Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Different people think differently, and also remember differently. How does your memory work? e.g. mine is like a filing cabinet. If I know what I'm looking for, it's easily retrieved, but if I only have a vague idea of what I want, then I'll come up blank. It's great for remembering facts, but disadvantageous whenever I'm asked a question with a very non-specific answer (e.g. "What's an experience that changed your world view?" and other essay-type questions).

So how does your memory work?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Definitely not like a filing cabinet .. Or maybe it is like a filing cabinet—one I don't know how to open. :unsure::tongue:

But seriously, (being that I don't know my type and I am curious about these things and if they are even type related at all) if you have to recall what is in your fridge, how do you do that? I mentally go and look around inside the fridge. Do you do that, too?

Another question: I'm learning a foreign language and over the weekend, while at the gas station, I learned the word for diesel. I had to listen to it and have it pointed out to me on the sign. I kept repeating it to myself to remember it but later in the day, I had forgotten. So I just recalled to mind the sign I had been shown and read that word right off it. Do you do things like that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
My memory is a weird one
I can't vizualise very well, or rather, I have to work hard to do so and once I do, I can't seem to keep the pictures (or sensations) long enough in my head to actually be able to use it for recognition. It's like I will instantly know if I've seen a face or heard a voice before, but I can't for my life recall the context where I saw it first
Same thing with rembemering sentences. I can remember number combinations and single words with ease, but as soon as the words forms a sentence it seems to be incompatible with my memory :)
Oh and finally, I never forget serious wrong doings involving myself. If I mistreat someone or they mistreat me, I'll be draging that load forever, even if there is nothing I can do it afterwards. :p

I guess this is a long way of saying that my memory is anything but a neat filing cabinet XD It's more like smoke making shapes, and occasionally it solidifies into something useful :p
P.s. on a side note: my dreams tend to be much more real in form of physical and emotional sensations than my actual memories

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Very broad/vague questions leave me with nothing to respond with. My mind has a very difficult time retrieving any kind of answer to broad questions like "What do you want out of life?" "What is your one philosophy?" I need SPECIFICS. I need something to compare it to.

And usually, if I learn something that I was interested in/am still interested in, I'll remember it easily. But things that have no relevance to my daily life that I'm also not very interested in, I probably won't remember. Like, I remember languages very easily. I am fairly fluent in Spanish but I don't speak it everyday. I hardly practice with it but I can think in it if necessary. Same with things i've learned in my third language.

So, yeah, I definitely agree that when a question doesn't provide a very specific answer for you to come up with, like you said, it's hard to come up with an answer. But things are very easy to trigger if I'm in the right mentality. Like, if I'm in a present conversation that's discussing something, I'll know what I want/need to say, but otherwise, if it's brought up out of nowhere... I'll be lost.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,257 Posts
hmmm.....
much of the time it feels like while I actually do remember a lot of things I can never remember them at the time I actually Need to.

I have a mental picture of my brain as a study in which all the books and papers from the cabinets are left open and strewn on the ground and on the desk surface and everywhere just haphazard and it's only lit by dim candles or a sort of warm ambaint glow that doesn't really reach into the corners of the room.

I usually need to have some kind of 'trigger' which starts a chain of links back to a particular memory, the associations may not always seem straightforward if I try to explain my train of thought to someone else though, and so often I'll 'randomly' say "That reminds me of ______" and everyone else just stares at me wondering how that could possibly be related to whatever it is we're doing or talking about. Obviously not all the time, but fairly often I feel like I have to give clarification for why some memory was brought up.

I do tend to reminisce a lot, I will frequently be reminded of moments from my past, things I did or felt, or saw, or heard, or learned etc. and tend to share these memories aloud as a way to give people a better picture of my life/my-thoughts.

If I'm having trouble remmebering something, it really helps me to do the retrace your steps thing, where I have to go back to the place or recreate the circumstance where I first thought of or first remembered the thing I now realize I've forgotten. Often that will re-trigger it for me.

Also, it really really helps me to write things down. The act of writing itself seems to help log things in my mind. In school I would take meticulous notes in class but wouldn't really need to look at them afterwards

Sometimes if I think of something while I am falling asleep I am able to grab something on the bed or nightstand and sort of... attach my thought to it and then toss it on the floor so when I step on it in the morning I remember what I'd been thinking about.

Sometimes my memory is very detailed other times its very vague.

Also I strongly disagree with the idea that 'if it's really important to you, you'll remember it.' This just isn't the case in my experience, I often remember stupid trivial things that I wonder Why WHY brain did you log that? But other important stuff that I really want and need to know.... sometimes it just won't seem to stick.

·
Registered
196 Posts
@Aelthwyn I relate to so much of that. Including disagreeing with the idea of remembering what is important! Gah! I've had a number of upsetting attempts at trying to explain this to my husband. :sad: I'm going to try the idea of attaching thoughts to things.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,257 Posts
I relate to so much of that. Including disagreeing with the idea of remembering what is important! Gah! I've had a number of upsetting attempts at trying to explain this to my husband. :sad: I'm going to try the idea of attaching thoughts to things.
nice to know I'm not alone. my best example of how the importance thing doesn't work is that I have asthma, my life literally depends on remembering to bring my inhaler with me if I'm going anywhere my allergies might be triggered, this definitely matters a great deal to me, I've struggled through some very bad times of not being able to breathe because I've somehow forgotten my inhaler in my other purse or something. Seriously, anyone who gives me that line gets a severe glare. It's not as if the importance of remembering this hasn't been driven home to me, it's not as though I don't care if I spend hours just trying not to die while getting back home from somewhere with cats or something, it's not as though I don't TRY to remember this, but like I said it seems the important things always escape me at the critical moment that I need to remember them. :frustrating: It's almost like trying really hard to make sure I have remembered everything causes me to forget things, I dunno. sigh....

hope the idea of attaching thoughts to items works for you! :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I've always had a very good memory for the verbal (especially contradictions, the pain in the ass "wait, no you said this 4 years ago" just too bad I can't remember what I said 4 years ago.), sequence of events (but more general, nothing specific, I cant remember cooking order or say, origami folk order for the life of me), and vibes of surroundings (there are places I don't enjoy going to or see the point because the place's distinct 'vibes' are still with me and I don't want to relive them)

I will remember very old and seemingly trivial promise. I won't remember names or someone's physique or hair color or famous quotes but I remember numbers and statistical data very well when it interests me (and for years). Any sort of knowledge which manages to leave an impression (whether it's factual or just general information about a person). I won't remember the name of the source but I'll remember when I learned it and the environment I learned it in.

I think most of this is because I have good concentration skills and many things interest me, so as soon as I hear I begin to process.

Reactions: Buran

·
Registered
986 Posts
If something's important to me, I'll remember it right away.
Otherwise my memory's pretty bad if it's something I didn't consider important.
My verbal memory's is terrible, I'm constantly at loss of words that best describe a situation, or a thing. Even though I know what I mean, its always too hard to choose the most suitable word. If I forgot a certain word, I need to picture it in my head, how it looked, how it felt, how it smelt, tasted etc, then I might remember.
Actually, my memory's quite bad in general.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'm best at memorising things that have been said. I can't remember text too well unless it had a real emotional impact. I'm also good at memorising what I've seen - again this doesn't work on text as well.

If I need a memory I can just pull it up no problem. Unfortunately, these tend to be bad memories. And sometimes random sound bites are pulled up in relation to something - right now I'm listening to the song Numb, and every time I see the title I remember an old friend singing the chorus. It's funny.

My entire thought process can trigger sound bites from the past - I'm very much stuck in the past, which I'm aware is so Si it hurts, but I really am stuck in the past - everything reminds me of something else, and I think constantly of how I could change it.

So my memory works like an annoying fly in my ear.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My memory is horrid regarding details that I disregard, which, needless to say, amounts to quite a few details. However, when I actually pay attention to something, I have a tendency to remember aspects of that thing rather than the thing itself. I'll give you an example that I gave someone today:

I notice that most people remember what other people wear. Noticing when someone wears the same hoodie a few days in a row, etc. I tend to remember aspects of the overall outfit/object rather than the object itself. So, if I see a cool pair of shoes or something, I wouldn't be able to pick them out in a store, but I could tell you that they looked antique, worn and heavily wrinkled, etc. I have issue remembering shapes. It's harder for me to remember a shape than to imagine one. Much harder.

The same goes for people. Will I remember your name? Probably not. Will I remember your college major and all of the classes you're currently taking? Probably, so long as I asked the question.

I can't remember titles to movies that I watch, nor can I remember the plots. It's weird... The same goes for fiction books, etc. I have trouble remembering the details. Overall event, how many heavy action scenes there were, and where the story is going? Sure, I can remember those things. Just not the characters, the plot, the title or the director/author.

My memories are fairly well organized, the ones that I have that is, but they work like a web system rather than a set of filing cabinets. "Oh, so it's good to avoid circular logic when arguing;, oh yeah that relates to this fallacy that I read about; oh, and I remember this guy I used to debate used that fallacy; ... what other debaters use that fallacy..." etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
hmmm.....
much of the time it feels like while I actually do remember a lot of things I can never remember them at the time I actually Need to.

I have a mental picture of my brain as a study in which all the books and papers from the cabinets are left open and strewn on the ground and on the desk surface and everywhere just haphazard and it's only lit by dim candles or a sort of warm ambaint glow that doesn't really reach into the corners of the room.

I usually need to have some kind of 'trigger' which starts a chain of links back to a particular memory, the associations may not always seem straightforward if I try to explain my train of thought to someone else though, and so often I'll 'randomly' say "That reminds me of ______" and everyone else just stares at me wondering how that could possibly be related to whatever it is we're doing or talking about. Obviously not all the time, but fairly often I feel like I have to give clarification for why some memory was brought up.

I do tend to reminisce a lot, I will frequently be reminded of moments from my past, things I did or felt, or saw, or heard, or learned etc. and tend to share these memories aloud as a way to give people a better picture of my life/my-thoughts.

If I'm having trouble remmebering something, it really helps me to do the retrace your steps thing, where I have to go back to the place or recreate the circumstance where I first thought of or first remembered the thing I now realize I've forgotten. Often that will re-trigger it for me.

Also, it really really helps me to write things down. The act of writing itself seems to help log things in my mind. In school I would take meticulous notes in class but wouldn't really need to look at them afterwards

Sometimes if I think of something while I am falling asleep I am able to grab something on the bed or nightstand and sort of... attach my thought to it and then toss it on the floor so when I step on it in the morning I remember what I'd been thinking about.

Sometimes my memory is very detailed other times its very vague.

Also I strongly disagree with the idea that 'if it's really important to you, you'll remember it.' This just isn't the case in my experience, I often remember stupid trivial things that I wonder Why WHY brain did you log that? But other important stuff that I really want and need to know.... sometimes it just won't seem to stick.
I think you about summed it up right there :tongue:

I remember impressions of things more than actual details usually... unless I don't. Sometimes a crystal clear memory of some past scene (usually a setting) will pop into my head, and it will feel as if I was just there. I tend to remember visuals best, but when I imagine my past it feels as if I'm looking into a fog with a lighthouse shinning clarity on certain events randomly:confused:. In fact most of my childhood is a blur.

Now as to remembering information? It's also random :dry:.
I can quote an obscure line from a movie I've only seen once but ask me to explain how I arrived at a certain conclusion on a certain subject and I'll draw a blank... even if it's on a subject I've researched extensively.

I also tend to start doing something such as walking somewhere to grab something (usually this happens at work), and when I arrive there I can't remember why I went over there. Consequently, I often have to return to where I started in order to remember :laughing:. This probably has something to do with me being almost constantly in my head thinking about the universe or some such matter :rolleyes:.

Reactions: Buran and Aelthwyn

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
A mix of visual images that were constructed from without, concepts that were re-paraphrased by myself, and a web of causations that connect the physical world together (Ti-Se). I think some of these are quirks of Ti doms which distill and reconstructs the outerworld, thus making them difficult to communicate in their original forms, especially in speech.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A great big pile of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff :p It's a giant mess.
There are some memories at the top of the pile that can be retrieved easily enough, but the rest.. really hard to retrieve.
If I had to put it visually, it looks a bit like this:

·
Registered
Delta ST, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
Crappy and weird.
Frequently forget recent important tasks, but remember in detail some useless events from many years ago.

It is also both detail-oriented and contextual in a meaning that it is easier for me to recall specifics when provided a context, as well as remember context of situations from available details.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Mine is like a filing cabinet, or a dictionary. Always there ready for recall, easy to find. However, it is composed almost entirely of facts about the physical world. Conversations slip away. I always remember someone's face, but their name escapes me until I get to know them, and if I don't see them for years, I might not remember their name when I see them again. I can retrace the route of any walk or hike I've ever taken, the trees and animals I've seen for example. But I'll forget I had a conversation last year with someone until they remind me, then it comes back slowly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts