Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i am a super sensitive girl wich isn't always nice, I find my self often stuck in my emotions, i don't seem to overcome them and hold them in or just let them go.
If i get embarrassed in public i get overwhelmed to a point where all my senses stop working properly for a few seconds.. i don't know what am i hearing or seeing for example.
I dont know how i used to manage things in the past but currently I'm going through hard years and I'm afraid if i don't overcome whatever I'm facing that I'll sink deep in!

·
Registered
75 Posts
hit, smash, run/jog, cry, yoga, scream, mediate, exercise.

Just a few things I do that help sometimes, obviously some are healthier than others.

But honestly, I'm so thankful I have such a capacity to FEEL. When positive feelings arise, I bask in them. But when negative feelings happen, most of the times I let them take me down with them, but sometimes I practice a sorta mindfulness, where I don't react and just observe the feeling, hence not giving it any power over you.

But this is also a bit dangerous, for me, because you end up in this neutral state where you're neither happy nor sad. It's scary because, as I said, I love my capacity to feel, and in that state I don't really feel anything, and I scare myself into thinking I've lost that part of me. The empathetic, passionate, sensitive part. So I put myself in pain just so I know I can feel something, because I'd rather be in agony than to feel nothing. It's either I'm super happy (happiness levels fluctuate but it's usually above average) or I'm super sad. Which I know is unhealthy and I'm trying to work on it. But the things I mentioned above do help me get to a balanced level at times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hit, smash, run/jog, cry, yoga, scream, mediate, exercise.

Just a few things I do that help sometimes, obviously some are healthier than others.

But honestly, I'm so thankful I have such a capacity to FEEL. When positive feelings arise, I bask in them. But when negative feelings happen, most of the times I let them take me down with them, but sometimes I practice a sorta mindfulness, where I don't react and just observe the feeling, hence not giving it any power over you.

But this is also a bit dangerous, for me, because you end up in this neutral state where you're neither happy nor sad. It's scary because, as I said, I love my capacity to feel, and in that state I don't really feel anything, and I scare myself into thinking I've lost that part of me. The empathetic, passionate, sensitive part. So I put myself in pain just so I know I can feel something, because I'd rather be in agony than to feel nothing. It's either I'm super happy (happiness levels fluctuate but it's usually above average) or I'm super sad. Which I know is unhealthy and I'm trying to work on it. But the things I mentioned above do help me get to a balanced level at times.
Thanks @Scared .. me too, when I'm happy I AM HAPPY , and its contagious i give everyone i make sure i feed people around me and make them happy and all laughing.
when I'm sad i just live the agony !
anyways , I'll these things you mentioned i try doing them but i just end up wasting time .. for some reason my feelings don't go away until i talk about them.
and no one wants to deal with mt BS so..
is there any sort of cognitive therapy that i could help myself with to fully over come hardships?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I usually remove myself from the public and try to find the reason i am feeling a certain way. I've found more and deeper you understand the core of emotions, you develop a skill to deal with them. That doesn't necessarily mean the emotions will be removed from you, but you just know what triggers them and how you can get rid of them/react to them less painfully.

But until you get to that point, it would mean you will have to really sit through your feelings and be completely honest with yourself. Your values and fears may sneak in and your defense mechanisms may pop up, but once you get through them, you become more self-aware.

But having a couple of friends who understands you will definitely help. Write it out, talk it out, really try to process them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks @Scared .. me too, when I'm happy I AM HAPPY , and its contagious i give everyone i make sure i feed people around me and make them happy and all laughing.
anyways , I'll these things you mentioned i try doing them but i just end up wasting time .. for some reason my feelings don't go away until i talk about them.
is there any sort of cognitive therapy that i could help myself with to fully over come hardships?
@agirlxnfp Try https://hemi-sync.com/

I use it a lot for sleep, lucid dreaming and out-of-body-experiences but there's a vast amount of possibilities and applications for it, as you'll see if you hit the 'experience' tab. It was developed by Robert Monroe of the Monroe Institute, look up his interview with Art Bell to see more about that.

Also, you could find just simply talking to yourself to be very helpful for these kind of things. I live near a body of water, so I usually take my pipe and head on over there to hash some things out among myself. No one understands you better than you. Although when you find someone that you connect with and can talk about these things with, that will also be therapeutic

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Hello everyone, i am a super sensitive girl wich isn't always nice, I find my self often stuck in my emotions, i don't seem to overcome them and hold them in or just let them go.
If i get embarrassed in public i get overwhelmed to a point where all my senses stop working properly for a few seconds.. i don't know what am i hearing or seeing for example.
I dont know how i used to manage things in the past but currently I'm going through hard years and I'm afraid if i don't overcome whatever I'm facing that I'll sink deep in!

Welcome to the forums!

When I get what you get "my senses stop working properly for a few seconds" I call it 'flipping my circuit breaker'. When that happens I usually just find a place to hide for a while. I also tend to read my happy-place books (my wife gave me the complete Calvin and Hobbes collection for our wedding).

For less taxing of emotions, I often turn to music. I like a variety of emotions when it comes to music. I tend to match how I feel to what music I listen to.

And yes, if I have to I'll cry. I don't have any qualms about that.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I journal. Write it all out, everything. Then I feel better and go do something else.

If I'm emotional-ing in public and it's overwhelming, I detach from my environment and go inwards. I no longer speak, and I just contain my energy, borrowing time until I'm home and can express myself to myself.

Now, if I make a fool of myself in public and I feel devastated, I pretend I'm okay, smile, pretend I'm confident and unaffected, deflect attention from myself, and once the people are focusing on something else, I will do what I said above: detach from the environment, go inwards and save my energy, like incubating.

But, if this "public" is people I trust, like my nuclear family or a SO, I don't detach. I'm just myself, and if I want to scream I'll do just that and know that they got me, if I'm embarrassed I'll say "Fuck I'm so embarrassed right now because A B C". Just express the stuff, get it out of the system so it leaves me the fuck alone. Some emotions are inconvenient, so I just spit them out quick and give them to the gods. Better out than in (which is why journaling is also excellent).

Once at home, if I feel too emotionally affected by what happened and I see that it's getting in the way, I go to youtube and do a search for whatever my problem is at the time. So for example let's imagine I made a fool of myself and I can't get over it, I will do a search for "how to overcome shame" and/or "how to stop caring about what people think" whatever describes my problem. Hearing someone talk about it through the screen makes me feel better, gives me food for thought, makes me feel that I'm not alone and there are more people out there going through this, etc.

If all else fails, I call my sister and vent. Just talking about it out loud with someone I trust automatically makes me feel better, like they just took weight off my shoulders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for asking this question!! It's exactly, what I've been asking myself over decades. Not only about feeling shame, (and I hate being embarrassed in public like nothing else) but also about having such intense feelings at all. Is it just me, who's feeling like this?
The answer is: Yes, most of the time I am the only one. But out there, as you can see, there are others like us.

If I have one of my "please wrap me into a blanket roll and leave me alone and hug me at the same time day" I do exactly this. I hide under a huge, warm blanket nurturing myself, telling myself everything is going to be fine, because mostly I am overreacting, taking things to seriously or personally, thinking and thinking situations over and over again even, when other people just have forgotten about it yet or aren't giving a damn sh....

Another thing helping me in such cases is making sports, either to just breathe and feel my body or to discuss the problem with myself by going through all possibilities, every option, every end this could lead to. And by this I literaly mean every option from "everyone could hate me", over "nobody cares" to "am I an alien from another universe?", "I could quit my job and leave the town" or "what, if the world explodes tomorrow". Than I try to balance all of these eventualities and even, if this fails, I afterwards feel like being prepared, or at least a little bit better prepared, for everything, that may happen.

And if I cannot overcome all the feelings after days or weeks of hiding and self discussions I hope to be understood by my husband or a good friend, what most of the time feels like just the thing I needed, even though no one get's the complete inner core. But that's fine for me, because it is the last wall I've got to hide behind.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If I have one of my "please wrap me into a blanket roll and leave me alone and hug me at the same time day" I do exactly this. I hide under a huge, warm blanket nurturing myself, telling myself everything is going to be fine, because mostly I am overreacting, taking things to seriously or personally, thinking and thinking situations over and over again even, when other people just have forgotten about it yet or aren't giving a damn sh....
This is good insight.

I think the root problem is that we do not give ourselves permission to experience our emotions. Somewhere along the line we learned that being emotional is pointless and we should ignore how we feel - just move along.

Well, I know there are people who can just simply do this but this isn't the case for feeler types.

As was pointed out in the previous posts here, we need to allow ourselves to experience them so that we can see where they come from.

Often, it is the ignoring of our feelings that creates a backlog of emotion to overwhelm us. This can be because we are not yet skilled in identifying our feelings and putting them into words.

Besides ignoring how we feel, we sometimes need to discover deeply ingrained thought patterns that are inaccurate and will always cause us anxiety because they are false beliefs about ourselves.

Then as we acquire more skills in dealing with our emotions, there will be new situations which evoke strong negative feelings we haven't encountered before and we get the impression we might never get the hang of it. But again the allowing ourselves the space to process as well as to understand that we need to develop better understanding of ourselves an why and how we are feeling the way we do.

Be patient. Be forgiving. Let time heal.

·
Registered
779 Posts
That is the key right there: emotions dissipate faster if you give them the space to process. If no one is around to listen then diary is a good substitute.
I have mellowed out a lot since i started running regularly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got myself the comfiest bed possible (queen size so half of the bed can be for the plushies), noise isolating headphones, acupressure mat, acupressure massage balls, lots of lavender oil, exercise, yoga, gaming laptop so I can play games in bed, anime plushies, plushies, plushies, did I mention plushies?

I don't allow anyone in to my safe place unless hugs and cuddles are involved. Mostly because my mind and body are rejuvenating.

I'm generally a docile mellow person, but I either numb out or something similar to this song when I start to get upset:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got myself the comfiest bed possible (queen size so half of the bed can be for the plushies), noise isolating headphones, acupressure mat, acupressure massage balls, lots of lavender oil, exercise, yoga, gaming laptop so I can play games in bed, anime plushies, plushies, plushies, did I mention plushies?
Oh yeah,plushies are the best! There is no safe place without my blue rabbit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts