Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title said. Can you provide me with examples on how do you use your Se function IRL? How much do you think it is different from Si?

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ah, I wonder why no one answered this? To be quite honest, I'm not that well versed on the functions yet, but I'll give this a shot. If my examples aren't actually Se, do correct me so I can learn more.

I use Se often. When I'm walking to class I try to take in all views of the people around me and how they're acting. Usually I can spot something strange or interesting going on and then I focus on it from there and save the information to possibly use it for conversation at a later point. If I'm walking with someone, I usually make comments about the other people or things we see in hopes of inspiring something more in depth.

In class, I spend most of my time looking around at the other people and seeing their reactions to what the professor says. From this I try and gain an idea of their character or what type of person they are or what type of people they like. When I talk with people, I always watch for body language and reactions to what I say to see how appropriately I'm steering the conversation. Usually I look for their tolerance to sarcasm to see how far I can go with it without them getting offended. If I can tell they're pretty turned off by me in general, I shut up. With interactions with the environment and other people, when I'm alone I usually take the time to introspect and come up with conclusions about people and their actions. The platform for that for me is Fi.

Oh, I almost forgot. I use it when I'm arranging a space like a room or bookshelf or something. It's kind of like I just know where things would look most appealing without thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I just took a functions test and it said I had really strong Se and placed me as an ISFP or an ESFP....I took the test before, quite awhile ago, and got ENFP or INFP due to strong Ne...but the examples Ry made sound a lot like me. I don't want to have type confusion again, so I really have to figure out these functions and how I use them....

·
Registered
21 Posts
One way I use my Se is by observing the way people walk. I find it fascinating.

Some people take big steps, some little.
Some people sway their arms.. or not.
Some people point their feet in, some out.

One of my bosses, when he walks his neck muscles must relax or something cause his head bounces all over the place. It's kinda amusing.

It's interesting, because I actually have bad eyesight, I'm near-sighted. Even with glasses I have a hard time recognizing people when they are far away. I use what I know about how someone walks to recognize who they are.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts

One of my bosses, when he walks his neck muscles must relax or something cause his head bounces all over the place. It's kinda amusing.

It's interesting, because I actually have bad eyesight, I'm near-sighted. Even with glasses I have a hard time recognizing people when they are far away. I use what I know about how someone walks to recognize who they are.
I actually watch the way people move, walk, and bounce as well. I can easily recognize someone by it if I'm familiar enough with their gait.

I'm acutely aware of mannerisms and inflections of the voice. I pay a lot of attention to eye contact, lack thereof, hand gestures, nervous behavior, and so on. I like to watch people most because of their movements, they're all quite unique.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Isn't Si more of a memory / experience storage function (associating physical occurrences with memories, music, sounds, smells, etc.) while Se deals with physical present surrounding a person?

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: my melody

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I'll elaborate on social situations and Se.

With Se, I am able to follow many different conversations at once and easily jump into almost any of them as long as I want to. While conversing with people, I pay a lot of attention to how their voice changes and their facial expressions to detect any fallacies, angry, or overall happiness. If someone says they're OK but it doesn't sound right in their voice, I'll assume they're lying. If someone isn't participating in conversation and looking down or towards people with a sad curiosity, then I'll take it that they're either depressed or trying to get attention.

If someone is laughing too loudly at a joke that isn't funny, I will take into account who made the joke and why they would laugh like an idiot. Usually it's done when people are flirting or interested in someone. It's blatantly obvious at times. I've also been able to pick up things that others aren't aware of. Such as tension, awkwardness, anger, and all that stuff between people. It's not any intuition on my part, I just carefully deduce the situation based on how everyone is acting.

I'm sensitive to the awkwardness that can happen when someone makes an unfunny or inappropriate joke. Sometimes people ask me if they went too far with some jokes and I'll be honest about it. I pay attention to how everyone else react to other people other than myself. I'm not just focusing on myself in this situation.

All of this also helps when you happen to know background on the people so I'm not just making assumptions about the situations. Sometimes I don't need to be told, they're just that obvious.

Se also helps with detecting how to jive with some people. I'm not the most proficient person socially, but it helps a lot to know how to work off of other people's moods. My biggest fault is that sometimes I don't think before I speak. That has gotten me in some hot water to say the least.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts

I also know who is walking, by the sound of how they walk. Of course I have to know them. ;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts

With Se, I am able to follow many different conversations at once and easily jump into almost any of them as long as I want to. While conversing with people, I pay a lot of attention to how their voice changes and their facial expressions to detect any fallacies, angry, or overall happiness. If someone says they're OK but it doesn't sound right in their voice, I'll assume they're lying. If someone isn't participating in conversation and looking down or towards people with a sad curiosity, then I'll take it that they're either depressed or trying to get attention.

If someone is laughing too loudly at a joke that isn't funny, I will take into account who made the joke and why they would laugh like an idiot. Usually it's done when people are flirting or interested in someone. It's blatantly obvious at times. I've also been able to pick up things that others aren't aware of. Such as tension, awkwardness, anger, and all that stuff between people. It's not any intuition on my part, I just carefully deduce the situation based on how everyone is acting.

I'm sensitive to the awkwardness that can happen when someone makes an unfunny or inappropriate joke. Sometimes people ask me if they went too far with some jokes and I'll be honest about it. I pay attention to how everyone else react to other people other than myself. I'm not just focusing on myself in this situation.

All of this also helps when you happen to know background on the people so I'm not just making assumptions about the situations. Sometimes I don't need to be told, they're just that obvious.

Se also helps with detecting how to jive with some people. I'm not the most proficient person socially, but it helps a lot to know how to work off of other people's moods. My biggest fault is that sometimes I don't think before I speak. That has gotten me in some hot water to say the least.
This is actually spot on,i could never really explain it. Kudos!

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

At some points I can relate. Last year I wrote a blog about my experience with body language:
Body Language, Crushes, and Lies - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

But there's something different in our body language reading skills, which I assume is the basic different between Se and Si. I'm still trying to figure it out. Perhaps you can help me spot it?

Reactions: Fizz

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
At some points I can relate. Last year I wrote a blog about my experience with body language:
Body Language, Crushes, and Lies - Blogs - PersonalityCafe

But there's something different in our body language reading skills, which I assume is the basic different between Se and Si. I'm still trying to figure it out. Perhaps you can help me spot it?
Could it possibly be like this:

That would be relying upon past information and renewing it with current data within the situation. Possibly notice any inconsistencies in behavior that would notify you that something is different from previous situations.

I also received a high score on Si, but more so with Se once. I should take the indicator again and see how it turns out. Most of my observations were of the moment and drawing a little from knowledge I knew beforehand.

How would you describe your reaction in social situations? Are you more active or an observer (or active observer)? What do you observe the most in behavior? Do you draw connections between people or behavior? How much do you pull from memory vs the current situation?

Reactions: WickedQueen

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How would you describe your reaction in social situations? Are you more active or an observer (or active observer)? What do you observe the most in behavior? Do you draw connections between people or behavior? How much do you pull from memory vs the current situation?
Hmm... good questions.

Today my co-worker drove me from my client's office to our office, by motorcycle. After 10 minutes on the road, he spoke to me.
Him: "You are such an ignorant."
Me: "Eh?"
Him: "Don't you see that I'm not riding MY motorcycle?"
Me: *looks at the motorcycle* "Oh really? Haha... I don't see the differences."
Him: *sigh*

I realize that I don't pay attention to my surroundings in some details. I don't know the kind of car or motorcycle my colleagues use, I didn't notice when my friend change her hair color, I didn't notice when my best friend gain more weight, I didn't notice when my cousin wearing her engagement ring, etc. I'm also bad at reading direction or map. When I went to a new place with my INFJ bestfriend, it was always her who told me where we should stop, while my mind was busy wondering to the Lala Land.

In social situations where I'm not familiar with, I withdrawn and become an observer. I'm the one sitting quietly in the corner, with my eyes scanning the whole area. I pay attention to what people wear, their body language, their stories, their voice, and their interactions. I analyze all the inputs and make conclusions about each person. Some times I got so fascinated by all of it, I drawn in my own thoughts about them and I forgot to react.

In social situation where I'm familiar with, I'm more of an active speaker. I talk and laugh a lot. I use lots of body language. I also love to entertain my acquaintances with jokes and stories. I lead the conversation easily. I use jokes to learn about people's character. The ones who laugh less are mostly arrogant, for example.

With people I'm familiar with, I pay attention to their body language. I can spot on their routine behavioral, and am able to notice differences or unusual behavior to see if there's something wrong. With people I'm not familiar with, I make connections between their body language with people whom I'm familiar with. I can notice if there's something wrong when they did something uncommon. If they speak lies, my Si works like an intuition. I can't exactly explain how I know that the person is lieing, I just know.

If someone smile, my Si compare the smile with the smiles of people I've seen in my life, and I can tell if the smile is genuine or fake. This also works for other body language. Anger, happy, sad, annoyed, excited, furious, indifferent, etc. I don't need to be a mind reader to know certain emotion or thoughts. Like you previously said before, some times it's blatantly obvious.

There are many "cycle of behaviors" and "routines" that I have acknowledge in humans. By using this knowledge, I can also tell how someone will react even before he/she actually do/say it, just by paying attention to their previous action and how their surroundings responds to them. I think, most of the times people don't realize how similar they are with other people.

Reactions: Fizz

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
@WickedQueen I won't lie, I don't really notice new hairstyles or colors unless it's drastic. I only notice gained weight if it's by a lot, if it's 5 to 15 pounds, I may not notice at all depending upon their body type. And maps, don't get me started on maps, they make little to no sense sometimes. I prefer GPS maps that show me the arrow, that's better in my opinion.

In social situations where I'm not familiar with, I withdrawn and become an observer. I'm the one sitting quietly in the corner, with my eyes scanning the whole area. I pay attention to what people wear, their body language, their stories, their voice, and their interactions. I analyze all the inputs and make conclusions about each person. Some times I got so fascinated by all of it, I drawn in my own thoughts about them and I forgot to react.
If I'm unfamiliar with the situation or I'm not interested in participating, this usually happens. I have my "off" days where I would rather not overwork myself with being a social butterfly.

With people I'm familiar with, I pay attention to their body language. I can spot on their routine behavioral, and am able to notice differences or unusual behavior to see if there's something wrong. With people I'm not familiar with, I make connections between their body language with people whom I'm familiar with. I can notice if there's something wrong when they did something uncommon. If they speak lies, my Si works like an intuition. I can't exactly explain how I know that the person is lieing, I just know.

If someone smile, my Si compare the smile with the smiles of people I've seen in my life, and I can tell if the smile is genuine or fake. This also works for other body language. Anger, happy, sad, annoyed, excited, furious, indifferent, etc. I don't need to be a mind reader to know certain emotion or thoughts. Like you previously said before, some times it's blatantly obvious.
I think this is the Si I experience as well. It's not dominant over Se of course, but it is there. It's what I use to pick up on any behavior that I consider out of the ordinary to those specific people. I can figure out friends before they had a chance to tell me. I know we aren't given credit often times because we're sensors. We're not just relying on the current situation. Si shows that we make connections using past memories and situations rather than "guessing" or making assumptions about people. We usually have good backing to what the situation is about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts