Discussion Starter #1
How good is your memory in terms of:

memorizing facts;

remembering ideas/theories;

remembering things about people;

short-term;

long-term;

overall;

And do you make a conscious effort to remember certain things? If so, which ones?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a great memory when it come's to event's and idea's not so much when it comes to people or details. I remember what I think is important. For instance, I'm horrible with names and could hang out with you every day for a year and still refer to you as what's his face while considering you one of my best friends. I just don't often find it important to identify people with their name's in my mind and this includes my own.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
It depends a lot on how interesting/relevant it is. My short term memory is usually really freaking bad, this could be due to attention problems.

But long term it depends on how interesting/relevant the information is, and then it ranges from deadly accurate to non-existent. A lot of it for me is related to my Si, so to sensory information, that are not necessarily related, in the eyes of other people.

I don't usually make a conscious effort to remember things, but when I do, I try to recreate the mood in my head, and stuff like that. Kind of like reenacting the scenes.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For instance, I'm horrible with names and could hang out with you every day for a year and still refer to you as what's his face while considering you one of my best friends. I just don't often find it important to identify people with their name's in my mind and this includes my own.
I also have this problem to an extent but that person is not someone whom I consider as a friend, and I don't find them important to me. They can be hanging around me every day, but their name always slips my mind. Do you feel bad when this happens? Like how they remember your name, but you don't remember theirs? However, I remember all the details about people who are important to me even if they only mentioned something once.

But long term it depends on how interesting/relevant the information is, and then it ranges from deadly accurate to non-existent. A lot of it for me is related to my Si, so to sensory information, that are not necessarily related, in the eyes of other people.
What do you mean by this? Can you provide an example?

I don't usually make a conscious effort to remember things, but when I do, I try to recreate the mood in my head, and stuff like that. Kind of like reenacting the scenes.
By recreating the mood, do you mean you use your emotions in the moment in attempts to access your memories?

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
What do you mean by this? Can you provide an example?
I'm assuming by "this" you refer to the sensory information part. Here's an example.

My friends often tease another friend about how good of a cooker she is, referring to the one time she cooked homemade pizza, and burned them until they got carbonized. When they mention it, the whole evening comes back to me.
First of all, I remember the smell. It smelled like hot charcoal, yes, but still, it smelled like pizza, which is good. Tomato, pepper, cheese, chicken, and salmon. Some other vegetables I don't really appreciate, and am not sure which smells what.

Then I remember the lighting. A dim yellowish light creating a cosy ambience. Strong enough so we could all clearly see. The shutters were closed, to prevent the cold from outside to enter the apartment. It was winter, and it was a dark night. I helped her cook them, most of the others chilled in the living room, and one was being all ESxJ, cleaning and tidying the apartment. She asked me to help, because "I know you're conscientious when you do something", her words. We put the first into the oven, and joined the others in the living room.
We played 5 players Tarot, while one took a nap. We played for hours, until the first pizza was ready (the oven's crap). It was 10:17pm when we started eating.

The first one was really carbon black. Still delicious. I remember the taste of it. I remember the taste of all of them.

I remember the music that my friend put. It was salsa, he just started taking salsa classes and was obsessed with it. A few weeks after that he asked the one who cooked out. Of course. He was hitting on her the whole evening.

I remember how the furniture was placed. My friends who live in it change it something like every two weeks. But I remember where everything was this evening. Including the payment card of one of them, who two days after, posted a facebook status about how he lost his payment card. I told him where it was, he found it where it was.

I missed my last train change that night while going back home. I got out of the subway, and was confused (and lost), the last time I did miss it, those city works weren't there. I went the wrong way, and noticed it ten minutes after. When I got home, I ate a proper dinner, since I was hungry after two pizzas (and a two hours walk).

My friends remember that she cooked burnt pizza and they tease her for that. Each time they do, I remember all this. That's one example. It encompasses all five usual senses, some others, too (temperature for example). This was nearly two years ago, and it's all very vivid.

