Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lazy, I admit it... I've noticed that it takes me a long time to jump into something and a long time to jump out too, but I usually master that thing while I'm in there. I suspect we might be the same so I would like to get some tips and learn how do most of you break out of the procrastination and take action sooner?

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you want to accomplish things you should just really try to put your mind into it. Well of course I'm not taking my own advice... Maybe you should ask this in another type. One that's more focused.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
It's one of those things that you just have to do... kind of like getting up in the morning when your alarm goes off. (i.e., either you choose to get out of bed when the alarm goes off, before you fall asleep; or you cheat and lay there "just for another minute" and then typically wake up 45 minutes and scramble to get to where you need to be.)

There might be tricks to making yourself not procrastinate (just like there are tricks to forcing yourself to get up, like putting your clock on the other side of the room), but first and foremost it takes a desire to not procrastinate.

Basically, some of those tricks might entail

- keeping a calendar of important dates, and then sticking to it -- the roadmarks to the journey of completion. For example, instead of just saying, "I don't want to procrastinate on this paper," you could say, "I need to have an outline done by this date; a rough draft by this date; a review and fix by this date; and a finished draft by this date." Breaking it up into smaller tasks helps you pace yourself better and make steadier progress.

- inform someone you trust of your need to not procrastinate on a task, and they can help remind you in case you slip behind.

- remind yourself of good reasons why you don't want to procrastinate and how hellish your life becomes when you are procrastinating -- remembering the discomfort associated with procrastination might help motivate you to avoid it.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I'm lazy, I admit it... I've noticed that it takes me a long time to jump into something and a long time to jump out too, but I usually master that thing while I'm in there. I suspect we might be the same so I would like to get some tips and learn how do most of you break out of the procrastination and take action sooner?
One thing that works for me is writing down the things I want/need to do. I just have to remember to keep referring to the list. As an intuitive perceiver, one of my biggest problems is not often being in the present moment and forgetting the things that need to get done.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I think there's some really good advice in these posts. But for me, I think of it like this:

1.) INTPs are supposed to be, and claim to be, logical.
2.) Procrastination yields negative consequences, sometimes serious ones.
3.) This is illogical, and the illogicality of this outweighs the pathetic attempts at rationalization that INTPs tend to make.
4.) Since procrastination is illogical, then
5.) INTPs should stop doing it.

Also, don't spend too much time thinking about it--go against the grain of impulse and just "do it." The more times you conquer procrastination, the easier it becomes to do so in the future. I practically never procrastinate now, and the benefits yielded by this change are very well worth it. I speak from practical, personal experience, not with some far-out speculation.

The advice offered by "username" might be the most helpful of all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not seeing yourself as an eternal victim might help, as well. Getting out of the whole victim mindset really helps with stuff like that. But it would probably require some professional help.
A deeper thought for sure...I'll think about that one. I think I just lost sight of the positive that kept me motivated. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
450 Posts
First, you hire an ENTJ overlord and supply said overlord with instructions and a whip.

I can be incredibly lazy with most stuff in life and really its a matter of "herding the mind". I think of the end result and how much I will enjoy getting this or that done and not having to worry about it.

Reactions: Ista and Entropic

·
Registered
245 Posts
To me it's as simple as getting off your ass and doing what you want to do. I'm only lazy towards other peoples wishes, like if someone told me to do something for them I may be slow to act, if it's of my own initiative then I just do it. I know some people are thinking "Well isn't that called being selfish?" I just simply think of it as a nonconformism habit, because I WILL do for others if it is necessary, and not entirely arbitrary, however if someone is commanding me to do a deed I'd be pretty reluctant to do so. So by that I'd created the motto; "I'm not lazy, just not motivated to do what you want me to do."

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Go lock yourself away in a study prison. No freedom until you're done. Maybe next time you will do it earlier and avoid this fate.... or not :)

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd say just push through and do it, but of course, easier said than done. We all know that. My only mode is procrastination. I've read more articles and blogs and threads about stopping procrastination than I've actually had times where I didn't procrastinate. I think as an INTP, we're content to just think about doing something and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
;) If you're looking for more reading / discussion / thinking on:

Procrastination, Efficiencies and Sensing / Thinking Gap

I am now convinced that procrastination is based on the fixation on finding efficiencies in the external world and that this desire for efficiency is largely due to Si and Se being less used /preferred functions.

There is a gap between making the transition between thoughts into sensation. Sensation, in a way, seems like a poor translation for theoretical forms of efficiencies, as least as far as thinking mode is concerned. This is a bit of an extension on the J functions that are usually discussed in relation to this.

Related INTP threads:

Basically I think it just means doing it and finding some hot buttons that work for you. (You'll know them when you see them.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts