Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to type my brother and I think he might be an INTJ. What bugs you guys about INTP's? In what ways do you get along with them?

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,383 Posts
Yeah they are messy but I love INTPs. They can be critical, ranty, tell way too much detail (or skip it entirely) and make outrageous assumptions. The other side to that is that they can just shrug it all off walk away and come back and say something so brilliant that you just have to shake your head in wonderment of how the hell they managed to figure it all out. Unpredictable and brilliant.

My mother is INTP and one of the best things she did for me was to just leave me alone to figure out my own problems. She never told me "what is" and she never told me do anything. She simply asked questions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
...My INTP is probably just a tad more organized than I am. xD She's one of my absolute best friends, and it always seems like we're on the same wavelength when friends of other types (especially xxFJs) are running circles around me. She's really smart, quite well-read, I appreciated her humor, and I don't think we argue very often.

The one problem is that she never confronts me when I do something wrong, so I'm uncertain what to do about the problem. =/ My major bit of advice for INTPs is: if your INTJ upsets you, be straightforward about it (honesty doesn't offend us). Don't try to put it on the back burner, because we'll notice that something's wrong, we'll get worried and kind of guilty, but we probably won't bother to ask you directly (out of respect for your privacy) and then things will be kind of awkward.

...Sorry for the little rant, but it's the only major sticking point between me and INTPs. Mostly, I love them. =) I very nearly am one, myself...excepting some very, very obvious INTJ behavior of mine.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Difficult to work with. I cannot handle their haphazard ways, and the focus on the wrong thing. It's maddening to see that talent go to waste.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I do enjoy the cerebral banter of the INTJ/INTP friendship. They are always so much more awkward than us I find and I just want to swoop them up and tickle their bellies.

What I dislike about INTPs is the constant bombardment of information and not giving me time to think about what I want to say. I also find some of them very lazy and unmotivated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think I've pretty much confirmed my brother is an INTJ now. But what about your guys' Fe? Does it seem like that creates conflict at all? Because to be honest it seems like he gets his feelings hurt sometimes when they shouldn't be, and all that does is make me frustrated with him so I just stay away from him while he's "hurt"

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Do you mean Fi?

I do tend to get my feelings hurt a lot more readily by Fe users as opposed to Fi users. In particular when their Fe is not one of the more dominant functions.

Reactions: Staryu

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Difficult to work with. I cannot handle their haphazard ways, and the focus on the wrong thing. It's maddening to see that talent go to waste.
Talented is the last thing I feel around INTJs, except in the intellectual arena because I've found I tend to wipe the floor with INTJs. It's funny because 37% of INTJs are said to be "gifted" as compared with 20% INTPs... and I can believe it. The INTJs I know are way more gifted than my fellow INTPs, for the most part.

What I dislike about INTPs is the constant bombardment of information and not giving me time to think about what I want to say. I also find some of them very lazy and unmotivated.
Can't think on your feet? You should learn. It's really fun.

Laziness is a virtue. I prefer to reserve my energy, all of it, until I absolutely need to use it. I wrote an entire paper in thirty minutes less than twenty minutes ago for a class that starts in 28 minutes. My hair is still wet from the shower, I haven't yet managed to brush my teeth, and I still have to print out everything.

Laziness, Inc. The INTP business.

They're sharp, but not all of their theorizing is fruitful.
Does it have to be fruitful to be worthwhile? I don't believe so. It's fruitful to me, regardless of what it is to everyone else. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Talented is the last thing I feel around INTJs, except in the intellectual arena because I've found I tend to wipe the floor with INTJs.
Exactly. I don't score super high in IQ tests, but I can apply what I have very, very efficiently. I'll take that over the ability to do rote memorization, do fancy stuff with triangles and the other IQ staples any time of the week.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Exactly. I don't score super high in IQ tests, but I can apply what I have very, very efficiently. I'll take that over the ability to do rote memorization, do fancy stuff with triangles and the other IQ staples any time of the week.
Here, here. I tend to score much better on intelligence test minus the patterns with the silly triangles. I just...don't see the point in a lot of the stuff on IQ tests. They aren't life skills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts