Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I've known that I'm an INFP since I was 35. I'm now 52. It was a life changing experience for me then. Life was a roller coaster. My emotions were up and down. Now things have smoothed out. I know who I am. I've tried a kagillion things. I know what I like and don't like. I now have a long list of things I like and would like to get to some day. I don't have enough time in my lifetime to get to them all, but that is a comfort to me. Overall, I feel happier. This is the best time of my life. I have a job a love...I'm finally at some kind of peace with my ISTJ husband. I just feel more settled. I hear that is typical of aging. It's true for me. Some of the descriptions of INFP no longer apply to me. Thay used to. (I can't think of them right now).

Anyway...how are you different now from a younger time? How has time changed you?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I'm much much younger than you, so you must be more mature than me, but I realized that I'm chaging all the time, but the basic of my character is the same. I'm still introvert, cold, stubborn.. That's great.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
I think I've just layered on more rings, like a tree. I've learned things, tried things, seen things, adjusted my behaviors, but, something way deep inside really hasn't changed that much. If anything has fundamentally changed it is that I have come to know, recognize and understand that 'thing' deep inside much better because of the passing years and constant input/interaction. It still feels like it is watching and waiting. For what, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll know it when I see it. Or maybe that time will never come.....

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
I've learned that it is OK to be me. I don't have to try to be my older sisters any more. Their path is not my path. For a long time, I wanted to be them because I felt that they were smarter than I was and more successful than I was. They were not artists so I did not want to be an artist. I wanted to be them.
I never gave up on music, however, because I couldn't stop singing.
I am not my sisters. I have gone back to my art. It gives me joy.
My sisters love my art.
And I am happy to be me.
It took a long time to reach this point.
I had to cry me a river first.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The core of who I am has not changed at all since I was about, I don't know, 4?

I learn and incorporate lessons so I don't make the same mistakes repeatedly. So that's growth of a sort. But I skate really close to the edge... always have. So many who only know me superficially think I am nothing more than an overgrown adrenaline junkie. That's definitely a big part of me, but it's not that simple. People say I am a risk taker. I think I am more of a risk mitigator. I know it sounds arrogant and potentially hubristic, but believe it or not, I actually know what I am doing. I also know very well that falling is not an option.

One thing I have become a lot better at doing as I have aged is listening.

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
I've learned from mistakes & I don't make the same mistakes again. As a result, life is very drama-free.

I'm happier the more the years roll by. Content and filled to the brim with a gratitude that I am still around on earth and breathing and able to still be with the ones I love.

More patient. More chill. More careful with my body. Where as in my teens & 20s I'd gallop horses and jump 4 foot fences without a second thought, now I'm more careful with physical risks.

Life. Is. So. Good.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
I'm drastically different than I was as a yoot. When I was young I was naive, needy, clingy, socially paranoid & maladjusted. Had zero confidence or sense of direction, no survival skills & thought I was weird for being an INFP, though I didn't know about the MBTI until I was around 34. Amazing I didn't wind up in a psychiatric ward. I somehow made a life out of nothing over the decades. Not much fazes me anymore. If a tornado blew over the house I'd probably sit here in front of my computer & ignore it. Maybe chuckle when the roof blows off. My world was so much smaller long ago. I didn't think much beyond a bowl of ice cream or a basketball game. Had the wisdom of a brick.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I’ve learned to let go of angst in my perceptions of how I think things should be. Life evolves regardless of my accomplishments or failings, and in the end, much of what I worried about was of little significance. I have developed a much simpler (and more manageable) list of priorities for my life, leaving me freed from continual stress and frustration. I have learned not only how to find serenity, but how to keep it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ache more.

It really hasn't affected me as much as I thought it would. I don't remember people being nearly as healthy well into "old age" as we all seem to be getting. I think being 50 (my age) is about the same as being 35 or 40 was back in the 60's.

AARP sent me a membership application recently and if I weren't interested in getting the free goodies (because I've been waiting a long time to get "stuff" with an AARP card :), I'd toss it in the trash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm much more patient than I used to be (with more being the operative word here...still working on it). I've finally learned to, if not master, at least balance that ENFP urge to please and be liked by everyone. I'm much more confident and at peace with exactly who I am. That and my joints are beginning to teach me the new skill of weather forecasting!

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,139 Posts
Time has made me much more confident, stronger, unflappable, appreciative, balanced, clear, and curious...

Those who have alluded to adding layers while not losing who we ever were hit it on the head. I think that Shrek had it right with the whole onion analogy.

Life has forced me into some rather unbelievable situations, yet, with the suport of those around me and a tappable source of mysterious strength I/we have gotten through and are much the wiser for it.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Time has made me much more confident, stronger, unflappable, appreciative, balanced, clear, and curious...

Those who have alluded to adding layers while not losing who we ever were hit it on the head. I think that Shrek had it right with the whole onion analogy.

Life has forced me into some rather unbelievable situations, yet, with the suport of those around me and a tappable source of mysterious strength I/we have gotten through and are much the wiser for it.
Whoops! When I first read your post I thought, "Hmmm. 'Those who have alluded to adding layers while not losing who, were hit it on the head.' Hit on the head? Ha! Er, what does that mean, exactly?"

(Apparently age has not improved my reading comprehension!) (Slow down!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts