Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes find when I'm writing serious stuff on here, that I still add something funny-ish because that's what pops into my mind during/while the serious is going on. I find the two compatible. Humor keeps me afloat. Helps me be cheerful even when things are tough. Also keeps my relationships happy if things are rough. Do you employ humor and in what areas of your life do you find it useful?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I kind of take it for granted. I notice other people say I'm funny, but I personally don't value it as much as other things (like in that Fi-thread), at least not anymore. I mean, I was outgoing-but-quiet as a child, never a leader, so being funny at 13-14 was a big deal for me becoming that personality that at that time I craved, though I guess that's normal at that age.. But I think by early 20s or so it just became second nature. I used to get a kick out of making people laugh, now it's just "kinda nice", I just do it almost out of habit.. I made my housemates piss themselves with laughter last night- we had starshaped sparklers (for bonfire night) and we were all standing in a circle trying to light our own off the first one we lit, and I shouted "Through the Power of FRIENDSHIP!!".

I'm always going to be funny, but my social intuition is the bigger variable if that makes sense, and therefore I care more about that. I prefer it when I do something socially intelligent or empathetic, but I guess I wouldn't want to suddenly lose it either. I dunno, I guess it helps me make friends and helps with dating, etc. but it used to be my 1st focus whereas now like I said I don't really think about it, it's just a thing that happens.

My favourite genre is still comedy shows/movies so I guess that says a lot.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
98% of the time.

Once in awhile I want to be totally serious -- and am; but I can also find a joke to liven up just about any occasion.

What bothers me most is when others lack a sense of humor; any kind of negative, forceful intensity makes me uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I rarely have a completely serious tone... Even with arguments or important discussions you can use humour as a tool to make a point of view seem ridiculous. I rarely consciously think "I'm trying to be funny", I've never considered myself a comedian but I can make friends laugh with a silly comment.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I really think Ne and comedy go hand in hand, and possibly Se as well. To be able to make the smallest things humorous, even a change in facial gesture could be made to appear humorous. To be able to lighten up the darkest and most stressful periods with a bit of humor is always a plus in any book. And of course, it's an attractive quality in both genders.

However, it of course has it's downsides, one being that you usually can't turn this passive trait off. While you wish to be serious, a bit of humor leaks into your output, possibly making you lose credibility, or who knows, maybe even improve it with your relaxed demeanor. Another is the stereotype that a comedian should immediately be dismissed as the village fool while the most quiet is hung up to be the most educated. While in most cases this may be true, don't use our good humor to your advantage, Ne-Doms hold no lack of curiousity for the world around us. And a questioning mind is a brilliant one.

I for one think Voltaire would be proud of us if we were only to use this humor constructively and in an organized manner. But fart jokes, y'know?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think humor become a very valuable skill in inter-personal relations, especially love and family relations. Like I know for me it's just THERE, but what if it wasn't? We know this super serious couple and after we see them my husband and I are always thanking each other for the next hour. "Honey thank you that I don't have to come home to THAT!"
Every day when my husband comes home (he's got swing shift), I'm like: "I get to see Sean!" When I'm worried or disgusted with something I know I can count on my husband for teasing that comes across as affection to make me laugh. I ran across an essay of my daughter's describing our family a while back and in it she said, "Laughing is really important in my family. We love laughing together and we love being funny.' and I hadn't thought of it being a family identity, but it makes me know our kids feel family togetherness from it. And family togetherness is associated with better grades, less substance abuse, yada yada. ENFP humor FTW! It's a skill and should never be taken for granted. Sometimes I think we don't talk nearly enough about inter-personal skills paving the way to happiness.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Humor is the lifeblood or my long term (21 yr) relationship - we laugh SO MUCH together and lovingly with/at each other - it's what saves us really.

I love friends i can laugh with and make me snort out loud. I need humor as much as I need serious conversation and in-depth sharing of your deepest darkest secrets.

Humor is gold. Make me laugh and I instantly feel a connection with you.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,338 Posts
I think most of my post are humorous unless I'm being scientific and then I might put on my very serious nerd cape and wear it proudly.

In areas I'm not being dead serious, I embellish with gifs or memes that I like because I like visual props. If I'm not being funny to others I'm certainly giggling on my side of it. I know I can have a weird since of humor that I can laugh at. I love laughter. Though favorite genre would be sci-fi or a good adventure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts