Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start picking my lips with my fingernails until they bleed...a habit I've been trying to get rid of, but sadly, it comes back in viral epidemics. And if I try to chew the inside of my mouth, it twists my lips into weird grimaces (awful for when I'm in public.) And if I'm at a place I absolutely do not want to be my face becomes frozen in this cold mask...I recently found out I do that in class, too. My friends couldn't quite mimick it, but described it as this regal, above-you-and-this-place sort of look.

Whoops! xD (Although it made me pervertedly please :laughing:)

That's my iron grip coming down on my emotions.

LOL so what about you other types? What are your outward signs of stress?

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I pull out my hair, rub my temples with my hand, bite my lowe lip, put my head in my hand, and kind of rub my forehead a little bit. Of course, there's the serious, stressed face I put on. if it's really stressing me out, there's probably some foul language used, and most likely a trip to the liqour store will ensue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I'm stressed I try to recede into a silent place to brood, write or play/listen to music, but when I'm in public, or denied the commodity of solitude, I'll bite my fingernails, chew my cheeks, gnash my teeth and glower to myself without making eye contact with anyone, whether they're familiar or foreign to me. If I'm very perturbed I'll rub my eyes and fidget excessively while I introspect, whether I'm in the presence of others or not. Inside of my head I usually dwell on whatever it is that's upsetting me as well as the stress itself while I stare into space, which invariably exacerbates those ill feelings; it's a bit of a vicious circle!

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at regulating and repressing my moods, and if I do manage to stifle bad feelings they usually resurface more potently and amplify the physical and mental symptoms I've already outlined.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If something is going wrong and I can't do anything about it, I just kind of ignore it and focus on something else. Often, I am the only calm person around when there's a crisis.
I do get antsy sometimes and pace a lot, though.
And then the pacing, if I'm wearing socks, evolves into sliding on my hardwood floors and I feel better.
I am a very simple person sometimes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Typically, I bite my fingernails, and my overall movement gets a little jerky and awkward, because while I'm over-thinking the source of my stress, I'm also over-thinking basic motor skills for some reason. I think the best remedy I've found for my stress is either some quiet, isolated place, or a close friend to help me kind of identify what's wrong and how to fix it (or just to complain about it).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I bite my fingernails (though I do that when not stressed as well, just out of habit -- and being somewhat of a germophobe, I wouldn't do it in public if I'd been touching stuff and hadn't had a chance to wash my hands), pick at my nails and the skin around them with sharp objects, chew the inside of my mouth (I have bad scarring from many years of that), bite/suck/lick my lips, put my head in my hands or somehow touch my face in a way that sort of seems like I'm trying to hide it from others' view, jiggle or somehow fidget with my legs and feet, rock back and forth slightly...

Under acute (or prolonged and intense) stress, I can get palpitations and often a sense of depersonalisation.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Usually, I dont really show it to other people. I'm usually really calm and collected when crazy stuff is going on, but sometimes I get so worked up I start biting my nails and getting all hyperactive. I'm usually the one people look to to solve problems, and I have no problem remaining calm, but when I'm stressed about my own thoughts is when it starts to show

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't stress, cause in 99% of the cases it's no need to. There's can be a solution found to any problem, and if don't find any, it means that the problem isn't important enough, so I don't even want to put my energy into thinking of a solution.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
- My room will fall apart, it will turn into one major dump.
- I pick my fingers and bite my lips.
- Self criticism and criticism others.
- Become defensive.
- Lose control over thoughts.
- Shaky hands.
- My face will feel all stiff.
- I will start procrastinating a lot.
- I will try to manage by joking around.

Apparently it is very clear to others when i'm stressed and anxious. I just show it strongly in my body-language.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If something is going wrong and I can't do anything about it, I just kind of ignore it and focus on something else.
And then the pacing, if I'm wearing socks, evolves into sliding on my hardwood floors and I feel better.
I am a very simple person sometimes.
Hahaha brilliant! I have hardwood floors too, and I used to do that ALL. THE. TIME. Freakishly fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
- My room will fall apart, it will turn into one major dump.
- I pick my fingers and bite my lips.
- Self criticism and criticism others.
- Become defensive.
Woah, all of the above sounds a lot like me...it's not necessarily apparent to others who don't know me very well when I'm stressed, though, I just freeze up and look threatening. :kitteh:

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I become critical and short-tempered. Often that shows on my face.

Reactions: VoiceOfSilver

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can fall into a very effective mode where I can outline a whole book and do 500 math problems in one sitting... if I'm sufficiently stressed. But that happens rarely. If I'm mildly stressed, I just procrastinate more, and more, until after two weeks I get everything done in one very long, sleepless go.
Running is also a really important outlet for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I bite all over the inside of my mouth. I have a line on the inside of my mouth that would look like a chelsea grin if it were on the outside and I just keep biting it and making it worse lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bite my lips and then I have to do something with my hands (cracking knuckles, playing around w/something in my pocket), and then usually just anger lol

Doesn't work out well for others, and in turn, me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hah, I got a chuckle when I read the last few posts- every seems to abuse their lips. (-;

1 - 18 of 18 Posts