Personality Cafe banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts
How vivid is your imagination?
I have a pretty strong imagination.
When I was a kid, I would always come up with different scenarios. Usually I would craft different stories, and I can focus on developing those stories as time went on.
My family would move frequently when I was younger, so I was often the stranger in my schools. I probably developed that mindset to cope in some way, as I would often be more interested in those made-up stories than actually spending time with other people. I would often read various things that interested me, and dedicate time to learning those subjects (when I was younger, it was mainly freak weather and history). I would then use those subjects to envision imaginary scenarios.

I think this occurred before I developed my extroverted thinking.

As I got older, my imagination became more focused and precise. It is usually determined by my goals. If I want to conserve energy, then I will envision my plan or routine that will get me to that point.
But I also find that I constantly need to focus on something, my entire worldview is shaped on it. Even if that "something" is as simple as a daily routine. Otherwise, I start to become apathetic (no enthusiasm, have no interest/ concern for what others are doing) in my attitude.
Generally, the more I use my imagination to get what I need done and to solve obstacles in my path, the healthier I tend to be.

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something?
I think for the most part, it is certainly visual.
There may be some audio cues too, but that is usually dependent on the situation.

Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus?
My mind is usually very focused, almost to an annoying degree. Once I initialize myself to do something, it is very hard to sway me to another objective.
Here is the best way I can describe it. Imagine you have various different objectives set in front of you, the shape of which you can determine yourself. When I set my sights on one particular objective, it is like a switch flips, and the objective turns into a magnet. No matter what I do, I am always moving closer towards that specific goal.

For real life implications, let's say that I envision myself leaving my workspace (the store I help run in my spare time) as clean as possible.
With that goal in mind, almost every waking moment I am not dealing with customers, trade-ins, phone calls, etc; I am usually maintaining my environment in a way that will make it easier to match the objective I set for myself.
Even when I'm talking to someone, I am usually multi-tasking at the same time, so that I am always moving towards my end goal. My boss on the other hand, will frequently drop whatever he is doing to do other things, which is something I can't comprehend. I envy people who can do that.
Conversely, the more I am drawn away from my goal, the more annoyed I get. I usually have a set routine for myself, where everything occurs for a reason. That routine is made up of various objectives that all have a reason for being there, and I try to make it more and more efficient as possible.

When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all?
That depends on what my objective is.
If I have something else to focus on, I find it very difficult to concentrate on what the person is saying.
This is where people start to call me "dismissive", dispassionate, or that "I don't care". I will often have a hard time giving those people I don't deem essential attention, because I don't deem it important to do so.

If my objective is to actually talk to the person, I usually have different conclusions running through my head as I'm conversing with them.
I pay very close attention to what they are saying, and if there are any issues that person is having, my thoughts come up with ways to solve those issues.
In fact, sometimes it gets really detailed. The more I care about someone, the more I'll go out of my way to help them.

If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind?
I am a native English speaker, so I internalize my thoughts in English.
I used to be able to speak French, and I would often get sentences mixed up mid speech. But that is about it.

Reactions: Phil and ai.tran.75
How vivid are your imagination?
what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus
When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all
If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind

I guess I'll start- my thoughts are mainly verbal with specks of visualization - however when indulging in my imagination I can close my eyes and visualize /feel and somewhat smell where I'm at - I can even recall tastes but only up to 33 percent of reality .
My mind talks nonstop- and I have 3 or 4( maybe more) thoughts running all at once
For example- one part of my mind will be making a movie , another recalling a conversation with somebody but it's faded out , and then the main part would narrate or introspect itself.
My thoughts are always in English - when conversing in Vietnamese with my mom and relatives ( I can speak, read and write fluently in Vietnamese )
When conversing with somebody - my main focus will be talking to them - however my mind does jump around in visual thoughts and other false fantasize memories all at once . I tend to recall and remember what the other person is saying - however I find myself quite talkative- yet when the conversation is over I could only remember what the other party said .
When writing- my mind goes blank and I just write , sometimes it feels as if my writing junp out before my thoughts - same with reading and watching a movie I enjoy, it's as if my mind took a break for a while- however if I'm not fully captivated then random thoughts would occur.
My mind doesn't stop and I can easily introspect myself and make pro cons list in my mind- yet have soft melody of music ( only 25 % effective I can't actually hear the music out loud ) in the back ground . I replay conversations nonstop , and it's easy for me to drift off into daydreaming- more so if I'm listening to music .when certain emotions hits me- flash back of visual memory would occur- for example- I kept on seeing me as a four years old asking my dad who gave him his Picasso painting and he will say " you did" and for that brief moment I'll feel like I travel back in time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wow--what an interesting question.

I have a strong imagination. Sometimes it seems too strong.

I think I tend to use visual, tactile, and some sound.

I can visualize taste and smell, but only sometimes does smell come involuntarily--like I might wake up and miss the smell/taste of a certain food.

Like there is a Thai dessert called lod chong. When I was a kid I was babysat by a Thai family and rarely one of their relatives made lod chong and they shared with me along with their daughters. Though probably only two or three times. But sometimes I might miss the smell of the coconut milk or the unique taste of lod chong--I can imagine it right now, along with the texture of the cold noodles. I haven't had lod chong for like...at least 25 years. I really want to have lod chong again one day.

But usually I am just visualizing.

I think the mixture of having a voice in my head also sort of blurs the senses sometimes. So if I can't really visualize something, I might describe it with a mixed sensual experience. Like perhaps a color I don't quite remember is described with some association--like a bird or a sound. So in my imagination senses are not really defined the same way as in reality--my mind is more loose with how it describes the sensual experience.

I think about a ton of things when I'm talking to someone, but I try to focus on what they are saying as well (and looking attentive and not showing what I'm thinking).

I replay conversations like crazy. I also sometimes replay words in my mind if I'm writing. Sometimes, it's odd, but I'll make a spelling error in something I write (like a message board like this) and I'll leave off and do something else, like go run errands, but while I am driving I suddenly am certain that I spelled a word wrong. It's like my mind just sifts over it without much focus on my part.

Music has always been pretty rare though--I've dreamed of music a couple times, and once I've had music playing in my head when I was near a musician, which prompted me to ask him if he had music playing in his head, and he said all the time. But I don't really have a lot of musical intelligence.

I love visualizing though--it's amazing what you can imagine when you sit and focus.

Anxiety induces more tactile sensations though--when I am distressed I tend to focus more on how things would feel physically, perhaps it's also tied into nervous energy and just needing to pace.

I can differentiate two separate levels. I don't have very detailed dreams and daydreams when I just let my mind wander. It's more like several bubbles with barely there conscious thoughts flowing in the same space, making up some big hazy picture while some clear details pop up very suddenly, like zooming in and out in an unforced manner. That's my unlimited comfort zone. It's not visual, verbal or auditory in a specific way, even though all of these provide cues that begin the thought process. After that it's more beyond senses, more intuitive, very vague inner feelings that roam freely, fanning out in multiple directions.

On a more conscious level, when I have to come up with a solution to some specific problem or when I'm concentrating on something I have to accomplish, it's several possible scenarios intermingling towards an end goal in a forced manner. Then I'm getting out of my comfort zone to get some distance, to see how things "click". The thought process doesn't have to make sense in a specific way to me at that moment, but it has to feel right, that's how I find the best solution. I have no need to put it into words, I simply "know". That's why I sometimes have a really hard time putting my thoughts on paper in a form that makes sense to others as well. Writing is so much better than speaking, but it's still too limited. Why can't you just read my mind, people, everything kind of makes sense here.

When reading books or watching movies, my thoughts always run between the lines, looking for the "true" meaning and significance of what is really happening in the story. When I find that meaning, it's all about feeling it, not wording it.

In conversations I'm also concentrating more on how the other person feels like, what they're saying beyond what they're saying, all the nonverbal cues and how they match with what is said out loud. Let's just say I'm not a great conversationalist, I prefer to observe people. Putting my thoughts into words is too exhausting, even in online conversations.

Discussion starter · #104 · (Edited)
I have no idea. My mind is just always about fully engaged in somethings. I'd describe it better as something that takes in ideas and parses out ideas. I can't really make my own totally original world, but I can put worlds together to make a hybrid. I'm good at imagining emotions though, not that they would be an accurate representation of someone else's.
6/10?

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?Is it more visual /verbal/audio?
Compared to other people, it seems I'm more audio-verbal than them. I talk to myself and I talk to other people using my audio-self. Kinda like having hallucinations, but that they make sense and are in sound? I also imagine scenes, but with less detail. I know in real-life we replace everything that is not an outline of an object with what we have already seen before. I replace those with feelings.

If I attempt to imagine a beach, the color might change, but it'll give me a warm-cool-awe-terrifying feeling.

I can have multiple tracks, but only one will move at a time. Those thoughts will either need to vye for my attention (which is not hard to do) or they will need to merge into one track. So I would say more singular focus, but I will switch tracks rapidly.

When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all?
I'm always trying to hear their tone of voice: whether or not it reveals a problem, or their need. Are they in distress? How did what a person say affect them? Did the conversation progress in a positive direction? Once I've imagined their state of mind, I'll put up my own feelings and relate/dis-relate to their state of mind. As said above, I'll talk to myself to prepare to reply to them.

I do think that I'm fairly good at the whole switching tracks thing, so especially when listening to familiar topics, I've listened to what they have said, acknowledged that they thought about what they said, related the information to what I already know, thought about how to make it better, and formulated a couple of replies. Right after that though, I'm always asking myself if I should have thought that way, or if I should be saying what I'm thinking. I do tend to worry a lot when speaking to people.

If you speak more than one language- which language do you verbalize in your mind?
Some words that convey particular feelings more appropriate in that language will be kept that way.
For instance: Tachiagare (Stand up!) and Moushiwake gozaimasen (I am deeply apologetic, totally my fault) are phrases use with either myself or with other people in my head
but aside from Japanese I'll also think in Cantonese (for complaints) and Mandarin (for certain questions)

Most of the time I'll just translate those languages' meanings to English though.

When we NFs remember or think of a person and basically feel their soul, how do you experience this?
Not really sure what this question means, but I'll attempt to imagine most everyone's feelings? Is their feelings their soul?
Or perhaps it refers to my perception of someone's level of goodwill? So when someone says that someone else has a good spirit, they really mean that that person had other's interests at heart?

@tanstaafl28

@ImpossibleHunt5

@Infinitus

@passionate

@Scoobyscoob

@dulcinea

@secondpassing

I’m curious about your response if you have the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The questions won't take very long to answer so I don't mind just answering them right now.

How vivid are your imagination?
How vivid is my imagination? I never know how to answer this question because to some, I have quite an imagination, but to other Intuitive dominant types like IN_Js and EN_Ps, my imagination is more practical than very vivid. I'd say I'd be happy with that.

what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
Basically, none. Essentially, intuitives tend to move their sensory stimuli to the background while intuiting or when in thought. Yes, feelers can be deep in thought as well, it's simply that their thoughts are of a personal nature as opposed to being impersonal in nature.

Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Yes.

Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus
Well, I would say yes but with a tendency to prefer focusing on one thought at a time. This is really more of a Perciever/Judger (P/J) difference.

When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all
That really depends on the nature of the conversation. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to pigeonhole myself by claiming that I only think a certain way during a conversation, because that ultimately depends on who(m) I'm conversing with and what the nature of the conversation is to begin with. Conversing with say, my SO or some friends is going to be different than conversing with people while at work or say someone(people) of authority.

If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind
English. It's been that way since I was four, I believe.

Thanks for the questions @ai.tran.75, I hope my answers are useful.

The whole range from vivid to abstract. My mind creates models, which I can then manipulate in my head. For instance, I can imagine how a familiar person would say something I've never heard them say, just as you would in a dream. You can apply this same logic visually; form has always been a focal point for me. I recall faces, objects, etc, pretty well, the more I've encountered them, the better this is. However, having explored psychedelics and lucid dreaming, my mind can also go to the abstract world that consists of transforming shapes, colours, patterns, & other concoctions or amalgamations, which are difficult to describe using words. It's like the sandbox of the mind, & is often experienced rather than manipulated.

I often drift off, sometimes mid conversation, & disconnect from reality for brief episodes. I have to apologise and explain that my mind wandered. It would annoy my parents endlessly as a child, I seemingly filtered them out when I was disinterested. I do this a lot.

Most of the time, it operates somewhere in the middle, as I'd think it would be inefficient on brainpower to imagine absolutely everything with vivid detail.

Mainly visual; they call it the mind's eye. But also audio, verbal, taste & smell, though the latter 2 are more related to memory rather than novel thinking, and often appear randomly. If verbal, I think to myself in my own voice. I intuitively know the difference between the 'devil voice' & that of my own volition; the present me. I can play back music in my head, but even better, create/conduct/edit it (real-time). I can recall conversations almost verbatim, decades after the fact in some cases. The things I struggle most to imagine or remember are physical touch & to some extent, emotions/feelings.

Is it more visual /verbal/audio?
See above.

This is easy for INTJ; one track mind. Infamous for it.

I wouldn't say there are any set patterns here. Very contextual. If I'm utterly engaged I usually don't think too much and am present, unless a daydream is triggered then I'm off with the faeries. If I'm bored I could be thinking about lunch, live narrating the conversation, etc. Or perhaps I'm thinking how much I love/hate the person. I don't know.

N/A, I'm an englishman. :)

Discussion starter · #108 ·
I have no idea. My mind is just always about fully engaged in somethings. I'd describe it better as something that takes in ideas and parses out ideas. I can't really make my own totally original world, but I can put worlds together to make a hybrid. I'm good at imagining emotions though, not that they would be an accurate representation of someone else's.
6/10?

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?Is it more visual /verbal/audio?
Compared to other people, it seems I'm more audio-verbal than them. I talk to myself and I talk to other people using my audio-self. Kinda like having hallucinations, but that they make sense and are in sound? I also imagine scenes, but with less detail. I know in real-life we replace everything that is not an outline of an object with what we have already seen before. I replace those with feelings.

If I attempt to imagine a beach, the color might change, but it'll give me a warm-cool-awe-terrifying feeling.

I can have multiple tracks, but only one will move at a time. Those thoughts will either need to vye for my attention (which is not hard to do) or they will need to merge into one track. So I would say more singular focus, but I will switch tracks rapidly.

I'm always trying to hear their tone of voice: whether or not it reveals a problem, or their need. Are they in distress? How did what a person say affect them? Did the conversation progress in a positive direction? Once I've imagined their state of mind, I'll put up my own feelings and relate/dis-relate to their state of mind. As said above, I'll talk to myself to prepare to reply to them.

I do think that I'm fairly good at the whole switching tracks thing, so especially when listening to familiar topics, I've listened to what they have said, acknowledged that they thought about what they said, related the information to what I already know, thought about how to make it better, and formulated a couple of replies. Right after that though, I'm always asking myself if I should have thought that way, or if I should be saying what I'm thinking. I do tend to worry a lot when speaking to people.

If you speak more than one language- which language do you verbalize in your mind?
Some words that convey particular feelings more appropriate in that language will be kept that way.
For instance: Tachiagare (Stand up!) and Moushiwake gozaimasen (I am deeply apologetic, totally my fault) are phrases use with either myself or with other people in my head
but aside from Japanese I'll also think in Cantonese (for complaints) and Mandarin (for certain questions)

Most of the time I'll just translate those languages' meanings to English though.

When we NFs remember or think of a person and basically feel their soul, how do you experience this?
Not really sure what this question means, but I'll attempt to imagine most everyone's feelings? Is their feelings their soul?
Or perhaps it refers to my perception of someone's level of goodwill? So when someone says that someone else has a good spirit, they really mean that that person had other's interests at heart?

* my thoughts are highly verbal as well :) in terms of audio how well do you remember others voices and music ?

* interesting- most of my thoughts are in English - even when conversing in Vietnamese with others my primary thought would be in English. I never knew you spoke Cantonese - I can vaguely understand and speak conversational Cantonese .

* how are you with your sense of smell ? Do certain smell trigger certain memories

* how about if you were to imagine warmth or coldness - would you be able to feel that ?

• The last question- I never posted(I’m certain about this ) so I’m extremely confused on where it came from hahaha , I know I didn’t post this question bc I have never referred to myself as an NF or label my type as we even - I always refer to myself as I and I’m agnostic/borderline atheist so I would never use the words soul . (Just want to clarify this bc this is my thread in which I observe how different ones mind are )
  • this last one I’m guessing is from another person who is also curious as well so I can’t help you out much on what the intention behind the question meant , but I think that you’re on the right track in answering it !

Do you remember your first memory of snow or a merry go round ?

Reactions: Llyralen
Discussion starter · #109 ·
The questions won't take very long to answer so I don't mind just answering them right now.

How vivid is my imagination? I never know how to answer this question because to some, I have quite an imagination, but to other Intuitive dominant types like IN_Js and EN_Ps, my imagination is more practical than very vivid. I'd say I'd be happy with that.

Basically, none. Essentially, intuitives tend to move their sensory stimuli to the background while intuiting or when in thought. Yes, feelers can be deep in thought as well, it's simply that their thoughts are of a personal nature as opposed to being impersonal in nature.

Yes.

Well, I would say yes but with a tendency to prefer focusing on one thought at a time. This is really more of a Perciever/Judger (P/J) difference.

That really depends on the nature of the conversation. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to pigeonhole myself by claiming that I only think a certain way during a conversation, because that ultimately depends on who(m) I'm conversing with and what the nature of the conversation is to begin with. Conversing with say, my SO or some friends is going to be different than conversing with people while at work or say someone(people) of authority.

English. It's been that way since I was four, I believe.
.* Ah you should check out the SJ and Sp section of the question I posted , they’re much more in touch with senses and their understanding of vivid is quite different . I believe some can even imagine taste and scenery to the point of exact. Also if you were to read the response from Np users vs Nj you should notice a big difference more so than T vs F. I didn’t post the question to ask about emotions or feelings. I was curious about how one mind work- I’ve had someone who was blind ( Sj section of how do you think ) , have synesthesia ( Sp section) and Chromesthesia answered . Along with many Asperger/autistic individual who have photographic memory. To my surprise the Sj seems to describe things most vividly . I can provide you all four link if you’re curious

* in terms of multiple trains of thoughts running at once it’s not much of J vs P. But it’s more common for Ne dom ( mainly xntps and enfp ) I also notice that Np users thoughts are more verbal compared to Nj . Most of the Np users on here are highly verbal :conversational.

This is a research that I have been doing for nearly 3 years hence I’m providing you information that I’ve collected .

In terms of thinking while others talk - are your thoughts more verbal or visual - you hear what they say or see it in a more movie like form ?

When recalling thoughts /memories or reading something does it play out like a movie or do you hear yourself conversing about it ? Or is it something else entirely ?

Try refraining from mbti when answering these questions if possible - I know it’s difficult bc were on an mbti website but I’m more curious about you’re actual train of thoughts as an individual:)

Discussion starter · #110 · (Edited)
Thanks for the questions @ai.tran.75, I hope my answers are useful.

The whole range from vivid to abstract. My mind creates models, which I can then manipulate in my head. For instance, I can imagine how a familiar person would say something I've never heard them say, just as you would in a dream. You can apply this same logic visually; form has always been a focal point for me. I recall faces, objects, etc, pretty well, the more I've encountered them, the better this is. However, having explored psychedelics and lucid dreaming, my mind can also go to the abstract world that consists of transforming shapes, colours, patterns, & other concoctions or amalgamations, which are difficult to describe using words. It's like the sandbox of the mind, & is often experienced rather than manipulated.

I often drift off, sometimes mid conversation, & disconnect from reality for brief episodes. I have to apologise and explain that my mind wandered. It would annoy my parents endlessly as a child, I seemingly filtered them out when I was disinterested. I do this a lot.

Most of the time, it operates somewhere in the middle, as I'd think it would be inefficient on brainpower to imagine absolutely everything with vivid detail.

Mainly visual; they call it the mind's eye. But also audio, verbal, taste & smell, though the latter 2 are more related to memory rather than novel thinking, and often appear randomly. If verbal, I think to myself in my own voice. I intuitively know the difference between the 'devil voice' & that of my own volition; the present me. I can play back music in my head, but even better, create/conduct/edit it (real-time). I can recall conversations almost verbatim, decades after the fact in some cases. The things I struggle most to imagine or remember are physical touch & to some extent, emotions/feelings.

Is it more visual /verbal/audio?
See above.

This is easy for INTJ; one track mind. Infamous for it.

I wouldn't say there are any set patterns here. Very contextual. If I'm utterly engaged I usually don't think too much and am present, unless a daydream is triggered then I'm off with the faeries. If I'm bored I could be thinking about lunch, live narrating the conversation, etc. Or perhaps I'm thinking how much I love/hate the person. I don't know.

N/A, I'm an englishman. :)
Thanks for answering , your answer was very intriguing to read :)

When you said remember images and face well can you visualize what a person look like ? It just came to my attention that I can vaguely do that and what appears real to me in my mind is actually pretty abstract .

Also when you’re reading something or retracing a memory do you play it back like a movie or is it something else entirely .

lol I do notice Ni are more one track minded whereas Ne have several stages running at once

Out of curiosity what do you see when you do math in your mind ?

When conversing with others( let’s say you’re deeply invested ) do you lace images of movie scene play out to you when they describe something or do
You hear yourself analyzing and elaborating what they’re trying to say ?

Oh and since you’ve mentioned lucid dreaming - care to answer this thread ?

What are your dreams like
What are your dreams like

Reactions: Llyralen
@ai.tran.75
I noticed my name has been called, I'll do my best.

Pretty vivid for the context in which I use it.
I would say my mind is always working on something, or it never stops thinking.
As for my imagination, it kind of goes hand in hand with it. I find that this is pretty difficult to quantify, since I don't really know other's experiences.

This morning for example. I envision how I would like my day at work to go. Then, I envision the steps I need to reach that goal.
I also like to imagine conversations, and the specific routes it may take depending on what I say. If I envision an outcome that I do not want, I'll then tailor my response to change that outcome.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, my imagination creates the "scene". Afterwards, then I can start to plan around that scene, changing the "script" when I need to.

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ? Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Would it be cheap to suggest that I use all of them? It goes in hand in what I've described earlier.
The visuals, verbal cues, and the audio help create the scene in my head. I think to consider all angles when deciding a course of action, so I like to envision as much as I can.
That way, I can try to catch things that sometimes other may not notice (hopefully).

I am absolutely a more singular focused individual.
I get teased about this frequently. When I have something on my mind that I'm focused on, it is difficult for me to put it down until it is finished.
I also have a habit of talking to myself when I'm stressed out. I've noticed that sometimes I'll ask myself the same question over and over again, in order for myself to create a plan around it.
It goes like this.

"Okay, do you work today?"
"Yes, why am I asking myself this question again?"
"What do I need to do?"
"Okay, so first I'll do this. Then this. No wait, that makes no sense. I'll do that first, and then this.... Then I'll do this....-"
(Repeat x10)
Some people might call this a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (which I don't blame them for thinking that). I don't think that is the case, it's just how my mind processes information.
That is how I keep up a general good performance in what I do, with the minimum amount of effort required.
It's not so much about the effort you put in, but rather, how you categorize things that determines how much gets done.

I generally don't think much when I'm talking with people (which may be a part of the problem lol).
I might sense a few subtle cues here and there (if a particular topic makes someone exude uncomfortable body language, or tone of voice for example), but I don't think of anything concrete.
I usually rely on a few "tried-and-true" conversation paths for me to get through it (stuff I learned from working in retail). But those "dialogue paths" seem very stiff and inflexible to use.
Sometimes, I'll even use the wrong one in a particular conversation (for example, I'll say "thanks for coming in" to a customer who just entered the store).

If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind?
I am an native English-speaker, so I tend to visually my thoughts in English.
I know a bit of French, but I'm a bit rusty in that regard.

* my thoughts are highly verbal as well :) in terms of audio how well do you remember others voices and music ?
I can't say that my auditory memory is good as it tends not to remember entire soundtracks, but what it does focus on remembering is the sound quality, the parts that have emotional meaning, and of course the feeling it imparted. So I'm better at remembering riffs and tonal changes rather than entire songs. I do the same thing with voices. I remember rather strongly the way a person will say a special phrase and what they meant, but not what they actually said. I'd say I'm rather good at differentiating different voices.
* interesting- most of my thoughts are in English - even when conversing in Vietnamese with others my primary thought would be in English. I never knew you spoke Cantonese - I can vaguely understand and speak conversational Cantonese .
Really? Hm, I thought for other multiple-language speakers there would be certain thoughts that can't be translated well so your brain would just leave it in that language.
* how are you with your sense of smell ? Do certain smell trigger certain memories
I think my sense of smell would be rather average, and I haven't noticed my smell being able to trigger certain memories more often than others, but it does happen.
* how about if you were to imagine warmth or coldness - would you be able to feel that ?
Yes? I always assumed that people can imagine warmth and coldness. If I'm really cold or hot, I don't think I'd be able to successfully override what my senses are telling me.
The last question- I never posted(I’m certain about this ) so I’m extremely confused on where it came from hahaha , I know I didn’t post this question bc I have never referred to myself as an NF or label my type as we even - I always refer to myself as I and I’m agnostic/borderline atheist so I would never use the words soul . (Just want to clarify this bc this is my thread in which I observe how different ones mind are )

this last one I’m guessing is from another person who is also curious as well so I can’t help you out much on what the intention behind the question meant , but I think that you’re on the right track in answering it !
Llyralen asked the question at the bottom of page two, you gave it a like, replied to it, and I thought it was a pertinent and intriguing question as well. So I included it. She specifically mentioned that non-religious ENFPs would say something like, "I just loved his spirit!" I tend to agree. I assign a "sense" to people, which includes how I think they are and how I predict they would act in other circumstances.
Do you remember your first memory of snow or a merry go round ?
Mostly the feelings it gave me, and mostly because it produced strong feelings within me. Most of my memories are only remembered if they are tied to a strong feeling, and that feeling likely would have thought me something or reinforced a value of mine.

.* Ah you should check out the SJ and Sp section of the question I posted , they’re much more in touch with senses and their understanding of vivid is quite different . I believe some can even imagine taste and scenery to the point of exact. Also if you were to read the response from Np users vs Nj you should notice a big difference more so than T vs F. I didn’t post the question to ask about emotions or feelings. I was curious about how one mind work- I’ve had someone who was blind ( Sj section of how do you think ) , have synesthesia ( Sp section) and Chromesthesia answered . Along with many Asperger/autistic individual who have photographic memory. To my surprise the Sj seems to describe things most vividly . I can provide you all four link if you’re curious
If your research is ever published then I might be interested. :)

* in terms of multiple trains of thoughts running at once it’s not much of J vs P. But it’s more common for Ne dom ( mainly xntps and enfp ) I also notice that Np users thoughts are more verbal compared to Nj . Most of the Np users on here are highly verbal :conversational.
Have you ever managed large groups of people? I'm talking like dozens to hundreds/thousands of people? Because that also requires keeping "multiple trains of thoughts running at once". lol That's certainly not something I'd say xntps and enfps are the only ones capable of, as that's the domain of EJs, and more specifically ENJs. :)

This is a research that I have been doing for nearly 3 years hence I’m providing you information that I’ve collected .
Cool. That doesn't give what you say any more authority though but it is nice that you mentioned that you're far into your studies.

In terms of thinking while others talk - are your thoughts more verbal or visual - you hear what they say or see it in a more movie like form ?

When recalling thoughts /memories or reading something does it play out like a movie or do you hear yourself conversing about it ? Or is it something else entirely ?

Try refraining from mbti when answering these questions if possible - I know it’s difficult bc were on an mbti website but I’m more curious about you’re actual train of thoughts as an individual:)
Yes and something else entirely. Like, I don't see words floating in the air or have sudden visions. When I'm being logical, I take information, quantize it into certain shapes and keep it in my memory. Then it comes time to create a solution I begin to rearrange the information into a solid whole. When I'm being more compassionate I'm being more visual and try to walk a mile in their shoes or ask myself how I'd feel about something if the same had happened to me. Which is why I only answered with a yes. Because me thinking to myself is both visual and auditory as is normal for anyone who doesn't have a learning disability. Although most tests show I prefer expressing with a slight preference visually. That's why I thought your question was nonsense as no one is strictly one or the other unless they have a mental deficit.

I'll try not to, but I will if I find it necessary. For example, I'm an ENTJ, not INTJ or ENFP or any other MBTI type. I'm just not an extremely Te-dominant ENTJ like say, an ENTJ lawyer or say a systems analyst would be.

@Scoobyscoob. Actually multiple tracks of thought doesn’t make us Ne more efficient.

Ne tracks of thought are not like having several NTJ minds working at once, it’s like trying to herd cats. But those cats come up with new inventions or thoughts nobody has had before. I feel like I can “give” something to my background trains of thought to work on, and sometimes they do.

Basically it means if I try to still my foreground thoughts then I will immediately pick up the radio station of one of the tracks going on underneath. It is like a bunch of different radio stations, the one I currently control and am the DJ of is the loudest and there are quieter layers of other radio stations that I have to constantly ignore or if they bubble up then I DJ them and they become louder and they become the foreground. I am constantly weaving through these radio stations and managing my thoughts. There is always something running and for me there is pretty much always at least one station with music that I can make louder or softer. Not everyone has music playing, but I do and I love it and can tell it what to play. Sometimes I have 2 music stations running and sometimes they decide to join and mash. Or I can make them mash... I am in control. I can compose, but my best compositions that play in my head happen when I let them go ahead and don’t try to control the music pouring in. I like my different surprising tracks of thought but they aren’t making decisions.

Managing and DJing radio stations is how it is in general, but if my imagination is envisioning scenes then it’s like a different process takes over and it’s a bit more like a movie or an abstract movie that I create as I go.

Multiple tracks must help us do what we Ne do best which is basically explore ideas, ask new questions, and create new concepts. But we have to tramp down our own distracting minds in order to focus when we need to focus or make decisions— which we do, of course, as everyone needs to make decisions and although I think maybe some Ne might have trouble managing their different tracks (ADHD?), this is all completely normal for me and until this thread I didn’t know that people’s minds didn’t all have this going on.

I think Dario Nardi said some ENTJ brains he had seen were so efficient than in moments of downtime they practically thought about nothing. ENTJs have a mind with a “super highway” decision making process that quickly puts data through the same gamut (about 4 areas of the brain) one of them being economizing for bang for the buck stuff. Your challenge is to get off that decision highway and look around at things a bit more as far as I understand it. I often want Te doms to look at the data more closely before making a decision. I think it is most natural for you guys to just make decisions like crazy. Sometimes the decision is too quick and the data not well understood enough. That is what I see, although I highly enjoy watching you guys make decisions and manage everything in your outside world and when you are good at looking closely at the incoming data then it is GOLD. If you barely glance at the data then it can be horrible for everyone around you (yes I know both kinds of Te doms).

Anyway, my point is just to let you know multiple tracks of thought doesn’t necessarily mean bragging rights— definitely not in a managerial sense when managing our own thoughts/ mind-explorations is a task.

Discussion starter · #115 ·
If your research is ever published then I might be interested. :)

Have you ever managed large groups of people? I'm talking like dozens to hundreds/thousands of people? Because that also requires keeping "multiple trains of thoughts running at once". lol That's certainly not something I'd say xntps and enfps are the only ones capable of, as that's the domain of EJs, and more specifically ENJs. :)

Cool. That doesn't give what you say any more authority though but it is nice that you mentioned that you're far into your studies.

Yes and something else entirely. Like, I don't see words floating in the air or have sudden visions. When I'm being logical, I take information, quantize it into certain shapes and keep it in my memory. Then it comes time to create a solution I begin to rearrange the information into a solid whole. When I'm being more compassionate I'm being more visual and try to walk a mile in their shoes or ask myself how I'd feel about something if the same had happened to me. Which is why I only answered with a yes. Because me thinking to myself is both visual and auditory as is normal for anyone who doesn't have a learning disability. Although most tests show I prefer expressing with a slight preference visually. That's why I thought your question was nonsense as no one is strictly one or the other unless they have a mental deficit.

I'll try not to, but I will if I find it necessary. For example, I'm an ENTJ, not INTJ or ENFP or any other MBTI type. I'm just not an extremely Te-dominant ENTJ like say, an ENTJ lawyer or say a systems analyst would be.

* In terms of multiple stages of thoughts running at once vs singular - I wasn’t referring to multi- tasking or handling a situation but more along the line of whether you jump from one thoughts to the other or do you experience having more thoughts running at the same times. Not so much upon multitasking- bc I can’t really control these stages of thoughts running in my mind - it’s subconscious after all.

I don’t believe I asked anyone to pick verbal over visual or vice versa - but rather describe what you envision or see/hear in your mind most of the time or remember.
For example: I feel like I’m more verbal /audio bc although I do have speck of visual ( movie like scenes ) playing in my mind, when recalling memory I tend to recall conversations however I do notice the further back I’m trying to think ( childhood memories) the more it plays out visually . Oh and I have an inner voice that doesn’t shut up :)

* I apologize that you misunderstood the purpose of my thread and the questions within it , either that or you’re pissed off at the questions I created - if that’s the case then I deeply apologized for asking bc I was truly curious about your answers and I enjoy interacting with you around the forum .

Reactions: Scoobyscoob
@secondpassing I’m glad you answered about getting a “sense of someone”. Getting a sense of someone is a lot like experiencing a particular flavor... except that it is not a 5-senses thing. Definitely more heart and mind-related. I think it has been wonderful to find that I’m not alone experiencing that.

Discussion starter · #117 ·
@ai.tran.75

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ? Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Would it be cheap to suggest that I use all of them? It goes in hand in what I've described earlier.
The visuals, verbal cues, and the audio help create the scene in my head. I think to consider all angles when deciding a course of action, so I like to envision as much as I can.
That way, I can try to catch things that sometimes other may not notice (hopefully).

I am absolutely a more singular focused individual.
I get teased about this frequently. When I have something on my mind that I'm focused on, it is difficult for me to put it down until it is finished.
I also have a habit of talking to myself when I'm stressed out. I've noticed that sometimes I'll ask myself the same question over and over again, in order for myself to create a plan around it.
It goes like this.

"Okay, do you work today?"
"Yes, why am I asking myself this question again?"
"What do I need to do?"
"Okay, so first I'll do this. Then this. No wait, that makes no sense. I'll do that first, and then this.... Then I'll do this....-"
(Repeat x10)
Some people might call this a sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (which I don't blame them for thinking that). I don't think that is the case, it's just how my mind processes information.
That is how I keep up a general good performance in what I do, with the minimum amount of effort required.
It's not so much about the effort you put in, but rather, how you categorize things that determines how much gets done.

I generally don't think much when I'm talking with people (which may be a part of the problem lol).
I might sense a few subtle cues here and there (if a particular topic makes someone exude uncomfortable body language, or tone of voice for example), but I don't think of anything concrete.
I usually rely on a few "tried-and-true" conversation paths for me to get through it (stuff I learned from working in retail). But those "dialogue paths" seem very stiff and inflexible to use.
Sometimes, I'll even use the wrong one in a particular conversation (for example, I'll say "thanks for coming in" to a customer who just entered the store).

I am an native English-speaker, so I tend to visually my thoughts in English.
I know a bit of French, but I'm a bit rusty in that regard.

Thanks for replying:)

* so if I were to ask you to recall what something taste or smell like- how would you describe it in sense of what you could feel ? I know for me the scent of smell tends to triggered past memories but it last for less than a second

How would you recall a memory you had with sipping hot tea /cocoa on a cold day - is it memory describing or can you vaguely feel certain senses ?

* I can relate to my mind having conversation with itself planning out the day plan or for my case (I run a play-base school/family childpractice ) so it’s nonstop planning for the week /month and year ahead .

Onto another topic - the voice in your mind is it always your voice ? Or is it more abstract ? How well are you with recalling other people’s voice in your mind ?

I guess when other people talk to you , when they describe something or when you recall what they said - do visual images of movies play out or do you remember it word by word ( or something else entirely ) when piecing the picture together ?

Discussion starter · #118 ·
Really? Hm, I thought for other multiple-language speakers there would be certain thoughts that can't be translated well so your brain would just leave it in that language.

Mostly the feelings it gave me, and mostly because it produced strong feelings within me. Most of my memories are only remembered if they are tied to a strong feeling, and that feeling likely would have thought me something or reinforced a value of mine.

Lol ... I said most of my thoughts are in English not all of it :p course there are many words and phrases in Vietnamese that doesn’t exist in the English language. My inner voice tends to be speaking and elaborating in English - for example I may speak Vietnamese to my mom or children but the thought inside my mind would still predominantly be in English . Cantonese I didn’t pick up on until I married my husband ( we are both trying to speak our native language to our kids - somehow he’s able to pick up Vietnamese much quicker than I can pick up Cantonese - mandarin is extremely foreign to me haha )

I think it’s a norm to have emotional memory more so if you’re an Fi user . Hmm out of curiosity when recalling past memories ( let’s say a time when you crushed on someone ) are your thoughts more verbal or visual ?

@Scoobyscoob. Actually multiple tracks of thought doesn’t make us Ne more efficient.

Ne tracks of thought are not like having several NTJ minds working at once, it’s like trying to herd cats. But those cats come up with new inventions or thoughts nobody has had before. I feel like I can “give” something to my background trains of thought to work on, and sometimes they do.

Basically it means if I try to still my foreground thoughts then I will immediately pick up the radio station of one of the tracks going on underneath. It is like a bunch of different radio stations, the one I currently control and am the DJ of is the loudest and there are quieter layers of other radio stations that I have to constantly ignore or if they bubble up then I DJ them and they become louder and they become the foreground. I am constantly weaving through these radio stations and managing my thoughts. There is always something running and for me there is pretty much always at least one station with music that I can make louder or softer. Not everyone has music playing, but I do and I love it and can tell it what to play. Sometimes I have 2 music stations running and sometimes they decide to join and mash. Or I can make them mash... I am in control. I can compose, but my best compositions that play in my head happen when I let them go ahead and don’t try to control the music pouring in. I like my different surprising tracks of thought but they aren’t making decisions.

Managing and DJing radio stations is how it is in general, but if my imagination is envisioning scenes then it’s like a different process takes over and it’s a bit more like a movie or an abstract movie that I create as I go.

Multiple tracks must help us do what we Ne do best which is basically explore ideas, ask new questions, and create new concepts. But we have to tramp down our own distracting minds in order to focus when we need to focus or make decisions— which we do, of course, as everyone needs to make decisions and although I think maybe some Ne might have trouble managing their different tracks (ADHD?), this is all completely normal for me and until this thread I didn’t know that people’s minds didn’t all have this going on.

I think Dario Nardi said some ENTJ brains he had seen were so efficient than in moments of downtime they practically thought about nothing. ENTJs have a mind with a “super highway” decision making process that quickly puts data through the same gamut (about 4 areas of the brain) one of them being economizing for bang for the buck stuff. Your challenge is to get off that decision highway and look around at things a bit more as far as I understand it. I often want Te doms to look at the data more closely before making a decision. I think it is most natural for you guys to just make decisions like crazy. Sometimes the decision is too quick and the data not well understood enough. That is what I see, although I highly enjoy watching you guys make decisions and manage everything in your outside world and when you are good at looking closely at the incoming data then it is GOLD. If you barely glance at the data then it can be horrible for everyone around you (yes I know both kinds of Te doms).

Anyway, my point is just to let you know multiple tracks of thought doesn’t necessarily mean bragging rights— definitely not in a managerial sense when managing our own thoughts/ mind-explorations is a task.
Okay Spotify. ;) Also, that's how my brain works in certain circumstances such as being technical/logical/etc, but otherwise I don't think my thought process is efficient much when doing something say, creative or expressive. Also, I really don't care to explain how my thought process works through analogy or visualization, as much of how I think relies on my Ni to come to sudden realizations that fundamentally changes much of what I think about something or someone. I mean, I could just lie to you but that wouldn't be useful at all then, would it.

* In terms of multiple stages of thoughts running at once vs singular - I wasn’t referring to multi- tasking or handling a situation but more along the line of whether you jump from one thoughts to the other or do you experience having more thoughts running at the same times. Not so much upon multitasking- bc I can’t really control these stages of thoughts running in my mind - it’s subconscious after all.

I don’t believe I asked anyone to pick verbal over visual or vice versa - but rather describe what you envision or see/hear in your mind most of the time or remember.
For example: I feel like I’m more verbal /audio bc although I do have speck of visual ( movie like scenes ) playing in my mind, when recalling memory I tend to recall conversations however I do notice the further back I’m trying to think ( childhood memories) the more it plays out visually . Oh and I have an inner voice that doesn’t shut up :)

* I apologize that you misunderstood the purpose of my thread and the questions within it , either that or you’re pissed off at the questions I created - if that’s the case then I deeply apologized for asking bc I was truly curious about your answers and I enjoy interacting with you around the forum .

No, I wasn't pissed off or misunderstood you. lol I simply didn't want to answer your questions to begin with. I really don't like it when someone randomly asks me probing questions without first establishing who you are and why you feel like you're qualified to even ask me such questions. Then your response pretty much confirmed my suspicions that you're handling your research in a biased and possibly inept way so I felt justified with my lack of enthusiasm. :p

If you asked me in person and at a later time, I'll be more willing to answer any questions you may have. Just not in this manner and not now. Deal? :)

So if I were to ask you to recall what something tastes or smells like- how would you describe it, in the sense of what you could feel?
Honestly, that's a difficult question.
I don't really think too much about tastes or smells. It's more-so the context of what the tastes or smells bring.
I guess the best way to describe the taste of "coffee" for example, is not so much the taste itself, but the warmth and comfort it brings. That's why I often drink mine black, since I'm not too concerned about the taste.
In fact, I have trouble remembering the actual taste until I have it again. I usually drink it to experience that comfort again.
It's the same with most other tastes and smells, if that makes sense.

How would you recall a memory you had with sipping hot tea /cocoa on a cold day - is it memory describing or can you vaguely feel certain senses?
I guess the answer would be similar to the one I gave for the last question.
It would be mostly made up of sensations, as opposed to memory. Not so much on the specific taste or situation, but more-so on how it makes me feel when I indulge.

Onto another topic - the voice in your mind is it always your voice? Or is it more abstract? How well are you with recalling other people’s voice in your mind?
It is almost always my voice. In fact, I almost struggle using other people's voices instead of mine.
If I'm imagining someone talking to me, the conversation will always be with my own voice.

I guess when other people talk to you , when they describe something or when you recall what they said - do visual images of movies play out or do you remember it word by word ( or something else entirely ) when piecing the picture together?
I don't imagine movies or anything like that, but I would do my best to remember how the memory played out.
I know my memory isn't the best, so I often piece it together by remembering how I felt in that specific scenario, and then I fill the rest together myself.

Reactions: ai.tran.75
101 - 120 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.