By recreating the mood, do you mean you use your emotions in the moment in attempts to access your memories?
Not the emotions, but the sensory information. If I lose something, or forget what I wanted to say, for example, I try to recreate what I was doing/what I was thinking about, up until the moment I lost that something/forgot that thought. I go back to where I was sitting/standing, and recreate a mental picture of what happened.

Some other times, it's just pictures. It's kind of how I know some trivia. Once my father asked everyone in the family for an alarm clock, but me. He probably assumed I had no idea where it was, I can't blame him for that. The thing is, I overheard him asking, in the room next to mine. I got up, went where that alarm-clock was, and brought it to him while my mother and sister were still trying to figure out where it was. This alarm-clock wasn't used for years, and had been sitting in a shelf in my room, without me even touching it, or noticing it was sitting there. But when he mentioned it, a picture of it, from my point of view, at a specific place in my room, popped up in my head, and I knew exactly where it was. The items around were blurry for some reason. It's like the picture was telling me "it's here."

I wish I could kick myself so I would try and build a mind palace to improve my short term memory because it really sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can remember literally anything if it generates enough interest within me. Otherwise, forget about it. The more interested I am in something, the stronger the mental connections.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't examined why, but my memory varies depending on the situation. My mother had an incredible memory, but my dad's is horrible, or at least very selective.

My short term memory is fairly good, though as I age, I can sometimes forget to take something with me when I leave the apartment. If I'm writing and get distracted by another idea, I can forget another sentence I wanted to add just minutes before.

Long term memory:

I can usually remember the names and faces of people I've met in person, even if it's only once years ago.

I can remember people's food preferences, allergies etc., especially friends and relatives, but even if it's someone removed a couple of degrees from me. This usually surprises people. For instance my best friend was recounting a story about a kid's birthday party and started talking about a family feud over how his step-sister-in-law made peanut-butter treats for the kids. I immediately said "that's stupid, what about Meaghan?" (who has a peanut allergy). She's the daughter of another of his in-laws. I've only met the kid once. He said "Exactly! Hell if you can remember that, why couldn't she?" (talking about the step-sister).

I can recall facts and trivia from long ago, when they fit the context of a conversation, like details of a client's product line or exact quotes from Seinfeld. I can vividly recall some parts of my childhood, like the layout and details of an old house of a relative I visited. When I'm doing certain tasks, it will trigger memories of what people said to me when I was performing that task before, even years later.

However, if I'm talking to someone, or writing something and have to mention a name of a famous person like an actor or musician, my mind goes blank, and the more I try to remember the further it gets away. I try to remember the name of the movie or song or another actor that played with them, but then that goes "poof" as well and I have to resort to a "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" sort of thing or recount trivial details related to the plot or the lyric to try and build my way back.

I can remember things in my possession, or that were once in my possession that I can swear I still have. I can see it and I'm pretty confident of where it is as I'm quite organized, but unlike the alarm clock and payment card example above, I can start tearing the place apart looking for it, not realizing I probably got rid of it years ago.

And as far as theories and ideas, I often find myself rehashing ideas as if they're new revelations, only to later find that I'd written journal entries about it long ago.

·
Not a Robot
2,150 Posts
memorizing facts; fair
remembering ideas/theories; good
remembering things about people; crap
short-term; goldfish
long-term; fuzzy
overall; What were we talking about again?
And do you make a conscious effort to remember certain things? If so, which ones? I really try to remember names. It doesn't help though.

My memory of details and ideas/theories largely depend on the information itself. If it is information about how the world works, it isn't really something to "remember" it's just how the world works. It is information that adds to a permanent model of what I know in my head.

My memory for space is excellent, apparently. Once I've been somewhere once, I've got a pretty good idea of how to get back and what is there. Once I've been somewhere twice, it is cemented in my brain and I can mentally recreate it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's selective.
Seemingly random facts, series of words I need to memorize, sensory memory, the in and outs of video games, and interesting classes seem to be vividly stuck in my head forever. I can recall word for word conversations I had in my chemistry class three years ago, every direction and quest in TES IV, certain visual ques will recall entire conversations I may have had months earlier. Some memories have remained unaltered for well over a decade.

The name of a really good food dish, order of the months, dates, names, and math all seem to come and go instantly.
It took me years to memories what temperature to set for colors or whites in the washing machine, but I can memorize and recite and new short poem in about twenty minutes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I suck at remembering people. I am good at remembering and ideas and concepts. I have good recall memory, but if something doesn't remind me to remember things, I won't, so like, I'd forget to do assignments all the time in school or forget they existed, and I'd also lose them which is unrelated but not helpful. The moment someone mentions "hey, what about that thing?" I'm like "OH YEAH... the thing..." and try to think of a better excuse instead of "I just completely forgot because I suck."

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm assuming by "this" you refer to the sensory information part. Here's an example.
That is all very interesting. I don't seem to relying on sensory information to remember things, at least not to the point of using all 5 senses, so thank you for explaining it to me.

I wish I could kick myself so I would try and build a mind palace to improve my short term memory because it really sucks.
Are you referring to a specific episode of Sherlock Holmes, where he used that technique?

Reactions: Lonewaer

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't examined why, but my memory varies depending on the situation. My mother had an incredible memory, but my dad's is horrible, or at least very selective.

My short term memory is fairly good, though as I age, I can sometimes forget to take something with me when I leave the apartment. If I'm writing and get distracted by another idea, I can forget another sentence I wanted to add just minutes before.

Long term memory:

I can usually remember the names and faces of people I've met in person, even if it's only once years ago.

I can remember people's food preferences, allergies etc., especially friends and relatives, but even if it's someone removed a couple of degrees from me. This usually surprises people. For instance my best friend was recounting a story about a kid's birthday party and started talking about a family feud over how his step-sister-in-law made peanut-butter treats for the kids. I immediately said "that's stupid, what about Meaghan?" (who has a peanut allergy). She's the daughter of another of his in-laws. I've only met the kid once. He said "Exactly! Hell if you can remember that, why couldn't she?" (talking about the step-sister).

I can recall facts and trivia from long ago, when they fit the context of a conversation, like details of a client's product line or exact quotes from Seinfeld. I can vividly recall some parts of my childhood, like the layout and details of an old house of a relative I visited. When I'm doing certain tasks, it will trigger memories of what people said to me when I was performing that task before, even years later.

However, if I'm talking to someone, or writing something and have to mention a name of a famous person like an actor or musician, my mind goes blank, and the more I try to remember the further it gets away. I try to remember the name of the movie or song or another actor that played with them, but then that goes "poof" as well and I have to resort to a "six degrees of Kevin Bacon" sort of thing or recount trivial details related to the plot or the lyric to try and build my way back.

I can remember things in my possession, or that were once in my possession that I can swear I still have. I can see it and I'm pretty confident of where it is as I'm quite organized, but unlike the alarm clock and payment card example above, I can start tearing the place apart looking for it, not realizing I probably got rid of it years ago.

And as far as theories and ideas, I often find myself rehashing ideas as if they're new revelations, only to later find that I'd written journal entries about it long ago.
Yeah, I think my memory process is very similar to yours. :happy: I still can't figure out why it decides to remember certain parts and why it doesn't for some other parts, though.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

memorizing facts;
Depends on how interesting they are. the more interesting, the more likely I am to remember them.

remembering ideas/theories;
excellent

remembering things about people;
Depends on the things. I tend to be poor at remembering names. This can be awkward at times.

short-term;
Could be better. I'm often asking to repeat something, someone just told me.

long-term;
Good, at least better than short-term, provided that the info makes it into long-term memory.

overall;
Good but could be better.

And do you make a conscious effort to remember certain things? If so, which ones?
Things that I need to do, peoples' names, things that I want to tell people later.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It depends a lot on how interesting/relevant it is. My short term memory is usually really freaking bad, this could be due to attention problems.

Me completely.

·
Registered
498 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts