Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I find that I'm not particularly imaginative unless I have some starting point and ending point such a programming. I can be insanely creative in problem solving, but any other context and it's like that Ne flavor is gone. Great for jokes. Not so great for having any kind of real personality beyond jokes. It's either a couple jokes, or straight logic. Seems like I'd be pretty boring tbh because I don't know how to entertain my Ne without my Ti taking out a revolver and shooting it before it can even start to look outside of reality. I can obviously use my imagination to illustrate something that I'm talking about, such as a concept, but certainly no internal world building something like https://www.google.com/search?q=ego+world+guardians+of+the+galaxy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj87fD6zbHYAhWE8CYKHTCaCdYQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=t8wVucBkQlchRM:

and no thinking of fantasy like d&d story lines or anything like that. I mean genuinely it feels like my personality is quite bland. I mean you take an INTP substract Ne and that leaves you with essentially Ti as an enormously overbearing function where I never go beyond internal coherence and just play around. My Ti sees something that isn't coherent and assumes it's Lenny from mice and men. It's like "alright little buddy, I see where you're coming from but it's time to turn around now. Look at the river."

If you tell me what to imagine...sure I can imagine it clear as day, I just can't tend to come up with anything myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I browse the internet, and I find myself imaginative.
Does that count? :D

Well I'm imaginative but I need some reference to spark my interest, every author, mechanic, or artist need some reference to spark their imagination.

You need starting point? There's lot of way to spark it, for example walking around, eating good food, workout, browsing internet, books, talking with people, etc.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I am very imaginative and creative and have been since I was a young child. My friends and family have always told me that I had a very unique and vivid imagination, which is why I have always many tasks involving imagination and outside the box thinking are very easy for me.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
when you are stuck inside a box of coherency, your beliefs are just continually reinforced until there is no way to see anything new from a different point of view. It's probably what the dunning-kruger effect is referring to. Being trapped in an echo chamber of self reinforced understanding. It shouldn't be so difficult to challenge a world view since our capacity to understand existence for what it is is so insanely limited. We are all groping around in the dark; we only just came down from the trees.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
"We are all groping around in the dark; we only just came down from the trees."
Well, we did get some cool gadgets, the sticks now are smartphones. Throwing them is still possible, but still not smart.
It's just, some of us still are used to old habits, and will be. I think it's, nature, and I also think it is, fine in a way.
Imagine how much we'd have f'd, if we did have say 5% less of that nature, and 5% more 'innovative revolutions'.
We'd likely kill the entire solar system instead of just our own habitat.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Well, we did get some cool gadgets, the sticks now are smartphones. Throwing them is still possible, but still not smart.
It's just, some of us still are used to old habits, and will be. I think it's, nature, and I also think it is, fine in a way.
Imagine how much we'd have f'd, if we did have say 5% less of that nature, and 5% more 'innovative revolutions'.
We'd likely kill the entire solar system instead of just our own habitat.
The neat glowing touch sticks are hardly representative of all of us though - I mean how much of the population actually understands how it works? There are brief moments of punctuated insight throughout human history, and then somehow we manage to write it down (which itself was a brief insight that worked) so that it can be replicated - but not necessarily understood. I use to be awe struck at how dramatically we are at the top of the food chain and are so different from animals, but on closer inspection when you get rid of inherited insight (where some insects can technically do it more efficiently anyway) the difference between human and animal blurs a lot.

As for the innovative revolutions point, you're probably right to an extent. Look at the world wars, it could be argued there was too much advancement taking place. Then you get lord of the rings and desire for power etc. I don't want to say it's that black and white, but it's not exactly wrong either.

Reactions: Reynir

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm am and not am imaginative. I really like to - and have some ability at - disconstruct structures and use the symbolisms of things to make and express a new idea, which is basically a bit of expressing what was heard/seen/felt in a different way or - if I'm particularly inspired - to play with perceptions. But as I said, unlike some people, I can't conjure images from nothing (or random things that are not logically linked to other stuff) or formulate concrete fictional situations in my mind, I think I lack empathy for that. I guess I could say I'm creative, but not imaginative, if it makes any sense.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am very imaginative. I can easily get lost in it. I have been like that since I was very young. For most of my life, I've been able to come up with witty jokes, been able to think outside the box to the point that the box doesn't exist for me, and play out hypothetical scenarios in my head. The only times I have not been imaginative are a couple times when I was in very poor mental health. Short depressive episodes can stifle my imagination somewhat, but not as severely as those times.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I find that I'm not particularly imaginative unless I have some starting point and ending point such a programming. I can be insanely creative in problem solving, but any other context and it's like that Ne flavor is gone. Great for jokes. Not so great for having any kind of real personality beyond jokes. It's either a couple jokes, or straight logic. Seems like I'd be pretty boring tbh because I don't know how to entertain my Ne without my Ti taking out a revolver and shooting it before it can even start to look outside of reality. I can obviously use my imagination to illustrate something that I'm talking about, such as a concept, but certainly no internal world building something like https://www.google.com/search?q=ego+world+guardians+of+the+galaxy&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj87fD6zbHYAhWE8CYKHTCaCdYQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=t8wVucBkQlchRM:

and no thinking of fantasy like d&d story lines or anything like that. I mean genuinely it feels like my personality is quite bland. I mean you take an INTP substract Ne and that leaves you with essentially Ti as an enormously overbearing function where I never go beyond internal coherence and just play around. My Ti sees something that isn't coherent and assumes it's Lenny from mice and men. It's like "alright little buddy, I see where you're coming from but it's time to turn around now. Look at the river."

If you tell me what to imagine...sure I can imagine it clear as day, I just can't tend to come up with anything myself.
what you feel subjectively is not who you are objectively.

What you wrote required a good imagination and I feel like I’m part of your world now.

i realised a relationship with someone could be a source of inspiration for creativity and originality. inspiration can sometimes come from outside yourself.

Most importantly, how you describe the world will be your experience of it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Extremely imaginitive. When I was really young, I used to think everyone had these thoughts jar into their head and then a story start to grow out in both directions. I will be somewhere like on a trail all alone, at a restaurant with interesting architcture, on a street seeing people interact, etc. and something triggers my imagination, and the next thing it's like I'm seeing a scene from a movie playing out in my head, then the story and characters for the context of that scene expands to hold it, of course triggering more scenes.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
It comes and goes. Sometimes something will trigger my imagination and I can go off and daydream for an hour straight or come up with all kinds of creative ideas. I can't trigger it manually though, so it often happens that I need to be creative and can't come up with anything.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Yeah, that's why I can't do art. Because there's literally no point to it so my brain doesn't bother.

Unless there are specifications to what needs to be achieved I'm not going to come up with much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i don't really know how you define imaginative. i daydream a lot, but struggle to come up with original ideas when asked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts