Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This is how I use Fe. Uh, oh, wait a second, I thought we were talking about iron!
I've been taking a hydrology class, and we constantly use the variables Fi (cumulative frequency) and Se (initial saturation).

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think we can consciously use our inferior functions.
True.

But Fe is not unconscious, we just suck at it.

I think I use Fe consciously when I start hitting on women. That's really the only time I use it. Even then its buried deep in a pile of Ti and any attempt to use it will make me look like a child.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I take it Fe can cause problems for you? My Ne does the same for me. I am trying to see if inferior functions are the same across types.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we can consciously use our inferior functions.

This is probably true. I don't feel like I can control my use of Ne. Fe seems like something that can be controlled, so I wasn't sure.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I think we can develop our inferior functions as we mature and get older and consciously use it more with time and practice.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
With inferior Fe, I am completely disdainful of many social...expectations, rituals, things that dom- or aux-Fe users hold sacrosanct.

When I think of Fe, I think of napkins. My EXFJ grandma insists that napkins should be folded at the dinner table; and not just folded any which way. They must be folded diagonally. My INFJ folds the napkins. Me...what? We need napkins?

See the difference? :wink: I've actually mentioned the napkin story before in another thread, where me and my grandma got into a fight, because I wouldn't fold the napkins. It ended with me telling her if she wanted the napkins folded, she could fold them herself, and then I walked out of the dining room.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Unless I have some Se input that gives me a logical Ti reason to do Fe like things, I use it badly.

Fe is kind of anti-Ti. It's hard to do things when they don't make sense to me.

Reactions: madhatter

·
Registered
247 Posts
With inferior Fe, I am completely disdainful of many social...expectations, rituals, things that dom- or aux-Fe users hold sacrosanct.

When I think of Fe, I think of napkins. My EXFJ grandma insists that napkins should be folded at the dinner table; and not just folded any which way. They must be folded diagonally. My INFJ folds the napkins. Me...what? We need napkins?
I've never understood napkins. If I need a napkin, I'll get a napkin. But I sure as shit won't sit there folding freaking napkins *just in case* I need a napkin.

But I don't think ahead like that. Dinner, to me, does not equate to a possibility. It's just a meal. There are probably a thousand things that could go wrong during dinner, many of which necessitating a napkin. And if one of those worst case scenarios happens, I know where to find the napkins and I'll solve the problem. But until I need to act, I'm gonna eat my dinner, napkin-less. Thankyouverymuch.

------------

This is probably why I have never hosted a dinner party.

OH GOD. I just had a vision of hosting a dinner party run through my head. Shivers down my spine, nausea.... make...it....stop....

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I've never understood napkins. If I need a napkin, I'll get a napkin. But I sure as shit won't sit there folding freaking napkins *just in case* I need a napkin.

But I don't think ahead like that. Dinner, to me, does not equate to a possibility. It's just a meal. There are probably a thousand things that could go wrong during dinner, many of which necessitating a napkin. And if one of those worst case scenarios happens, I know where to find the napkins and I'll solve the problem. But until I need to act, I'm gonna eat my dinner, napkin-less. Thankyouverymuch.

------------

This is probably why I have never hosted a dinner party.

OH GOD. I just had a vision of hosting a dinner party run through my head. Shivers down my spine, nausea.... make...it....stop....
Well, it wasn't a *just in case* thing. I was setting the table (I think it was a holiday or something, because the grandparents were over). Really, folding the napkins is pointless, and I maintain that stance to this day.

Hosting a dinner party would be an utter nightmare.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You're right - folding napkins is a completely unnecessary step. I take it a little far, and just don't see the need to "think ahead" about peripherals like napkins and extra forks and whatnot. My brain just doesn't work that way.

I threw a party in July at my house. I don't do those very often - about once every four or five years. A real good example of my "hosting" skills - I went to Sam's Club the afternoon of the party and picked up a bunch of food and drink, set it all out, and then got drunk enough so that other women at the party would have to host and greet guests :).

I do throw a damn good party - lots of booze, lots of food, and no organized anything at all... if you want to start a fire in my backyard, you go right the hell ahead. Fire rules. Just don't expect me to notice that we're out of food, or that you need a fucking napkin. I'm a self-service host.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
The closest I've come to hosting, is having one or two friends over at a time. The last time a couple of my high school friends who are dating came over to hang with me and my brother. We had pizza, beer, and played euchre, and it was really fun. My kind of get together. I just threw a stack of napkins on the table...didn't even pass them out. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I never realized Fe had so much to do with this...no wonder I clash with FJ's so bad. Would that be why my INFJ dad is always telling me how to act normal and whatnot? I mean it never shocked me that an ISTJ (mom) would try to get me to act normal, but I never understood that coming from an NF. Maybe I just don't have a handle on Fe.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yeah, I would say that Fe has a lot to do with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts