Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking tests lately because I am interesting in getting a computer job. The tests cause me to feel anxious, make lots of mistakes, and pause in terror. After working out the mean from five separate results, I got a result of 65 wpm, which is ok, but I'm sure in reality its closer to 75.

When I'm taking the tests, I feel the need to be perfect and it caused me to panic. As a result I make a lot more mistakes in typing tests than I do when I'm casually typing something for myself.

When I'm under pressure, I'm not sure whether to look at the screen, or occassionally peek at my fingers, and whenever I made an error I would freak out, pause for a few moments then decide whether to fix it or continue writing, which must have brought my average down a lot.

Out of five tests, my lowest score was 52 words per minute, and my highest score was 79 words per minute.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My highest was 120 wpm. LOL. I attribute my typing speed to an intense and rigorous training program known more commonly as an MMOPRG MapleStory when I was younger. =____= (As in, I was addicted to playing it and you needed fast typing in order to communicate with other players.)

My teachers also started sloshing us through Type To Learn around 3rd grade. UGH.

I also play TypeRacer for fun sometimes... especially during school since most "fun" websites are blocked. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@pinkoctopus *looks around nervously, feeling embarrassed and inferior in comparison* lol

You could type for the courts or something! That is really impressive!

I can certainly type faster than I can write with a pen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@pinkoctopus *looks around nervously, feeling embarrassed and inferior in comparison* lol

You could type for the courts or something! That is really impressive!

I can certainly type faster than I can write with a pen.
Nahhh! I'm just a freak. Don't feel inferior! I have typos aplenty and I'm pretty sure my thumb is in a permanently curled position from the way I position my fingers. LOL... I don't type "normally" at all, apparently. My average speed is only around 90ish though. I was hopped on coffee when I took that test.

And lol, it's all thanks to online multiplayer games... Gotta respond quickly when someone sends a trade request! #nerd #foreveralone LOLOL. Glad I quit. The only thing I learned from MapleStory was 1) typing and 2) people on the internet can be really, really weird sometimes.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@pinkoctopus Haha, don't worry, the inferiority thing was a joke! I was just surprised that the first person to respond was so fast, because I thought my speed was so good! Apparently the average is 30-40 words per minute, so I should be good for the job.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@pinkoctopus Haha, don't worry, the inferiority thing was a joke! I was just surprised that the first person to respond was so fast, because I thought my speed was so good! Apparently the average is 30-40 words per minute, so I should be good for the job.
LEAVE IT UP TO ME TO COMPLETELY MISS THE JOKE IN THE RESPONSE

THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING. IGNORE ME PLEASE. HAHA. :blushed:

Your speed IS pretty good. There's a kid at my school who literally types with his two pointer fingers. So painful to watch...

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@pinkoctopus just so you know, typing in capital letters is against the rules- if I want to make it sound like I'm sounding or emphasise a point, I put the two things between **s, '' ''s or I underline it. Its a recent rule change, so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

I used to be that kid, lol. I took TIM at school, and it was always easier to type when I could look at the keyboard. Unfortunately, the teacher was a big, scary lady who used to sneak up behind us and yell ''STOP looking at the keyboard and use all of your fingers or I will give you a DETENTION,'' or something along those lines- nearly peed my pants a few times!

I didn't actually learn how to touch type until I started blogging, and I think it initially happened without me noticing, because I was so focused on what I was doing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My highest was 120 wpm. LOL. I attribute my typing speed to an intense and rigorous training program known more commonly as an MMOPRG MapleStory when I was younger. =____= (As in, I was addicted to playing it and you needed fast typing in order to communicate with other players.)

My teachers also started sloshing us through Type To Learn around 3rd grade. UGH. You're the first person on here that I've seen to play too :O If it's not too weird to ask, but what world were you in? (SUPER small chance I know you? xD)

In regard to the OP, I think I can type around 90-100 wpm (I also give credit to Maple), but I generally type way slower at like 60, because I can't think of what to say as fast as I can type it... xD Typing fast is pretty much only useful when I have to copy something I wrote by hand to the computer.

I also play TypeRacer for fun sometimes... especially during school since most "fun" websites are blocked. :tongue:
OHMYGOD. I LOVED playing maple, but I've been clean for 2 years xD (god I sound like an addict...).

·
Registered
140 Posts
@pinkoctopus just so you know, typing in capital letters is against the rules- if I want to make it sound like I'm sounding or emphasise a point, I put the two things between **s, '' ''s or I underline it. Its a recent rule change, so I wouldn't blame you for not knowing.

I used to be that kid, lol. I took TIM at school, and it was always easier to type when I could look at the keyboard. Unfortunately, the teacher was a big, scary lady who used to sneak up behind us and yell ''STOP looking at the keyboard and use all of your fingers or I will give you a DETENTION,'' or something along those lines- nearly peed my pants a few times!q

I didn't actually learn how to touch type until I started blogging, and I think it initially happened without me noticing, because I was so focused on what I was doing.
Oops! I didn't know that. Thanks so much... I'll remember not to hit caps lock anymoee. Aghh. I shall bold things or use your techniques! Thank you so much! <3

And those type of teachers terrify me. Ugh.

Tiggleric said:
OHMYGOD. I LOVED playing maple, but I've been clean for 2 years xD (god I sound like an addict...).
LOL, Maplestory... I blew off so much money on that game it was ridiculous. I quit when my progress report came and I saw a big fat ugly "C" on my science grade. Dark times. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oops! I didn't know that. Thanks so much... I'll remember not to hit caps lock anymoee. Aghh. I shall bold things or use your techniques! Thank you so much! <3

And those type of teachers terrify me. Ugh.

LOL, Maplestory... I blew off so much money on that game it was ridiculous. I quit when my progress report came and I saw a big fat ugly "C" on my science grade. Dark times. :p
Oh yea.... those nx cards really raped my wallet xD But I had a ton of fun while I played, so no regrets~ I hear it's like completely changed now o_o

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometimes I bold one or two words, but never the whole sentence- the mods might take it the wrong way. I used to do it all the time, then they went and changed the rules on me.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I clocked at 72wpm when I did a lot of typing a couple of years ago....I'm still in the 60s, but I don't usually have to type as fast...

>.> When I was 15, I was in role play forum where we "battled" via IM or in a chatroom. The rules of dueling were that you could dodge at attack or counter it until the next attack....which meant the faster typist was usually the winner.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I got 79WPM, but the test was also British and knocked off points for not spelling words like Favorite, Color, and Gray in the British way. >_<
I never spell Grey like that.. And Colour, that's my favourite.. Ha semi-joking

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My average is around 65-75 when I'm typing faster.. But usually I try to take my time to think through what I type.
I do really poorly on the tests, though.. I'm dyslexic, so my reading doesn't keep up with my writing.. It's a mess.

·
Registered
138 Posts
... about 100 wpm. .__.

My dad taught me how to type when I was in kindergarten, but I swear most of the speed comes from spending too much time on the computer.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I type super-humanly fast.
Not sure where I would test that. But really- don't need to. Super-humanly fast should get the point across. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts