Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much it, and the whole world is likely to go that way as consumerism takes hold more and more. Currently it's more of a Western problem, but now most other nations are being rapidly drawn into the individualistic and judgemental mindset that consumerist culture creates. We don't care for our fellow man. We only care to judge him. As long as you look and act like that guy you see in the movies, the billboard posters and the sports car adverts, everything well be ok. And ladies, don't forget to dress like the celebrities in the fashion pages of the hottest magazines. And ostracise everyone who's a bit different!

Fuck, in consumerist cultures, even people who help each other are only doing it for self-gratification. 'Oh I'm so great, I helped someone today!'

That's how I feel about modern society, anyway.

:happy:

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a great cartoon! I think that much of society is addicted to criticizing and complaining as a way of 1) achieving a supposedly higher "moral" ground while 2) running away from potential responsibilities and their personal insecurities.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great cartoon! I think that much of society is addicted to criticizing and complaining as a way of 1) achieving a supposedly higher "moral" ground while 2) running away from potential responsibilities and their personal insecurities.
I think you are giving people too much credit. People bitch because they can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you are giving people too much credit. People bitch because they can.
One must remain somewhat optimistic ;) Otherwise you end up with a one-way ticket to crazytown, which doesn't always work out so well (personal experience :p).

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One must remain somewhat optimistic ;) Otherwise you end up with a one-way ticket to crazytown, which doesn't always work out so well (personal experience :p).
I don't agree with that. As long as you use your pessimism and cynicism productively having an abundance of them isn't problematic.

I use my deep amount of negativity to make people and myself happier if that makes any sense. I do hate optimism though. It always seems like a front or a "mask".

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't agree with that. As long as you use your pessimism and cynicism productively having an abundance of them isn't problematic.

I use my deep amount of negativity to make people and myself happier if that makes any sense. I do hate optimism though. It always seems like a front or a "mask".
It depends on your definition of "pessimism" and "cynicism". I think what you're talking -- "constructive" pessimism, etc. -- is what I would define as rationality. I'm a big fan of that, just as I'm a big fan of rational optimism and rational pessimism. Does that make sense? Rationality is productive and constructive.

So just as it's true that some people bitch because they can, I like to give others some credit that they're bitching because they're running away from something or because they're misinformed. These people have the potential to change for the better. I've done it myself, "seen the light", and chosen to be more constructive with my life.

I consider "pure" pessimism to be depressive, hopeless, fatalistic thinking. It's a cul-de-sac, and one has no intention to take action. That's not conducive to anybody -- neither to yourself and your mental health, nor to society. And yes, despite their foibles, I care about the earth and the living organisms that inhabit it.

Reactions: Arya and Echoe

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
That's a terrific cartoon that describes the situation well. And the cartoon itself also proves that that's not all there is to it, since at least the cartoonist and all of us who enjoy it are (I assume) not part of that particular trend in society.

I would also hazard a guess that the guy who did the cartoon has a fuller and more happy life than the average person conforming to the stereotype he is making fun of. They may even be in the majority, but we don't have to be with them or be like them. The global trend towards plurarchy also means that the sort of person depicted will be an even bigger loser in the future. In network based plurarchies, that is exactly the sort of person that is sifted out, because they add no value to the network.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That cartoon is great. Someone will always find a reason to take a shot, if for no other reason than that they need something to do with their time. Political pundits are a great example of this.
This is so true. It seems like no matter what solution or system or society you setup, there's always criticism. You can't not do something because of criticism - there's always criticism.

It's also true about human nature about the need for people to criticize or bring other people down. Some people even enjoy it like political pundits.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@CynicalGiant, seems to me you like Juha (the author), Juha was a wise man who have many philosophical small anecdotes just like this one. His stories were told to me when I was a child. They were my favorite

Now on topic.

Yes,you can't please anybody and if you even try to,you will definitely be miserable and depressed your whole life doing so. Actually the picture represents my attitude toward life in the past. I tried not to do anything my parents(that includes society) will criticize or hate me for, I was a good boy,I followed their advice etc. Then I realized how fucked up I'm and how I wasted my life for people who brainwashed me to just be their good obedient son, who is always close to them. I don't care whether they did this for love or selfishness , but I decided I will do whatever I see right because people will always criticize me and find flaws in what I do.

Universally speaking, thats why most people hate their governments or people that are different from them. There are 6 billion people on this planet most of them will have different opinion and will see the flaws in everything even if it doesn't affect them.

Criticizing is the problem, the disaster on the other hand is that people will usually criticize for no reason or they criticize but they don't offer a solution to the problem.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
This is so true. It seems like no matter what solution or system or society you setup, there's always criticism. You can't not do something because of criticism - there's always criticism.

It's also true about human nature about the need for people to criticize or bring other people down. Some people even enjoy it like political pundits.
I agree that there will always be people who get their emotional satisfaction from criticizing others but it is not a universal trait, and I'm sure you can have systems or communities that are free from low-content or nonconstructive criticism.

The current democratic paradigm and sensationalist trend just tends to highlight it. As society becomes more plurarchial and meritocratic, that sort of feedback will be filtered from any serious network.

People who whine or give useless feedback only get attention because our current structures allows it. Criticizing others needlessly or in a nonconstructive way is the “path of least resistance” to protecting ones self esteem. If you're not contributing or creating, you can try to indirectly raise your status by criticizing those who do. But by doing so you are basically labeling yourself as a loser with low self esteem, and even though you may be able to devalue someone else your own value will decrease in the long term, even though you may get some temporary brownie points from other losers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much it, and the whole world is likely to go that way as consumerism takes hold more and more. Currently it's more of a Western problem, but now most other nations are being rapidly drawn into the individualistic and judgemental mindset that consumerist culture creates. We don't care for our fellow man. We only care to judge him. As long as you look and act like that guy you see in the movies, the billboard posters and the sports car adverts, everything well be ok. And ladies, don't forget to dress like the celebrities in the fashion pages of the hottest magazines. And ostracise everyone who's a bit different!
That sounds like all the fundamental characterizations of an individualistic meritocracy based society. When meritocracy/individualism is the primary foundation of a society people not only place more of an emphasis on themselves and their accomplishments but it creates a win/lose dynamic in the society in which "the winners" are not only judgmental towards one another and "the losers" but people become less empathetic toward one another and people are expected to fend for themselves. If they can't..they are considered "lazy","losers" or "bums". No matter how hard people try they can expect to be judged and micromanaged by the "the winners" who happen to maintain a degree of control over the society in which people are involved.

Reactions: Negativity Bias
1 - 20 of 21 Posts