Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ISFP
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I were to take a cognitive function test, theoretically would my inferior function Fe be the least used of the eight? Or would it be fourth with the other functions following?

As I understand it, our inferior function manifests as our biggest weakness and is the one we feel a particular yearning to correct about ourselves. It is the direct opposite of our dominant function, so theoretically, shouldn't it be the one function we have the most difficulty understanding, because it is the one most different from ourselves? However, we still feel comfortable enough with its use to rank it above at least four of the other eight functions, correct? Is this not somewhat of a contradiction?

I am an introvert, so my inferior function is extroverted. I can say pretty confidently that my three least used functions of the eight are Se, Te, and Fe. (I have jumped between INFJ and INFP as well as INTP in the past, which have these functions as inferior, respectively). And of these three functions, I can say with just as much certainty that I recognize my Fe use the most. (Not enough to be INFJ, obviously. I didn't include Ne because I am fully comfortable with its use). So, since Fe is my second-used extroverted function, and I am an introvert, I must therefore be Fe inferior. And, although I am able to acknowledge my inadequate use of Se or Te on occasion, I know for a fact that it's my poor Fe that I care most about improving. Is this correct reasoning in determining which function is my inferior function? (I am just using myself as an example to clarify my understanding of the inferior function. I am not asking for people to retype me). Please include as much information as you wish. Do not feel limited to my questions. The more material I receive, the better my understanding.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Theoretically function tests would give you results that matched up with a specific type. But extremely often we see a person who gets a very high Fi and as very high Ti with relatively low Te and Fe on a test. Then the test will estimate and say "most likely INFP" based on the same difference in points. The point I make here is the same I have made many times before, cognitive functions tests are not necessarily better than regular tests, just because it says "most likely this type" on a cf test does not mean it is more true than "most likely this type" on a regular test. In the example I mentioned, that basically could be roughly translated to say being INxP with a slight lean to F. This is not more confident than getting 53% F vs 47% T even though it's a different type of test. From other people's results, they tend to get moderate scores on pretty much anything, so I am not sure how useful these tests are other than another starting point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts