Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why should being emotionally sensitive a weakness? I don't get it. As long as you have the right self restraint, there's nothing wrong with being emotionally sensitive.

Valuing emotions can be useful for feelers as they process their reasoning highly on ideals. As ideals lead to conclusions about values and personal significance, we can find emotional relevances that help us understand multiple different situations that other people face. Humans are personal beings.

Being emotionally honest is not a sign of weakness.

·
Registered
733 Posts
emotional honesty isn't a weakness. I believe when people say being emotional sensitive is a weakness happens when someone reacts inappropriately to a situation, usually out of some form of anger. This type of sensitivity is the kind where someone says something and the other person takes it the wrong way. Now it's given that everyone will misinterpret things here and there but the negative connotation comes from the reaction of the one who perceives an offense. An emotionally healthy person will ask questions to further clarify and/or take time to reflect on what is said or done. Someone who's emotionally "sensitive" as some would say, immediately assumes something bad and goes on the defensive. Soon the person is feeling contempt, anger, betrayal, sadness, and a myriad of other negative emotions even when there was no malice intended.

So the issue is really not about someone having a sensitive emotional gauge, it's really about someone who cannot channel or process their emotions in a healthy manner.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Why should being emotionally sensitive a weakness? I don't get it. As long as you have the right self restraint, there's nothing wrong with being emotionally sensitive.

Valuing emotions can be useful for feelers as they process their reasoning highly on ideals. As ideals lead to conclusions about values and personal significance, we can find emotional relevances that help us understand multiple different situations that other people face. Humans are personal beings.

Being emotionally honest is not a sign of weakness.
the way i view it is that INFPs are like emotion absobers (whether we like it or not). Being in an emotionally charged atmosphere can overwhelm us. Once people get overwhelmed there is a tendency for shutdown.

INFPs need earplugs for the soul

·
Registered
615 Posts
It is not a weakness unless you let it take control of your life, or it harms you more than it helps.
As long as it's not hypersensitivity, emotionally sensitive is actually good in most cases. We're more observational, and in certain jobs that is very valuable. Although it is easy to overwhelm me due to my sensitivity, but generally I can fake it for a long time.

So no, as long as it doesn't kill you or anyone near you, it's not a weakness. XD

Reactions: niki

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Same way being physically sensitive can be a weakness. It causes pain, and pain interferes with making the best decisions, creates a certain bias. It clouds rational thought, takes attention away from other possibly important factors, both emotional and logical, pushes one to certain types of conclusions, takes away energy, takes up time, and can create faults in others out of thin air. Sensitive, in this context, is usually rather the opposite of aware of reality. Pain forces you to pay attention to it at the expense of other things that matter - like the people you lash out at, or the more likely interpretations.

You seem to be conflating to two usages of the word. Sensitive in terms of awareness is not the same as sensitive in terms of reactive. The latter is often a real problem and is usually what people are criticising. Saying sensitive awareness is good does not remotely contradict the idea that reactive sensitivity, particularly hypersensitivity, can be very bad. Nor do they inherantly have to go together - it's not like it's a tradeoff and you can't have one without the other. Reactive emotional hypersensitivity harms other people who don't deserve to be punching bags and it harms oneself -- particularly when a person will not let go of it, thinking one will lose the awareness hypersensitivity as well - which is in fact warped and reduced by the wrong kind of emotional sensitivity clogging up the gears.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
It's really a double edged sword. it helps alot but it isn't always the best when times are bad.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
233 Posts
the way i view it is that INFPs are like emotion absobers (whether we like it or not). Being in an emotionally charged atmosphere can overwhelm us. Once people get overwhelmed there is a tendency for shutdown.

INFPs need earplugs for the soul
That's the way I've always viewed it. There are times when I can feel too much, become overwhelmed by those feelings, and want to shut down as a result.

It's mostly in relation to external events or situations, like say hearing about lots of bad things happening on the news. I've grown to avoid reading those kind of stories at certain times, as to not want to become overwhelmed by what I feel inside.

I love and value how empathetic I can be, but yeah at times earplugs for the soul would be a wonderful thing lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think emotional sensitivity is a weakness at all. If anything, it gives us an advantage to learn how to empathize and sympathize with others, which is a great gift. I know that a lot of people probably couldn't do that if they tried, and it comes to us naturally. What a wonderful thing, to feel!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, on one hand, it's wonderful to have all this empathy and emotional knowledge, especially when it brings others happiness.

But on the other, just being around someone who's very upset, not even at me, causes me a lot of pain and sends me into a panic.

So, yeah, what SenhorFrio said. It's a double edged sword.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Same way being physically sensitive can be a weakness. It causes pain, and pain interferes with making the best decisions, creates a certain bias. It clouds rational thought, takes attention away from other possibly important factors, both emotional and logical, pushes one to certain types of conclusions, takes away energy, takes up time, and can create faults in others out of thin air. Sensitive, in this context, is usually rather the opposite of aware of reality. Pain forces you to pay attention to it at the expense of other things that matter - like the people you lash out at, or the more likely interpretations.

You seem to be conflating to two usages of the word. Sensitive in terms of awareness is not the same as sensitive in terms of reactive. The latter is often a real problem and is usually what people are criticising. Saying sensitive awareness is good does not remotely contradict the idea that reactive sensitivity, particularly hypersensitivity, can be very bad. Nor do they inherantly have to go together - it's not like it's a tradeoff and you can't have one without the other. Reactive emotional hypersensitivity harms other people who don't deserve to be punching bags and it harms oneself -- particularly when a person will not let go of it, thinking one will lose the awareness hypersensitivity as well - which is in fact warped and reduced by the wrong kind of emotional sensitivity clogging up the gears.
I completely agree

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
emotional honesty isn't a weakness. I believe when people say being emotional sensitive is a weakness happens when someone reacts inappropriately to a situation, usually out of some form of anger. This type of sensitivity is the kind where someone says something and the other person takes it the wrong way. Now it's given that everyone will misinterpret things here and there but the negative connotation comes from the reaction of the one who perceives an offense. An emotionally healthy person will ask questions to further clarify and/or take time to reflect on what is said or done. Someone who's emotionally "sensitive" as some would say, immediately assumes something bad and goes on the defensive. Soon the person is feeling contempt, anger, betrayal, sadness, and a myriad of other negative emotions even when there was no malice intended.

So the issue is really not about someone having a sensitive emotional gauge, it's really about someone who cannot channel or process their emotions in a healthy manner.

I agree with that. I am not equating emotional sensitivity to unreasonable crying fits or doing evil simply out of desire for emotional revenge, for example.

I meant being able to understand emotions even underneath the surface level, which can serve as an advantage when it comes to understanding other people's emotional relevances.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is rather a situational matter, rather than absolutist.

Pain can also serve as a teacher for potential profound growth.. People learn from painful situations, even if it means learning from subtle emotions. However, in terms of actions, this does not justify them to lash out irrationally, of course.

However in other cases, pain can be useless and make someone avoid decision making altogether, as well as make the person grow with energy draining delusions, so I agree with your post but in terms of explaining pain in this context, it is more situational.

You seem to be conflating to two usages of the word. Sensitive in terms of awareness is not the same as sensitive in terms of reactive.
I clarified that.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Sensitivity isn't a weakness. Don't believe anyone who says it is. This idea that sensitivity is a flaw is just something insensitive people tell themselves in order to make themselves feel superior so they will feel justified in harming us.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
That is rather a situational matter, rather than absolutist.

Pain can also serve as a teacher for potential profound growth.. People learn from painful situations, even if it means learning from subtle emotions. However, in terms of actions, this does not justify them to lash out irrationally, of course.

However in other cases, pain can be useless and make someone avoid decision making altogether, as well as make the person grow with energy draining delusions, so I agree with your post but in terms of explaining pain in this context, it is more situational.

I clarified that.
Everyone feels pain and thus can learn from it, without having to be extra sensitive. Being especially sensitive to it is more likely to lead to the negative consequences because the effects are stronger - lesser pain leaves more options open in terms of reactions.

If you are asking, then, why people criticise being sensitively aware to emotions, the answer is they generally don't. What they criticise is the other kind - so the entire question, then, is based on a flawed premise. Except those that feel overwhelmed by it, but it's usually more venting than criticism and it is not others that tend to be bothered by it or criticise that one.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the way I've always viewed it. There are times when I can feel too much, become overwhelmed by those feelings, and want to shut down as a result.

It's mostly in relation to external events or situations, like say hearing about lots of bad things happening on the news. I've grown to avoid reading those kind of stories at certain times, as to not want to become overwhelmed by what I feel inside.

I love and value how empathetic I can be, but yeah at times earplugs for the soul would be a wonderful thing lol
Yes at times I wish I can switch off the empath switch too lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
How do you define weakness? Or rather, what trait would you consider weak?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everyone feels pain and thus can learn from it, without having to be extra sensitive. Being especially sensitive to it is more likely to lead to the negative consequences because the effects are stronger - lesser pain leaves more options open in terms of reactions.
It depends. People have different sensitive intensity capacity. A person who cried for nights behind closed doors may not actually be weak, that person can change to become stronger from his or her own experiences. And at times it helps to be able to share that sensitivity with someone else who understands.

Again, it's highly situational.

If you are asking, then, why people criticise being sensitively aware to emotions, the answer is they generally don't. What they criticise is the other kind - so the entire question, then, is based on a flawed premise. Except those that feel overwhelmed by it, but it's usually more venting than criticism and it is not others that tend to be bothered by it or criticise that one.
I am cynical, hah. There are people who have criticized others for merely being more aware in terms of emotional sensitivity.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
It depends. People have different sensitive intensity capacity. A person who cried for nights behind closed doors may not actually be weak, that person can change to become stronger from his or her own experiences. And at times it helps to be able to share that sensitivity with someone else who understands.

Again, it's highly situational.

I am cynical, hah. There are people who have criticized others for merely being more aware in terms of emotional sensitivity.
You confused the terms to begin with - you could easily have confused them then. I haven't heard much criticism among the INTJs who should be likely to engage in this criticism if it exists - sometimes frustration though, at being made responsible for it, which is not quite the same thing. Perhaps I simply do not know people this obnoxious, however.

Crying behind doors is not a sign of strength, though. It can sometimes be necessary, of course, while denial is often more cowardly. It can often, though, be inefficient, so one might not want to indulge in it oneself or get why it is valued so much by others - but that is not the same as criticism, necessarily, though it may feel that way. At its most vehement it is going to be frustration with a person for being in so much pain when one wants to end said pain, for selfish or selfless reasons. The other would be if this sensitivity is used as an excuse for something unhealthy or as a way to devalue others -a la "insensitive pricks who don't get how deep we are" so there is usually something else triggoring the criticism. These seem the more common NT reactions, anyway, from my observations. Other types may differ.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You confused the terms to begin with - you could easily have confused them then. I haven't heard much criticism among the INTJs who should be likely to engage in this criticism if it exists - sometimes frustration though, at being made responsible for it, which is not quite the same thing. Perhaps I simply do not know people this obnoxious, however.

Crying behind doors is not a sign of strength, though. It can sometimes be necessary, of course, while denial is often more cowardly. It can often, though, be inefficient, so one might not want to indulge in it oneself or get why it is valued so much by others - but that is not the same as criticism, necessarily, though it may feel that way. At its most vehement it is going to be frustration with a person for being in so much pain when one wants to end said pain, for selfish or selfless reasons. The other would be if this sensitivity is used as an excuse for something unhealthy or as a way to devalue others -a la "insensitive pricks who don't get how deep we are" so there is usually something else triggoring the criticism. These seem the more common NT reactions, anyway, from my observations. Other types may differ.
The part about ''insensitive pricks who don't get how deep we are''..hmm that's a gray area, people have different boundaries. I think people who are emotionally sensitive should be able to communicate certain boundaries more precisely, to avoid unnecessary damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts