Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been done yet...

What MBTI Types would best suit the main characters of How I Met Your Mother?

Also, any guesses for the types of characters outside of the main five? (e.g Ranjit)

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say that I almost agree with the blog.
Although I would argue that Ted is more of a feeler. He has very romantic thoughts about how love should be. He's very idealistic (NF) in that sense - something that he shares with Marshall. They all make fun of him for falling in love too quickly or being an I Love You - slut. If he was a thinker, he wouldn't feel so attached to the women he was dating. He'd be more like Barney, but instead he argues that for him to date woman, he has to feel a connection or have something in common with her.

Robin has always been difficult for me to type. But you guys might be right about her being a sensor! She does enjoy very direct humor.. Like the monkey dressed in a suit. Which is also my argument for Lily being a sensor. None of the girls have 'visions' of the future like the guys. Lily is also more of a caretaker than Marshall is.

Marshall is definitely ENFP. He might be a lawyer, but he's not a judger as a person. He also has the clear confidence of a Fi.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Brilliant question!
My first thoughts would be:
Ted; XNFJ - He reminds me so much of myself, only he's a lot more extroverted than I am. But I still think he shows some introverted traits.
Barney; ENTP
Marshall; ENFP
Lily; ESFJ
Robin; INTP.

What do you think?
Barney seems epically J.
Lily seems like P.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hmm....I think all of them are extroverts.

Barney - ESTP or ENTP
Marshall - ENFJ
Lily - ENFP?
Ted - ESFJ
Robin - ESTP?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ted - INFJ
Robin - ISTP
Lily - XNFX
Marshall- INFP
Barney - XNFP. Have none of you seen the episode that deals with Barney's past? He was an idealist, easily-attatched hippie who now tries to emulate some dude who stole his girlfriend. The act he puts up is EXTP though

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ted- definitely INFJ

Barney- INTJ or ENTP, seems N-dominant with T but displays a variety of attributes. Different episodes show alternate sides of the character, even such as the odd one where they decided to make him a hippie in the past. Though he does hint at wounded Fi.

Lily- ENFJ

Marshall- ExFP

Robin- ISTP/INFJ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would say that I almost agree with the blog.
Although I would argue that Ted is more of a feeler. He has very romantic thoughts about how love should be. He's very idealistic (NF) in that sense - something that he shares with Marshall. They all make fun of him for falling in love too quickly or being an I Love You - slut. If he was a thinker, he wouldn't feel so attached to the women he was dating. He'd be more like Barney, but instead he argues that for him to date woman, he has to feel a connection or have something in common with her.

Robin has always been difficult for me to type. But you guys might be right about her being a sensor! She does enjoy very direct humor.. Like the monkey dressed in a suit. Which is also my argument for Lily being a sensor. None of the girls have 'visions' of the future like the guys. Lily is also more of a caretaker than Marshall is.

Marshall is definitely ENFP. He might be a lawyer, but he's not a judger as a person. He also has the clear confidence of a Fi.
I like your thinking. I did write this quite a while ago, so I can understand there are some faults (Ted for example, is definitely a feeler, now that I know MBTI better and the show better.) :)
Hmmm Lily a sensor.. never thought of her as a sensor, I usually see her as intuitive. :p what makes you say that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ted - INFJ
Robin - ISTP
Lily - XNFX
Marshall- INFP
Barney - XNFP. Have none of you seen the episode that deals with Barney's past? He was an idealist, easily-attatched hippie who now tries to emulate some dude who stole his girlfriend. The act he puts up is EXTP though
I agree with you about Barney. He was an NFP! But don't you think that after everything that happened to him, he turned himself NTP? I mean, to him it was a pretty 'traumatic' thing that happened. Such events can change a person's personality - he trying to turn off his emotions because he's had bad experiences with this in the past. So now he has changed himself to an NTP as a way of protecting himself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well because I feel that she belongs to the caretakers instead of with the idealists.
Also, it comes down to her humor and her dreams for the future. An intuitive person would be more concerned with 'good ideas' or abstract ideas, where sensors seem to be creative in a more concrete way - like drawing or in Lily's case painting. They create something that is concrete and present, where a 100 % intuitive person sometimes has to force himself to get his ideas done. To them it's sometimes enough just to get the idea.
It's just a theory of mine - but I feel it makes a lot of sense. Because in this way we need each other. Sensors need Intuitives to come up with original or abstract ideas and Intuitives need Sensors to help them make their idea concrete and real - to get it into the real world so to speak.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I agree with you about Barney. He was an NFP! But don't you think that after everything that happened to him, he turned himself NTP? I mean, to him it was a pretty 'traumatic' thing that happened. Such events can change a person's personality - he trying to turn off his emotions because he's had bad experiences with this in the past. So now he has changed himself to an NTP as a way of protecting himself.
I mean really, that would never actually happen in real life (going from aux Fi to aux Ti), but it makes sense in the realm of sitcoms/fiction. If we're gonna analize him like a real life person, he could have developed extremely strong tertiary Te (Ne - Te loop) as a result of that experience, but I'm not totally sure that he uses Te instead of Ti.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
thought of barney more of an ENTJ. You get to see the softer side to him, but in business and to strangers, he's ruthless.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I mean really, that would never actually happen in real life (going from aux Fi to aux Ti), but it makes sense in the realm of sitcoms/fiction. If we're gonna analyze him like a real life person, he could have developed extremely strong tertiary Te (Ne - Te loop) as a result of that experience, but I'm not totally sure that he uses Te instead of Ti.
Why not? A lot of people switch types throughout their life. I guess you could blame stress. When I was very young, I was strongly ENFP. Some very painful things happened and I turned into INTP/J for 6 years. I'm an ENxP again, but point is personality traits change. If there's a will, there's a way... if someone really, really, badly wants to be different, they'll make it happen.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Why not? A lot of people switch types throughout their life. I guess you could blame stress. When I was very young, I was strongly ENFP. Some very painful things happened and I turned into INTP/J for 6 years. I'm an ENxP again, but point is personality traits change. If there's a will, there's a way... if someone really, really, badly wants to be different, they'll make it happen.
I really, really don't think that's possible at Barney's age. Childhood is a completely different story, you didn't have a type

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I really, really don't think that's possible at Barney's age. Childhood is a completely different story, you didn't have a type.
What age is the limit? Barney was 23 at the time.
Not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely curious.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What age is the limit? Barney was 23 at the time.
Not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely curious.
I mean once you hit highschool or even middle school your dominant functions should be set, that's when you really start to flourish as an individual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ted: INTJ- Ted is quite introverted: he likes to spend time alone and sometimes turns Barney down when he invites him out. With his Ni function, he trusts his instincts, especially with girls. He can tend to go with his gut. However, his Thinking can mean that he makes more rational decisions: he makes lists of pros and cons to do with whether to date a certain girl. Finally, his organisation, which is called into the show several times, leads me to believe that his is a J.

Robin: ISTP- Does this even need explaining? She prefers spending time alone, is extremely logical and NEVER trusts her instincts (well, barely ever), but is very disorganised.

Barney: ENTJ- Innovative with his ideas and organised with how he lays them out and records them, extroverted to the extreme (despite living by himself, which is slightly more introverted). He doesn't tend to trust his heart (except for when it comes to Robin).

Marshall: ENFJ

Lily: ENFP

1 - 20 of 115 Posts