Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how other ISTJs take notes.

My notes are kinda erratic and overly simplified. Add my sloppy handwriting to the mix and you get what appears to be a notebook full of alien code. A general rule with my notes is, I can read/understand them for about a month after I write them, but after that I can't figure out what I was writing for the life of me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The wonderful world of note taking. If it was a definition i would try to underline that word so i knew it was of some importance. Usually you develop some form of short hand cause you need to get the main idea and you cant really everything said word for word. Sometimes i would use arrows to connect ideas or if something was similar to something i had written earlier.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I would think this would depend on the type of meeting. A lecture where the lecturer is simply speaking and not using any written medium would be different than one with a written medium. Also, a meeting where you are participating and taking notes of action items--such as a board meeting or a committee meeting would be very different.

I have been known to use a voice recorder. This allows me to focus on what is being said rather than taking notes. I then go back and review the recorded data, making notes as needed. If there is a white board involved, then I will write down what the lecturer writes down for review with the recorded data.

My next laptop will be a tablet so that I can take notes without having to type--a class of clicking noises is distracting.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My next laptop will be a tablet so that I can take notes without having to type--a class of clicking noises is distracting.
I can't stand taking notes with anything other than a laptop, but I type around 100 words per minute. I can usually type out a powerpoint slide that my professor puts up in class before he can read it/go over it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My notes are usually pretty messy since I have terrible handwriting, but I can usually read them afterwards.

If I actually need them again, I'll rewrite them more neatly in a notebook I use for the subject. With multi-colour pens so that 1) my notes don't looks so boring (lol) and 2) they're easier to remember.

A laptop works too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
To do notes - dot points of steps that need to be remembered for more complicated tasks, and the details that the had been emphasised. Usually scribbled, then re-ordered and written neater and on one list.

Messages/notes to others - neat and specific. Lately, these have been more scripty handwriting... dunno why.

Minutes (ie: not actually part of meeting, just minuting) - scribbled notes, mainly headings, key details/comments, outcomes and tasks, but then I spend the next few hours re-constructing the majority of what was said using my notes as memory joggers. The first time I took minutes it was about 7 pages long...X said this, Y queried that, Z said that... my manager gave them back and said that I was allowed to summarise them a bit more... LOL! :cool: Look at the notes later, they wouldn't make sense, but the minutes created from them will.

Notes from a complaint phone call - extremely detailed and neat and usually done straight after the call and only written once. Some short details during the call (name, contact number, specific details, etc), but just scribbled.

Class notes - usually additional information added to the edges of the handouts. Reminders to test various things or research a related item, or to double check the answer that the teacher gave, or to figure out the answer to the questions that the teacher said "you'll have to find out" (avoiding answering my questions? hmmmmm?).

Talking of mediums, I've generally used pen (phases of blue, black & purple) and paper (phases of lined and blank)... recently I've changed to pencil for some things. My notes all go in the same book, although I have a couple of books (work stuff, at the computer, for job searching, etc). I've never used voice recorder or laptop, harder to draw connecting arrows and symbols and stuff. For brainstorming and coding issues, I've found that a whiteboard is best.

Reactions: Achi, Sela and niss

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I probably take WAY TOO MANY notes, but every professor is different and I have to had taken a test or two in that particular class to get the idea of what that professor thinks is important (IOW, what will be on the test). I've gotten slightly better at it in that while I can type EXTREMELY quickly, I'd rather be spending time actually WORKING on something for the class (paper, project, etc., and knocking out actual tasks). Plus add to the mix that regardless of how many or how few notes I take, I do TERRIBLE on tests (fortunately for me I do very well at discussion boards, papers, etc. and it makes up for it), so one would think I would have learned my lesson by now. /bangs head on desk/

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Plus add to the mix that regardless of how many or how few notes I take, I do TERRIBLE on tests (fortunately for me I do very well at discussion boards, papers, etc. and it makes up for it), so one would think I would have learned my lesson by now. /bangs head on desk/
Interesting, I'm the complete opposite in this regard. I do not like papers. In fact, I hate writing papers with the burning passion of a thousand suns. When it comes to tests I'm usually able to breeze through it and get a good grade, though.

An example of this is I was 22 minutes late for class (what late ISTJ? I'm terrible at arriving places on time.) and we are only given the first 30 minutes of class to complete quizzes for my computer programming class, which we take online. So by the time I was logged in and everything I only had roughly 5 minutes to take the test and submit it before I was cut-off. I took the test in 4 minutes and 30 seconds and got the highest grade in the class (100%). My teacher walked up to me a few minutes later and loudly (trying to call me out in front of class) asked me about the test and if I was even able to submit it on time. I told him that I was able to submit it on time. He said something to the effect of "Ah. Okay. Since you didn't have much time you probably had to randomly guess on the questions and didn't make a very good grade". I told him I did pretty good. He loudly asked me what my grade was. I told him I got a 100% and he just made this face: :dry: then moved on with class.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
My keyboards are noisy I don't know how I could type in the middle of class, and also I'm not all that fast at typing, it would do me little good.

My preference is to have the outline from a ppt presentation in hand and take notes onto it from what is said during the lecture connecting to the current slide.

Niss was really on to something there. I hate how lectures are only able to be heard throughout the duration of the class, and I too have taken up the voice recorder with the permission of the professor. I take small notes during class and really try to grasp the concept being explained, leaving lots of space between my notes in order to add more detail during a second listening of the lecture later. The voice recorder adds more flexibility to what your capable of doing with a lecture because your literally taking the lecture with you. Its a good idea to make a note to yourself telling yourself when on the voice recorder to re-listen to certain parts for more detailed notes.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
An example of this is I was 22 minutes late for class (what late ISTJ? I'm terrible at arriving places on time.) and we are only given the first 30 minutes of class to complete quizzes for my computer programming class, which we take online. So by the time I was logged in and everything I only had roughly 5 minutes to take the test and submit it before I was cut-off. I took the test in 4 minutes and 30 seconds and got the highest grade in the class (100%). My teacher walked up to me a few minutes later and loudly (trying to call me out in front of class) asked me about the test and if I was even able to submit it on time. I told him that I was able to submit it on time. He said something to the effect of "Ah. Okay. Since you didn't have much time you probably had to randomly guess on the questions and didn't make a very good grade". I told him I did pretty good. He loudly asked me what my grade was. I told him I got a 100% and he just made this face: :dry: then moved on with class.
People read too much into our actions because they think we are drama queens or something. I'll normally state my intentions in some form if I do have a goal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My notes for all of my classes differ greatly because I have many different types of classes. For my English classes, I take detailed word-for-word notes from the professor, and I have a good filter for the professors' many ramblings. For my science classes, I find that I do not write the professors' words vebatim, but phrase concepts in my own words. I've noticed that a lot of (stupid) people tend to sit by me, and they look at/copy my notes (my handwriting is a bit large compared to others). This annoys me extremely, bit I've found that there is simply nothing I can do or say that will make people stop.
I take notes for myself too- to-do notes usually go on my hand or on a scrap of paper. Recently I have been drawing things instead of writing the word out; I find that it helps me remember more. I have a small notebook that I carry around that keeps phrases and such that I have been playfully creating in my mind. This helps me a lot, because I often can get caught up in thinking too much about things that are fictional or havent happened yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Usually detailed and organized. I can't understand what notes I take unless they're organized in a chart or laid out in an outline. I'm personally a fan of the Cornell note-taking system when it comes to comprehending what notes I take.

Reactions: Sela, niss and Wake

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i try to get as detailed notes as possible. if in class, my writing is hurried and I use my own short hand (mstly tkng out vwls + abrv.) :wink: Im so glad I can understand myself!! :cool:

if taking info out of a text book it gets much more neat (and I will actually use vowels) and structured. like this:

Chapter name and topic
* Section
-- main points
* * additional info

and so forth. I have a "system" I use and all my notes are pretty darn standardized!!

OWL

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Others read too much into the actions. Just because it took you 4 1/2 doesn't mean your flaunting your abilities, and that you are high on yourself, but instead you could so you did finish the test in that amount of time.
Ah. I only took it that quickly because I HAD to in order to not get a 0.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Ah. I only took it that quickly because I HAD to in order to not get a 0.
I figured, but your teacher connected the wrong dots. What, is that their intuition malfunctioning, and making an ass of themselves when they're wrong? I should study those letters harder, my brief studies have escaped me after so long

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
i try to get as detailed notes as possible. if in class, my writing is hurried and I use my own short hand (mstly tkng out vwls + abrv.) :wink: Im so glad I can understand myself!! :cool:
I abbreviate and take out vowels also. I thought I was the only one!:happy:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts