Votes: 15 71.4%
  • I celebrate diversity

Votes: 4 19.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diversity is a fact of life and creates issues, but thats how the world should be and is. I voted accept

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I voted "Accept". If you favor diversity, then by default, you're disfavoring sameness. Which is basically saying that minestrone soup is better than tomato soup. Which is heartily untrue.

{/alcohol}

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I voted "Accept". If you favor diversity, then by default, you're disfavoring sameness. Which is basically saying that minestrone soup is better than tomato soup. Which is heartily untrue.

{/alcohol}
oh i was curious about ISTJ's when I made this thread, hence its location.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of race but of culture.

In the case of immigrants I think they should as best they can adopt the culture of their new home, primarily language and social practices.

I must admit I don't like seeing women covered head-to-toe in black at the shopping center here in Australia, that sort of treatment of women is not a part of our culture and has no place here in my opinion, the people are welcome, but not the social practices that conflict with those of this country (or where ever they migrate too). Not adopting the local language just acts as a hindrance to their own assimilation into their new society and leads to a lack of understanding from 'outsiders' and eventually this manifests as prejudice, this helps no one really.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
"Accept". I have no problems with diversity per se, but at the same time, do not force your ways on me. If you try to tell me your way is better than mine, you're already suspect. I have a way, and it works for me. OTOH, if you do your thing, and I do mine, and you don't give me grief over the way I do my thing, then chances are that we might actually have a reasonably intelligent discussion about our differences and see the opposite sides from a rational and logical standpoint.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I accept diversity. I dislike having it forced upon me.

All--Not meaning to pick on Wake, 'cuz this is an interesting poll--and I suspect many haven't thought about this. But when conducting a poll: Unless people feel very strongly about something, they will usually choose the middle option of three choices. It will usually provide more meaningful results to include the three real choices in the center, flanked by two "out there" choices at either end. Then you stand a better chance of finding their real feelings. And choose your wording carefully. (You see this in selling all of the time: Good, Better, Best. They are guiding you to the Better category.)

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I accept diversity. I dislike having it forced upon me.

All--Not meaning to pick on Wake, 'cuz this is an interesting poll--and I suspect many haven't thought about this. But when conducting a poll: Unless people feel very strongly about something, they will usually choose the middle option of three choices. It will usually provide more meaningful results to include the three real choices in the center, flanked by two "out there" choices at either end. Then you stand a better chance of finding their real feelings. And choose your wording carefully. (You see this in selling all of the time: Good, Better, Best. They are guiding you to the Better category.)
Interesting thoughts. I see that you're in my head again. :crazy:
However, having said that, what I posted ARE my true thoughts on the matter. :tongue:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That's funny!:laughing:

Wake--it's ok. God is an honorary ISTJ.:cool:
says ESTP next to his name. No worries though I'm good at subtraction. All acceptance, no answers the other way so far, interesting.

I consider all people on here to be able to think for themselves. If you don't care to argue its a private poll and a post isn't a requirement. Sure I'll jumble them in the future, but I have confidence that people would choose the way they feel. You could view the capability to view results as probably more harmful because people could persuade themselves to go with the crowd and not be different. Basically, I don't think how this poll was made is done in a way thats a significant hindrance to the poll, but to make a change like that in the future may have some small effect.

People talk about how diversity is a good thing all the time to me, and I respect the opinion. As I respect the opinion that it creates problems, though I try to play peacemaker on the issue. Those other 2 are not odd in todays society, and shouldn't be viewed as "out there"

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would probably put myself between 'accept' and 'celebrate'.

Diversity is what makes things interesting. If you take the concept to the extreme it's like a world of clones and a world where every individual was completely different (which would probably lead to chaos, but at least it wouldn't be boring :crazy:).

You need diversity to get new ideas and new ways of doing things as it can inspire you to 'think outside the box'. There are also parts of other cultures that I support and there are parts that I don't like.

I also find it very interesting how all these different cultures developed around the different parts of the world.

Of course I wouldn't want to be forced to follow someone else's culture but I don't view that as an issue that is related to 'celebrating diversity'.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i didnt vote since im not an istj

i love diversity...different appearences, dialects, music, food, criminal status(u know u want crime to fall back on...and u know u like crime movies)....variety is the spice of life

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i didnt vote since im not an istj

i love diversity...different appearences, dialects, music, food, criminal status(u know u want crime to fall back on...and u know u like crime movies)....variety is the spice of life
what is fluff? *realizes hes not on jeopardy*

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
If only we had the food and not the country, no more immigrants. LOL :laughing: kidding, kidding, that's horrible
I find it very fulfilling for me to seek to understand the people and the culture behind the food. As ISTJs, we tend to love food and drink, partly because of the food and drink itself (sensors) but also for the emotional warmth it brings (people, shared experiences) and because it gives a purpose to social interaction (we gotta eat, a task done together, people helping people and sharing thoughts while working). So, when I go to places serving ethnic food, I want to know about the people, the places, what made them and the food, their life--what it is.

When I eat Chinese, I don't go to buffets. I go to mom and pop places and learn what area of China they are from, what makes Cantonese different from Mandarin, how the children relate to the parents, why they came over and what makes them--them. Same thing with Japanese eateries--I want to know about them and what they think.

A great opener is, "Everyone has a story. What's yours?"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts