Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
MBTI is harmful in the way that anything creating groups can be harmful. While MBTI is meant to show and celebrate differences, there's a lot of instinctive prejudice that seems to pop up because people can now go, "The kind of people I dislike seem to be type XXXX, so I'll just avoid anyone that displays those qualities." While you may want avoid people with qualities that you don't like and cause you to not get along with them, MBTI can allow for people to do that preemptively, without trying to work around the differences that MBTI points out.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MBTI is harmful in the way that anything creating groups can be harmful. While MBTI is meant to show and celebrate differences, there's a lot of instinctive prejudice that seems to pop up because people can now go, "The kind of people I dislike seem to be type XXXX, so I'll just avoid anyone that displays those qualities." While you may want avoid people with qualities that you don't like and cause you to not get along with them, MBTI can allow for people to do that preemptively, without trying to work around the differences that MBTI points out.
that must be why my INTJ brother's second career is trying to tell me to stop reading MBTI. He must think I'm as quick to judge as he is (he is very quick to judge, btw, not because he's INTJ... or could it be? oh god!)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Anyone testing as xxxP would be at a disadvantage in the job market unless the job calls for skills specific to their type or temperament. If MBTI testing became widely practiced by employers, anyone having interests not typical to their type can just forget it. I.e., P's can't be managers, J's can't be technicians, F's can't be objective, T's can't empathize, etc.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point. Many managers do employ myers briggs, but may or may not discriminate upon it. I know my ESTJ dad immediately started quoting personality page when explaining to me his reason for doing certain things, which totally didn't fit with me at all.

In fact I wonder if I've done that before... actually I think I don't interact with people often enough for it to show.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
I can see a more sinister side to it that I wasn't aware of quite the same way before or perhaps I was partially aware of how different interactions were within an online community that discriminates consciously or unconsciously and in positive and negative ways towards other people's types.

Trying to refresh my perception of others after a long term study on functions which led me to learning other typologies has in no doubt stilted my view which I cannot deny, I see it in myself and others in the way I may have presumed things about others and being told things about myself which were painted absolute because the function theory says so.

I understand that the term - preference is used to describe what we lean towards in what it seems an automatic way, we don't need to think heavily about the approach we use because it is a preference, it is what we are instinctively drawn towards. And following recent discussion around here, it seems clear that we are within our capability to access our unconscious functions - to me, a fancy term for going about something in a way you don't normally, it's not impossible for me to match my feeling to the external/collective world but it does indeed exhaust me and assigning a value judgement on that preference being bad doesn't satisfy me either, I deem the function not preferred to me still necessary, an integral aspect of one whole, otherwise society would flop.

I've taken a more holistic approach to anything revolving around typing, I don't particularly like the word - type, it automatically fills us with assumptions and biases of how the personality is shaped before we have even met this person, in a square, a heart, a circle, it is too definitive, either that or people's interpretations of original literature is grossly misunderstood. And of course 3rd party information, the kind of information diluted too much from the source and when people assign traits and skills such as caring, friendly, smart, good at mathematics or art towards types, this is harmful, no personality theory as far as i know was researched with the intention of telling people they cannot wiggle about and not take on nice qualities, many had intentions of self improvement, it seems incompatible with human curiosity also, weakening social problem solving skills and working on easy data, curiosity is not type specific either, its not exclusive to 'n' types etc, it is something that keeps us from riding the hamster wheel.

As from knowing what my preferences are, I don't wish to dumb myself down which is what I think has been an occurrence recently or even longer than I may have thought. Without the knowledge of mbti, I would have to work other individuals out the harder way, cold reading would be out of the picture, I wouldn't be able to click on a type specific forum and find out all the behavioural tics and quirks, it seems some go as far as actually being able to describe very particular quirks of types and maybe about 8 out of 10 relate, I post in another type forum and find out that maybe 7 out of 10 also relate to that same quirk. But I do prefer to work others out without having to refer to a pre-established framework, depending on such a way of understand people removes the mystery, the effort required to understand them and while this has been immensely helpful to some, it hasn't always been for me and proves to be even less so in recent times.

Bottom line, I like to see others in a more free, organic light. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I imagine SJs find it annoying when there's only negative streotypes about them. Also, ESFP don't have it easy either.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think a lot of harm can potentially come with the stereotyping that can result with this sort of thing, such as "Oh, I don't like EXXX type because they're all a bunch of players" and et cetera, and automatically discounting them as a result of it. I prefer to look at each person based upon their own merits, and their actions, not by a perceived notion of who they are or who they ought to be type-wise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts