Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if this is an Infp thing or not but how is your memory in terms of books you've read, TV shows you've seen, video games you've played, etc? Basically i want to know how good Infps are with trivia and things like pop culture. Lately I've been becoming a bit self conscious about my ability to remember the plotlines, characters and specific details of a book or movie or any other form of popular entertainment. I feel a bit dumb when i know I've had experience with something but for the life of me just can't pull that pertinent information out. It amazes me how some people can just pull out random dialgue in books and Tv and/or talk about obsecure movie scenes almost effortlessly while I'm struggling to figure out what exactly they are even talking about in the first place. Yet even after I figure it out I often can only recall a few details. Things like oh the main character was kind of a dick but secretly he had a kind heart, the place they were in was kind of cold looking with lots of trees, (i think they were in Alaska? Oh wait no, New York? I don't remember) oh and there was a dog and he died because some robot thing got him. Thats the extent of my ability to remember those types of things.Now my memory isn't the best anyway when it comes to this kind of stuff. Remembering birthdays is always a struggle for me and the majority of my childhood is hazy. I can barly remenber what I did the other day or what I ate. At the same time though yiu would think that I'e be able to remember the details of some of my favorite TV shows or games or whatever, nope! Even though they are my favorites and I enjoyed them very much I still can hardly remember them. Of course this is kind of nice because I can go back and revist many things and it would be like I had never seen or watched them before but it's also a bit frustrating. I'd like to be able to throw out pop culture references with the best of them or at least be able to follow and contribute to a conversation about a subject that I know I'm familar with but no matter what I do I can never remember enough about it to actually contribute. Does anyone else have this "problem"? Is this an Infp thing and our inability or lack of interest in seeing the details or is my memory just horrid? Thoughts, experiences, stories? Thanks!

·
MOTM January 2013
10,621 Posts
On a second note, my memory is pretty bad for short term stuff, I can remember a good deal of memories from my childhood though. The worst are remembering people's names but remembering telephone numbers is easier. So yeah, some times it works better than others :mellow:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Everything is see or experience that is interesting sticks with me forever and ever more until the day it is no longer interesting.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
I am excellent at trivia. I get questions some of the jeopardy people miss. I am loaded with all kinds of pop culture info.

HOWEVER..... I watched a movie today and upon hearing the director's name I thought to myself "that name sounds familiar" and it took me a whole 1/2 of a day to figure out, this is the same director that in 2005, I devoted one whole page on my site to one of his movie scripts.

I will not remember your name, even if I work with you for 20 years.

One of the funniest threads I ever saw in the InTP forum was their treatment of Plants and forgetting they needed attention. I think the title of the thread was "what do the plants in your home look like?"

·
Registered
392 Posts
I forget things like a fucking goldfish and forget to eat at least once a god damned week.

However.

• I can easily recall things that people I care about say. Small, seemingly insignificant details that someone said 5 years ago are easy to remember. Dates, for example. (Shame that doesn't apply in History classes.)
  • I can place faces easily (I suck with names).
  • Phone numbers are almost unforgettable once I commit them to memory. Birthdays are similar- easily forgotten but almost impossible to forget if I commit myself.
  • Things that interest me (as far as books/movies/etc) are remembered rather easily. Even the ones that don't sometimes are.
  • Negative memories stay with me for a very long time, and can still hurt very much.
  • Music, lyrics especially, are very easily remembered.
  • Happy experiences (traveling and whatnot) stick with me for a very long time.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
What I remember these days is feelings. I can remember the way a movie made me feel, or an experience, or a person's house, or a book, etc. But I can't remember the little details around it.

I remember a TON from my childhood, though. My childhood memories get triggered a lot and I find myself often remembering the weirdest events from my past. Stuff you'd have no reason to remember. Stuff like putting clothes into the dryer with my mom when I was 5, or playing a video game with my babysitter when I was 7, or doing a math quiz at school when I was 9. I can remember the first and last names of all the kids in my classes and could describe to you their personalities. But when it comes to anything past puberty, it mostly becomes a blur of feelings.

Everything still is a blur of feelings. Recalling a week long road trip vacation with a friend of mine from several years ago, I was saying how fun it was and how much I wished we could do it again. He said, "but I was sick the whole time, remember?" and I really have no recollection of him being sick. All I remember is having fun going to new places I had never been. I don't remember most of the places we went, their names, or even what states they were in. I just remember it was fun. I remember the atmosphere of the quirky hotel we were in, how it smelled, how it felt, how the colors of the carpet made me feel, the excitement of opening the door to the room for the first time and what the door looked like, how the quilt on the bed felt when I touched it, how the dampness of the basement made me feel like I was in a cave, how it brought back memories from childhood of a party in a mansion my family went to once. That kind of stuff. I couldn't tell you any facts about the hotel, even though it really made an impression on me. I couldn't tell you what we talked about when we were there. I couldn't tell you the name of the road it is on. I couldn't tell you how to get there. I couldn't tell you what part of the state it was in. I couldn't even tell you what month of the year it was when we visited.

If I read a book, a week later I will have forgotten the names of the characters. Some nights I watch a movie and the next day I can't remember what movie I just watched. I could read a fact sheet about something and 5 minutes later not be able to repeat to you any of the facts I just read. But if I read a journal entry where someone is talking about an experience or their feelings, 5 minutes later I could definitely retell the journal entry very easily. If the entry had names, dates or places in it, I would not remember those, however. Only the story and feelings involved in the story.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My memory is generally attuned to the things that invoked a feeling within me. The other things are just a little hazy here and there but eventually I will get there.

I'm also quite terrible at remembering names and dates but I use technology to compensate for it. =P

If I try and remember a memory in the past not only will I remember the visual scenario but also I would feel the same feeling that was felt at the time.

In terms of what you described OP my memory functions the same way. I can actually rewatch an old tv series and feel a bit like I'm watching it for the first time.

Fyi the average persons memory is not able to remember that far back so easily or so quickly nor are they able to interpret the feeling aspect so well.

Its not a problem its just the different way our brains work. Our focus is more on the feelings rather than the process or the structure.

·
Banned
573 Posts
So I don't know if this is an Infp thing or not but how is your memory in terms of books you've read, TV shows you've seen, video games you've played, etc? Basically i want to know how good Infps are with trivia and things like pop culture. Lately I've been becoming a bit self conscious about my ability to remember the plotlines, characters and specific details of a book or movie or any other form of popular entertainment. I feel a bit dumb when i know I've had experience with something but for the life of me just can't pull that pertinent information out. It amazes me how some people can just pull out random dialgue in books and Tv and/or talk about obsecure movie scenes almost effortlessly while I'm struggling to figure out what exactly they are even talking about in the first place. Yet even after I figure it out I often can only recall a few details. Things like oh the main character was kind of a dick but secretly he had a kind heart, the place they were in was kind of cold looking with lots of trees, (i think they were in Alaska? Oh wait no, New York? I don't remember) oh and there was a dog and he died because some robot thing got him. Thats the extent of my ability to remember those types of things.Now my memory isn't the best anyway when it comes to this kind of stuff. Remembering birthdays is always a struggle for me and the majority of my childhood is hazy. I can barly remenber what I did the other day or what I ate. At the same time though yiu would think that I'e be able to remember the details of some of my favorite TV shows or games or whatever, nope! Even though they are my favorites and I enjoyed them very much I still can hardly remember them. Of course this is kind of nice because I can go back and revist many things and it would be like I had never seen or watched them before but it's also a bit frustrating. I'd like to be able to throw out pop culture references with the best of them or at least be able to follow and contribute to a conversation about a subject that I know I'm familar with but no matter what I do I can never remember enough about it to actually contribute. Does anyone else have this "problem"? Is this an Infp thing and our inability or lack of interest in seeing the details or is my memory just horrid? Thoughts, experiences, stories? Thanks!
Can someone please clear this up for me because I'm confused...according to the signature, aren't you INTJ?

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Humans have to take their strengths with their weaknesses.

I have incredibly good short term memory, except with movies because I can never focus on what's happening - I focus on my thoughts and ideas about what I see. Books are sometimes like that too but not as bad.

Music I just enjoy. This makes it so I don't remember anything at all about the music.

I memorized 100 digits of pi 5 years ago and I still remember 80 of them.

Most people are S's so they typically know a lot more details about things making it hard to communicate with them.

EDIT: Don't try to compete with S's. Your lack of memory in those aspects is simply a strength disguised as a weakness.

Reactions: ptarmigan

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have an excellent memory, although it's selective. I easily remember theoretical ideas and facts, but when it comes to "real life", I'm prone to remembering embarrassing incidents that no one else remembers.

Reactions: Nettle

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
Can someone please clear this up for me because I'm confused...according to the signature, aren't you INTJ?
No. The spectrum consists of 200%. 44% would be 144%.
1% Introverted would be 101% and 100% introverted would be 200%

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
My short term memory is shit. But I can remember things in vivid detail from years ago. My memories are like vivid paintings; full of color and emotion. Like a bright flash in my mind. But I have to think about what I did the day before, and maybe it's because I'm so busy, but I forget if I've already discussed something with someone already.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have almost no memory at all for things I watch on TV, novels, or movies. If I liked a book I can put it back on the shelf and have a brand new story in a few years if I wanted. I think some of it is just a matter of what kinds of things we personally find interesting and also how often we revisit those things or "use" them. An ENT-something coworker will talk about movies and news and experiences and anything his imagination dreams up half the day every day and I am just slightly envious of him for that thinking that he is processing all of these things and integrating them and storing them and making them useful to him ... even though at the same time I listen in for about 30 seconds or a minute and decide I have nothing to do with this conversation and go back to my desk because it's just not that interesting to me in the end.

If I don't remember past experiences very well, I think a lot of that is just that I don't naturally think of what I'm doing in terms of a narrative. If I go hike a mountain for example I'll come back with pictures of flowers and mossy rocks and other things that I thought were beautiful but never think to take a picture of where I barely managed to cross a rain-swollen stream or of the dangerous rocks at the summit I nearly fell down. It's not what impresses me as important, so I don't remember it well or long. I think that's why too people ask what I've been up to and it's such a difficult question to answer.

I thought for a long time my memory was just terrible in general, but feeling like the only one who remembers this or that technical detail at work often enough is making me think less poorly of it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It all depends, really.

With things that don't phase me; passes right on by and I seriously can't recall any of it or hardly if it doesn't appeal or interest me in one way, another or at all. For example, lunch: I really can't ever remember what I've eaten if someone asks during dinner. Yeah, it's that bad.

With things that grab my attention, I can tell you every single detail. For example, a cup of delicious earl grey milk tea: I can describe the scent, flavor, the cup it was in- the color of the cup, any designs, if it was on a saucer, who served it to me- their name, what they were wearing, what they smelled like/of (if any scent at all), etc.

Only then do I soak every single thing around me that has to do with this yummy cup of tea (object, thing, subject of interest).

Selective memory... sigh...I need to work on this.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
Generally...dire. When I apply myself my short-term memory is above average (grouping techniques are something I've done since I was little) but my sensory and long-term memories are just terrible. And when I'm not concentrating, so is my short-term. I can't do names, I just can't. People, dogs, cats, plants. Nouns in general, my brain just rejects.

There are a few exceptions:
My sensory memory is great sometimes, which happens entirely at random. This usually comes across as me being really observant.
My short-term memory, when I really try.
My long-term memory for smells. Smells trigger memories so obscure I can't even see what they are, I just know something is being triggered.
My long-term memory for useless trivia. Exams need revising for over 3 hours? Nope. I need to remember your email address, so I'll rehearse it mentally for 10 minutes? In one ear and out the other. Plural of octopus? Why, that's octopodae. It was a 10-second snippet on a TV show 3 years ago. The sheer amount of useless crap I know is truly astounding. What's funny is, as soon as I need it, I forget. I was looking up, by coincidence, memory duration at the beginning of last year, and absorbing everything I skim-read. We started looking at it in psychology at school the next week and I couldn't remember any of what I learnt in class because it suddenly became boring.

As usual, my answer is 'all over the place'

·
Registered
215 Posts
To quote myself:
If I listen/watch/read attentively I sure won't forget.

My weakness is birthdays. I am barely able to remember my own date of birth and some others which I can calculate from my birthday. :)
And new names if I don't set my mind to it.

Other then that I am not forgetful. Sometimes I even shock people because I remember so many details. I often get asked "Why do you know this?" And I can only respond "I've just read/heard about this sometime ago." And if it is personal things someone once mentioned they think I am a stalker...

Funny situation: My mother was reading "Three little pigs" when I was a child. And if she forgot a word I told her so (I couldn't read at that time). :tongue:

In defence of my sanity I adapted a behaviour I don't particularly like, now: I can not listen to people about personal stuff. It will last forever...
I would like to add that I never had trouble learning poems by heart or memorizing everything about a topic for the next test at school. And I don't even use techniques like mnemonic memorization and stuff like that. I just hear/listen to something attentively and I will remember it if needed.

Sometimes I just remember a general concept of something and no details. Like if someone says something and I remember a study about this topic but can not give exact numbers or the authors of this study.

My passwords or long numbers (like telephone numbers) are music to me. Can one be a bit synaesthetic?
I can not listen to music and write down my password at the same time, since it has a different rhythm and all.
(and note that my important passwords are a lot longer then 20 numbers/letters/signs)

(Funny, found something that sounds quite close: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia#Spatial_Sequence_Synesthesia).

*Edit*: Knowledge about trivia? Very good, I suppose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have quite the selective memory.

I'm very good at trivia but not memorizing facts.

I don't remember names dates or numbers.

I can remember stuff that I feel like is important to someone else.

I often recall memories by the temperature, airflow, humidity, general feeling and other things.

one example is if I'm inputting a password. if I use a different keyboard that sounds different, I have to try again multiple times

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It depends. I'm quite absent-minded so to speak but on the other hand I can recall stuff from long time ago... sometimes...

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
It's interesting to see how many different ways people choose to remember things. I can tell you my memory is based on vision/physical position in space. I don't remember smells, noises, feelings, any of that other stuff you all described. My memory is very objective, and when I apply it the right way I can memorize a LOT at once, short term that is. I often get asked how I remember things. I just have very good spacial/visual memory.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts