Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all of my four (supposed) functions, Fi-Se-Ni-Te, I cannot comprehend how I would go about incorporating my Te. I know it's unlikely for it to be used by itself, and I'm very aware of when I do try to use it by itself, but what would it look like if in these combinations?

Fi-Te
Se-Te
Ni-Te
??

Help me understand inferior Te. :blushed:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Suggestive (inferior) Te according to socionics:

The individual is attracted to people seen as knowledgeable, as well as truthful and willing to share that knowledge, in matters seen as interesting and useful to the individual towards achieving productivity and efficiency. Reliable information rather than the finished analysis is what attracts the individual; facts and explanations, not answers limited to the conclusions. For the same reason, the individual avoids people who are inclined to give out unreliable or simply untruthful information. The individual tends to neglect to think about the productivity of his actions and unconsciously relies on others to give him directions and advice about the best, most productive ways of doing things. He has difficulties measuring how much work he has done, whether it is sufficient, and how much it is actually worth. The individual admires people who are aware of the productivity of their actions and are always trying to do something rational and worthwhile. - See more at: Socionics Information Elements: Te
ESIs are commonly unconfident about their ability to gather and apply new information related to their life conditions or productive efforts. They may be unsure about how to go about critically evaluating the veracity of the information they come across, instead seeking explanations and additional information from others. They are often unaware of and not inclined to think in terms of the best or most efficient way of getting something done, and may have difficulty conceptualizing what schedule, activity, or methodology they should follow in order to best meet their goals. They may have problems evaluating whether they have done enough on a particular task or whether their work was effective.

ESIs are typically practically minded, and may tend to prefer explanations based in everyday common sense rather than extensive theory. They may also see little point in any endeavor that cannot be applied to their well-being in some way. They are often deeply invested in learning interesting or useful skills or concepts that may assist them in their daily life. They can sometimes dedicate themselves to improving themselves in this way very industriously, but they may be simultaneously unsure in what ways they should apply themselves; they may have difficulty discriminating between those ventures that are effective and those that are not, sometimes leading them into questionable methodological practices, e.g. alternative medicines. ESIs may feel deeply hindered and unsettled by the various tasks that they don't know how to do or areas they are unskilled at.

ESIs are commonly emotionally and factually straightforward in conversation, and may prefer interacting with individuals equally blunt. They may appreciate attention to accuracy and specificity of information in others, seeing these qualities as signs of a trustworthy and reliable acquaintance. In general, ESIs may prefer a communication style that may seem robotic and inexpressive to others, but in reality emphasizes internal feelings and unhindered transfer of information. ESIs are commonly unconfident about their ability to gather and apply new information related to their life conditions or productive efforts. They may be unsure about how to go about critically evaluating the veracity of the information they come across, instead seeking explanations and additional information from others. They are often unaware of and not inclined to think in terms of the best or most efficient way of getting something done, and may have difficulty conceptualizing what schedule, activity, or methodology they should follow in order to best meet their goals. They may have problems evaluating whether they have done enough on a particular task or whether their work was effective. - See more at: Socionics Types: ESI-ISFj
These descriptions may not give a whole lot of what you're asking for, but they do seem to imply some ways Te may compliment other functions.

...in matters seen as interesting and useful to the individual...
They are often unaware of and not inclined to think in terms of the best or most efficient way of getting something done, and may have difficulty conceptualizing what schedule, activity, or methodology they should follow in order to best meet their goals.
That may suggest that Te doesn't necessarily define the goals or interests for the IxFP, more the methodology of achieving those goals. So the IxFP may use Te to meet the goals of other functions such as Fi or Se. Maybe you want to know the fastest way to pay off your loans so you can be free to indulge in whatever Fi or Se wants without having to worry so much about money.

ESIs are typically practically minded, and may tend to prefer explanations based in everyday common sense rather than extensive theory. They may also see little point in any endeavor that cannot be applied to their well-being in some way.
Se-Te: Everyday common sense explanations; Knowledge that can be applied to their lives and is useful to them
Fi-Te: Applying knowledge or methodology to improve their well-being or personal happiness (ex. Fixing a problem that has been a source of stress and frustration)

ESIs are commonly emotionally and factually straightforward in conversation, and may prefer interacting with individuals equally blunt. They may appreciate attention to accuracy and specificity of information in others, seeing these qualities as signs of a trustworthy and reliable acquaintance. In general, ESIs may prefer a communication style that may seem robotic and inexpressive to others, but in reality emphasizes internal feelings and unhindered transfer of information.
Fi-Te: Conveying straightforward information about internal feelings in order to improve a relationship

Ever had a conversation like this?

A: It bothers me when you do X. It makes me feel (insert feelings here) and that's not really fair.
B: Why are you being so mean? :( :( :(
A: What? o_O I'm not being mean, I'm just pointing out something that's been bothering me so we can improve our relationship and get along better.

Fi-Te needs bluntness and honest sharing of internal feelings because they value the quality of the relationship more than a "happy", conflict-free interaction, but not everyone understands or values this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just in case you haven't seen it, this post is very interesting.
If it is not developed, Ni-Te would be about making wrong assumptions and being overly judgemental. Using NiTe, in a supposedly healthy way, means judging your perceptions instead of external ideas.
If you mean that you want to, somehow, learn how to use it, maybe this can help: MBTI: Experiencing Different Function-Attitudes.

It's also important to notice that the auxiliary function may not be used much, and the almost exclusive use of a dominant function may cause a few problems.

I'd say, though, that it isn't exactly possible to develop or learn to use functions, what you can do is to stay aware of the weaknesses and make conscious efforts to achieve some kind of balance.
I'm not sure I understood what you meant, but let's see if any of this can help.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just in case you haven't seen it, this post is very interesting.
If it is not developed, Ni-Te would be about making wrong assumptions and being overly judgemental. Using NiTe, in a supposed healthy way, means judging your perceptions instead of external ideas.
If you mean that you want to, somehow, learn how to use it, maybe this can help: MBTI: Experiencing Different Function-Attitudes.

It's also important to notice that the auxiliary function may not be used much, and the almost exclusive use of a dominant function may cause a few problems.

I'd say, though, that it isn't exactly possible to develop or learn to use functions, what you can do is to stay aware of the weaknesses and make conscious efforts to achieve some kind of balance.
I'm not sure I understood what you meant, but let's see if any of this can help.
Damn, I read through all of it and it was really insightful. Thanks! I'll comment a bit more on it later.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Damn, I read through all of it and it was really insightful. Thanks! I'll comment a bit more on it later.
It's quite a lot to read, but I'm glad you found it interesting.

If it appeals to you, you can find a few activities similar to those at Experiencing Different Function-Attitudes, at How can I develop myself?.

I've mentioned the development of the auxiliary function, here you can find a bit about it for your type. Here they have the links to a similar text for each type. In each profile they have a list of "specific suggestions" for the development of the functions and personal growth, that are not as specific as it suggests. It can be helpful to take a look at those lists and see if you recognize any of these issues in yourself, a few suggestions can be quite useful, regardless of personality type.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
It manifests as the lack of common sense and clear thinking in situations in favor of a personal identity affirming need or idea. Inferior Te can manifest in situations such as quitting a job with no back up plan for the perceived abuse you were met with, or avoiding overly straightforward advice despite it being valid and useful due to the delivery being less than pleasant.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
The Extraverted Thinking of the Introverted Feeling Type by Marie Louise Von Franz

The introverted feeling type mainly adapts to life by feeling, but more in an introverted way, that is, mainly toward the orientation of the subject with a differentiated scale of evaluation. This type is very difficult to understand. Jung says that the saying “Still waters run deep” applies to people of this type. They have the same reactions of a very differentiated scale of value, but unlike the extravert, they do not express them outwardly, but are affected by them within. You often find introverted feeling types in the background where important and valuable events or setups are taking place, just as if their introverted feeling has told them that that setup was really important and was the real thing. With a kind of silent loyalty and without any outside explanation, they turn up in places where important and valuable inner facts, archetypal constellations, are to be found. With inconspicuous constancy they will stick, for instance, to important archetypal ideas, and they generally exert a positive secret influence on their surroundings by setting standards. The others observe them and, though they say nothing, for they are much too introverted to express themselves much, they set certain standards because they have them within themselves. Introverted feeling types, for instance, very often form the secret ethical backbone of a group, for without irritating the others with moral or ethical precepts, they themselves have such right standards of ethical values that they secretly emanate a positive influence on those around. one has to behave correctly because they have that kind of right value standard, or good taste, which always suggestively forces one to be decent if they are present, and that is because their differentiated introverted feeling sees what is inwardly the really important factor.

The thinking of this type is extraverted, flowing toward the outer object. In amazing contrast to their silent and inconspicuous outer appearance, the introverted feeling types are therefore generally interested in an immense number of outer facts. In their conscious personality they do not move about much, but sit in their badger’s hole, while their extraverted thinking, their more unconscious mind, roams about among an extraordinary amount of outer facts. They read, for example, about the most unexpected things: the natural sciences and God knows what. They are interested in practically all outer facts of life, but this is a kind of hidden interest, whereas wiht the extraverted thinking types, that would be right in the foreground of their interests. If introverted feeling types want to use their extraverted thinking in a creative way, they have the usual extravert’s difficulty of being overwhelmed by too much material, too many references, and too many facts, so their inferior extraverted thinking sometimes just gets lost in a morass of single outer objective references and facts through which they can no longer find their way. The inferiority of their extraverted thinking very often expresses itself in a certain monomanic way, in that they have only one or two thoughts with which they race through a tremendous amount of material. This is very obvious and is why Jung characterizes the Freudian system as a typical example of extraverted thinking.

Jung has never said anything about Freud’s type as a human being; he has only said in many of his books that Freud’s system represents extraverted thinking, so what I add now is my personal conviction, namely that Freud was an introverted feeling type and that therefore his writings bear the characteristics of his inferior extraverted thinking. There you typically have the fact that the basic ideas are few and that they are raced through, and that the writer has beaten through an enormous amount of outer material and is completely oriented toward the outer object, so that a rather poor biological outer setup of facts is connected with the basis of his thoughts. If you read biographical notes about Freud, you see that as a person he had a most differentiated way of treating people. He was an excellent analyst and had a very differentiated way of treating his patients. He had also a kind of hidden gentlemanliness which had a positive influence upon his patients and in general upon his surroundings. One must really in his case make a distinction between his theory and his personality as a human being. I think, from what one hears about him, that he belonged to the introverted feeling type.

The advantage of inferior extraverted thinking is what I now characterize negatively as racing with a few ideas through a tremendous amount of material. (Freud himself complained that his dream interpretation felt awfully monotonous--the same interpretation of every dream was boring even to him.) If this is not overdone, and if the introverted feeling type is aware of the danger of his inferior function and keeps a check on it, it has the great advantage of being simple, clear, and intelligible. It has a few comprehensive thoughts which have a kind of obviousness, in a positive sense of the word. But this is not enough, and the introverted feeling type is obliged to drill a bit deeper and try to specify and differentiate his extraverted thinking, if he does not wish at some time to fall into the trap of this kind of monomania of ideas. Therefore he has to specify his thinking, that is, make the hypothesis that each fact he cites in proof of his ideas illustrates them with a slightly differentiated slant, and with this object in view, his idea should be reformulated each time. In that way he keeps up the living process of contact between thought and fact instead of just imposing his thought upon facts. Inferior extraverted thinking has just the same negative tendencies to being tyrannical, stiff, and unmolded, and in that way not quite adapted to its own object, that all inferior functions have.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Te in IxFPs serves the Fi which is first, which basically means that for us, the work gets most and best done when we're actually motivated to do it. The execution (Te) has to come from the sincere motivation (Fi) to do it (otherwise an IxFP might go on for a long time not doing anything)

Reactions: ReliK and L P

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,585 Posts
IxFP: ''I'm broke and I'm about to get evicted soon because I can't pay the bills!''

Friend: ''I have a job for you as a salesman, you'd be making wicked money in no time''

IxFP: ''And become some suit and tie wearing sheep working for the man whilst the government robs me of half my money on every paycheck?? LOL, no thanks!''

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
IxFP: ''I'm broke and I'm about to get evicted soon because I can't pay the bills!''

Friend: ''I have a job for you as a salesman, you'd be making wicked money in no time''

IxFP: ''And become some suit and tie wearing sheep working for the man whilst the government robs me of half my money on every paycheck?? LOL, no thanks!''
That was always also my state on working in sales too :D I have chosen blue collar dirty work over sales at same company for job. Not struggling to pay bills though.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Generally, inferior Te manifests as difficulty formulating concrete goals and actions, insecurity about your place in the world and difficulty coming into action.
Some Fi-dominants show some of these traits more than others and I've seen cases where people just lie to themselves about how they function (Fi-dominants are also masters of lying to themselves about how they function, rather going by what they find important).
There's individual differences too, based on upbringing and environment for example.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,787 Posts
In my experience with inferior Te people (INFPs mostly, but also some ISFPs) I can say I've noticed a number of things about them:

1. They tend to ignore objective facts, like statistics and prefer personal emotional stories, as a factor in their decision making. This means that if you want to convince them don't tell them that 1000 people die in car accidents every year, tell them the story of one baby who died in a car accident.
2. They have a love-hate relationship with ideas like authority and power. On one hand they tend to reject them and have a more egalitarian outlook, on the other hand they might support systems which are centralised and hierarchical in order to enforce this equality.
3. They reject standardisation and homogeneity. These are elements Te uses to make things more effective, to streamline systems. Inferior Te however rejects them in favour of Fi uniqueness and a feeling of being special. Feelings are more important than productivity.
4. They can use Te in a productive and effective manner in their everyday jobs. Te being an inferior function, it manifests itself as a combination of critical weakness and ace in the hole (in certain situations). This is something all inferior functions do, they are weaknesses for the most part, but from time to time they transform into effective tools. Inferior Te may manifest itself as a good organisational skill, especially for administrative/repetitive tasks or jobs.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Spend all day avoiding responsibility then right before the deadline you get into a stress inducing frenzy of productivity to get it done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I find that inferior Te tends to express itself in a dislike of being a leader. inf-Te are followers, or perhaps to put a positive spin on it, a go-with-the-flow kind of person. They hate making executive decisions, or taking responsibility. Even in matters such as ‘Where should we eat tonight?’ The usual answer is ‘I dunno, I’m up for anything.’ inf Te is open to any suggestion on ‘Let’s do X today’, but wont suggest anything themselves. Wont initiate anything. They have a deep-seated finely polished revulsive hatred (sorry, I dont think the word ‘hate’ alone is strong enough, and I still think my string of adjectives is lacking to describe the sheer despise-ness that they have for leaders, politicians, bosses, or anyone in authority, and will similarly avoid such positions, unless they find themselves trapped in one, and will then become a very unhappy Fi dom indeed, unless they are self-sacrificing for someone they love (ie I have to feed my kid). Also not to mention their deep distrust of systems and red tape. Taxes is hell for inf Te. It is hell. I’ve never heard so much expletives as from a dom Fi doing their taxes. Also prefers to get their information from living people, and hates the term ‘just google it’. Doesnt trust google. Course I’m using the word ‘hate’ a lot, but with dom Fi there’s nothing quite like the depth of emotion they feel when they dislike something, but can only be barely described as finely polished hatred.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
I don't know if this is true for Te inferior, but among Fi doms, I see it as a refusal to stick up for one's self, and an avoidance of arguments or discord of any type. I have noticed that while they are able to grasp systems and frameworks for understanding information, they typically shy away from them.

I know one Fi dom - at least I think that's what he is - who is a genius at systems, though. He just has to be interested in them to be really good at them (but I think that's the same for anyone). I'm talking like a genius at music theory completely self-taught and a genius for applying a complex set of rules to other areas as well. Perhaps this isn't a Te thing, though. I don't know.

The passivity and distaste for so-called "confrontation" of any kind I find particularly irritating given that the one way to ensure argument/discord will grow is to not deal with it immediately. I don't even quite understand what they mean when they say that they're not confrontational. I mean how do you get through life with a paralysing fear of confronting anything life throws at you?

Fi types tend to value authenticity and honesty which is great but isn't the avoidance of anything that might create dissonance a sort of intellectual dishonesty?

Reactions: L P
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.