Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 5w4
I have theories and systems bubbling in my head every day, but can't seem to put my thoughts to one area that can make me decent money.

Must have had a dozen different paths I've taken up in the last 7 or so years where I thought 'I'll do this', get passionate about it only to decide after a while it doesn't suit me.

I'm intelligent and know I have potential for innovation, but I'm in my late 20s and my lack of financial success frustrates me.

Can any 5w4s who are financially successful (or anybody really) shed some light on their experiences?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
What's your MBTI type? I realise they're completely different systems, but there might be something there you can work on as well.

Re: 5w4 making money - I honestly don't know - I'm in the same boat as you - loads of theories and ideas in my head - some of which, I'll write out - but I don't really take action with regards to trying to earn money from them.

If you're anything like me, the best advice I can give is one I need to take on myself - stay focused.

We need to keep our eyes on the ball. Don't be tempted by other ideas.
Realise, when your brain starts to deceive you, and entice you, with alternate possibilities - call them out for the bullshit they are - remember why you really settled on whatever path you're on and shred the new idea apart with every ounce of logic you can muster, and see if it remains intact.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I personally find it easier to have a dual career (two jobs/projects). The aim of one is to maximize income/fund everything (and will be dropped asap). I started that by doing the highest paid work I could find and learning about investments. The other is my 'passion' -- something I chose based on my highest values, something I would still do even if I had all the money in the world. It's a lot of hours of work in the short term but trying to combine passion + money was too hard (I'd be doing neither effectively).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's your MBTI type? I realise they're completely different systems, but there might be something there you can work on as well.

Re: 5w4 making money - I honestly don't know - I'm in the same boat as you - loads of theories and ideas in my head - some of which, I'll write out - but I don't really take action with regards to trying to earn money from them.

If you're anything like me, the best advice I can give is one I need to take on myself - stay focused.

We need to keep our eyes on the ball. Don't be tempted by other ideas.
Realise, when your brain starts to deceive you, and entice you, with alternate possibilities - call them out for the bullshit they are - remember why you really settled on whatever path you're on and shred the new idea apart with every ounce of logic you can muster, and see if it remains intact.
Thanks for the reply
I am an INTP But with a strong feeling function
just like I am a 5w4 with a strong 4 wing? And 4 is in my tritype.

Problem is that 4 wing is always trying to decipher if this is the 'correct' thing for me to do, Ie true to my identity.

I think trying a lot of things is good for a 5, getting out of my head.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally find it easier to have a dual career (two jobs/projects). The aim of one is to maximize income/fund everything (and will be dropped asap). I started that by doing the highest paid work I could find and learning about investments. The other is my 'passion' -- something I chose based on my highest values, something I would still do even if I had all the money in the world. It's a lot of hours of work in the short term but trying to combine passion + money was too hard (I'd be doing neither effectively).
Yes I agree doing a few things is good, having a range of experiences. I currently do the same

I've got a few things going but they are just going slowly, not making the money I'd like to make in either

·
Registered
557 Posts
Problem is that 4 wing is always trying to decipher if this is the 'correct' thing for me to do, Ie true to my identity.
Yeah. I spend ages wondering what I'm "supposed" to be doing as if there was some perfect identity I'm waiting to unravel that would tell me. Gotta be more practical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also a 5w4 and INTP. For me at least, the way to NOT make money is to try to work for myself and design my own projects. Gig economy doesn't work for me because I don't stay motivated and interested enough to keep at it. While I enjoy the things money provides, money isn't a core motivator for me.

I found professional success by getting some normal education and getting a regular job as an employee at a company. For me that was in the Architecture & Design industry, a great fit. I could see 5w4s doing well in any design industry or engineering. Something that requires both research/ specialized knowledge and creativity.

For me, I succeeded greatly when my managers weren't too managing--they let me do my own thing for the most part. That being said, I needed the structure and accountability that employment with firm deadlines and a productivity-tied bonus structure provides. Also, I was extremely unhappy when required to managed junior employees in the same position or spend too much time with clients. I don't mind speaking in front of clients, and enjoy when I'm needed to participate in problem solving. But I hate having to be part of the schmoozing or sales process.

Right now I'm taking a break from my career because of family needs. I'm working on freelance writing, which is MUCH more difficult for the aforementioned reasons. Thankfully my husband is driven and financially successful or we would be in a hard way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts