Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand individuals channel and show their anger in different ways but I'm assuming it may be similar for people of the same type. For example, I am an ESFJ and if someone pisses me off, I will generally act passive aggressively and make them feel left out or guilty because in my mind I need to teach them a lesson (not surprised why people on here can dislike ESFJs LOL)... but ANYWAYS, How about you guys?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I am clear about my anger, the reason for it, and try to figure out with people how we can fix whatever problem we are having so that we can get along better.

This is not a type thing, it's a confidence thing. You aren't confident enough to express your anger without being passive aggressive, which is cowardly.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My sister says I fire "venom tipped arrows". Usually I deal with it directly, verbally, physically, or otherwise, and I'm extremely bad at backing down from a fight until I bury the opposition which isn't anywhere near as badass as it feels to type because it's gotten me into trouble before and can honestly feel pretty childish once I realize that I just made someone start crying because they made a snide comment towards me that I just as easily could have made at someone else. That's not to say that I'm generally mean to other people, I'm not and have been complimented on being the opposite, but I think my wrath is potentially the interpersonal equivalent of bombing all of a nation's major industrial centers, razing and salting their fields and setting up a puppet government because they decided to vandalize one of your nation's public buildings. Eventually, I'm at risk of looking like the bad guy regardless of who started it.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I sometimes act passive aggressively. I knew a boy who was just terrible. He acted unkindly to me, and he acted unkindly to others. But I wasn't about to be openly hostile to him. I just stopped paying attention to him. I would literally smile, laugh, and engage in a friendly manner to every single person but him. This was noticeable because my personality in general is openly friendly; I smile at even strangers, I am always holding open doors and such for people. When I stopped doing that to him, he noticed. He started being very complimentary towards me, and he didn't clean up his act entirely at all, but he was a bit more considerate towards me.

In general though, I submerge my anger. If you are just being extremely insensitive and ignorant I might shoot you a scathing look or very occasional snide remark, but generally I just act kindly towards you because I know you're a great, wonderful person even if I can't see it and it really isn't right for me to cloud your life with my dislike of you when the real problem is within me.

But if you're just... targeting me and being unfair to me and I know you personally... I can get angry. I rant when I'm mad at my mom. I only got a call home from school once, and it was when my teacher was just being so incredibly stupid and inconsistent and half the class was suffering for it so I just burst out and let her know the truth of the situation and how unfairly she was affecting us. I vent sometimes. I can be a little physical too. When my cousin tried to practice his new karate moves on me, I charged him with a chair. We were four. (And I think I proved my physical ability superior to his :p)

But, yeah... Usually I keep my anger under control or just all out rant, but occasionally I can act passive aggressively or physically react.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally avoid anger at all costs. I can't handle anyone else's anger, much less my own. I can't think straight when I'm angry and I just don't like the feeling.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I try to be as preventive as possible. I do believe that there's "healthy" anger (being angry over serious offenses toward you or loved ones, angry at injustices in the world, etc.) and unhealthy anger (the typical anger). I associate indulgences in unhealthy anger with being unintelligent or lacking self-control, and I don't want to be that sort of person. That association usually allows me to stay pretty calm.

If I do happen to slip into anger, I usually shut down toward other people. If I'm just irritated, I might be ranting. If I'm really angry, I'm silent. I retreat into my head and contemplate the offenses -- or whatever it was that made me angry. I don't consider this healthy, especially for my type. If I have the privilege of being alone with my feelings/thoughts, I usually get them out by crying (I used to avoid crying, but I've found it to be the best release. Science can back me up on that one).

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
When I'm angry or upset I distract myself by doing something I know and love, like riffing on my guitar or playing video games. I generally don't get angry since I have a very long fuse, but when I do I don't show these feelings outwardly so I need some other way to vent things.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here are the types I've seen angry:
INFP-- bottle up or ignore tremendous amounts of anger, and then suddenly unleash it on whatever or whoever is around in the wrong place at the wrong time. The INFPs I know tend to make big issues out of minor things, like "no one helps me do the dishes", and they can get really enraged about it. But then after they've calmed down, they'll start crying and tell you how stressed they've been and how the dishes thing was the straw that broke the camel's back, and then they'll make all sorts of resolutions for self-improvement.

ISFJ-- get really huffy and quiet and passive-aggressive when they think no one is listening to them. They'll start to yell at you-- but then they'll stop and just clam up and turn passive-aggressive. They'll fume silently in a corner for awhile and start blaming people for all sorts of things. At this point there's no point in trying to please them anymore so the best course of action is to just wait it out and give them space.

ISFP-- clam up and brush people off, then go rant to someone they trust. The rant is mostly muttering and vague noncommittal threats of homicide. Sometimes they go write songs about how mean other people are or how lonely they feel. Then, when they go back and face the people who made them mad again, they act really superior and holier-than-thou. ISFPs hold grudges and rarely resolve them.

ESFP-- get mad because no one is paying attention to them, and then behave really melodramatically. When they're really pissed, they really blow up. Everything ESFPs do is theatrical.

ISTJ-- rarely experience enough anger that they feel the need to express it. Occasionally tell their problems to a single trusted companion. Drown their sorrows in activities like repetitive physical labor, alcohol, books on tape, and educational television. No one in my entire family has ever seen my ISTJ father blow up at anyone ever, except once-- and that was because the county medical examiner refused to release the body of a Native American man whose family refused an autopsy on religious grounds. The medical examiner was getting paid on a per-body basis and his behavior was unconstitutional. My dad yelled at this man. That's the only time he's ever yelled at anyone.

INTP-- ignore their anger until they can't ignore it any longer and it turns into this all-consuming roller coaster of self-destruction. They channel it into weird projects and end up staying up way too late. Then they crash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts