Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I have Winter Formal. I enjoy dances very much. I go to a small school where no one can dance and we just kinda jump up and down and act awkward.

There's one thing that's bothering me a lot though. Usually I would go with friends and we'd all just hang out. I don't really want a date because I don't want to feel like I have to hang out with one person the whole time, but all of my friends have dates. I'm going to end up going with two friends who have two dates. My other friend invited me over before the dance, but now she's going with her boyfriend and won't even respond when I try and ask her what's going on (she never told me going to her house was off). Other friends don't even bother inviting me over. Either way, all of my close friends have dates. I just don't want to be left out. As much as my friends want to include me, their boyfriends/dates get kinda possessive over them and they're constantly talking to each other or hugging or making out, and suddenly I'm just awkwardly standing there watching, eventually having to walk away. I'm afraid my night's going to be ruined, which I don't want to happen. I just want to have fun :(

Can anyone give me any tips on how to survive the night?

P.S. I'm a wallflower. Being the life of the party isn't my thing, but I wouldn't mind talking one-on-one to whoever :)

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I like to people watch. Which usually devolves into playing silly games in my head. Who here is most likely to secretly be a spy? Who'd look the best with their head shaved? If one person was a time-traveler trying to go undercover, who would it be? Just random stuff like that.

You might be able to find a friend in another wallflower. I've found some great friends because we both were the ones hovering uncomfortably by the snack table at parties :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well I doubt they will all dance at the same time for the whole time so you might want to hang out with those who don't dance and if they're busy with other things go to the others.
Other thanthat you can just watch people, bring a book with you and read outside where there's more light and less noise yet still have the music because it's probably gonna be really loud...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe it's good to organize things so that you can leave the party at any time you want (have an escape plan). Also, be prepared that you might be needed as a friend: alcohol, music & people can lead to disharmonies between couples. In the meantime, consider the event as a possibility to meet somebody new: choose the most sympathetic looking wallflower and just stand next to her/him. When he/she likes you, he/she will start talking after a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts