Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware that there are several threads discussing something like this, but I'd like to take a different approach to analyzing the topic. I'd like to see some examples of how these orientations manifest themselves in thinking and learning.
To start, I'll share some of how I think and learn. If I can better understand which axis I'm using, then I'll likely better understand the other. This seems more Ti/Ne to me, but if you see something else please share. Also, I'd enjoy hearing the thought processes of any other types. It's very enlightening to see how the functions operate from the perspective of the actual 'wielders' of the functions.

Math class is a great example. I need to understand a concept completely (see all the proofs and variations) before I accept/understand it. I want the teacher to demonstrate WHY a concept works and the implications it has on other things that we have learned in the class (is this more Ni or Ti?). I'm typically 'bad' about throwing up all sorts of 'what if?' situations (seems Ne) . Additionally, once a concept is introduced, I can usually guess where the rest of the lecture is going. Then I get very bored because I already know what's going to happen. (seems like Ni) Does this sound more Ti/Ne or Ni/Te to you?

Another example: When arguing philosophical concepts with my friends, discerning Truth is my ultimate goal. Critiquing each other's ideas until reaching a very precise understanding is something I consider very productive (even if we agreed to begin with). I'm always seeking to refine my understanding by bouncing ideas back and forth with someone. Sounds very typical of Ti/Ne to me.

Feedback on my examples and adding your own would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Math class? I don't listen and end up figuring things out for myself. Often ends up with me being able to solve something easily but not being able to provide the mathematical proof for it.

I am a Ni user (At least it would seem so).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ENTPs are sadly renowned for their(OUR) flaw of anticipating what people are going to say next. And then (through misplaced kindness, respect and in the spirit of efficiency) interrupting and answering the unspoken questions. Similar to your anticipation of how the lesson will turn out.
That would suggest Ne/Ti?

People hate us for it, even though it is quite accurate. Even worse when we are wrong.... brrrrr....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
as far as the math class thing goes, I think the statement is true that you either obviously prefer algebra or geometry, usually there's little middle ground.
I am an ENTP, and the reason I don't like math (although I'm good at it) is that I hated the classes of always showing your steps. When I get a concept, it clicks, and therefore I don't need to show my steps to get it right, it's all automatically done, it doesn't even give out steps in my head. Now, I haven't touched geometry in about 5 years, however it was much easier for me for some reason. Maybe it was because it was the opposite. This is also a basis in our joy of arguments. Here's the truth. Let me show you why it is i'm right. See? A 3-page proof of arguments all written down nice and cozy.Some may not see a difference, however that's just the way I think. And I hated depending on calculators for unnecessary steps, DROVE ME NUTS. Ok, you need to graph an equation on 3 planes, fine, do that on your TI-84, but don't tell me you need it to help you factor out the problem to only obtain 4 points. I swear, all i did in pre-cal was chat, and play fall-down on my calculator so I looked like I was doing work.

thaaat was looong.

I guess as far as logic goes, when we have a feeling something is right, we just go along with it (Ne) . So even if we had enough logic behind it and all of the sudden it is changed, it can easily be adapted for the new information. Instead of having to see all the evidence laid out before us before we believe, we just go with the flow, and the Ti takes care of the rest. Whether or not information is complete BS, we can still connect it all to make logical sense. So even if we're wrong, we can convince you it's right.

well, there's my shot at it.
p.s. as far as difference between all that goes, that is why I am in linguistics and not math. I know the basis of language instinctively, but logically can break it down into a great science. Math is something that is usually taught properly, while language is something easily obtained. They all flow together though, when reversed. That's the same logic between me and my friend (who IS a math major) I am Ne/Ti, and she is an INTX.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Math class? I don't listen and end up figuring things out for myself. Often ends up with me being able to solve something easily but not being able to provide the mathematical proof for it.
Same here! It's like somehow I figure out an answer without ever doing the step-by-step thing. Sometimes I am surprised that I get it right without exactly knowing how I did...

I must admit I feel like math is mostly a series of intuitive "a-ha" moments followed by instances of frustration when I remember that I have to show how I arrived at my answers.

This is a bit of a mystery for me.

But the function pairs listed by OP wouldn't fit an INFP anyway, we are supposed to use Te and Ne.

Somehow I think it might be more about Si and Ne for me, something semi-conscious and visual/pattern based (Si) being interpreted by the open-ended intuitive function.

Is it even possible to do math without a T process dominating? Hm.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
I'm aware that there are several threads discussing something like this, but I'd like to take a different approach to analyzing the topic. I'd like to see some examples of how these orientations manifest themselves in thinking and learning.
To start, I'll share some of how I think and learn. If I can better understand which axis I'm using, then I'll likely better understand the other. This seems more Ti/Ne to me, but if you see something else please share. Also, I'd enjoy hearing the thought processes of any other types. It's very enlightening to see how the functions operate from the perspective of the actual 'wielders' of the functions.

Math class is a great example. I need to understand a concept completely (see all the proofs and variations) before I accept/understand it. I want the teacher to demonstrate WHY a concept works and the implications it has on other things that we have learned in the class (is this more Ni or Ti?). I'm typically 'bad' about throwing up all sorts of 'what if?' situations (seems Ne) . Additionally, once a concept is introduced, I can usually guess where the rest of the lecture is going. Then I get very bored because I already know what's going to happen. (seems like Ni) Does this sound more Ti/Ne or Ni/Te to you?

Another example: When arguing philosophical concepts with my friends, discerning Truth is my ultimate goal. Critiquing each other's ideas until reaching a very precise understanding is something I consider very productive (even if we agreed to begin with). I'm always seeking to refine my understanding by bouncing ideas back and forth with someone. Sounds very typical of Ti/Ne to me.

Feedback on my examples and adding your own would be very appreciated!
Are you looking for INTP vs INTJ or anyone who uses those 2 (Ti/Ne or Ni/Te) function groups? Might want to be specific.

Reactions: penchant
1 - 6 of 6 Posts