Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lovely INFP's, I thought I would let you allin on how I act and behave with all the different MBTI types. I created thislist so that I wouldn't be awkward around people. It wasn't so muchthat I didn't have any confidence or self-worth, it was that I just didn'tknow how to be myself and relax around different people you find in college. I know mostpeople would say I should just 'be myself' around people, but thatdoesn't always necessarily work. In college you are always going tobe thrown or paired up with someone you aren't always sure you aregoing to find it easy to get on with and I myself KNOW from experience Ialways kick myself if I don't have good interaction with someone.

I never want to be the guy who people thought'Yeah he was cool but quiet, etc' I want them to really like me, findme funny and want to be around me. I am sick and tired of those flatmonotone conversations which always seem to go 'Hey, are you youalright?' 'Yeah, I'm fine, you?', 'Yeah I'm not too bad, you?' 'Yeahnot too bad, what you been up to?' 'Not much... you?' GAAAHHH, I freakin hatethose conversations so much. They just seem to be so pointless, butcoming from a young slim INFP male writer, conversations can bereally hard to do when you want special relationships. I can even have trouble knowing what to say to people I have known for years and years. So this is theway I like to act in front of every type. It helps me a lot and Ihope no-one is offended by it. :happy:

With INTJ- Inquisitive, child-like, bubbly

With ISFJ- Commanding, authoritative, protective

With ENTJ- Seductive and funny

With ISTP- Funny, witty and protective

With INFP- Eccentric and honest

With ESTP- Complimentary and funny

With ENFP- Mature, jaded but fun

With INFJ- Inquisitive and forward

With ISTJ- Agreeable, kind and fun

With ENFJ- Forward and driven

With ESTJ- Righteous, child-like, talkative

With INTP- Witty, flirtatious and fun

With ISFP- Fearless, smart and fun

With ENTP- Fun and ironic

With ESFP- Flippant and sensitive

I like to act this way so I can not only relate tothem, but be able to relax and not feel like I'm being boring oranything. I hate awkwardness with a passion but the problem being Idon't know HOW to not be awkward most of the time. I find if I canmake the conversation fun by trying to relate to them, but indifferent ways to each of them, I can get along and have fluid, fun,fulfilling, fantastical conversations/ interactions with literally any type andnot be afraid of talking to anyone. I can kind of be someone else infront of every person, which makes it fun. I like to be able to laughand relax not stressing over what to say next.

I picked adjectives for each type that I canaccess. If I put something like 'loud and crazy' or 'quiet and logical',I couldn't do it because that isn't me. All of the ajectives listedare me in some way or another, it's just knowing which part of you toaccess in order to get on with someone. I hope one day I won't haveto keep checking the sheet of paper I've written it down on and justknow it all off by heart. I bet most people know exactly how to interactwith different people and most are aware of the huge differencesbetween everyone. I would suggest for anyone going through socialanxiety to get a piece of paper, sit down and type everyone you know.Then use your imagination to work out how you feel comfortabledealing with each type in the MBTI.

Hope it helps. :happy:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I like how for about half of them you're fun or funny:proud: For the most part I just shift from being smart, quiet and cool-headed to being child-like, happy and funny. And looking at these descriptions as a whole, you look like a pretty cool guy to hang out with.

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Interesting list.

With me, I usually act more quiet and submissive with STJs. Sometimes chatty with SFJs. Yes, "eccentric and honest" with INFPs.

I avoid a bunch of the other types and don't usually get to know what types they are.

Reactions: Geoffrey

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Hello lovely INFP's, I thought I would let you allin on how I act and behave with all the different MBTI types. I created thislist so that I wouldn't be awkward around people. It wasn't so muchthat I didn't have any confidence or self-worth, it was that I just didn'tknow how to be myself and relax around different people you find in college. I know mostpeople would say I should just 'be myself' around people, but thatdoesn't always necessarily work. In college you are always going tobe thrown or paired up with someone you aren't always sure you aregoing to find it easy to get on with and I myself KNOW from experience Ialways kick myself if I don't have good interaction with someone.

I never want to be the guy who people thought'Yeah he was cool but quiet, etc' I want them to really like me, findme funny and want to be around me. I am sick and tired of those flatmonotone conversations which always seem to go 'Hey, are you youalright?' 'Yeah, I'm fine, you?', 'Yeah I'm not too bad, you?' 'Yeahnot too bad, what you been up to?' 'Not much... you?' GAAAHHH, I freakin hatethose conversations so much. They just seem to be so pointless, butcoming from a young slim INFP male writer, conversations can bereally hard to do when you want special relationships. I can even have trouble knowing what to say to people I have known for years and years. So this is theway I like to act in front of every type. It helps me a lot and Ihope no-one is offended by it. :happy:

With INTJ- Inquisitive, child-like, bubbly

With ISFJ- Commanding, authoritative, protective

With ENTJ- Seductive and funny

With INFP- Eccentric and honest

With ESTP- Complimentary and funny

With ENFP- Mature, jaded but fun

With INFJ- Inquisitive and forward

With ISTJ- Agreeable, kind and fun

With ENFJ- Forward and driven

With ESTJ- Righteous, child-like, talkative

With INTP- Witty, flirtatious and fun

With ISFP- Fearless, smart and fun

With ENTP- Fun and ironic

With ESFP- Flippant and sensitive

I like to act this way so I can not only relate tothem, but be able to relax and not feel like I'm being boring oranything. I hate awkwardness with a passion but the problem being Idon't know HOW to not be awkward most of the time. I find if I canmake the conversation fun by trying to relate to them, but indifferent ways to each of them, I can get along and have fluid, fun,fulfilling, fantastical conversations/ interactions with literally any type andnot be afraid of talking to anyone. I can kind of be someone else infront of every person, which makes it fun. I like to be able to laughand relax not stressing over what to say next.

I picked adjectives for each type that I canaccess. If I put something like 'loud and crazy' or 'quiet and logical',I couldn't do it because that isn't me. All of the ajectives listedare me in some way or another, it's just knowing which part of you toaccess in order to get on with someone. I hope one day I won't haveto keep checking the sheet of paper I've written it down on and justknow it all off by heart. I bet most people know exactly how to interactwith different people and most are aware of the huge differencesbetween everyone. I would suggest for anyone going through socialanxiety to get a piece of paper, sit down and type everyone you know.Then use your imagination to work out how you feel comfortabledealing with each type in the MBTI.

Hope it helps. :happy:
i understand the idea of adjusting to peoples preferences but doesnt the fact that you are so different to each type a little fake? I mean cant you be bubbly with the ISFJs? or funny with the INTJs? etc etc

Reactions: Owfin and Geoffrey

·
Registered
239 Posts
INFP forums start the best threads.

I definitely tone it down around people with HUGE personalities who take no care to hear/care about the people around them, regardless of type. My mom's an ESTJ and I tell her everything, but a friend of mine is an ESTJ and I just let her talk. I love being around my INTJ friends because I know they'll take all my crap. I'm a little crazier around SPs because they can handle it and want to join in!

As to authenticity, my purpose in letting different parts of myself come out around different friends is to try to love them in the best way possible! If inflicting my opinions on my ESTJ friend is just going to cause an argument, I'm not going to do it! She can take the reigns for the day. I always let my ISFJ friend process before she comes out with what she thinks. I try to choose my words carefully and affirm her in her strengths (which are so many). Obviously I'm not going to try to pretend to be someone I'm not. If I just straight up don't get along with someone, I won't pursue their friendship!

Shablamo.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
trends-
infps: very serious self sharing
infjs- silly silly yay fun fun
intjs- argue and become grudging friends
entj- revert to total silence and watch in awe
enfj- make small talk and share interests, if in a group get along well
esfj- talk about feelings and mutual aquaitances, make jokes, sarcastic humor
istj- lots of humor, jokes, dry wit
estj- get along with them but don't reveal myself much
estp- laugh with or at them and allow myself to be laughed at
esfp/isfp- i honestly have no friends of this type
isfj- make jokes, fun fun fun, share serious topics, go do things we're interested in, act silly, share past experiences
intp- exchange puns, humor, and play "ne-pong" as someone dubbed it, occasionally drifting into politcs, philospohy, or our personal lives
istp- don't know any
enfp- joke around, make fun of eachother, share interests, sometimes share past experiences
entp- i only know one so it's not a fair assessment to say

oh woops i did it wrong, it's how i am not how we relate
too much effort to redo, anyways, i'm not really that different, I have a couple sides of myself i bring out depending on situation, quicky summary-
-serious, analytical, tactful self
-quiet, shy, reserved, insecure self
-silly, witty, crazy, fast paced joking self that can step on other's toes
-emotional overflow self

·
Registered
616 Posts
INFP forums start the best threads.
I definitely tone it down around people with HUGE personalities who take no care to hear/care about the people around them, regardless of type. My mom's an ESTJ and I tell her everything, but a friend of mine is an ESTJ and I just let her talk. I love being around my INTJ friends because I know they'll take all my crap. I'm a little crazier around SPs because they can handle it and want to join in!
As to authenticity, my purpose in letting different parts of myself come out around different friends is to try to love them in the best way possible! If inflicting my opinions on my ESTJ friend is just going to cause an argument, I'm not going to do it! She can take the reigns for the day. I always let my ISFJ friend process before she comes out with what she thinks. I try to choose my words carefully and affirm her in her strengths (which are so many). Obviously I'm not going to try to pretend to be someone I'm not. If I just straight up don't get along with someone, I won't pursue their friendship!
Shablamo.
-----Yeah, that's it for me.
-----While I adjust my communication style depending on the other person's type--or, now, the make-up of the group, but I do not adjust my personality. I don't want to get along with people who will only accept me if I pretend I'm not who I am. I act just like myself, and so the friends I attract are attracted by my real self. And me by their real selves. Truth and authenticity: it seems to be a recipe for relational happiness. But that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,520 Posts
I think I'm pretty much one type fits all with most people I meet. 99% pretty quiet I am until I've completed a scan and gathered information on person in front of me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
around ISTJ's I listen to their opinions and sort of mirror their reactions to their own ideas. I'm usually terribly silly around them though.

Other ones are pretty similar though, OP. I tend to always have a slightly different image of myself with everyone I meet. I'm the same person, but my personality sort of changes to accomodate them and either make them comfortable, or give me the ability to understand them more. If we just acted like what's in our heads, I don't know if I'd get along with anyone but NF's and INTP's :tongue:

I'll come back to this thread later :)

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Hahaha that thread made me laugh.

Okay, so here's mine.

INFP's : self sharing, deep, honest, completely myself

INTJ's: sarcastic, dry humor

ISFP's - childlike and silly

ISTJ's branch out to three categories :

• Parents : Serious, responsible, good girl ish, concrete
  • ISTJs on PerC : respectful, a little cautious, nice, introverted
  • Only ISTJ guy I'm close with : All versions of myself

ENFP's : really WILD when we'd go out, we'd almost get kicked out of most places

Those are the only types I'm familiar with :tongue:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
This isn't really fair 0_o Depending on who that person is regarding their position in your life, you might act differently around them. For instance, my best friend and boss may both be ESTJs. When involving my best friend, I curse a lot just for fun, call at 1 am just to see if he even answers and leave voicemails containing a series of weird noises, and sing several Oh Land songs in his car. If I did any of that to my boss, she'd fire me in an instant.

But, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't have to have a job. I could be a hippie, which doesn't really sound too bad. -.- But I act like my real self around my best friend. Maybe this thread should be asking you, what are your friends personality types and how do you act around them? And if you don't act like yourself around anyone, just say, "Fuck it."

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I definitely change, but not because I want them to like me as such but because I want them not to dislike me... if that makes sense.

When talking to STs, I tend to try and be less abstract and I mention more things like sports to find some common conversational ground. When talking to SFs, I'll focus on my fe side and consequently get more extroverted
When talking with xxFPs, I can pull the trigger on Ne and a have a whale of a time
When talking to INxx types, I get more logical, more introverted and more abstract but in a scientific way?

I know that I change, as much to keep people happy as through the mimic effect but what's important to me is the internal consistency is there!

As an aside, I also subconsciously adopt the accent of whoever I'm talking to... weird.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
-----Yeah, that's it for me.
-----While I adjust my communication style depending on the other person's type--or, now, the make-up of the group, but I do not adjust my personality. I don't want to get along with people who will only accept me if I pretend I'm not who I am. I act just like myself, and so the friends I attract are attracted by my real self. And me by their real selves. Truth and authenticity: it seems to be a recipe for relational happiness. But that's just my opinion.
Really simple idea, really hard for me to enact.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
yeah to echo others, threads like these are always generalizations cause of course there two people of the same type can be widely different and your relationship, most of all, affects how you behave with them more than mbti. But I think we all know that so people, stop poo-pooing the fun :( We're writing on the internet not submitting college theses geez.

*but i also totally respect your opinion
**don't get mad at me
***<3 <3

·
Registered
616 Posts
Really simple idea, really hard for me to enact.
-----I totally understand that. Our personality type compels us to seek out relationships of depth, but to coexist in nearly any relationship, we have to make concessions to the other person or group that hamper the expression of who we truly are, which in turn makes it extremely difficult to achieve the desired relational depth. It's the INFP paradox.
-----I'm not saying I have an answer that's right for you, everyone, or even anyone other than myself. It's just that I tried doing it the "fit in" way, and I ended up in destructive relationships with toxic people. That's what happened to me, but that isn't destined to happen to you. You are much younger than I, and you learned about MBTI much earlier than I, and both of those things put you in an advantageous relationship with life.
-----I've find that making friends IRL is difficult because people tend to coalesce around interests first, and then the personality type comes out. So one has to undertake a substantial time investment before finding out who people really are, and the chances of finding something good are low--12.5% to be exact--and even then, the group majority often dictates the suppression of NF traits, which makes it difficult to spot other NFs even if present. So finding other NFs is difficult. The NFs I know now I know because their interest is MBTI.
-----May God, the universe, or nature (or whatever you prefer) be kinder and gentler to you.
-----*I know you are just responding to the idea. I'm responding to your idea of the idea. ; )
yeah to echo others, threads like these are always generalizations cause of course there two people of the same type can be widely different and your relationship, most of all, affects how you behave with them more than mbti. But I think we all know that so people, stop poo-pooing the fun :( We're writing on the internet not submitting college theses geez.
**don't get mad at me
***<3 <3
-----You crack me up! You are so right. Must we really state our assumptions (and the obvious) as prerequisite to every post? I suppose that would end up with our signature lines looking like the fine print on a lawyer-drafted contract. Maybe I need to have a blog post titled: "assumptions and the obvious." Then I could just direct people there who raise a certain kind of objection to posts.
*I hereby incorporate the provisos of adverseaffects' posts as my own and to be applied to this and all future posts, and retroactively to all past posts.

Reactions: perfectcircle

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
*I hereby incorporate the provisos of adverseaffects' posts as my own and to be applied to this and all future posts, and retroactively to all past posts.
PUT THIS AS YOUR SIG
i will be famous!!!!
also now I might incorpoate some catchy sig lawyer lingo...

"Everything I post here was written in the space of several minutes. The longer my post, the worse the quality. Most of my posts are me spilling words out my brain into semi-tangible form, so even if they seem to be directly directed at you, they probably aren't; in this case I expect to take no responsibility to the words I spew! However, sometimes I am directly directing my thoughts to a person, and in that case, I take full responsibility and I will take kindly to being called out on said thoughts. There will be very few distinguishing characteristics. That is all."

^something that would help people out when reading my brain drain
^^not really. irony.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Looking at your list, I am questioning why you put that you act "protective" with ISTPs?
Of the two ISTPs I know (both quite well), I have never found that acting protective around them makes me look better. My hunch is that ISTPs would rather someone act real and honest around them. Not hold anything back, just tell the truth, tell it straight. And no drama. Plus, when you say you are protective, are you protecting them or protecting someone else in front of them? Because of the ones I know, they would definitely not want anyone to protect them. They can do it themselves. Very well.

That's just my take on it. Again, i only know two.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts

**don't get mad at me
***<3 <3
The guy says in the first post that he does the same thing. Not to make it seem like someone should be trying to be a joykill, but I don't think anyone is, considering..what's the alternative? Also, if this thread is asking us how we act in front of all of the personality types, we have no choice but to refer to those who we act different around unless of course you're close with such a wide variety of people and/or you act a certain way with everyone that you meet, and I'm not sure if there are many INFPs who do either of those things. I don't think we're ruining anything >.< but, like I said, I can't really see what else could be said.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
The guy says in the first post that he does the same thing. Not to make it seem like someone should be trying to be a joykill, but I don't think anyone is, considering..what's the alternative? Also, if this thread is asking us how we act in front of all of the personality types, we have no choice but to refer to those who we act different around unless of course you're close with such a wide variety of people and/or you act a certain way with everyone that you meet, and I'm not sure if there are many INFPs who do either of those things. I don't think we're ruining anything >.< but, like I said, I can't really see what else could be said.
Uh oh better pull out the catchy lawyer lingo sig...
this will help me greatly whenever I get in a sticky situation!!
"Everything I post here was written in the space of several minutes. The longer my post, the worse the quality. Most of my posts are me spilling words out my brain into semi-tangible form, so even if they seem to be directly directed at you, they probably aren't; in this case I expect to take no responsibility to the words I spew! However, sometimes I am directly directing my thoughts to a person, and in that case, I take full responsibility and I will take kindly to being called out on said thoughts. There will be very few distinguishing characteristics. That is all."

I'm just playing ^

anyways I didn't mean to refer to you or your posts, I'm actually not all sure what was said above, so I am not exactly sure what you are talking about, but anyhoo, wasn't calling you out.
I was just talking about how there's a thread that calls for generalizations like "how do act around X type" "how does X type act when in love" or basically almost every single thread and ALL of it could be invalidaded by saying, this is a generalization, there are far too many variables. personality typing itself is a generalization based on grouping people based on tendencies, is all I'm saying.~ as for ruining the fun, no, say whatever you want, I don't think anyone ruins the fun, I only tease, only tease <3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts