Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread with the same topic on the type 7 board. How happy are you? Rate yourself on this scale -

1 - suffering severely from depression / anxiety / other negative states

3 - quite unhappy but managing to move on

5 - acceptable, tolerable, but not ideal

7 - usually content, have things to look forward to daily

10 - ecstatic (not sure if i would want this all the time)

Rate yourself -

a) for the last fortnight
b) for the last year
c) for your whole mature life (above 15, perhaps?)

You could give more than one answer for each.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a) for the last fortnight - 3

b) for the last year - 3

c) since i was 15 (i'm 28 now) - 3. in one year i spent in the UK, studying religious studies, i'd say 4-5.

I should add that at times I have put myself in positions of unhappiness, because they felt meaningful, or because there was a possibility that suffering in the present may bring more meaning in the future. In short, I have always valued meaning over happiness.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I saw a thread with the same topic on the type 7 board. How happy are you? Rate yourself on this scale -

Rate yourself -

b) for the last year

a) 4
b) 3
c) 3

Reactions: faizafaiz

·
Registered
465 Posts

Rate yourself -

b) for the last year

a) 4-because things going slightly out of plan
b) 6-Manage to find something new to replace ugly things happens 2 years ago..but still so-so
c) 4-Not yet finding my..let's say... 'true value' I guess?

·
Registered
771 Posts

Rate yourself -

b) for the last year

Great thread.

(I'm 18 at the moment)
a) 1
b) (okay, I change it to before I had a break up that affected me severely, so say from august 1 2012 to august 1 2013)=> 8
c) Having had the relationship that made me so happy for a year makes the average worse than if I had not had it at all... I can't help but say 2, the most. It was really bad when I was 15 and 16 as well... I was between 2 and 3. I want to say 1, overall.. at least this is how I see it now. The whole relationship thing is meaningless if everything was a lie in the end...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great thread.

(I'm 18 at the moment)
a) 1
b) (okay, I change it to before I had a break up that affected me severely, so say from august 1 2012 to august 1 2013)=> 8
c) Having had the relationship that made me so happy for a year makes the average worse than if I had not had it at all... I can't help but say 2, the most. It was really bad when I was 15 and 16 as well... I was between 2 and 3. I want to say 1, overall.. at least this is how I see it now. The whole relationship thing is meaningless if everything was a lie in the end...

I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. Have you thought of approaching a counsellor / therapist? In the book recommendations thread I mentioned a couple of books that you might find helpful - Swamplands of the Soul and Man's Search for Meaning. Let me know if you want a soft copy of either. Perhaps I should recommend Krishnamurti too.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. Have you thought of approaching a counsellor / therapist? In the book recommendations thread I mentioned a couple of books that you might find helpful - Swamplands of the Soul and Man's Search for Meaning. Let me know if you want a soft copy of either. Perhaps I should recommend Krishnamurti too.
Thanks.

I know counselor / therapist wouldn't work for me in most cases... besides the price and all... the few times I tried, earlier in my life, I would get more depressed than before. I simply can't go to a stranger and tell him/her everything just like that, I never understood that.
The only reason I would end up going to a counselor would be if I end up having absolutely no one to talk to, but even then I guess PERC would be enough... Nah, I'll do this my self... If I do get really, really desperate I don't know but hopefully I can take it on my own. If I do get that desperate I'd probably need drugs so I'd go to a psychiatrist... I've been resisting the urge to do that because I hate those drugs, I have the feeling It'd make it easier for now but make it last longer, with the addiction and everything...

I got the book thing covered though... But I'll definitely read Man's search for meaning eventually. The book that's really helping me is that one I posted in the other thread, Storms Can't Hurt the Sky: A Buddhist Path Through Divorce: Gabriel Cohen: 9781600940507: Amazon.com: Books
I think I can't do better than I am already. Whatever I read, whatever I do... If I don't get through this I'll know if tried my best at least.
The problem with the meaning thing is that right now I don't want, or don't care, to find any sort of meaning so I doubt it would work... At least now I do find it nice when it's in a story, a movie or something... but for my self... so far there's nothing I want to be, nothing I want to accomplish... At least I'm liking movies again, and books... And the philosophy classes of college.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
a) for the last fortnight... 4.
b) for the last year... omg... fluctuating between 2-5. It's been a CRAZY year (yes, for me, an average high of 5 is crazy and extreme lmao)
c) My whole mature life. Too much variation.
Ages 14-16: 1
Ages 17-20: wavering between 1-3
21-22: Wavering between 2-4...
23-26 (current age): Mostly between 3-5...

So... moving on up.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
5-7. My moods aren't really static. But they don't swing dramatically either.

I'm content. There are things that bug me, but the problems I have now are nothing compared to ones I've had. Right now I'm kinda restless, slightly bored with the way things are, I'm ready to move on but I'm stuck for now, as a student I don't have much money, I don't have a job at the moment and I don't have school until around Christmas, so I'm kinda stuck sitting on my ass.

But I manage. I'm trying to fill my days with new exciting things, I'm trying to meet new people and expand on my views on life. I'm reflecting, taking time to really think about life and the future. I'm content. But I am hungry to move on.
In a way, things are better than ever because there's no gigantic drama surrounding me or my emotions.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
a) 7
b) 3 to 2
c) 6

·
Registered
574 Posts
a) for the last fortnight -- between 2 and 9. This seems typical for me, but last two weeks have been more dramatic than ever.

b) for the last year -- 7-9, but *only* because of love interest and a few amazing friends that walked into my life. Could just as easily say 2, but I'm thinking of all the amazingly positive / life-enhancing experiences.

c) for your whole mature life (above 15, perhaps?) --

ages 15-16 = 8
age 17 = 3
ages 18-21 = 1
ages 22-24 = 3-5
ages 25-26 = 4-6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts