Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently hopped on to Youtube today and I discovered the latest pbsideachannel, a channel "that examines the connections between pop culture, technology and art," video seen here:

Benevolent host, Mike Rugnetta, in this video discusses and touches on aspects of MBTI and the following:
Introverts are super popular right now, celebrated to the point of meme-level. Stereotypically quiet, smart, and reserved, they are often conflated with nerds (who are also currently deemed awesome according to pop culture). But why do we suddenly want to self-identify as nerds and introverts? Is this popularity connected to technology? Watch the episode and find out!
He also believes that there is a "fetish" for introverts, especially online.

As an (marginally E)NTP, I'm curious as to what introverts think of this relationship between technology and introverts after watching the video, as well as what my Exxx brethren think of this as well. LET THE DISCUSSIONS BEGIN!

I personally believe that IxxP's are awesome because of their general and stereotypical nerdiness, quietness, etc. Some might call it a fetish...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been aware of this "introverts-are-cool" movement for a while now, and as a heavily Enneatype Four introvert, it really irks me. It also seems to be most prominent among teenagers, or maybe I think that way because that's the demographic I spend the most time around and observing. There are girls going out and buying Minecraft t-shirts and wearing fake glasses in an attempt to get in on the introvert craze, and ironically (or maybe not) they're missing by miles. The true nerdy introverts are still ignored while the "fake introverts" are the ones in the spotlight, so I'd have to disagree with the host when he says that introverts are finally getting their turn as the popular persona to be.

I think that it's mostly the introverts who are technologically skilled in areas that appeal to the stereotypical extrovert, such as gaming, that get the attention. Those who don't work in those areas are still largely ignored; I don't think more obscure things like "Oh, I work on the Django web framework" would be very popular online (and by that I mean sites like Reddit and whatnot, not specialized communities like a web development community where Django would be relevant). And then there are the introverts who don't have any technological skill or high intelligence that would make them look "cool" who are still disregarded as well. The introvert fetish doesn't apply to all introverts.

Note that I am a Four and somewhat bitter on this whole nerd and introvert fetish thing, so my opinion would be heavily influenced by that.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This annoys me. Being an introvert is nothing special. Like, absolutely nothing. Take it from an introvert.

The good thing about this craze is that introverts will now slowly get some understanding atleast... BUT for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nerds will never ever be awesome in my book. Well, male nerds anyway. They're just dorks. SOME female nerds are so cute. Velma is one of my most favorite cartoon characters ever. In my opinion introversion/nerdom looks better on females than on males. Anyone agree? Even society thinks like that, a shy/socially awkward girl = cute, a shy/socially awkward boy = dork, loser. It sucks for those (I'm shy/socially anxious, too) but that's how human nature works. I think the reason is female nerds/geeks/introverts have much more interests than their male counterparts that are into a few things only, usually computers and talk all the time about them. I guess women are better at managing their time / keeping their interests more varied. I bet most female nerds have quite active social lives, while male nerds are boring and like doing boring things like being on the computer all day.

And I think glasses look better on females. Sucks that we don't have many female singers with glasses like Lisa Loeb or her:
People Photograph Eyewear Glasses Black-and-white

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the reason is female nerds/geeks/introverts have much more interests than their male counterparts that are into a few things only, usually computers and talk all the time about them. I guess women are better at managing their time / keeping their interests more varied. I bet most female nerds have quite active social lives, while male nerds are boring and like doing boring things like being on the computer all day.
Well, I guess that's a bit generalizing. Yes, society does consider some things cute/feminine, and boys who display the same behaviors are seen as immature and childish and this honestly sucks. Especially when you consider childishness being something often regarded as sexual in women, and that's a bit disturbing, to say the least.

And I don't think girl nerds are especially different from nerds from any other gender. No one acts completely alike, anyway. I'm one of those people who could be on the computer all day, hehe.

But I don't know if internet society especially likes introverts. I remember seeing a post about introverts on 9Gag and 99% of the replies were "Introverts are all freaks" and "You're all glorifying your weirdness." Yeah. One of the reasons I don't go on that site anymore.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think the reason is female nerds/geeks/introverts have much more interests than their male counterparts that are into a few things only, usually computers and talk all the time about them. I guess women are better at managing their time / keeping their interests more varied. I bet most female nerds have quite active social lives, while male nerds are boring and like doing boring things like being on the computer all day.
That's extremely, unbelievably incorrect. Perhaps you're mixing up those who desire to appear nerdy-but-cute-and-interesting, and those who truly enjoy "nerdy" things.

Reactions: Doom

·
Registered
924 Posts
I remember when being a nerd was painful. I remember being the weird kid on the playground waiting to trade Pokemon cards or battle with someone, and how much all the other kids pitied me. Or spit on me.

Even now, even though being a nerd is cool and all my hobbies are cool and sitting in your house hiding from real people drawing pictures all day is seen as legendary, I remember how painful it was. But I did it anyway, because I didn't know how to do anything else.

There are girls going out and buying Minecraft t-shirts and wearing fake glasses in an attempt to get in on the introvert craze
W...what? Really? Fake glasses?

How do these people live with themselves at the end of the day?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been around Tumblr a lot and have noticed how they glorify/mistype introverts over there. Posts are usually the same thing: we're quiet, like to stay at home, very reserved, anti-social, shy, bookworms, blah blah blah. Since introverts tend to spend a lot more time on the internet (as I've observed, I could be wrong) and the internet being a huge part of today's society, I'm not surprised that we're getting more attention. What's most annoying about this 'craze' though is that people tend to take it face value: you're either an I or an E, which in fact, not everyone is extremely either one at all. Also, even though we're getting recognized some people still don't truly understand who/what introverts really are. Long story short: it's annoying and kinda weird.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah this sudden craze over the "nerds" and "introverts" online really bothers me.
A recent situation came to mind when The Perks of Being a Wallflower came out as a movie, and all the most superficial and obviously extraverted people at my school were obsessed with the movie, seriously believing "I am a wallflower!"
I just want to tell them all: No. No, you're not a wallflower. You're just the kind of person a wallflower hates. I'm sorry to burst your bubble xD

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I have also noticed the introvert craze to the point of devaluing extroverts. There's out there tons of "articles" and youtube videos talking about the misconceptions about introverts that has become absurd. It's like common knowledge now and they are still appearing everywhere. I recognize the good intentionality of it, understanding introverts is noble but not at the cost of misunderstanding extroverts. The picture he showed in 01:23 illustrates it well.

I personally type Mike as an ENTP (Ne dominant) or that's how his persona appears like. But he says he is in the middle of the spectrum. I also type other youtubers that self-type as introverts as extroverts. An impression: It feels like extroversion is the plague and it should be avoided by saying we fall in the middle of the spectrum (but we're still introverts). Even me, I could receive that penalty too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have also noticed the introvert craze to the point of devaluing extroverts. There's out there tons of "articles" and youtube videos talking about the misconceptions about introverts that has become absurd. It's like common knowledge now and they are still appearing everywhere. I recognize the good intentionality of it, understanding introverts is noble but not at the cost of misunderstanding extroverts. The picture he showed in 01:23 illustrates it well.

I personally type Mike as an ENTP (Ne dominant) or that's how his persona appears like. But he says he is in the middle of the spectrum. I also type other youtubers that self-type as introverts as extroverts. An impression: It feels like extroversion is the plague and it should be avoided by saying we fall in the middle of the spectrum (but we're still introverts). Even me, I could receive that penalty too.
It's pretty hard to tell whether someone's an introvert or extrovert based on their 'performing' persona through video, though. It would be pretty hard to be a charismatic and entertaining youtuber, while still portraying very obvious introversion. That doesn't mean they are full-on extroverts, it just means they can emphasise those elements while they are in front of the camera.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is no much difference between introverts and extroverts online, as we introverts come here when we feel like talking and we talk just as anyone would and then leave. This is far more likely to show irl.

W...what? Really? Fake glasses?

How do these people live with themselves at the end of the day?

http://global3.memecdn.com/*****-nerd_o_895297.jpg
Keep in mind that at the end of the day you can take glasses off easily and take a look at this:

And my personal favorites:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.