Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is fashion to you, specifically with regards to what you wear? How much attention do you take to choosing the clothes you wear, our outfit, how it reflects on your personality? Whether it's 'in' or not. Is it a major part of your life?

I like the idea of fashion as art, but personally I don't think I pay much attention. Aside from liking bright colours my fashion sense is pretty 'normal' I think. I only tend to buy clothes if I have to, like if they're wearing out or don't fit me. I use to wear a lot of band/music T-shirts, now more souvenir ones from my travels. I wouldn't mind trying more out there styles, but at the end of the day, it's more about convenience and comfort. I feel fashion today - especially male fashion - is a bit dull and uncreative, not like the 60s or 70s or something lol. There are things I focus on a lot more. In this culture fashion is seen as more a female domain (which is silly, really), so I realise the answers will have a gender bias.

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
I'm not sure how "important" fashion is to me but I make sure I look good if I leave the house and I look pretty good in the house, too. For someone who has a relatively androgynous appearance, I have a few bespoke suits that I wear to work when I have to and I like my top hats. I collect them and wear them on occasion, as well. I'm not all that fond of wearing jewelry, but I've designed it before. I don't wear it much other than a couple of rings and a pocket watch as wrist watches annoy me to no end. Being what has been described as an eccentric person, I would have to agree that my style of dress is highly reflective of my personality. It's quirky, like me. There are things I have to watch out for, though, since I'm an aspie and have sensory issues. I've actually taken to making some of my own clothes due to not being able to wear certain fabrics and I'm tall, so finding things with long enough legs or torso is spotty at best. I also really like my Scottish clothing and skirts are nice. I've got the legs, so why not? I wouldn't consider it a major part of my life, but it's something I enjoy.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,935 Posts
Scale of 1-10, maybe 6.
I try to look nice and not un-fashionable and there are a few companies or fashion blogs I will follow, but it's not really important to me. I'd be just as happy without it and it's one of those things I sometimes have a brief interest in but otherwise have to remind myself to notice.
If I think a popular fashion is ugly I will ignore it. I care more about style. I do most of my shopping on Modcloth, Nordstrom (for shoes, perfume, or more expensive items) or my local department store.

5,146 Posts
How important is fashion to you, specifically with regards to what you wear? How much attention do you take to choosing the clothes you wear, our outfit, how it reflects on your personality? Whether it's 'in' or not. Is it a major part of your life?

I like the idea of fashion as art, but personally I don't think I pay much attention. Aside from liking bright colours my fashion sense is pretty 'normal' I think. I only tend to buy clothes if I have to, like if they're wearing out or don't fit me. I use to wear a lot of band/music T-shirts, now more souvenir ones from my travels. I wouldn't mind trying more out there styles, but at the end of the day, it's more about convenience and comfort. I feel fashion today - especially male fashion - is a bit dull and uncreative, not like the 60s or 70s or something lol. There are things I focus on a lot more. In this culture fashion is seen as more a female domain (which is silly, really), so I realise the answers will have a gender bias.
Well, I hate mainstream fashion with passion because it does some horrible things to clothing choices available. For example I used to wear elegant shoes all the time until one day they all started looking like this:
shoes.jpg
For a long time it was virtually impossible to buy any that have normal shape. I'm not sure if it's possible again because I wear only combat boots or sandals nowadays. Combat boots are starting to annoy me because last two pairs are painful to walk in. To make it worse the last pair is from a company that usually made ultra-comfortable combat boots. Sigh. Sometimes I wish I could afford to have more than one pair or something...

Also, there's a tendency to build clothes to be impractical/cumbersome/unhealthy and attach some special status to them. It's a vile heresy that needs to be rooted out using any methods necessary. Preferably using swords and red hot pokers.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I enjoy the premise of fashion in theory, not that I research it extensively, just that I enjoy its aesthetic and seemingly endless combination :)

I try to spice it up with novelty jewelry pieces (e.g. leafy rings, necklaces shaped like foxes, ancient coin earrings)
But... for the most part, I just enjoy window shopping or pinterest perusal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not much really, I have a very normal style. I don't think much about what I wear. Once in a while I see a photo of really cool actor /footballer/musician and get inspired to develop a similar style but I'm just too lazy to shop.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'm either dressed to impress or homeless, grunge kid wandering the streets. There is no in between. When I do dress up, I wear professional attire with a unique flair. Blazers with shorts and wedges, sometimes adding a band tee underneath. My therapist likes to call it my "countercultural business" look. On my more casual days, I wear tees or tank tops under flannel shirts with jeans and docs.

When I have more time to get ready and/or I feel extremely confident about my appearance, I walk out of my house like I'm in a fashion show. Rushing to get ready usually results in people mistakening me for a rebellious teenager.

Regarding what's currently trendy, I could care less about following what's in. As long as my outfit looks decent to me and fits how I want others to perceive me, I'm content with my wardrobe choices.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I dress to express myself, and that's it. I don't give two negative shits about fashion, thank you very much.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Fashion never used to be important to me until I started dating fashionable guys, then well you've got to meet the standard of style I suppose. People are herd creatures, you have to keep up with the herd if you want to be there. And I do like guys who care about their appearance to that degree. So.....And then once I started looking into it more, I did actually enjoy dressing to a standard instead of bumming around looking ordinary. It's not that I enjoy following trends, I just like looking my best and there are some very nice clothes in the high end labels.

So call me a convert. So saying that, I'm not a fashion whore. I generally choose pieces with classic lines and accessorise. But my own aesthetic is classic/eclectic so I stick with choices that reflect that.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My clothes are usually not directly fashionable nor are they out of fashion. I wear whatever I want but I do have sort of a distinct pattern I follow, I for example wear skirts as much as possible and if I meet up with a friend and wear jeans they'll express their confusion for sure. Anyway, I do pay quite a lot of attention to my appearance, I'd rather not go to the city looking horrible (no make up is fine but I need to have proper clothes) but I'm always willing to be flexible if needed.

I'd guess that fashion affects the way I dress in a sense that I often buy clothes from trendy stores, although I like experimenting with different combinations. I've been told that at the same time I dress like everyone else and still manage to do it in my own way?

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I care about how I look,but it's more focused on my body and face and just looking nice than on clothes.
Like,I work out,my hair is always clean,I always wear makeup,my nail polish is never chipped,but as far as clothes go I could spend all summer in shorts,white tank top and flip flops.
Of course,I like having nice things and always try to have with me one thing that stands out but it's not the most important thing to me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
8.5/10
Fashion is very important.
It gives and exudes confidence.
It helps in getting things done.
Fashion should be conflated with comfort.
I follow all the latest trends, I am aware of them. That does not mean that I will buy it all, because I know exactly which styles/colours compliment and work with my body type, build and skin tone.
It defines who I am, I judge people by what they are wearing. Judging doesn't correlate with negativity.
I have often been told that I have a very good eye for details and a good aesthetic taste; I match the appropriate patterns/colours and give my opinion to my friends when asked.
My perception of what's 'right' in fashion changes as time goes by, as does everybody else's. But mine is more rooted I'd say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I work in the fashion industry :) Its a very colourful industry and also the people I meet along the way are all bonkers but thats why I love it... I dress kind of casual, I'm a skinny jeans and Vans kind of girl, I dont really wear the latest trends, I prefer to dress what I feel comfortable in and I let my work do the talking.

**I like my make up and nails done nicely though! Wouldnt leave the house without abit of mascara on and washed hair. Love abit of lipstick

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I care a lot about my appearance because I'm quite vain, so fashion is, naturally, important to me. I follow trends that I find appealing and interesting, don't care as much about what other people think is cool, though I do try to avoid wearing things that are "out". Overall, I take a lot of style inspiration from other people, but I personalize it to fit myself and I especially enjoy taking fashion risks.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
656 Posts
I used to be dandy-ish. I don't know if I outgrew it or what. Plus, I think society is getting stupider and stupider and I don't think there is much need to care about your appearance anymore.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't care for it. If I find something nice I'll wear it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't really find fashion to be that important for me, but I do try to attempt and dress differently every day. I like to try out most fashions every once in a while though I mostly dress simply without accessories most of the time.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts