Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How vivid are your imagination?
what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
Is it more visual /verbal/audio ?
Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus
When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
@ai.tran.75 So far it seems the SPs have the most vivid pictures in their mind visually and possibly for recalling smells and feels and tastes that we have heard so far, anyway, but not as much music. And the NFs seem to have all the abstract stuff, but amazingly music seems very clear in many of our NF minds with perfect recall. The NTs minds never stop and seem abstract in images as well, they also seem to experience music clearly, correct?

SJs... it would be interesting to hear from you. =)

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ai.tran.75 So far it seems the SPs have the most vivid pictures in their mind visually and possibly for recalling smells and feels and tastes that we have heard so far, anyway, but not as much music. And the NFs seem to have all the abstract stuff, but amazingly music seems very clear in many of our NF minds with perfect recall. The NTs minds never stop and seem abstract in images as well, they also seem to experience music clearly, correct?

SJs... it would be interesting to hear from you. =)
Yeah from observation - Ne have multiple thoughts and can recall voices, abstract with image. NI similar but more singular focus . Fi- remembers emotions of situation however I need more isfp and infp to respond .
SE is very visual.
I'm still waiting for Si to respond. I notice intuitive have more abstract thoughts than sensor at this point, but Si is subjective so let's see ...
How do you recall memories ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Yeah from observation - Ne have multiple thoughts and can recall voices, abstract with image. NI similar but more singular focus . Fi- remembers emotions of situation however I need more isfp and infp to respond .
SE is very visual.
I'm still waiting for Si to respond. I notice intuitive have more abstract thoughts than sensor at this point, but Si is subjective so let's see ...
How do you recall memories ?

I can't remember what his name was (maybe he will appear), but there was a ISFJ here whose tagline was a quote: "The past beats in my breast like a second heart." Something like that. And I thought... wow that's what a dom Si must feel. They should get on here and start beating us all out with their visual and senory memory, wouldn't you think?
Calling all Si users!

How do I recall memories?: It's all abstract. Every time I write that word, I feel like looking it up. Of course I know what abstract means, but I bet any S-user would wonder about what the experience of abstract is.... I think what I wrote about the raspberry taste applies. It's more like I remember the sensations that the pleasure of the raspberry causes in me better than the taste of the raspberry. You know what? Because you are able to remember the taste of raspberries clearly, it's making me think I need to eat more Mindfully. Also I am amazed and love it that you experience the same thing as me with the art images flashing and that you find it disturbing too! How awesome that we share that! Yeah, I haven't attempted to draw or paint or sculp any of the images that flash like that because they disturb me. I remember the colors and shapes of those flashes better than I remember the objects in the room around me, actually. You know how I view my mind like a stage with background, midground, and forefront? and then people speaking to me, me speaking or writing, or research is even closer and is the 4th part of my brain-stage? Well, I think when I'm talking or writing that that becomes my thought, theres not any 5th thought riding underneath it, unless I'm introsecting. I bet other people plan out what they are going to say right before they say it?
What about you, Ai? You're such a neat person and a peace-maker, Ai. =)

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't remember what his name was (maybe he will appear), but there was a ISFJ here whose tagline was a quote: "The past beats in my breast like a second heart." Something like that. And I thought... wow that's what a dom Si must feel. They should get on here and start beating us all out with their visual and senory memory, wouldn't you think?
Calling all Si users!

How do I recall memories?: It's all abstract. Every time I write that word, I feel like looking it up. Of course I know what abstract means, but I bet any S-user would wonder about what the experience of abstract is.... I think what I wrote about the raspberry taste applies. It's more like I remember the sensations that the pleasure of the raspberry causes in me better than the taste of the raspberry. You know what? Because you are able to remember the taste of raspberries clearly, it's making me think I need to eat more Mindfully. Also I am amazed and love it that you experience the same thing as me with the art images flashing and that you find it disturbing too! How awesome that we share that! Yeah, I haven't attempted to draw or paint or sculp any of the images that flash like that because they disturb me. I remember the colors and shapes of those flashes better than I remember the objects in the room around me, actually. You know how I view my mind like a stage with background, midground, and forefront? and then people speaking to me, me speaking or writing, or research is even closer and is the 4th part of my brain-stage? Well, I think when I'm talking or writing that that becomes my thought, theres not any 5th thought riding underneath it, unless I'm introsecting. I bet other people plan out what they are going to say right before they say it?
What about you, Ai? You're such a neat person and a peace-maker, Ai. =)
Hey there- when it comes to memories my mind would kinda time travel back to a train of thoughts or conversation- I will feel as if I'm at that age in that moment again but only for a brief moment- it's wonderful yes but unfortunately my memories only come to me when I'm sad or when something tragic is occurring in my life - sometimes reading my old journal entry help me vaguely experience a train of thought that Ive had during the time.
Yeah I can recall taste very well in my mind- not so much when I'm dreaming though, I think it's because of my love for food :) oh yeah i can only recall tastes i enjoy - I mean I don't recall what bitter taste like unless it's bittersweet so in a way my memory of tastes is bias ( I'm glad it is- I don't remember how food I dislike tastes like )
Yeah I was actually shock when I read about your random color and shape flashes- it sends chills down my spine just now- an image of weird floating squares in yellow and black just flashed in my mind. For the longest time I thought every one have multiple trsijn of thoughts and conversation running through their mind.
I think before I verbalize most of the time- however there were many train of thoughts occurring at the same moment- it's odd- kinda like I have a main focus- but like you stated, a few back ground stages also runs around .
Oh I notice when reading something very detail oriented- I can visualize it and feel as if I'm there for a brief moment.
You know I pride myself for having vivid thoughts but when conversing with Se user - they actually see images and can rearrange and fix the image they visualize, funny how subjective the word vivid could be.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
@ai.tran.75 That's a great way to describe the "abstract" memory or visualization. It's what I was trying to think of. I also get like a second or two of a more complete picture--- not the whole picture though, and then sometimes I'll get some detail but not anything else, everything else will be lines and some colors. Like if I'm thinking about this new avatar of mine. I get the red color (the raspberry color! lol ) and I get an outline of her face in a flash and often I get a highlight of light to give the impression of the sunshine if there is some. Going back to the raspberry. I can picture the raspberry for a few seconds and then my mind "holds" the idea of the color, the dust on it (that's the detail I envisioned actually from @Northern Lights description), the sunshine by way of light highlights, the green behind. I can keep getting flashes of the entire raspberry when I tell my mind to keep returning, but my mind doesn't want to "hold' it for more than a few seconds. Hmm... is it like that for you, kind of?

·
Registered
ISTP
1,203 Posts
How do I recall memories?: It's all abstract. Every time I write that word, I feel like looking it up.
So do I. But I found I have a very perfect example for my idea of abstract memories: Like I said, I don't remember bad feelings. I just know I felt bad, and I know what "feeling bad" feels like, but that means it's the concept of the feeling I recall -- not the feeling.

Which, if you think about it, at least makes sense within the theory we have (super low S vs. super low F). It stands to reason you should be able to recall (or recreate to a degree, even) exactly how you felt when eating the raspberry in some situation. Is that the case?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
So do I. But I found I have a very perfect example for my idea of abstract memories: Like I said, I don't remember bad feelings. I just know I felt bad, and I know what "feeling bad" feels like, but that means it's the concept of the feeling I recall -- not the feeling.

Which, if you think about it, at least makes sense within the theory we have (super low S vs. super low F). It stands to reason you should be able to recall (or recreate to a degree, even) exactly how you felt when eating the raspberry in some situation. Is that the case?
Yes, exactly! To your first paragraph. I may have ot think about the 2nd paragraph.
I can't taste it, but I remember how I felt or the concept, as you've described, of how I felt in response to the raspberry. Yes. Like a memory of the concept of peace and warmth in the sun and a memory of the concept of the pleasure of the raspberry. @ai.tran.75 can remember the actual taste of the raspberry, and we thought you could (?) which makes me think (you probably read me say this) that I need to train myself to concentrate on tastes-- Mindful Eating rather than just eating.
This is not so with music, though. I can hear the music in my mind clearly. My ISTP dad who loves classical and raised me with it, he always said Beethoven who composed while deaf could compose because he could hear the music in his mind. I didn't know why my dad impressed this on me, usually he doesn't try to impress ideas on others, and it seemed easy to accept to me. I wonder if my dad doesn't hear music in his mind like I do.... which I will have to find out... and which seems crazy to me because he gave all this music to me my whole life. He finds the best recordings of everything and his ear is perfect. Goodnight Northern Lights! It's fun contrasting and talking to you! =)

·
Registered
ISTP
1,203 Posts
... and we thought you could (?)
Yes, but I realised I lack the words to describe it. I know exactly what it tastes like, and I know what it tasted like last summer (it wasn't entirely ripe when I picked one), but all I end up with is a tautology -- the raspberry tasted like raspberry. And not like cranberries, which I also picked and ate, but can't describe either. This drives me slightly nuts, actually. I have to eat more and see if I can't find words for it.

But ultimately -- what I remember is the raw taste, that's why there are now words to begin with. If I could describe it, I probably would have abstracted from the taste. So that seems to be a different step, and easier for visual things. Interesting.

Anyway, good night to you too :happy:

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
6,996 Posts
How vivid are your imagination?
what senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?
When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all
Wow, a lot of functions can come into this. This will probably lean more towards introversion for me;

I don't have a vivid imagination anymore, it was something I sort of grew out of. As I got older I become a lot more practical and realistic, was the complete opposite when I was younger. When I was a kid I used to be able to draw something completely out of my head, now it takes a conscious effort to do something like and need to observe the detail of whatever I am drawing first.

The second question is unclear to me. It depends what I'm thinking about. Recalling a memory, it is of course blurry and I mostly remember the feeling associated with it. I recall words or the conversation the most, things that seemed subtle and unimportant at the time that now have more significance because I'm old enough to understand. If it's problem solving, then I will try to think about it visually - I'm mostly a visual learner. Decision making, I will think of the consequences, or what happened last time.

Probably singular. I prefer to focus on one thing at a time, bring all my attention and efforts to it.

Yes, maybe too many as I forget to actually say much (kind of a downside to being an introvert). I'm quite judgemental, trying to decide what I think of the person, if I have anything in common with them and what I don't, and deciding if they're genuine basically. Every small thing they do will leave some kind of impression on me. I don't think I'm very good at figuring people out though, which leads to...maybe not paranoia, but overthinking.

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, a lot of functions can come into this. This will probably lean more towards introversion for me;

I don't have a vivid imagination anymore, it was something I sort of grew out of. As I got older I become a lot more practical and realistic, was the complete opposite when I was younger. When I was a kid I used to be able to draw something completely out of my head, now it takes a conscious effort to do something like and need to observe the detail of whatever I am drawing first.

The second question is unclear to me. It depends what I'm thinking about. Recalling a memory, it is of course blurry and I mostly remember the feeling associated with it. I recall words or the conversation the most, things that seemed subtle and unimportant at the time that now have more significance because I'm old enough to understand. If it's problem solving, then I will try to think about it visually - I'm mostly a visual learner. Decision making, I will think of the consequences, or what happened last time.

Probably singular. I prefer to focus on one thing at a time, bring all my attention and efforts to it.

Yes, maybe too many as I forget to actually say much (kind of a downside to being an introvert). I'm quite judgemental, trying to decide what I think of the person, if I have anything in common with them and what I don't, and deciding if they're genuine basically. Every small thing they do will leave some kind of impression on me. I don't think I'm very good at figuring people out though, which leads to...maybe not paranoia, but overthinking.
How are your fantasy like when you're a child?

Do you recall voice , tastes or sounds in your mind? Does music help you think better or do you daydream to music?
If you were to lose something- how would you trace your thoughts to find something

Also when reminiscing something- do you recall the emotion of the situation or justntge events that occurred

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
@ai.tran.75

• How vivid are your imagination?
    Not particularly at all, at least how I define "imagination". My focus is typically on solving real-world problems... my recollection of real details is quite vivid and I often use them in understanding/solving current problems and situations, but it does not fall under the definition of "imagination".
  • What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something?
    Recollections of all types of previously experienced sensory details are all quite vividly detailed, and I can consciously call them up virtually at will.
  • Is it more visual /verbal/audio?
    While they are all quite good, there are not all equally good. From best to least best, I would order them:
    • Taste/Smell
    • Visual
    • Auditory
    • Touch/Feel
  • Do multiple thoughts play out at once or are you more singular focus?
    Singular focus... VERY focused on one train of thought at a time.
  • When conversing with somebody - what thoughts crosses your mind- do you have any thoughts at all?
    Thoughts are nonstop, which often makes having real-time conversations difficult. Every response I formulate is usually mentally prepared and iteratively proofread/corrected for accuracy, consistency, etc. before I deliver it verbally.

There's usually a fine line walked between giving full attention to the other person and preparing a response. If I start preparing my response before the other person has finished, they can tend to actually fade away from my awareness as my mind singularly focuses on the response. If I suppress the thoughts while the other person is speaking, there will often be a slow/delayed response while I engage my internal due diligence process.

This appears to be a rather common ISTJ trait, but I personally feel like I'm at the extreme end... or at least it feels that way to me. At our best, we tend to have a slow, halting speech delivery as we try to keep the "speech buffer" full. At our worst, we can often tend to get behind in a conversation. Funny thing is that it has nothing to do with being "slow" in general. I'd bet that ISTJ are at or near the top in the amount information we mentally process in our day to day activities... it's more about our cautious insistence on considering EVERYTHING and making sure we are about to say EXACTLY what we intend to say before we issue our responses.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
6,996 Posts
How are your fantasy like when you're a child?

Do you recall voice , tastes or sounds in your mind? Does music help you think better or do you daydream to music?
If you were to lose something- how would you trace your thoughts to find something

Also when reminiscing something- do you recall the emotion of the situation or justntge events that occurred

Something made up, role play, inventing something from my imagination. They kind of varied a lot i think, could have been acting a scene or something in my surroundings. I was pretty strange as a kid c:

I recall voice/taste/sound but not strongly, maybe could if I tried? When I think about a memory it is more like a snapshot of that moment, or a glimpse of it, rather than a series of events or something really vivid.

I listen to music to get energy and motivation, and use it to be able to study for longer. I even chose certain genre depending on the activity. Idk if it helps my concentration or makes it worse though.

When I lose something I think "where would I place this down if I were holding it right now?" (that's probably a Ti thing?) If that doesn't work then it's usually hidden under something.

The emotion of the situation more so - isn't that why we have certain memories of a moment? There is a feeling attached to it.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I don't remember bad feelings. I just know I felt bad, and I know what "feeling bad" feels like, but that means it's the concept of the feeling I recall -- not the feeling.
Very much true for me. I'm just shy of 62 years old and cannot ever remember having a vivid/realistic recreation of an emotion/feeling in the same way I can recall realistic duplicates of sensory experiences.

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something made up, role play, inventing something from my imagination. They kind of varied a lot i think, could have been acting a scene or something in my surroundings. I was pretty strange as a kid c:

I recall voice/taste/sound but not strongly, maybe could if I tried? When I think about a memory it is more like a snapshot of that moment, or a glimpse of it, rather than a series of events or something really vivid.

I listen to music to get energy and motivation, and use it to be able to study for longer. I even chose certain genre depending on the activity. Idk if it helps my concentration or makes it worse though.

When I lose something I think "where would I place this down if I were holding it right now?" (that's probably a Ti thing?) If that doesn't work then it's usually hidden under something.

The emotion of the situation more so - isn't that why we have certain memories of a moment? There is a feeling attached to it.
I played pretend and have imaginary friends( i knew they were imaginary) as a child as well.

Interesting - when I lose something I'll retrace my memory to where I recall seeing it last and replay each scene in my head through chronological order

Yeah I don't recall emotion from a situation but reminiscing a situation will often time make me emotional-

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@jcal
Hmm I don't think I can recall touch or sensation as well either but auditory would top my list- I can recall voices , music quite vividly- do you have conversations in your mind- or do you narrate your thoughts? If so is it used in your own voice
Thanks for responding - I notice Istj talks slower but I'm an Ne dom so I talk faster than most- my thoughts runs even faster.

You mention smell and taste as your 1, how would you describe the taste of raspberry or smell of baked apple pies- along that line

How does memory work for you, like if you were to go look for something you misplaced or trying to remember a conversation

Whats your earliest memory ?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
How vivid is your imagination?

Pretty vivid. Things I imagine I see in a fair amount of detail.

What senses can you feel or use when thinking about something ?

Not sure how to answer this. You mean in the process of thinking itself, as in how do I vocalize thoughts internally? Or what I think about? Or what senses I use when recalling something?

Are we talking about just thinking? About the past, future, present? I'm hopelessly lost. Please send help.

My thought process is scattered and fragmented. I am constantly moving between possibilities. It's very rare I have a singular focus.

When talking to someone I want to talk to: I am exploring possibilities created by what they are saying. I am measuring it against things they have said in the past, either to discover new revelations ("different things click together to form a new realization") or to realize contradictions and inconsistencies in their values and thoughts.

I ask an obscene amount of questions when talking to someone. It's probably one of my most defining characteristics.

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Coburn
Thanks for your reply - I'm always most intrigued by them

I guess I meant when thinking or recalling memories ( or imagination) can you use senses such as visual- verbal-touch- tastes- smell etc could be thinking about past present and future

I meant how you vocalize your thought internally or what sense you recall when retracing a memory
For example- what thought comes out to play when I ask you to think of autumn or can you remember what a person look like through your thoughts?

For example - my thoughts are mainly conversational, but I'll have light images of movie like scene playing- along with thoughts of introspection running all at once
It's easy for me to recall voice , sound or taste
With image and touch I need to use more concentration, even so the image is abstract and not clear in my mind . My mind never stops - unless I'm extremely intrigue in writing , reading or watching a movie- if that's the case then I'll usually enter the story within itself and have light visual memory of it

Reactions: Librarian

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m always overthinking things and my brain is constantly running, but I think it would be interesting to talk more about creativity and senses I feel when I’m thinking.

There's this creepy thing I do when I’m tuned out of "real life" and have nothing else urgent to do or think about. This is my introverted sensing talking here:
If I try to picture a specific person's face, I see them the last time I made real, meaningful eye contact with them. I don’t see whatever’s in front of me, I see this moving picture (complete with background) of them instead. And, it's like I can physically hear a snippet of whatever they were saying, and whatever the background noise was like. If there was a noticeable smell, whether their cologne or something else important to that situation, it comes back to me too. I’m overwhelmed by the same feeling I felt when it happened in real life too, whether it was tension, fear, happiness, etc. I can physically feel my heart get lighter when I picture my sister.

An good example would be if I picture my uncle. The whole scene is focused on him, the background is a little out of focus but I can totally tell we’re in his basement before it was renovated. He was wearing an orange shirt. Everything suddenly goes quiet and his voice gets louder and louder until he’s full-out yelling at me. I can hear the white noise of my relatives talking in the background. I can smell bacon grease and ketchup. I remember my eyes widening and my heart dropping in fear, and I feel it presently, too.
I’ve seen him plenty of times since that day, but haven’t made such intense eye contact since that time he yelled at me, so that’s the scene I picture him in. That short clip is all I see, and then I come back to reality.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts