Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My curiosity has been dead for a while. The only thing I've been curious about is when it seems like there has been a breakthrough as I'm analyzing existentialism.

What beings interest out for you? When you do become curious, why do you? What makes you more curious about x than y? How do you avoid big topic stagnancy?(when you go to philosophical topics and the topics seem all encompassing...as if there ia no more novelty left?)

Edit: inb4 Dark Barlow troll post

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Lol, no wonder if you are 'analyzing' a flat philosophy like existentialism. I mean, there is not much to become curious about with humanistic believes - the issues they raise don't need a tremendous amount of solving. I think spiritual topics are a lot more entertaining for that matter. Mystic considerations will never cease to make you wonder, as it adds many dimensions that existentialism bans from the imagination.

After all, to become curious about something doesn't call for any serious conviction, except for the belief that part of you (even if it is just the 1%) admits that it doesn't have a clue about what the hell is going on - or at least considers the possibility that there are certain truths left for you to discover.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
It just happens. Heck. my interests jump around so much. Did the philosophy/religions subject fifteen years ago.

I was really into learning about health, and what stuff was just covering symptoms and what was real cures(inspired by an injury I had where a doc said surgery was the only way, but found out physical therapy alone worked great and actually had a higher success rate). Then I played the video game Red Dead Redemption, and I was curious about if they used real guns from that time, which led to finding out what weapons were really like back in the old west days and how they developed(movies don't show everything right). That led me to finding out what real life was like in the old west. Now for the last 5 years I've become quite an amateur old west historian.

Then there was my fascination with anthropology and ancient history nearly 20 years ago. Rekindled recently by some history channel show on television, and now with all the info easily available on the internet I am now learning about what the region around the Mediterranean like in 1200 BC, chosen because that's around the arrival of the iron age and the time that Troy fell. Don't know why that makes a difference except it sounded like it would be a good time to set a novel in.

Why these historical times and not something else? I don't know, just imagining what living life, traveling, etc must have been like back then fascinates me.

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
You don't just "spur" curiosity. That sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that something is interesting, when your mind doesn't seem to agree. That's not that you can't later find a topic interesting that you dismissed or glossed over before...sometimes it's about finding the right angle.

To me, it always seems to start with a question. It could be as simple as "what's up with that?" or "I wonder how that began?" or "are these things related?"

So why are you studying existentialism? What attracts you to that philosophy? Are you eagerly studying it, or are you forcing yourself to consume information because you think it will somehow make you understand things/people better -- or that it's something you "should" know?

What makes me more curious about X than Y? I'm not sure I can totally explain that. It's an attraction to something. An interest. I'm sure it can be explained scientifically -- but, relevant to the topic -- I guess I'm just not that curious about that....right now.

My advice? Don't burn yourself out trying to make yourself curious about something. Let it happen naturally. And when you do feel that curious itch, it's OK to scratch it for a bit. There's all kinds of random, and probably useless knowledge I have acquired. And I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Edit: inb4 Dark Barlow troll post
Like it's my fault you said, "Ok, one last question..." 20 questions ago. Besides, I'm only trying to help.

Look here: Back when I was young, insecure and questioning a very good friend said this about me during the depths of an acid trip in a room full of people: "Look! He's trying to be himself and looking to me for help!" Then he laughed and laughed and laughed. At me, not with me. Epiphany. Charlie Fingers (he could roll like nobody's business) and Lao Tzu, who knew? At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and what you want.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Normally for me it takes a statement of which I can 'feel' it is incorrect about whatever the topic is. Spurs me to search for the real deal.
Too often it has/was proven the other side to be uninformed / shortsighted / lying / false source / keeping important notes out.
So that makes one curious, as to how things actually are, instead of what is told.

Since I think most INTP are natural sceptics, it's quite logical we find our pleasure in finding out the/our own 'truth'.

When I don't know the exact meaning of a word or phrase, I look it up, did so since I could read. When it is a descriptor of something I know shit about, I read up on it and so on. Though it's quite random I think.
Reason to analyse, thanks.

·
Registered
INTP
4,483 Posts
@Nashvols might be onto something. Maybe you think you should be interested in things you're not really interested in. Maybe your friend or someone else is fascinated by X, so you study up on it and it just doesn't do it for you. I experienced this a lot as a young person.

Almost anything can spark my curiosity. Looking at my glass mug, I might want to look up how glass is made (and how crystal is made), or why some kinds of glass break when you add hot liquids and some don't, or why Russians drink hot drinks from a glass--if in fact they do--(and if so, how they avoid burning their fingers), or the best temperature for mixing cocoa so it won't leave sludge in the bottom.

I'm curious about philosophy or politics, but in my own way. I basically don't like discussing them with anyone. So if anyone says I'm not interested in these things, that's fine with me.

If I get tired of a topic, I just drop it. I could be reading the most interesting book in the world, about science or economics or whatever, and I might lose interest halfway through. That's okay, I just stop reading.

If I need to know something for practical reasons, I can stay interested longer.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Islandlight, just reading your post about your mug, made me think of a beer mug, then that made me think about looking into making my own beer. So, I'm sure at some point when I get time I'll look that up, well unless something else grabs me before then. See that's just how it works for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't just "spur" curiosity. That sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that something is interesting, when your mind doesn't seem to agree. That's not that you can't later find a topic interesting that you dismissed or glossed over before...sometimes it's about finding the right angle.

To me, it always seems to start with a question. It could be as simple as "what's up with that?" or "I wonder how that began?" or "are these things related?"

So why are you studying existentialism? What attracts you to that philosophy? Are you eagerly studying it, or are you forcing yourself to consume information because you think it will somehow make you understand things/people better -- or that it's something you "should" know?

What makes me more curious about X than Y? I'm not sure I can totally explain that. It's an attraction to something. An interest. I'm sure it can be explained scientifically -- but, relevant to the topic -- I guess I'm just not that curious about that....right now.

My advice? Don't burn yourself out trying to make yourself curious about something. Let it happen naturally. And when you do feel that curious itch, it's OK to scratch it for a bit. There's all kinds of random, and probably useless knowledge I have acquired. And I don't regret it one bit.
Existentialism became a topic of interest(and subsequently a topic of exhaustion) for me when I started looking for how philosophers(because I am logical like them) found meaning and motivation when I couldn't find any within myself. This in turn led to an interest in mbti and boredom because you can't assign value and gain motivation through logic(this is a little nuanced but I don't really want to get super into it for where it can lend motivation and where it can't, I'm sure you can see it). The only answer is to find what your genetics find motivating/engaging or emotionally...awakening. Big 5 is essentially useless so I came to mbti. Analyzed boredom for a bit, analyzed self knowledge for a bit. I mean, in essence, it's a matter of narrowing down what potential interests would be so that I don't have to try everything to find interests. I know others have said this is a poor idea, but tbh I don't really know another way of going about it. Mbti/jung is probably the most descriptive personality test(big 5 might as well be useless tbh) and jung's cognitive functions seem pretty all encompassing for cognition(could be wrong). It's either figure out mbti completely or try things...I'm strong at analysis and reading mbti doesn't take too much physical effort(I don't have a car either). So you can see the path of reasoning. When I stop I don't seem to naturally find curiosity in anything so it's just a predicament.

The key is in the perception functions, but it's literally impossible to perceive your own perception functions(if you are reserving your perception back so that it can analyze itself then you perception isn't going to be busy actually doing cognition...it's like holding back your perception to analyze a train that is never going to arrive). Without curiosity there is little thought being added to analyze after the moment and my memories don't seem to be accurate enough to figure out my perception functions in a reliable way. So I'm working with a discrete amount of memory that is not growing in a way that is particularly helpful. Honestly it's a little funny just thinking about the situation and how absolutely moronic it is.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Honestly it's a little funny just thinking about the situation and how absolutely moronic it is.
I know. And the more I point this out, the less seriously you take me. Go figure.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Are you curious about my October avatar? It's Mr. Sin, the pig-brained Peking Homunculus. You know, for Halloween. Last year I went as Jimmy Savile.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm very familiar with the loss of novelty. I'm lucky to have gotten a really cool job, my life has just become an obsession with learning. Excel functions, now code and math. In pursuit of expansive ideas: "how can I do this better or faster?" , "what can I discover in our data that we don't know?" etc etc

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
Existentialism became a topic of interest(and subsequently a topic of exhaustion) for me when I started looking for how philosophers(because I am logical like them) found meaning and motivation when I couldn't find any within myself. This in turn led to an interest in mbti and boredom because you can't assign value and gain motivation through logic(this is a little nuanced but I don't really want to get super into it for where it can lend motivation and where it can't, I'm sure you can see it). The only answer is to find what your genetics find motivating/engaging or emotionally...awakening. Big 5 is essentially useless so I came to mbti. Analyzed boredom for a bit, analyzed self knowledge for a bit. I mean, in essence, it's a matter of narrowing down what potential interests would be so that I don't have to try everything to find interests. I know others have said this is a poor idea, but tbh I don't really know another way of going about it. Mbti/jung is probably the most descriptive personality test(big 5 might as well be useless tbh) and jung's cognitive functions seem pretty all encompassing for cognition(could be wrong). It's either figure out mbti completely or try things...I'm strong at analysis and reading mbti doesn't take too much physical effort(I don't have a car either). So you can see the path of reasoning. When I stop I don't seem to naturally find curiosity in anything so it's just a predicament.

The key is in the perception functions, but it's literally impossible to perceive your own perception functions(if you are reserving your perception back so that it can analyze itself then you perception isn't going to be busy actually doing cognition...it's like holding back your perception to analyze a train that is never going to arrive). Without curiosity there is little thought being added to analyze after the moment and my memories don't seem to be accurate enough to figure out my perception functions in a reliable way. So I'm working with a discrete amount of memory that is not growing in a way that is particularly helpful. Honestly it's a little funny just thinking about the situation and how absolutely moronic it is.
What do you do for fun?

What do you do at random?

When is the last time you researched something on a whim?

Get drunk and/or high and give your Ti a rest.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. And the more I point this out, the less seriously you take me. Go figure.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

Are you curious about my October avatar? It's Mr. Sin, the pig-brained Peking Homunculus. You know, for Halloween. Last year I went as Jimmy Savile.
I guess I didn't catch that was what you were trying to point out. I still don't really see your advice particularly. I'll go look back on the old posts that you put in my threads, but I don't remember your advice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you do for fun?

What do you do at random?

When is the last time you researched something on a whim?

Get drunk and/or high and give your Ti a rest.
I do video games and hang out with friends. Video games include: call of duty 4, league of legends, overwatch, gears of war, halo wars, halo 2. Very good at call of duty, halo 2, league of legends, halo wars. Occasionally I play risk or a board me but they get boring if I do them too much(the board games).

I don't. I lay in bed and think about what I might want to do but nothing seems even remotely engaging when I think about the activity(I do want to do tennis/pickleball soon though). The things I have tried have not been engaging.

Idk if I ever did this, but definently not in a long time.

I get high pretty often, it just never leads anywhere. I just hang out with friends or play video games and then go back to doing nothing again after, which is boring.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm very familiar with the loss of novelty. I'm lucky to have gotten a really cool job, my life has just become an obsession with learning. Excel functions, now code and math. In pursuit of expansive ideas: "how can I do this better or faster?" , "what can I discover in our data that we don't know?" etc etc
This seems to be pretty common theme for INTP, a love of learning and they just bolt off. Has programming and functions been your only interest or have you always loved learning about anything and everything?

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
I do video games and hang out with friends. Video games include: call of duty 4, league of legends, overwatch, gears of war, halo wars, halo 2. Very good at call of duty, halo 2, league of legends, halo wars. Occasionally I play risk or a board me but they get boring if I do them too much(the board games).
I didn't ask what you are good at. I asked what you did for fun. Some people find video games fun. I used to. I no longer do. I enjoyed beating people, but in the end, I got little satisfaction out of the game once I figured out how it worked (regardless of my proficiency -- it ended up as a quest for high scores....and that only lead so far).

What do you do with your friends besides play videogames?

I don't. I lay in bed and think about what I might want to do but nothing seems even remotely engaging when I think about the activity(I do want to do tennis/pickleball soon though). The things I have tried have not been engaging.
Then stop thinking. Just go do. You're stuck. I've been there. Stop listening to yourself. Be a little more spontaneous.

You sound like you're in a rut. The next crazy idea that comes up (either from you, or a friend....though it sounds like lately it will have to come from a friend)....go do it.

Idk if I ever did this, but definently not in a long time.
What makes you pick your interests?

I get high pretty often, it just never leads anywhere. I just hang out with friends or play video games and then go back to doing nothing again after, which is boring.
You've never had deep random reflective thoughts while getting high? No "aha" moments? What kind of swag are you smoking??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't ask what you are good at. I asked what you did for fun. Some people find video games fun. I used to. I no longer do. I enjoyed beating people, but in the end, I got little satisfaction out of the game once I figured out how it worked (regardless of my proficiency -- it ended up as a quest for high scores....and that only lead so far).

What do you do with your friends besides play videogames?

Then stop thinking. Just go do. You're stuck. I've been there. Stop listening to yourself. Be a little more spontaneous.

You sound like you're in a rut. The next crazy idea that comes up (either from you, or a friend....though it sounds like lately it will have to come from a friend)....go do it.

What makes you pick your interests?

You've never had deep random reflective thoughts while getting high? No "aha" moments? What kind of swag are you smoking??
That is what I do for fun kind of. It gets boring quickly, but I do it nonetheless because I have nothing else I do. It's either that or listen to music on the bed. Competitive is really the only thing satisfying game wise because it always makes it a challenge for speed and skill shooter wise. The game's campaign or anything like that is boring.

I just hang out with friends at our place, and we smoke and watch movies or hang out in the pool or go hiking, but I don't do any of those things alone. Not really too interested by them. I have a difficult time moving on to new movies because I just dislike the disatisfaction from choosing a bad movie or show. I keep sticking with comedies that I know are funny, but overtime it gets old of course. I just tend not to choose something new regardless.

I'm not sure. I havn't picked one in a while. I've just kind of kept the same general hobbies and picked up a couple from friends so we can do them together.

Not really any Aha moments I guess. I tend to be around people when high and we just watch things. Occassionally I'll figure something out by analyzing it while high, but in general not too much introspection. I talk to other people about life and society/perspectives/philosophy. I tend to talk to others about their problems and analyze them to help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@DarkBarlow , I looked at the old post that you put advice in. I believe I am in a healthier place than I was before. I have more motivation, but there is a decisive lack of direction to that motivation.( I eat much more heathy now too, I work, I have the energy to do, but no thing that gived satisfaction from doing)That was what led me to that post you commented on about how can INTPs engage with their local community in daily life in a way that gives them energy. Some of the people in that older thread where I read your advice danced around nihilism, and some danced around the helping of other people. The nihilism thing is clearly not the problem at all. I want to help other people, but doing so in a way that is engaging has been incredibly hard to find. Teaching was the go to for alot of the INTPs but I don't particularly find satisfaction/engagement/enjoyment from it. It seems there is a lack of the sweet spot for what engages an INTP if they aren't as curious.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This seems to be pretty common theme for INTP, a love of learning and they just bolt off. Has programming and functions been your only interest or have you always loved learning about anything and everything?
No to both of those questions. But only a partial no to the second question. I haven't always enjoyed learning so much as discovering. The difference being that I could learn a bunch of facts in school but if it doesn't relate to something I'm curious about I couldn't care less. So discovery is basically just having a curiosity about the world and then finding out more about it. Learning on the other hand is independent of curiosity. You can be forced to learn trivial things. Meh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts