Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but, ya know, procrastination and all that jazz...

So, how do you guys think?

Like do you think in words, pictures, situations, ideas?

I was thinking about this when I was riding in the car, and I started examining my thoughts, and I realized that I don't think in words. Like, it's not a running commentary in my head. I think mostly in concepts and ideas, and things that can't be expressed. I think using pictures a lot, and sound. Visual and auditory, that's how my thoughts are. The only time I think using words is when I'm thinking out loud, and that way of thinking just seems really tedious to me.

It makes answering the question "What are you thinking?" even harder. Because I already don't want someone to know, and even if I did, I couldn't tell them, because I can't say it. They'd have to visualize it, they'd have to see it. There are rarely any words.

Reactions: Mendelevium

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's basically how I think - in ideas. It's hard for me to answer when someone askes whether I think abou the past, present or future becuase there really is no set time in my thouhgts, just ideas.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Good question! I've thought about the shape of thoughts so many times!

My mode of thinking is visual, but also very verbal, or abstract, like white and gray lines converging into weeks and months, and random facts chain-linked immediately - the same way an amino acid strand is created during RNA transcription. Everything is kind of hazy; a dark dome with many "ideas", some flashy, some dim, most roaming around - the same way microtubules criss-cross inside cells.

Sometimes it's a swarm of crickets, a shooting spree, and rabid disorganization - a computer gone mad, entropic data entries on a terminal window (usually when involving math or chemistry, where I see equations played out). When things crystallize it's very, very quick - the flash of a camera inside the dark dome.

This is a poor rendition. I would love to see what it actually looks like, but it's ineffable (for now).

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Would you believe that my thoughts resemble emotionally-toned geometry?

Did anyone see that coming? :wink:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Odd as it might seem, my thoughts are based on impressions and abstractions in a rather rudimentary form of the five senses that are infinitely more efficient than conscious processing. It generally takes me longer to form a commentary on something than just allowing my mind to form an impression of it and rely on that, because consciously trying to remember something is the precursor to forgetting it sooner than my subconscious impressions. On some days, my thoughts are obscured by what can only be referred to as a 'fog' or 'mist' that slows my thoughts.

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
988 Posts
My mind relies on a system of impressions and abstractions that resemble a more rudimentary form of the five physical senses, although it is infinitely faster than conscious processing. I cannot think words, music, colors, pictures, etcetera, but I generally have a very clear impression of whatever situation is at hand, which is quite useful. I am the type of person to possess highly chaotic and subtle thought pattern -- at least until I try to distinctly pronounce a word in my head, which I somehow cannot do without emphasis. At that, I feel quite stupid. :mellow:

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's a change of focus looping between blurry dreamlike images forming on a photographic film or mirages behind a shroud of liquid or gaseous substance (which by the way annoyingly quite often stays with you when viewing worldly objects directly) and an obscure notion of 'meaning' emerging to enrich them. To attain closure, this process will be continued with growing intensity until it manages to overwhelm your whole being and become one single mystical experience. It's also a little like recollecting a dream and trying really hard not to forget it.
So yes, in short, it's mainly visual.
It makes answering the question "What are you thinking?" even harder. They'd have to visualize it, they'd have to see it. There are rarely any words.
It generally takes me longer to form a commentary on something than just allowing my mind to form an impression of it and rely on that, because consciously trying to remember something is the precursor to forgetting it sooner than my subconscious impressions.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm not really sure. I think in words a lot, but that's like the finalized thought. If I'm thinking in words, I think about it first elsewhere in my head. So I think before I think before I speak. Sometimes I think before I think before I think before I think before I speak. Think about how many times the word 'think' has bounced around inside my brain trying to write this.
:unsure:

I think visually a lot of the time, but I don't think much about the images and they don't really relate to the thought. Sometimes sounds and images and smells are attached to particular thoughts without an obvious reason. For example, I'm currently picturing a certain part of my old school on the outside. It's switching between two views - front, side, front, side. The image is on a sort of skewed rectangle which is surrounded by a medium grey.

When I start thinking about a certain thing, I start creating different thought paths. I'll be continuing the first thing but other parts of my mind will be jumping around connecting to other things. I'll start more thought paths branching off from those other things and I'll keep jumping around at the same time. Eventually, my mind gets so crazy that I have to take a step back and start thinking about thinking and I try to pick out the useful thoughts from this big buzzing mess while it's still jumping around and end up with a sort of idea. I'll pick it up and turn it around and look at it from different angles and the process starts again.

If I'm left alone with my thoughts, I usually keep the rest of myself very, very still without realising it.

Another thing to consider is my synesthesia - for me, numbers (sometimes letters and written musical notes too) have personalities and genders and relationships. 8 is a fat, jolly king. 7 is a failed supervillain who plans to take over the world by finding another 7 to square himself by to become 49. 56 is when 7 bribes King 8 and King 8 accepts the bribe and they're both laughing about 6 behind 6's back. 20 is when 5 helps 4 over a wall...at night.

You ought to see my mind when I'm playing Sudoku.
:wink:

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Odd as it might seem, my thoughts are based on impressions and abstractions in a rather rudimentary form of the five senses that are infinitely more efficient than conscious processing.
This is very similar to what I call e-t g. I'm glad you wrote this. Now I don't feel as alone. :happy:

Is this, I wonder, the very definition of Ne (extroverted intuition) and is the process you use to analyse this information the Ti (introverted thinking)?

I suspect that it is. For me, emotions bleed through this artificial world, adding a richness to thought.

Anyone else wanna comment on this? Are Mendel and I anomalous?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I'm left alone with my thoughts, I usually keep the rest of myself very, very still without realising it.
I stay very still as well, it's quite eerie.

My thoughts tend to go off on random tangents, like all of a sudden my eyes will drift off to the side and stare into blank space. But the weird thing about this is that I'm not consciously thinking anything. There's no thoughts or images running through my mind; I think this is when my unconscious is thinking, pondering something just out of my awareness, and I can feel it but I can't think it, can't understand it.

Another thing to consider is my synesthesia - for me, numbers (sometimes letters and written musical notes too) have personalities and genders and relationships. 8 is a fat, jolly king. 7 is a failed supervillain who plans to take over the world by finding another 7 to square himself by to become 49. 56 is when 7 bribes King 8 and King 8 accepts the bribe and they're both laughing about 6 behind 6's back. 20 is when 5 helps 4 over a wall...at night.
LOL, I love this XD

I thought I was the only one who did this. It's numbers and letters for me, and sometimes even words. Words will take on the colour of whatever letters are in them. Like the word "letters" is a grayish, steel colour, and the word "colour" is a mix of yellow, red, and orange. Even though L is a bluish/greenish/grayish letter, it get's canceled out by the presence of the C and R, which are brighter, yellower letters. I read sentences, and it's like a swirl of colours and feeling is dancing throughout my mind, and it makes it so much more interesting, to see how the words are coloured by the letters.

Sometimes there aren't even colours or words to express the way a word or letter or number feels, like 49. It feels like 49, and that's just it. There's no other way to explain it. Numbers like 76, 144, 169, they're all coloured by the numbers, and there's no word, no colour, no feeling to express how they feel to me, they just have a sort of aura about them that makes each number different from the other, and it frustrates me that I can't express this, that there aren't any words.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think situation based... then I wonder why I am thinking that, then I wonder why I am thinking I am thinking that and so on.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I stay very still as well, it's quite eerie.

My thoughts tend to go off on random tangents, like all of a sudden my eyes will drift off to the side and stare into blank space. But the weird thing about this is that I'm not consciously thinking anything. There's no thoughts or images running through my mind; I think this is when my unconscious is thinking, pondering something just out of my awareness, and I can feel it but I can't think it, can't understand it.

Sometimes there aren't even colours or words to express the way a word or letter or number feels, like 49. It feels like 49, and that's just it. There's no other way to explain it. Numbers like 76, 144, 169, they're all coloured by the numbers, and there's no word, no colour, no feeling to express how they feel to me, they just have a sort of aura about them that makes each number different from the other, and it frustrates me that I can't express this, that there aren't any words.
This is quite true to how my mind works too.
One day, it might be possible to see an accurate representation of someone else's thought process.

The knowledge might kill us.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is quite true to how my mind works too.
One day, it might be possible to see an accurate representation of someone else's thought process.

The knowledge might kill us.
That's something I want to do...I want to create something where your thoughts or images in your brain can be transmitted either directly to the brain of another person, or onto a medium like a screen for other people to see. I get so sick of trying to explain things to people that you really have to just see to really understand.

Reactions: feefafo

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd like to say I have my own internal dialog at all times that clearly analyzes (mostly) everything. If it's an action, I weigh the pros and cons through deep contemplation and observation of the situation. I tend to over think things, so most of my actions reviewed a million times in my head before it even happens. When I'm just thinking about things, in a random matter, I tend to move from concept to concept and from idea to idea, all while this internal dialog is going on and talking about those different things and how they relate to each other and other obscurities. I don't visually think in words, but sometimes I create short movies in my mind and review them and replay them. I sometimes visualize possible outcomes for scenarios. So, I'd say I think in pictures, ideas and situations for the most part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts