Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Say you've been secretly cloned and now your clone wants to take over your life, but they've only been able to observe or study you from a distance (since obvioulsy they couldn't let you see them). They have your same basic personality and intelligence, but not the same exact upbringing. How easy will it be to take your place?

1. Are there many people who are pretty intimate or close with you? And are they people you would trust to be observant enough to notice that there's something 'off' about you if you were replaced by your clone?

2. How predictable are you? Do you have a lot of routines, habits, frequently used phrases, mannerisms etc. which characterize you to others, or are the people you know frequently surprised and kept on their toes by how you react, never knowing what you'll do or say next? Have you developed any quirks that you think your clone might find difficult to master? (remembering they are the same physically and personality-wise).

3. Are you pretty open about your tastes and oppinions? To the extent that someone could find out most of them without ever meeting you? Only to the extent that people who know you would definitely notice if you suddenly said you didn't like something you normally do or agreed with something you normally don't. Or are you so reserved that probably no one would question any answers your clone made up since they'd never heard youd say anything about it in the first place? And additionally, do you think you have many unusual, obscure, contradictory, or in some other way hard to predict tastes or interests?

4. Do you have a lot of private jokes, unspoken agreements, shared memories, special ways of interacting, or other secrets with people in your life? How much do shared personal memories come up in your conversations?

5. Do you know and rember a lot about people in your life which your clone would be expcted to be aware of but wouldn't be? And are you insightful enough about people that your clone, having similar capabilities, would be able to pick up enough about the people you know quickly enough to mask their lack of history with these people? Or are you forgetfull/clueless enough about the details of people you know that they probably wouldn't notice if your clone didn't remember things about them?

6. Similarly, do you have much specialized knowledge, or things which you have figured out yourself that someone else wouldn't have been taught which you put to use in your work or hobbies? Stuff that only You would know or be able to do?

7. How good are you at playing along and reading the cues of what others expect of you? (Your clone would have about the same ability as you in this regard) Are you good at 'faking it', good at acting, good at playing to your audience?

8. How good are you at figuring out passwords you've forgotten? Do you think your clone, thinking like you, would find it easy or impossible to figure out your passwords? Likewise, do you have difficulty finding your own things? Do you think your clone would be able to quickly work out your system, or would they be pretty lost in regards to figuring out where you've put/left stuff?

9. Do you think 'nurture' or your life experiences have greatly shaped you? Or do you think you would be very similar to how you are now even if you had lived through different circumstances? That is to say, what are the chances of your supposedly identical clone being very similar to you mentally/emotionally/spiritually?

10. And similarly, do you think your interests have been greatly influenced (or intoduced to you) by the people you have been with, or do you think you would have come to the same interests and tastes regardless of who you've spent time with or the oppinions of those around you? That is to say, what are the chances of your clone naturally sharing your interests without having to have learned what they are?

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace me, or to replace me undetected and unsuspected?

The former is easy, the latter is unlikely.
heh, good point, and interesting distinction. I was going for replacing undetected :)
....but it is interesting to think about someone filling your shoes, and how others might react to knowing a you that isn't you.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
It would be pretty damn difficult to replace me. Genetics only goes so far. My unique life upbringing and my circumstances formed a lot of the quirks I carry with me today. Much of it was influenced by chance events- for example I just happened to stumble upon a certain song or book, hence my interest in that. I'm pretty sure my clone would have a different set of unique quirks even if we share the same fundamental personality structure.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It would be pretty well impossible to replace someone without people noticing given different upbringings in my mind. Our experiences are a large part of what makes us who we are today.

I am not the same person I was 20 years ago, there have been many life changing events since then, births, deaths, marriage, divorce, career growth, mentors, new hobbies, education, etc. To expect a clone to be able to walk in and act the same way I do and know the same things I know is not realistic. Could I be replaced? Sure, that's what happens when we die. Would I be missed? I would hope so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Where can I find this clone? I have this intense need to vanish but feel like it might hurt some people's feelings eventually and a clone seems like the perfect solution! ^^

I do think that if a clone were to spy on me for a couple of weeks they could probably pick up enough to pass as me. Once you get to know me I am a fairly predictable person. Not only that, but I am also pretty good at figuring out people, so figuring myself out wouldn't be that hard. I do not think however that anyone (even a clone) could just drop in my shoes and figure out how to be me just from the trappings I've left behind.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If a clone of me could only observe me from a distance, then he couldn't possibly acquire the necessary information to be able to replace me. I am an enigma to people who don't know me, and when I don't care to be known. This clone would have no way of gaining personal information about me without actually coming into contact with me. If he's allegedly me, then he can't approach people who know me and ask stupid questions while pretending to be me, as he'd give himself away.

I am autodidactic in several areas, so simply being genetically identical to me is not going to give him the knowledge that I have. And since he didn't have my life experience, it would be impossible for him to be the same as me and would thus be unable to replace me. The person who's currently known me the longest of anyone outside my family knows how I've been shaped by largely negative life experiences, and would notice my clone strangely acting out of character. My family would notice something was weird even if they didn't know exactly what.

My interests have not been influenced by people I've been with in any way. My interests have come from discovering something on my own and then learning more about it, due to a thirst for knowledge. My clone wouldn't share my interests without knowing what they are, because he wouldn't have had the experience that brought my interests to my attention in the first place. And if he's simply a conformist, then he obviously isn't the real me. I am not open with regards to anything pertaining to myself, so my clone would not be able to find out my tastes and opinions without actually meeting me, which of course he can't do.

And there's the matter of exactly how he's supposed to go about replacing me. Unlike my clone, I've actually had my identity stolen. Which has made me hyper-vigilant against it ever happening again. And if he's intending to replace me, then he wants to steal my identity. Which means that he's going to eventually do something that's going to put him on my radar. I'd figure it out, then test the hypothesis in order to gain confirmation (though this would require people following my explicit instructions, and some people have a problem with just following directions). Since he wouldn't have had my experience he would have no reason to suspect I'd do such a thing.

And spying on me would be difficult. I'm 6'5", so a clone of me couldn't exactly sneak around and blend in when he towers over everyone around him. I stand out. People notice me. And since people already notice one of me, they're certain to notice two of me. He wouldn't be able to spy on me himself without drawing notice, yet he couldn't send someone else to do it. This is an enterprise that's really doomed to fail, as I'm too different from the "norm" for this to be successful.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well if they were observing me from a distance on outdoors events then they probably will get away with it considering i...they just would, but a lot of my emotions happen when im alone and away from people.
not many people know me personally anyway

70% of my activities are away from people funny enough for an Extravert
so they would get away with it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Seeing as I hate everyone and tend to let everyone know it, it wouldn't be hard to replace me at all. Even the guy in the mailroom who I constantly ignore would notice something different if I actually initiated a conversation. I make it a point to be transparent to a degree so that there are no secrets which in turn makes me at least unable to be blackmailed by my own deeds. Granted, I don't put everything out there but enough that people most of the time don't try to pry any further. Friends, family, coworkers all would notice if I actually was genuinely friendly and less abrasive about everything. So a clone with a generally poor disposition on life would fit in just right. :dry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts