Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is yet another rant. You may be thinking "Hey, other people have problems worse than that, you little teenager noob child!!!" or whatever. But...

Basically, I have a lot of stuff on my hands. I've managed to get into all honors classes, I run for a track team every day after school, I've taken up four dance classes (Beginner Ballet, Intermediate/Adv Tap, Intermediate Jazz, and Beginner Theatre... Well, you probably don't care because I'm rambling like a wind-up toy......) and apparently my instructor wants to move me up a level for two of them but try them BOTH AT ONCE first, meaning I will have 6 classes for a while, I'm in the gifted program, I babysit regularly for a family nearby, I do guitar, I have a job this winter at a toy store nearby... Well, you know. I have a lot of stuff on my hands.

I feel like I'm falling apart. How does one... Get their life together?! I seem to lack the ability to prioritize! My grades are all 90%s and up right now, but I'm afraid to fail. Drop some activities? Learn to manage time? HOW DO YOU PRIORITIZE?

Also, I basically don't have good time management. Sometimes my homework and getting ready for track or dance takes me longer because I usually get sidetracked by my own thoughts. How do you organize and stuff? How can I manage all of this without spiraling into a tunnel of epic fail at everything because of stress and stuff? ASDSJALAPAHGS!!!

Well, is there any way I can improve this because this is not going to fly when I have AP courses later in high school. GAH this is so frustrating and blargh can anyone hear me out or anything?

·
Banned
174 Posts
You're doing great right now.

When I was in high school, I was in a similar situation to yours. I did tons of work and got straight As but I was disorganized with everything, and started going off in my own tangents, etc. In senior year I hit senioritis and my grades dropped dramatically, though I was safe because I knew I was going to get into the uni I wanted to anyway (albeit with some dreadful uncertainty).

What year are you in? Did you apply to uni yet? Do you have conditional/unconditional offers (are you applying in the UK/North America/elsewhere)? Try to keep it together. If you really can't find a way to become disciplined in organization (I'm still figuring it out right now), then find a way to love and enjoy everything you do such that it doesn't stress you. Why should work stress you if work is play, right?

Sorry I couldn't be much help, I feel your pain and was in a similar situation and still kind of am. But I think a good place to start is in making schedules with all our planned activities, then to execute them vigorously without fail, and still to enjoy them somehow..

If I think of more I'll post here.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
Into unfamiliar ENFP territory...
Oof, I need help with this, too. (I'm in a similar situation) :bored:
Thanks for posting this thread
as for advice... um... I tend to think school first, job next, activities after... maybe not, wait, they're all important... Sorry, I'm not much help...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're doing great right now.

When I was in high school, I was in a similar situation to yours. I did tons of work and got straight As but I was disorganized with everything, and started going off in my own tangents, etc. In senior year I hit senioritis and my grades dropped dramatically, though I was safe because I knew I was going to get into the uni I wanted to anyway (albeit with some dreadful uncertainty).

What year are you in? Did you apply to uni yet? Do you have conditional/unconditional offers (are you applying in the UK/North America/elsewhere)? Try to keep it together. If you really can't find a way to become disciplined in organization (I'm still figuring it out right now), then find a way to love and enjoy everything you do such that it doesn't stress you. Why should work stress you if work is play, right?

Sorry I couldn't be much help, I feel your pain and was in a similar situation and still kind of am. But I think a good place to start is in making schedules with all our planned activities, then to execute them vigorously without fail, and still to enjoy them somehow..

If I think of more I'll post here.
Well, I'm still a little underclassman; for the sake of privacy I won't say exactly what grade... But I haven't been applying to anything yet. But thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think ENFPs are most productive when they have a lot going on because they have the variety and can jump from whatever productive thing to another and back when they get bored. I find as soon as I have too much unstructured time, my attention loses any structure, I stopped being involved in things, and everything goes to pieces. But yeah, it's a delicate balance and at some point too much is too much. For starters, put yourself and your goals first and go through your list of activities asking yourself "how necessary is it that I _______?" "How does it help me get to where I want to be?" Think objectively, because yes, it might be tempting to help out our neighbors and love the kids, but maybe it's something to be saved for the summer. Just focus, drag out the Te, and go into assessing what works/is important and not, then go back to Ne for problem-solving :) As for prioritizing and managing time, decide what you want (a certain GPA, whatever) and just ask yourself when you need to - is this helping me get to X? It's a pain but useful

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
First off, if you are taking too long to get ready, prepare your stuff the night before. Set a timer and only give yourself a certain amount of time to do everything. Make a list of the things you need to do to be prepared. For example, 1. Brush teeth 2. Get into dance costume 3. Grab water and snack. Pretty simple eh?

I think you need to prioritise. You mentioned having a GPA of 4.0 a while ago. Don't you want to maintain that? I'm guessing its the most important thing. I think you can keep doing your other activities, but maybe consider cutting out the babysitting if you are short on time. Do you have enough money without it? I think the most important thing for your age group is to get an education, so don't let yourself get distracted by too many activities, friend drama, boys etc. there's plenty of time for all that when you're finished. It sounds like your doing just fine at the moment.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I don't think you need to worry at all. I think it's perfectly normal at your age (not that i'm a huge amount older) to find it difficult to manage your life. The answer is pretty simple really- practice. What you are going through right now will be what will equip you in adult life to have your life sorted out. The whole point of teenagehood, in my opinion, is to make mistakes and get things wrong- it's in this way that a person learns how not to make the same errors once they're older.

In fact, you sound like you're doing pretty great, you have a lot going on, i'm a little jealous :p i never had that amount on my plate as a teen, that'll really serve you well for the future.

Just do your best and don't over analyse, just do what you think is best in the moment, and you'll have no such worries when you're older because you'll know from experience how to do all of those things better.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Make a lot of lists. Leave yourself a lot of notes in REALLY visible places. Be sure you get plenty of sleep and eat healthy food (I assume exercise is covered with all those dance classes). Learn to center yourself and breathe calmly in the middle of chaos. Every once in a while, be still for just long enough for the whirling particles of activity to settle and the water of your life to clear for a moment, then you can make out some priorities. Take that moment whenever you need to. Remember to ask people for help with things when you really should, - asking for help can be really hard, but, sometimes it is necessary. (Of course, remember to thank them profusely, too!) Try not to do things just because you think you 'should', and whatever you become involved in, be sure learn something about others or about yourself. (It never hurts to quiz yourself. Periodically ask, "What have I learned from this experience?") Anyway, just my cheap 2 cents. :happy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts