Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How vivid are your imagination?
what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus
When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all
If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind

----------

I guess I'll start- my thoughts are mainly verbal with specks of visualization - however when indulging in my imagination I can close my eyes and visualize /feel and somewhat smell where I'm at - I can even recall tastes but only up to 33 percent of reality .
My mind talks nonstop- and I have 3 or 4( maybe more) thoughts running all at once
For example- one part of my mind will be making a movie , another recalling a conversation with somebody but it's faded out , and then the main part would narrate or introspect itself.
My thoughts are always in English - when conversing in Vietnamese with my mom and relatives ( I can speak, read and write fluently in Vietnamese )
When conversing with somebody - my main focus will be talking to them - however my mind does jump around in visual thoughts and other false fantasize memories all at once . I tend to recall and remember what the other person is saying - however I find myself quite talkative- yet when the conversation is over I could only remember what the other party said - and I rarely remember what I said

When writing- my mind goes blank and I just write , sometimes it feels as if my writing junp out before my thoughts - same with reading and watching a movie I enjoy, it's as if my mind took a break for a while- however if I'm not fully captivated then random thoughts would occur.
My mind doesn't stop and I can easily introspect myself and make pro cons list in my mind- yet have soft melody of music ( only 25 % effective I can't actually hear the music out loud ) in the back ground . I replay conversations nonstop , and it's easy for me to drift off into daydreaming- more so if I'm listening to music .when certain emotions hits me- flash back of visual memory would occur- for example- I kept on seeing me as a four years old asking my dad who gave him his Picasso painting and he will say " you did" and for that brief moment I'll feel like I travel back in time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
About what you would expect. The exact opposite to me -- singular focus, tight control and most times silence, because thinking and thoughts are very much conscious. If I don't think of anything in particular, I just don't think of anything at all. As a consequence of the first, thinking and talking is pretty bleh (it's a lot easier to say I'll get back to you, work out my thoughts, and then continue the discussion), and like I said before, if I don't know what I want to write, I can't write, as that is a direct mapping of my thoughts.

I'm not sure that "SP" is a relevant way to group this, however.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About what you would expect. The exact opposite to me -- singular focus, tight control and most times silence, because thinking and thoughts are very much conscious. If I don't think of anything in particular, I just don't think of anything at all. As a consequence of the first, thinking and talking is pretty bleh (it's a lot easier to say I'll get back to you, work out my thoughts, and then continue the discussion), and like I said before, if I don't know what I want to write, I can't write, as that is a direct mapping of my thoughts.

I'm not sure that "SP" is a relevant way to group this, however.
I agree that SP isn't a relevant way to put this- I would think dom function would be easier to categorize , or perhaps maybe there isn't any pattern at all.
That's interesting- my mind is always running- I had a talk with my istp- and like you he said if he doesn't think- he doesn't think at all- and his thoughts are more visual than verbal, which I find quite interesting. If you were to imagine a place or a scent- his vivid would the sense or image be?

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
That's interesting- my mind is always running- I had a talk with my istp- and like you he said if he doesn't think- he doesn't think at all- and his thoughts are more visual than verbal, which I find quite interesting. If you were to imagine a place or a scent- his vivid would the sense or image be?
Yeah, I figured that would be typical. And one guess for a stereotypical sensor :tongue2:

I recall a summer day and remember the blue sky, the sun on my skin, bare feet on cool grass, wind in my hair, the taste of raspberries, the scent of heather and pines ... so vividly as if I was there just now, and I could describe to you the nuances of every single blade of grass between my toes and the composition of sweet and sour on my tongue.

And man, now I yearn for summer :sad:

This always resonated a lot with me:

Se said:
A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us.
Completely merging into the physical world like this is one of the most fulfilling and happy experiences I know, and it's also what I keep from places and moments as memories.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
@Northern Lights Northern Lights, I love the imagery with that description of your memories! Truly. My brain went nuts over it.
Answer to question: Cut/pasted to NF forum

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Northern Lights I think it's beautiful how you described summer. It makes me feels as if I was standing right there - very detail oriented
@Alesha I was reading a book by Oliver Sack and he mentioned people actually hearing classical music from their mind . I have light music in the background but it jumps around- for example right now vivaldi four season is playing but it's changing over to buffalo Springfield for what it's worth and I see buffalo wings. Ah the connections.
I find it fascinating how you are able to orchestrate music ' that must be wonderful. I tend to need music to bring me to a more vivid imaginary world.

I did a post in the NF NT SP and SJ ' I'm curious to see if there's any similar resemblance.

Do you remember emotions well ? Like the emotion of an event or sense memory?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I wonder @Northern Lights since you're a physicist how your co-workers all think too. It would be interesting. Ni's have sometimes told me how they think. It sounds almost like when my brain does pictures, and with lots of symbols and they told me it wasn't really any verbal language, but we will see from your threads!

What about you, Ai, on emotions? And I like hearing about the music in your background too! And the buffalo wings connection. =)

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good follow-up question, you're brilliant, Ai. Yes, lets look at emotion memory: Very strong but abstract and in a visual way, again like an abstract painting. My first strong memory is of when they brought my sister home from the hospital. I was 2 3/4 years old. I remember feeling like the room was full of light and that a small angel was in the room-- I felt she was sacred. I loved her immediately and in an all-consuming way and for most of my life I did feel like my job was taking care of my sister. She actually had to kind of detach from me and I actually needed counseling to get over the loss of this role. I didn't know who I was without it. I was 23 at that time. I could actually paint all these things--- I could make them abstract but with some forms. I haven't tried to do that. I usually paint from off of pictures.
Oh, I should have posted in the NF forum, then. But I saw this and was pulled in. I wonder @Northern Lights since you're a physicist how your co-workers all think too. It would be interesting. Ni's have sometimes told me how they think. It sounds almost like when my brain does pictures, and with lots of symbols and they told me it wasn't really any verbal language, but we will see from your threads!

What about you, Ai, on emotions? And I like hearing about the music in your background too! And the buffalo wings connection. =)
Hey there my very first memory ( probably 2? ) is a glimpse of 2 brunettes identical twins saying "baby!" They had round blue eyes . I was inside a house with brown carpet . I told my mom about this memory later and she told me we were at her friends house and last she saw her friend 1988 ( I was 2)
I think I can recall how I feel - it kinda replay like a short clip of a movie, but it's not an emotional memory. I do remember conversations and events that may lead me to feeling emotional.
I'm sorry to h3ar about your sister . Are you two still in touch .
I tend to remember conversations really well but you know memory is subjective- sometimes we remember something that never occur

·
Registered
7,970 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is fascinating!
I'm super impressed that you can sustain multiple threads of thought at the same time. I too have a constant mental chatter in my head, but it's just one continuous train of thought. I haven't been "imaginative" since I was a kid though.
Ironically, I'm not much of a visual learner, despite being an artist, and I prefer information presented in a verbal or written format. My thoughts are pretty linear and sequential, so when I make leaps in my thought process I can usually trace back to see how I got from point a to point b. I'll think about a particular topic for about an hour or so before moving on to something different. Usually, I'm reflecting on my day, having fake conversations with someone or piecing together puzzle pieces of events/facts into my personal mental framework. My mind isn't that exciting, tbh. Sometimes I'll find my thoughts so boring that I'll try to just stop thinking, but unfortunately human brains don't work that way. For some reason, if I have to focus on a task, I keep mentally drifting off, but when I'm on a long train ride or something, my mind will go blank when im counting on it to keep me entertained.
When I daydream, which I only do when I'm bored, I have a handful of "stock images" that I return to; one is a winter scene of a snowy forest, another is of a summer cottage on a hilltop, etc. These scenes are mostly visual, but I can imagine temperatures/wind blowing/smells and tastes with about 30-40 percent accuracy if I'm actively trying to. I find it hard to "control" the mental scenes in my daydreams, they just pop into my head randomly. Like, I'll be wanting to picture a waterfall, but my mind will supply me with images of dancing giraffes in purple tutus or something weird like that instead. I have a pretty good memory for where things are positioned in space. For example, I will remember words and sentences out of books based on where they were located on the page.
When talking to somebody, I'm always processing the conversation internally; reflecting upon the other person's reaction to things, mentally catalouging things the other person says, etc.I tend to be a slow speaker; I carefully construct sentences in my mind, but my thoughts scatter when I have to verbalize them.
I grew up speaking English and my native language and became fluent in a third in my late teens. English is the alpha dog, though. The three languages are kind of like parallel tracks in my head; I usually run on the widest one (English), but can switch tracks when the situation calls for it.
Not sure of my type. I think I'm ISFP but am also considering INFP and ISFJ.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Cool questions!

How vivid are your imagination?
I have terrible imagination. I practically have no ability to recall an image, a smell or a taste.

what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
All of my senses are working just fine when I'm thinking, but the more I focus on something the more my sensitivity decreases. At the office my colleagues have learnt that if they want my attention and I'm not responding they have to either raise their voices or wave at me in order to be noticed. When I'm deep in my thoughts I cease to process external stimuli. I can get too hot or too cold without noticing it. Or rather, I do notice, but it's like something very distant, irrelevant and easy to ignore, so I unconsciously ignore it.

Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
My thoughts are always verbal. Closer to audio than to visual words, although I don't really think of them as audio. Something like a silent speech I guess.

Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus
My thinking is absolutely single threaded and linear. My thought are frequently random, but never parallel. I can multitask by doing one thing and thinking of another, but I can't think of two things simultaneously.

When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all
If the discussion is interesting I will be completely focused on the topic and I won't think of anything else. The less interesting a discussion is, the more likely I am to zone out. It happens to me all the time. When I zone out I miss entire portions of the discussion and I have to ask people to repeat what they said.

If you speak more than one languages- which language do you verbalize in your mind
I speak three languages and think in all three of them depending on the topic I'm thinking about. At least 95% of my reading and writing is in English, so when I read or write something, I think in English. I think in the other languages when I think about the contexts where I typically use them.

I find it interesting that @Northern Lights has such vivid, detailed memories. My memories are always fuzzy and vague. They are more like feelings than images or sensations.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
Really ai.tran.75 and Alesha :eek:h:

And I didn't even tell you about the constant buzzing of the grasshoppers, and hearing the blackbird in the tree I'm leant against, and the warm, quite rough and wrinkly bark digging into my back, because it's an oaktree, and there are tiny black ants busy running up and down, carrying bits of leaves larger than themselves, and you wonder how they can even carry that, right? And the butterflies fluttering by, iridescent and sparkling in the sunshine, and if you are very very still, maybe it comes and rests on your arm, tickling just a tiny little bit, but really weightless, so you don't even notice if you don't know it's there -- quite as opposed to the small lizard, which has five tiny toes you feel tapping on your skin very clearly as it races over your leg, and if you can catch it, it's warm and the scales are rough, and you can see and feel it breathing at the sides ...
Which is to say. I feel like I was pretty sparse in the summer post above :tongue:
It's usually an explosion of sensations and details. I always have to cut it down when I write.

And now -- is this a memory or something I imagined? It's both. It's a composition of moments I experienced, but I think I know, with 100% certainty, that while extrapolated, this is exactly what it would be like if I were in that situation.

As for emotions: Very selectively, and quite fuzzily. Bad emotions not at all, never. I know I felt bad and I know what "feeling bad" feels like, but that's all abstract, the actual feeling is gone. (Which, apart from having to take into account that I'll be biased in my memories then, I don't really mind ...) Moments of pure bliss -- yes, it's very intense in the moment, and a bit of that lingers and I can recall, but it's never as clear as the external sensations. It's like staring through a piece of milk glass.

Anyway. My coworkers are mostly INTx, and while I'm not gonna ask how they think :dry:, I already know that the way I and INTPs think is very alike. We get along well and pretty effortlessly. And I must say, every time I hear it I'm amazed at how much stuff you guys have in your head. It would literally drive myself crazy. My head needs to look like this:

And then I can have a seat in that chair (which I love, by the way, I could sit there IRL for hours) and use all that wonderful tidy space to think.

Sometimes I'll find my thoughts so boring that I'll try to just stop thinking, but unfortunately human brains don't work that way. For some reason, if I have to focus on a task, I keep mentally drifting off, but when I'm on a long train ride or something, my mind will go blank when im counting on it to keep me entertained.

When I daydream, which I only do when I'm bored, I have a handful of "stock images" that I return to; one is a winter scene of a snowy forest, another is of a summer cottage on a hilltop, etc. These scenes are mostly visual, but I can imagine temperatures/wind blowing/smells and tastes with about 30-40 percent accuracy if I'm actively trying to. I find it hard to "control" the mental scenes in my daydreams, they just pop into my head randomly. Like, I'll be wanting to picture a waterfall, but my mind will supply me with images of dancing giraffes in purple tutus or something weird like that instead.
Really! That's fascinating. I never thought it could be possible to get bored of your own thoughts. Daydreaming is filling a lot of my idle time -- which is the reason I haven't been bored for ages, I can just sit anywhere, and start to imagine myself in this or that situation and dream of how it would be like to be there now. It's very concrete and detailed and can keep me entertained for quite a while (train ride). I always thought it was sad that nowadays people are always stuck with their phones filling in all the idle time and missing out on such a nice experience, but maybe they couldn't even daydream like this, and that's why they needed it in the first place?

@ai.tran.75 and @Alesha what's your daydreams like.

@gte, that's interesting indeed. I would have thought the visual memory would be the S part, but maybe not? I really have almost every trait I know of that fits S(e), but my S/N is still nearly 50/50. Perhaps that's playing a larger role than I expected.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I would have thought the visual memory would be the S part, but maybe not? I really have almost every trait I know of that fits S(e), but my S/N is still nearly 50/50. Perhaps that's playing a larger role than I expected.
I haven't seen any description of visual memory and imagination in the explanations of the cognitive functions that I've read. Maybe that's outside of the scope of MBTI.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,208 Posts
I haven't seen any description of visual memory and imagination in the explanations of the cognitive functions that I've read. Maybe that's outside of the scope of MBTI.
Well, no, I haven't either, as far as I can recall. I just thought -- if such sensations are how you perceive the world primarily, that's what you would recall when thinking about it. It appears to work differently than I expected.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well, no, I haven't either, as far as I can recall. I just thought -- if such sensations are how you perceive the world primarily, that's what you would recall when thinking about it. It appears to work differently than I expected.
Yes, it surprised me as well to have such a different experience of recollection from another ISTP.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree that SP isn't a relevant way to put this- I would think dom function would be easier to categorize , or perhaps maybe there isn't any pattern at all.

Same here. It's very quiet inside my mind. When I'm in a thought, if I notice I'm in a thought that is, I can get expressive... eyes moving around, counting with fingers, moving my head and lots of other small things.

I recently figured I'm an expert at mindfulness. My mind already does what mindfulness wants to achieve.

Vivid imagination? Which kind of imagination?
- Memories?
- Factual?
- Problem solving?
- Systematic?
- Logical?
- Creating?
- Building?
- Social?
- ... etc.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@BlueRaspberry
I'm actually quite fascinated with how different people's mind are . For the longest time I assumed most people thoughts were similar to mine- the only person I talk about thought process with was my Entp bff and her mind doesn't stop either ( I wonder if it's Ne- correlated)
I was talking to my mother and she kept on telling me I'm weird or my mind is weird - so I started questioning people and I realized their thoughts are very different than mine- which intrigue me to post this topic

Like you I'm not much of a visual learner- however im not much of an artist either.

I can relate with the stock images of daydreaming- does music help you indulge into your fantasy better ?
You mentioned that you are an artist - does any thought crosses your mind when you're sketching or painting?

Do you play around with colors in your thought process?

What about reading- does your mind narrate with your voice? And can you escape into the realm of fantasy if intrigue by a novel ?

I think it's amazing that you can remember things in its place , I don't at all - if you were to remove or rearrange my living room furniture- i might not able to realize the difference at all - or not until much later .

When thinking- can you imagine different voices or is it all your own ?

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@gte

Thanks for answering!

I wonder if it's a perceiver thing to drift off into thoughts - I notice with both my partner and I, if lost in train of thoughts a person must wave or call out to us

I can relate with the conversation part- if invested I'll actively listen if not I'll kinda zone out. My istp could totally zone out and enter some trance of daydream .
Like you my thoughts are more verbal and audio - his is very visual which I find fascinating, he can recall up to 70 percent of his imagined image of scenery or a person

Can you recall voices or melody?

I notice my imagination is more active when listening to music

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really ai.tran.75 and Alesha :eek:h:

And I didn't even tell you about the constant buzzing of the grasshoppers, and hearing the blackbird in the tree I'm leant against, and the warm, quite rough and wrinkly bark digging into my back, because it's an oaktree, and there are tiny black ants busy running up and down, carrying bits of leaves larger than themselves, and you wonder how they can even carry that, right? And the butterflies fluttering by, iridescent and sparkling in the sunshine, and if you are very very still, maybe it comes and rests on your arm, tickling just a tiny little bit, but really weightless, so you don't even notice if you don't know it's there -- quite as opposed to the small lizard, which has five tiny toes you feel tapping on your skin very clearly as it races over your leg, and if you can catch it, it's warm and the scales are rough, and you can see and feel it breathing at the sides ...
Which is to say. I feel like I was pretty sparse in the summer post above :tongue:
It's usually an explosion of sensations and details. I always have to cut it down when I write.

And now -- is this a memory or something I imagined? It's both. It's a composition of moments I experienced, but I think I know, with 100% certainty, that while extrapolated, this is exactly what it would be like if I were in that situation.

As for emotions: Very selectively, and quite fuzzily. Bad emotions not at all, never. I know I felt bad and I know what "feeling bad" feels like, but that's all abstract, the actual feeling is gone. (Which, apart from having to take into account that I'll be biased in my memories then, I don't really mind ...) Moments of pure bliss -- yes, it's very intense in the moment, and a bit of that lingers and I can recall, but it's never as clear as the external sensations. It's like staring through a piece of milk glass.

Anyway. My coworkers are mostly INTx, and while I'm not gonna ask how they think :dry:, I already know that the way I and INTPs think is very alike. We get along well and pretty effortlessly. And I must say, every time I hear it I'm amazed at how much stuff you guys have in your head. It would literally drive myself crazy. My head needs to look like this:

And then I can have a seat in that chair (which I love, by the way, I could sit there IRL for hours) and use all that wonderful tidy space to think.

@ai.tran.75 and @Alesha what's your daydreams like.

I envy your thought process- my mind never go blank , and your description is very detail oriented. Yeah unsure if it's Ne or not but my mind is always running

my istp often drift into daydreams- he tells me his thoughts are very visual - but his mind is often blank unless he wants to think of something or daydream - he mentioned seeing a good 70 percent of an image - and he can feel the senses and scent if he concentrated enough. He loves daydreaming though- I know that much - he often talks about it . I wonder if it correlates with strong Ni- I find some isxp to be quite intuitive

When daydreaming - my mind also runs around in many places but it tends to be mainly verbal/audio and visualization is more clear - I make up movies in my mind and chase around with imaginations- hmm for example right now if I were to close my eyes for 30 seconds- I'm somewhere inside a dark but peaceful forest walking bare feet , I can feel the lead crumpling beneath my feet and dirt between my toes- the trees are redwood tall and the bark and leaves sparkles, in front of me I saw a stream that leads to a great white waterfall - the sky is foggy but the waterfall/trees/rocks are vibrant color almost mystical like, - I can feel the cool breeze and enya is playing softly in the background (this image I capture is probably a good 55 -60 percent)

Most of my daydreams are mixture of memories and fantasies and adventure - fake conversations with real and fictional character or sometimes I'll indulge in false memory ( a memory I share with somebody mixture with a fantasy I created in my mind)
It becomes more active if I were to listen to music .

Do you hear your voice or other people voice when processing your thoughts?

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same here. It's very quiet inside my mind. When I'm in a thought, if I notice I'm in a thought that is, I can get expressive... eyes moving around, counting with fingers, moving my head and lots of other small things.

I recently figured I'm an expert at mindfulness. My mind already does what mindfulness wants to achieve.

Vivid imagination? Which kind of imagination?
- Memories?
- Factual?
- Problem solving?
- Systematic?
- Logical?
- Creating?
- Building?
- Social?
- ... etc.
So if I were to ask you to imagine spring - what images would appear ? Can you recall taste and sound ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts