Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I read through your essay and I'd say overall you made a lot of good points. Certainly for those of us who experience frequent negative though the true desire is to resolve those thoughts and get rid of them for good, not just temporarily. Especially in situations like the eating disorder example you mentioned above, these intrusive negative thoughts are not only unpleasant but truly harmful because they keep you in a situations where you will never find happiness.

The only exceptions I find to the "displacement is unhealthy" argument is a situation where the severity of the situation causing the negative feelings is not as bad as the feelings themselves or when the negative situation is inescapable. The example you gave of a person with an eating disorder clearly has a situation and set of beliefs to resolve. But some people (like some of the posters in the other thread) experience sad feelings and can't pinpoint a reason and I think if you feel excessive negative/depressed feelings for no reason, then you don't really have a situation to work through other than escaping those negative feelings. The same thing applies if the situation can't be resolved, like the guilt some of the posters in the other thread expressed for being fortunate while others suffered, or even your example of someone who has lost a loved one. Neither of those situations can be truly fixed (unless you can find a way to feed all the world's hungry or bring back your loved one from the dead), so in that instance I think using some means of escapism to experience joy would be beneficial, even if it's artificial joy from watching a funny movie or listening to upbeat music. Research has shown that even when you're not happy smiling and acting happy can improve your mood. When your negativity cannot be cleanly resolved I think occasionally tricking yourself into happy moments through distraction can be a useful tool in getting yourself out of a rut. It's obviously more healthy to eliminate altogether the bad situations in your life that breed negativity, but since that can be a complicated (or sometimes impossible) task, isn't it reasonable to allow yourself a few enjoyable distractions?

Putting aside my small exceptions I think your essay does a good job of explaining how to escape the negativity traps a lot of us get stuck in at some point. I especially like your discussion of how displacement can cause us to judge others for faults we have within ourselves. I've noticed that because INFPs are one of the minority types we tend to express a lot of frustration at other more dominant types when really we are probably just frustrated that we're not more assertive and less sensitive ourselves. I think a lot of us (not just INFPs, but all of the kinda "oddball" types in general) would benefit greatly from valuing ourselves more rather than seeing ourselves as people who have no place in modern society.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.