Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an ENTP roommate and currently have an ENTP friend that are both very neat, tidy, organized people. I know you're saying "so what, not every type fits their stereotype!" but this seems deeper than that. I met an ENFP who was like this as well, and it just doesn't make sense for every person with I've met inferior Si to be like this (I don't meet many intuitives so I have a small sample size).

An INTP who always notices their emotions, is comfortable with the emotions of others, understands basic human bonding, and expresses their emotions freely is not an INTP. Inferior Fe has to be inferior, as does inferior Se. If I was talking about adults who have consciously worked on their inferior functions, maybe it would be different, but all the people in question are teenagers.

I read a description of inferior Si to my ENTP friend and he said "yes, wow that's so me" - yet I'm the one wearing mismatched shoes, and I'm the one with terrible time management. Yes, I have my own problems, but I said that about myself to show that ENTP and ENFPs' Si seems more developed than mine. What gives?

P.S.

The only explanation I can think of is that I go to a very prestigious college where you have to have your life together in order to have accomplished enough to get in here. However 1) I got in while being a mess 2) I'm giving too much credit to my college's selectivity.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just because it's inferior doesn't mean it can't be utilized.

I used to be able to recall everything I needed to do in school without a planner because I absolutely fucking hated having to carry around a shitty book to write what I had to do in it. So I forced myself to remember, and I got through it. I don't do it now, and in fact, I just missed a job interview (woops!) because I didn't put it in my calendar.

If you wear mismatched shoes, you're just lazy (no offense). I don't even have mismatched shoes. How hard is it to keep your shoes together? Do you take one off at the front door and another one off in your bedroom? Or what? I don't understand it. OTOH How many pairs of shoes do you have that it's so hard to wear the same pair of shoes and can't find a matching pair?

It might be more than just "Si" at work here. LoL

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I laughed out loud.

I have two pairs of black slip-on shoes that are very similar so they looked the same when I ran out in the morning. Even when I showed a picture of the mismatched shoes to friends, they thought they were the same pair! The only way to tell the difference is that the shape is slightly different and one shoe has a white detail which the other lacks.

Back on topic - do you have a tidy room, by any chance? Both ENTPs in question have rooms that are impeccable.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Ok, I laughed out loud.
I'm glad you took it well <3

I have two pairs of black slip-on shoes that are very similar so they looked the same when I ran out in the morning. Even when I showed a picture of the mismatched shoes to friends, they thought they were the same pair! The only way to tell the difference is that the shape is slightly different and one shoe has a white detail which the other lacks.
This makes a lot of sense. Okay, so it's not like the shoes are REALLY different haha. I was thinking, how the hell? Like, THEY'RE SHOES! COME ON! LoL

Back on topic - do you have a tidy room, by any chance? Both ENTPs in question have rooms that are impeccable.
It varies from perfectly clean to complete disarray. Usually it's somewhere in between with tidy piles of chaos. Like my laundry basket is overflowing right now, so there are dirty clothes in front of it. Definitely not tidy. But eventually I'll need to do laundry... and I will... and I'll hate it... but it'll get done.

Also when people come over, if they've never been to my house, everything gets picked up.

An example to help me keep things clean:
I hate doing dishes. So I use paper plates and plastic cutlery. It's fairly cheap and I get to spend less time doing dishes! :D WIN!

EDIT: I really should get that spare mattress out of the living room. . . I like it because there's nothing like lounging on a nice mattress in front of the TV and cuddling up, but my kids are a MESS and things get stuck between it and the wall. . . x.x Uggh. I sweep less because of it too. >.>

Reactions: sunlit

·
Registered
293 Posts
The only explanation I can think of is that I go to a very prestigious college where you have to have your life together in order to have accomplished enough to get in here. However 1) I got in while being a mess 2) I'm giving too much credit to my college's selectivity.

Yes - I think you're right. We can develop our inferior Si - it's always there as an inferior function & if I ignore it it doesn't feel right, its always there nagging me: I don't feel at ease if my environment isn't tidy, I don't feel at ease if I don't have some habits & people that ground me, I don't feel at ease if I'm not taking care of my body ....

To be able to think creatively & efficiently with Ne+Ti, I really need to have my Si needs fulfilled, otherwise it just stress me out & I'll not be my best self. So yeah - maybe you've met some well-developed ENTPs who were able to develop their Si in order to be efficient & go to a prestigious college :)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Like the others said, I think it's possible to use functions that are inferior, or even those that aren't in your stacking.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I think type does influence tidiness, but upbringing and habits developed as a result have a lot to do w/ it.

I was raised in a rather messy house by an intp (w/ hoarding tendencies) and entp.

I like to be neat and organized, but it's a low priority for me and my life has always been a mess so I never make enough time to be neat. I find being messy adds stress to my life and is often the result and reflection of stress that's already there. Comparing myself to others I've lived w/ i'm somewhere in the middle. I'll be ontop of hygienic stuff liking cleaning bathroom and kitchen, but I'm a slob with piling and throwing stuff anywhere and never feels like I have a workable place to put everything. People come over and I'll shove everything into draws and closets, but things will soon make their way onto counters and piles on the floor.

I had an ENFP roommate in college and he was OCD-like neat. Room was super organized, kept everything in it's assigned place. Though I've known 2 other ENFPs who have been on the other end of the spectrum, their bedroom will be an explosion of clothes and odd things everywhere

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can not believe until I see it. It is supposed to be something that you can not utilize effectively without some help which we tend to crave. This can certainly happen if that someone lives with person who is good with Si. If that condition holds then I'm not a hopelessly messy person. Without Si influence I really doubt it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yea, I can relate to those ENxPs you know. Organizing and planning make me happy. It requires clarity and knowing your priorities. It's a display of competence.

One easy example: my closet. All my clothes are organized by categories, then a color spectrum from light to dark. I added pretty closet furniture and gorgeous wood hangers for aesthetics. Every time I open my closet doors, I am overwhelmed by its elegance and structure. It fills me with joy and pride. That is how I want to react to every part of my life.

I've given you a simplified explanation of my closet structure, but I think it illustrates the point.

ENTP and ENFPs' Si seems more developed than mine. What gives?
It's an inner desire. Either it's there or it isn't. Sometimes it develops in time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts