Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my ISFP buddies! I have a question....
When it comes to physical affection (Hand shakes, hugs, kisses and cuddles etc.) how far is too far when it comes to friends? I can be comfortable with a long hug from a guy-friend.... Maybe even a light cuddle (don't judge me!) but that's as far as I will take it. What about you? How far or how much physical affection do you like/need? And what type of displays of physical affection do you prefer? Let's discuss!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I'm not a very affectionate person... So, only my BFF gets a hug from me... Otherwise, hugs are reserved for my family only. I can honestly say, I've rarely ever greeted anyone with more than a hello...and I'm not really big on touching people when talking to them. I just don't like people being inside my bubble unless it's family. :eek:)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't make physical contact without intent, if I touch you in some way it means something. With guy's I usually keep it on a camaraderie, that's awesome bro type contact, like a fist pump, strong handshake, pat on the back when we're excited and happy. I did hug a really good friend of mine when I finished college and moved away, he was a little more girly with it than me lol, that's okay though. With female friends, I like to be more playful and teasing, maybe nudging them around or play fighting, and I do initiate hugs with the ones that are really great when I'm saying goodbye and such. If I caress them at all, sit really close to them, or am otherwise in contact with them for a longer period of time, they best look out because I may be falling for them.

I really like physical contact, but that being said, people I don't like don't touch me, I will flip out if they do.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I'll give out hugs quite freely to anyone who wants them, but they only actually mean something to me when they're with somebody I'm very close to. I never tell anybody this though, that way nobody knows I'm not being serious. I'm comfortable with hugs from close male friends but they're not. They always make a comment about how it's awkward and/or gay... and that's when we accidently brush hands. I don't even wanna know their opinions on anything further than that.

Watching meaningful cuddles between really close people is adorable though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not a very physically affectionate person with anybody unless I am ridiculously comfortable around them. I will fist bump and hi five my friends but that's about as far as that goes; I don't even like sitting too close to most people O_O. I will only hug family members or somebody that I'm dating. I'm not sure how that compares to other personality types...

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give out hugs quite freely to anyone who wants them, but they only actually mean something to me when they're with somebody I'm very close to. I never tell anybody this though, that way nobody knows I'm not being serious. I'm comfortable with hugs from close male friends but they're not. They always make a comment about how it's awkward and/or gay... and that's when we accidently brush hands. I don't even wanna know their opinions on anything further than that.

Watching meaningful cuddles between really close people is adorable though!
I'm a equal opportunity cuddler.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The most so far have been hugs. I'm not too physically affectionate around friends but I need a lot of affection from SOs.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
That is very cultural. I shake hands and touch the shoulder of my friends.
I may hug them in some cases. Mostly I only hug girls. I will accept hugs from guys, but seldom initiate them.
To cuddle with a guy would be WAY outside comfort zone.
It is mostly cultural I think. Not that I care to challenge that cultural idea.
I see no reason to put myself in a situation that would feel gay to me.

If you feel gay or your friend feel gay you have gone too far.
Where that line has been crossed depends on so many factors.
Russian men manage to kiss without it being gay... so what you do is not the issue.
It is how and in what context. Hope that helps.

That been said cuddling with guys sounds and feels gay to me.
But thats just me. :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got used to hugging people since i started going out with my brother and meeting his friends,before that i would just stand frozen not even saying hi while someone hugs me and i think in that moment "what should i do right now?".
hand shakes, no problem. Kisses? well i avoid that one since i'm too shy to do that :frustrating:

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
@hornet Would you cuddle with a male friend if it didn't feel gay in doing so?

@Skinnyman The European 'cheek kissing', or kiss on the lips? I'm not sure where it's prominent or not to be honest. :tongue:
Yes, I could do that.
As a joke comes to mind as a prime example.
However I have no interest in cuddling with men, as they don't attract me.
The perceived benefit has to be fairly big, like making everybody laugh.
Or weirding out an annoying guy so he stops being annoying.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@hornet Would you cuddle with a male friend if it didn't feel gay in doing so?

@Skinnyman The European 'cheek kissing', or kiss on the lips? I'm not sure where it's prominent or not to be honest. :tongue:
i actually never cheek kissed anyone i know, except my mother,and the other one, i don't do that with people around me and when i do it i usually regret it so i just stopped :/

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm not a very physically affectionate person. The most I do is hug my family, and if you initiate the hug as a friend I will hug you back, but rarely (if ever) do I initiate a hug. I don't even like sitting close to people...I think I may have just a very big space bubble. x3

1 - 20 of 32 Posts