1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My father and one of my best friends are both confirmed INTJs and they are both excellent discussion partners. I also consider them to be my only intellectual peers; only INTJs and other INTPs seem to be both intelligent and interested enough to converse with me in a meaningful way about the subjects I consider to be relevant. The only thing I really dislike about INTJs is their tendency to think in a narrow, realistic manner... It's like they think in these little closed-off boxes that are limited by the possible applications of an idea.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
My father and one of my best friends are both confirmed INTJs and they are both excellent discussion partners. I also consider them to be my only intellectual peers; only INTJs and other INTPs seem to be both intelligent and interested enough to converse with me in a meaningful way about the subjects I consider to be relevant. The only thing I really dislike about INTJs is their tendency to think in a narrow, realistic manner... It's like they think in these little closed-off boxes that are limited by the possible applications of an idea.
This... and a few negatives:

• They're too stubborn to admit they're wrong. ("Me? Wrong? Hah!")
• They're very competitive... some drive to be the best, I suppose.
• They're not as philosophical most of the time.

My cousin is an INTJ... a good friend of mine is an INTJ... they're not bad. I like being around them... but it gets old, sometimes.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I love you guys. (In fact I can't think of a type I regularly detest)

But please.

Stop being so damn right all the time.:proud:

Reactions: L'Empereur

·
Registered
135 Posts
idk bro. I haven't really spoken to INTJs. Or any other personality types for that matter. Huh.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
INTJs are cool in my book. they do tend to be more pragmatic about ideas ("will it make money for me?" rather than "what if...?") and more likely to get things done, which makes me feel lazy and useless. (I haven't looked in the "how do you view INTPs" thread yet, but I imagine many of you are like "if only they would get off their butts!") I like fussing about grammar and nitpicking movies with them, but I try not to get too philosophical with them or tell them about what I still haven't done today or with my life. :\

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah pretty much a summary of what everyone has said. They're nice to talk to because you can just do away with the small talk I guess, but I find it really hard not to get angry when I talk to them because they're so

1) Goddamned stubborn
2) They always think that they're right
3) They don't think out of the box (in my opinion)
4) They're amazingly arrogant

I used to have a rather close INTJ friend with whom I argued with ALL the time. We couldn't agree on a single thing, and we both got frustrated with each other. These days, whenever I start a debate, he'd go "Let's not argue", so in the end there's nothing much to talk about but mundane trivial things. Sucks.

But yeah gotta admire the effort they put into their work. They're pretty efficient people. Wish I wasn't such a slacker.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Good:
- Pithy
- Honest
- Grounded
- Refreshing sense of humor at times

Bad:
- Irascible
- Arrogant
- They seem to think they're "scary" masterminds or something when really I just see a front. You push 'em, they lose their cool pretty quick, and they won't laugh it off. They'll try and make you afraid that their plotting even though they've gone home to sulk about not being as great as they once thought they were.
- Lol cats. Seriously, wtf guys??
- Overly sarcastic and caustic. Just because you don't get it doesn't make it stupid, maybe you don't understand allegory, which would make you the myopic one.

A little venting in this one. Sorry if it seems vengeful.

·
Registered
220 Posts
- they don't think outside the box. If I was the leader and told them which way was up, they would get there first, but never question if it was truly "up" or not.

- misplaced confidence (only some of the time)

- conformists

real cool dudes though. we just must disagree all the time because they are so damn pronounced. its OK because I get my own ideas foolproof though arguing these idiots... haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of my very good friends is an INTJ (probably). At first, I annoyed him because I would question him on everything. Typically, INTJ's tend to think they're right (not unjustified). After I proved him wrong a few times, he started valuing my opinion, and we became quite close. He does seem to get irritated quite easily, though.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Depends on the intj really. I have met some who I got along with very well.

Some others seem to really go overboard with the stereotypical intj image (especially the ones who get into typology and read the descriptions) and become bigger assholes. An intp will typically just share the information. Many intjs have to do it with a side-dish of snarky bullshit that isn't called for at all. That, and the patronizing shit make me see that inside is a very insecure person who only feels better about him/herself after they have (in their mind) one-upped someone. Me, I don't give a shit. If I'm right, I'm right.. if not, who cares. But many intjs seem like they will just fall apart if they happen to a. be wrong, b. admit it.

I really can't stress the patronizing attitude enough. Just because some other people don't need to put that extra energy in, to posture like they are zomg badass masterminds, doesn't make them awkward and incompetent. Being a bitch doesn't make you seem smarter either. You just look like a tryhard, compensating bitch. Have something of actual substance to share sometime, instead of just play dressup in intj stereotypes and posing like a viper always ready to strike. (This is definitely not directed to all intjs. Only some in particular. Most of them are lovely people. - And everyone knows how much I hate generalizations anyway.)

·
Banned
140 Posts
I tend to hate J's as I find that they often are narrow minded and stubborn, that being said, I think INTJs are the ones of the J's I prefer to be around most. And I often learn a lot when I debate with INTJs as they tend to have good and strong arguments.

·
Registered
672 Posts
One of my very good friends is an INTJ (probably). At first, I annoyed him because I would question him on everything. Typically, INTJ's tend to think they're right (not unjustified). After I proved him wrong a few times, he started valuing my opinion, and we became quite close. He does seem to get irritated quite easily, though.
I got off on the wrong foot with a work colleague INTJ, unfortunately a grade higher than me. He accused me of going behind my back on a particular protocol and went absolutely nuts. Once I explained to him why I did what I did (it was research, not action) and that he would have been made aware of any ultimate action I would take, with full logical reasoning behind my "research" he calmed down, and the relationship improved 100 fold from that moment on.

I stopped working closely with him years ago, and he's now retired, but he was an INTJ I really respected. He backed up any opinions I had provided that he understood my reasoning and I could trust him to do the "management" stuff that was out of my control. He had INTP leanings looking back, but his thinking was a bit too organised to be INTP.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My best friend is a INTJ, but the relationship is often strained. He is a very unhealthy INTJ in that he sleeps about every other day for 4 hours and he is a intense germaphobe whereas I'm something of a outdoorsman and I firmly believe that the best way to avoid sickness is to have a healthy immune system, which often puts us at odds.

For instance, four days ago in chemistry when we went and sat at the double desk we always get cause we're always there first there were crumbs on the middle of the table and he points at them and says "Clean those up" as if he's better than me so I picked them up and rubbed them in his hair. He flipped. He started having a panic attack and one he calmed down enough for 'rational' thought he pulled out hand sanitizer from his pocket and started rubbing it into his hair. He was VERY pissed at me and wouldn't talk to me the next day and stopped sleeping altogether for 4 days cause he was getting spider nightmares.

But most of the time we are pretty good friends and me make a pretty excellent team at just about anything and we constantly compete for grades but he usually wins cause I'm too lazy to be attentive about my work and make silly mistakes. I whoop his ass at physics and english though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
- conformists
That's actually one I don't think I've heard before. How come you think this?
Conformist is probably the wrong word. INTJ come across to me as following a proven set of rules, or sticking to a set of rules they have designed. Don't know if there's a word for that.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I think lots of INTPs become INTJs as we age.

I'm about halfway to becoming at INTJ, my perceiving function is about 50%

My ex was an INTP turned J, maybe never a really strong P in the first place but we were very much alike. We could relate on a lot of levels and do away with small talk like others have said, but he certainly wasn't an outside of the box thinker. I didn't really think that I was MUCH of an outside the box thinker until he told me that I was.

He didn't take in as much information as I did but he had more focus, I guess that's the trade-off, really. He wasn't too distracted to get things done.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Conformist is probably the wrong word. INTJ come across to me as following a proven set of rules, or sticking to a set of rules they have designed. Don't know if there's a word for that.
I wouldn't call them conformist because they definitely have their own set of rules and don't care if they aren't understood by others, but maybe restricted. They can have restricted and limited interests.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think lots of INTPs become INTJs as we age.

I'm about halfway to becoming at INTJ, my perceiving function is about 50%

My ex was an INTP turned J, maybe never a really strong P in the first place but we were very much alike. We could relate on a lot of levels and do away with small talk like others have said, but he certainly wasn't an outside of the box thinker. I didn't really think that I was MUCH of an outside the box thinker until he told me that I was.

He didn't take in as much information as I did but he had more focus, I guess that's the trade-off, really. He wasn't too distracted to get things done.
If you believe in the whole MBTI theory, this is impossible, atleast based on the different cognitive functions. You may get more responsible but that has more to do with maturing than MBTI.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts