Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
How important would you consider external/superficial attractiveness to be?

Say, perhaps as a percentage, what ratio would you choose for personality/internal vs superficial in terms of how you are attracted to them and why?

I'd be interested to know what the average tally would be depending on MBTI type also.
I consider the whole person. I don't slice them up like that. I'm a highly attractive person and I'm glad I've a partner who's the same.

·
Banned
2,904 Posts

Say, perhaps as a percentage, what ratio would you choose for personality/internal vs superficial in terms of how you are attracted to them and why?

I'd be interested to know what the average tally would be depending on MBTI type also.
Here's the problem. I'm going to give you a number and that number is going to mean nothing. Then you go on with your day with one more meaningless data point to skew your worldview. Here's a more accurate answer: People care more or less about looks depending on a variety of variables from age, sex, background, etc. To figure out a pattern, your best bet is to observe people, but since you asked about MBTI type, I can infer that you're trying to see if there is a correlation between MBTI type and the importance of physical attraction.

I'd think that those types that primarily experience life through their senses would find physical attractiveness more important because as one who experiences the world through the senses, why have your senses assaulted by something you didn't find beautiful? But at the same time, perhaps the novelty of physical beauty wears off for these types and thus they actually find physical attractiveness less important. The same could be said in opposite of inuitives and there are plenty of arguments to state that regardless of whether you are a sensor or intuitive, there are other letters at play here than just S or N.

If you're looking for that correlation, then I would have just framed the question that way and directed it at someone who is more well versed in MBTI theory. But in the end, I don't think finding patterns on the internet will help much because this is not the real world. Any patterns you find will not serve you that well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's the problem. I'm going to give you a number and that number is going to mean nothing. Then you go on with your day with one more meaningless data point to skew your worldview. Here's a more accurate answer: People care more or less about looks depending on a variety of variables from age, sex, background, etc. To figure out a pattern, your best bet is to observe people, but since you asked about MBTI type, I can infer that you're trying to see if there is a correlation between MBTI type and the importance of physical attraction.

I'd think that those types that primarily experience life through their senses would find physical attractiveness more important because as one who experiences the world through the senses, why have your senses assaulted by something you didn't find beautiful? But at the same time, perhaps the novelty of physical beauty wears off for these types and thus they actually find physical attractiveness less important. The same could be said in opposite of inuitives and there are plenty of arguments to state that regardless of whether you are a sensor or intuitive, there are other letters at play here than just S or N.

If you're looking for that correlation, then I would have just framed the question that way and directed it at someone who is more well versed in MBTI theory. But in the end, I don't think finding patterns on the internet will help much because this is not the real world. Any patterns you find will not serve you that well.
That was not the primary objective, it was more a side point.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Physical attractiveness definitely matters in my experience, I don't care what anyone says.

When I'm in good shape women are automatically more attentive to me, I notice they initiate more conversations with me for no reason, and it generally just changes everything. I can tell from the manner they look at me, I would walk down the street and occasionally women would make a googly eyed face at me, as opposed to when I'm out of shape I know for a fact that very same person wouldn't even hold eye contact with me.

It's not just for romantic/sexual interest either, when I'm in shape strangers on the street will automatically have a more positive reaction to me if I interact with them in passing, people smile more immediately when I haven't even said anything, and if I go into a new workplace people think I'm way more competent than I actually am. People I meet want to befriend me more when I haven't even shown my personality whereas when I've been out of shape it feels like I have to be the funniest guy in the group to get the same attention.

Yes, it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
It is important, but the attraction itself is not purely in the superficial, as it's not in the personality either, but the combination of several different elements, rather than just two dimensions. Someone can be physically attractive and have a wonderful personality, yet there is no chemistry. It's all about the dynamics between people, affected by everything.

Vague answers club, represent!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

Upon first impression for potential romantic partner- as much as I hate to admit it - someone older than I am , has a career and physically attractive will attract me more than somebody who doesn’t have all those qualities

However if I were to crush from afar then not so much( and for my case Ive always crushed from afar )
I tend to be attracted to how a person talks and how much connection/chemistry we shared with one another . I wasn’t physically attracted to my husband when we’ve gotten together 15 years ago ( and it was almost instantly , I lost my phone he found it - asked me out the next time we hung out ) I was strongly attracted to his charisma /sense of humor and how he plays along with my randomness

Reactions: Fennel

·
Registered
98 Posts
INTP

Physical attractiveness is important to me to some degree. I mean it's not your personality I see first, it's your body. If you're not good looking, then you should at least look clean, look like you take good care of yourself.

But after we pass that point, it's your personality that matters. Physical attractiveness is a treat to the eye, but nice personality is a treat to my mental health

·
Code Cracked
7,650 Posts
ESTP and I tend to be attracted to eyes. Very manly energy or physically metro sexual. The look/energy screaming I will pin you against a wall and fuck your brains out. There is an under the surface that intrigues me.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Not very. I can say it matters somewhat as I can't imagine getting attracted to 90 year olds no matter how how much I appreciate other things about them.

I feel like I have been looked at as strange in relationships because it's not important to me so I never really thought to bring it up which led to in future situations trying to show physical interest in a way which ended up feeling fake. Because when it comes to what makes me actually like someone it's not going to be some physical attributes.

Edit: If this is about MBTI type, by letters INTP or INFP and by functions probably more like INFP or INTJ mainly because it kind of kills me inside to apply logical principles to things which aren't inherently logical but some versions of INTP are relatable enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Physical attractiveness is important to me in an intimate relationship, because it's that intimacy that enables me to be naturally interested and have a fulfilling relationship.

It's facial structure, skin and grooming that spark the inital attraction. But it's their personality that keeps the relationship fulfilling and sustainable. I dated someone I found absolutely beautiful for 6 months hoping for a meaningful relationship, but the personality wasn't there or compatible so I ended it.

INFJ

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even the most magnificent rose withers, yet even past its prime it can be a beautiful sight. The soul of a rose is not only its physical beauty but its less tangible qualities such as its flair for romance, its dashes of passion, and its ability to pull at your heartstrings in such a manner that can leave you breathless asking for more or bring tears to your eyes.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,428 Posts
Physical attraction or sexual attraction.. Sexual attraction, it is important -- but medicore/lack of physical attraction can be overriden for sexual attraction, a male with lots of sex appeal & confidence but somewhat hideous to look at I could probably reduce to his dick so long as I never have to look at him in the face -- somewhat ugly/dirty males are inherently more masculine to me. Not objectively ugly like no chin & drool, more like subjectively ugly. Like just not a good looking male but still rusty & dirty in the hands.

There was one male I couldn't kiss or look at in the face because I found him unattractive -- but I found his confidence/deep voice + other sexy traits attractive & kept reducing him to a sex object & his dick. I didn't want to touch anything else on him. I told him I couldn't do it long-term because I just could not deal with his face. It was purely just coitus I could do with him & get all this tension out. I could not see myself looking at his face & kissing up on him or being with him. His face was just something I did not want to see all the time. Just not good looking.

There have been some male(s) I have reduced/objectified down to nothing but their dick(s). Those are the ones you have to be somewhat drunk & can only take it from behind. I wasn't attracted to them physically -- but they were not ugly enough to repulsive.

Lack of physical attraction makes long-term impossible but sex can still occur. No sexual attraction but physical attraction is impossible. I will never want to have coitus -- they are just non-sexual to me. Like attractive gay males. No sexual attraction or physical attraction is just bad all around. Just an attractive 'handsome' looking male is going to get me gushing. Perhap(s) if he does something sexy. I tend to assume most 10/10 model looking men are gay. That is probably why some 10/10 looking dude would have to do something 'else' for me to feel sexually attracted.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts

INFx.

Er, I don't think anything is superficial? You might think judging people by looks is superficial, but it's pretty much subconscious and hardwired, I can't help it. A lot of this is cultural and some of it is based on my own experience. For example, very tall people, or very white or very dark people make me scared and nervous. Obviously because I'm used to brown-asian types who are shorter than six feet, and I've been around those all my life. It sounds very racist when I say it, but it's instinctive to me. Consciously, intellectually speaking, it shouldn't matter to me what the height, skin color, or nationality a person has. But on some level, it does. I don't want to put a percentage on this, because my sort of "racism" is wrong and I know it, but it's there.

As far as preferences go, it's hard to me to describe, even to analyze for myself, why I like who I like as a friend or a potential partner. It is much easier for me to look at this the other way around, say, take a group of people, and eliminate the ones with traits that I don't like, until I'm left with people I am willing to tolerate + people I actually like.

Disliking certain behaviors of people has a lot to do with past conditioning and cultural influences. I don't see this as superficial, but might be unnecessarily limiting. For example, I can't stand people who are very talkative or loud/opinionated/pushy. There are certain tones of voice that immediately tick me off. Also, flashy clothing ticks me off.
I don't like smokers, but drinking is okay.
I also don't feel comfortable with people who don't have a certain level of education (somewhere around high school and familiar with some classic or musical literature).
I don't like techies, the kind that always buy the newest gadgets and talk about their stats all day.

I know this is all so arbitrary and most of it is because I simply haven't learned how to deal with certain kinds of people. I don't want to justify these discriminations, so I try to go out of my comfort zone from time to time. But I also know that I need to seek out people who don't trigger any bad reactions, who I can feel comfortable with without so much effort on my part.

Attraction is a lot more than comfort though. There are people who I've been attracted to precisely because they don't make me feel too comfortable. I find them interestingly different from other people, and challenging in a good way. Attraction is never a static thing for me, so I can't say I like this type of person 100%.

The word that best describes a person I'm attracted to would be "fresh", and the meaning of that changes every day, every moment... so it's "freshness/challenge" vs. "comfort/familiarity/reliability". It depends on my mood, but personally I like to be more emotionally adventurous and I get bored easily, so it's around 75% freshness and 25% comfort. That means I might date a tall techie if they're not too loud and I find admirable traits in them that I can learn from.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If I don't like their personality or feel a connection, they can be the most beautiful person on earth and I would know that they were beautiful and I wouldn't care. I do have a few looks oriented pet peeves so that has something to say, but I have also found that if I have feelings then I'm willing to compromise some of them. I would say personality 80% and looks 20%. I have also observed that I tend to fall more for the geeky and more natural looking guy/girl. I wouldn't reject someone based on their looks before getting to know them, but I also need to be with someone I don't need to put a bag over their head in order to get turned on.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Honestly, not that much. It's the person inside that counts. It's the chemistry you both feel (and I'm not talking about PUA chemistry- "fake/artificially induced" manipulative type chemistry- that's so lame).

When you're open to experiencing people as "people" for who they are, the floodgates open and life is so much better when people are open to new experiences. Why judge others based on notions that don't seem to benefit you or society, in general. I can walk past an Abercrombie & Fitch model and feel more attracted to a regular Joe sitting in the corner minding his/her own business not trying to flaunt their abs or bosoms. There's a certain level of attraction about people when they're not trying (or at least they're who they are- and that's attractive in and of itself).

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,592 Posts
It's not too important to me, I guess. The more skin that is shown and the more I get to touch increases attractiveness. More reward points are earned for the reservedness of the subject. I guess you could say I'm opportunistic.

Looking across a room at people, I would pick out the attractive ones and maybe want to talk to them (if I was single). It never seemed to matter who I thought was attractive. Only if I looked attractive enough for them to introduce themselves to me. So I guess that's why I'm opportunistic.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Relatively unimportant. There is a small degree to which it is, but I have a tendency to find a person physically attractive or unattractive based on their personality. I seem to associate their traits with their appearance and then am either attracted or repulsed based on that.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
6,996 Posts
Everyone is superficial to an extent. Who dates a person who is much less attractive than themselves? And who feels confident to ask someone out if they believe they're "out of their league?"

Personally I can find people attractive, but nothing more than that. Attractiveness alone doesn't prompt me to sleep with them or even want to. I would be put off dating someone unattractive however, that would repel me from them a bit. So it's really unlikely i would date them or anything if that was the case. To put it simply:
- attractiveness doesn't make me want to date or sleep with someone
- unattractiveness doesn't make me want to date or sleep with someone

·
Registered
532 Posts
I honestly don't care, and really only have two things that bug me. Someone with really messed up teeth, or grossly overweight. Like, if you can't even control yourself around food, how am I supposed to trust you with something more important, like emotional connection?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts