Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddenly an INTP asked advice how to finally write his book (no idea the subject - doesn't matter).
He assumes he should be able to ... and cannot.

What do you guys know about yourselves that could help him produce?

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Writing a book is hard. It takes a lot of work. The first thing he needs to do is come to terms with the fact that he's not going to be able to knock it out in an afternoon. INTPs tend to start projects very enthusiastically, only to quickly lose interest due to how long it takes to see meaningful results in the physical world.

I've been writing for five hours, how do I only have 8 pages?!

·
Registered
INTP
7,072 Posts
He just needs to do it on impulse.

Also it would be good if he has no prior engagements like school or a job or whatever. So basically he needs a holiday or something, and non-stop free time to become a proper hermit for the duration of its completion.

I did this over the winter break at my uni. Went travelling for a month then came back and still had a month left. There was no-one around and nothing to do. I discovered some programming software, then 3 weeks later I'd made two computer games. It was a total obsession and definitely was only possible because I had an end-to-end chunk of absolutely free time. Nothing got in the way, other than sleep, showers and food. I still had a few friends around but I'd often reject their invites to do stuff, because the game projects became my obsession.

Definitely I only got into this state of mind because I had total free time at my disposal. If, for example, the class semester restarted, I would have put the games on hold and never got back round to them.

The answer is - lots of free time and no commitments at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.