Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are getting older, more aches and pains etc, and I'm concerned about them, their quality of life. I'm sure they're okay but I can't help but be concerned. They tell me not to worry so much all the time and to worry about myself. My dad not the best physically (back problems etc), mother is not mentally well. I just want then to be happy. I help them with things and do things with them. I still live with them so... I can look after myself (I'm 24.)

So, is there much I could do or should/shouldn't do?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Your situation goes both ways. You worry about them, they worry about you. What you can do is try to make good decisions in life. Make choices that are productive and help to support your independence and self-sufficiency. Their concerns are going to be about you and how you will fare when they are gone. If you are functional and self-reliant their concerns will be minimal, and that will contribute to their happiness and well being.

Situations with aging parents vary greatly. Health, I believe, is more important than age. Consider getting them out of the house and keeping them active socially and physically. If they need meds you can monitor from afar. They need to take them on schedule for the best results.

You are doing the right thing to be sure, just give them their space while you do your thing. You will learn as you go. Expect to adapt as time passes. Remember to hang on to your own life as you help your folks. There is a limit to what you can do.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think sometimes parents just want us there. In my parent's last years they just wanted us to visit more & I lived 270 miles away. In their last days I made the drive every weekend. I never had kids so in my last days all I want is to make sure my wife is well taken care of after I'm gone if I go first. The world is way more dangerous now than it was when I grew up & it will get worse. When I hear of employees beating on elderly people in retirement homes it makes me want to rip their heads off. People too old to speak or defend themselves. The people taking care of my parents were wonderful. I learned to trust them & they even came to the funerals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts