Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why should being emotionally sensitive a weakness? I don't get it. As long as you have the right self restraint, there's nothing wrong with being emotionally sensitive.

Valuing emotions can be useful for feelers as they process their reasoning highly on ideals. As ideals lead to conclusions about values and personal significance, we can find emotional relevances that help us understand multiple different situations that other people face. Humans are personal beings.

Being emotionally honest is not a sign of weakness.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
While being emotionally sensitive isn't a weakness, usually it comes with making crappy decisions due to your judgment being clouded by said emotions. It's just a stereotype that emotional people make bad decisions, thus being emotional is thought of as a weakness.

edit: usually probably isn't even the right word, more like often.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Emotions can be a strength as well as a weakness. Since Feeling is my inferior function I will discuss the weaknesses though I acknowledge that for others it brings great benefits. One weakness is that emotional expression, by definition reveals information about what one values, what one's state of mind is and what one's aversions include. For this reason it is a weakness as it provides an easy target for others seeking to exploit such a vulnerability. Another, as Thrifty Walrus correctly identified, is clouding of judgement and impeding one from objective decision-making. Finally emotions are a weakness to the individual through the very act of experiencing them. The ability to feel great joy necessarily entails the ability to feel tremendous pain. Many INTJs in particular, take the view that limiting the highs is worth it to avoid the lows. (This stands in stark contrast to the INFP philosophy, which is to ride the rollercoaster:laughing:) Clearly both views come with their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think walrus pretty much summed it up.

Being sensitive isn't a weakness. And we all have emotions. Being sensitive can actually be a strength in certain areas, mostly those working with people, social work.

Its just when people allow emotions to be the compass that guides their decisions that it becomes a weakness. Emotions are fickle and irrational. Not a good thing to use to use to help you decide whats best, especially when your decisions will effect people besides yourself. Sometimes the right thing to do sucks and hurts.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While being emotionally sensitive isn't a weakness, usually it comes with making crappy decisions due to your judgment being clouded by said emotions. It's just a stereotype that emotional people make bad decisions, thus being emotional is thought of as a weakness.

edit: usually probably isn't even the right word, more like often.
I understand that crappy decisions based purely on emotions are weak.

However, understanding why certain emotions may arise and the root to such emotions may not be necessarily considered as weaknesses, depending on an individual's subjective landscape and how he/she utilizes his/her experiences with certain emotions.

I was leaning more towards,'' why should we consider evaluating processes and empathetic understanding that are based on ideals/ value judgments as weak if these processes help us understand other people better?''

Some people do make subjective leaps to understand other types of reasoning processes and I don't think it makes them inferior.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think walrus pretty much summed it up.

Being sensitive isn't a weakness. And we all have emotions. Being sensitive can actually be a strength in certain areas, mostly those working with people, social work.

Its just when people allow emotions to be the compass that guides their decisions that it becomes a weakness. Emotions are fickle and irrational. Not a good thing to use to use to help you decide whats best, especially when your decisions will effect people besides yourself. Sometimes the right thing to do sucks and hurts.
I think a completely emotionally unhealthy person wouldn't care about doing the right thing, and I agree that it is a bad thing.

That is my personal opinion, but I think others can relate to it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Emotions can be a strength as well as a weakness. Since Feeling is my inferior function I will discuss the weaknesses though I acknowledge that for others it brings great benefits. One weakness is that emotional expression, by definition reveals information about what one values, what one's state of mind is and what one's aversions include. For this reason it is a weakness as it provides an easy target for others seeking to exploit such a vulnerability.
Oh I see.

As for me personally, I don't see it as a vulnerability though. I can be emotionally honest at one point, though I don't talk about all of my emotions. I have a complex, dramatic emotional landscape :crazy:

Even if other people want to target my emotions as exploitation, I must reaffirm to myself about my values so that I can be balanced about my feelings and thoughts.

Another, as Thrifty Walrus correctly identified, is clouding of judgement and impeding one from objective decision-making. Finally emotions are a weakness to the individual through the very act of experiencing them. The ability to feel great joy necessarily entails the ability to feel tremendous pain. Many INTJs in particular, take the view that limiting the highs is worth it to avoid the lows. (This stands in stark contrast to the INFP philosophy, which is to ride the rollercoaster:laughing:) Clearly both views come with their advantages and disadvantages.
Well when I am optimistic, I see pain in certain situations as a teacher; it brings lessons for potential profound growth.

When I am cynical, I am aware that people can also have the worst of motives behind ''being nice.''

(I am so cynical about most things like you wouldn't believe, that I have to balance my authentic cynical nature with idealism and a staunch firmness in my values)

As for the INFP philosophy, yes, we appear flighty but trust me, we remember the ground more than you might think :crazy:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No, they probably wouldn't care about doing the right thing, I agree. They would care only for that which appeases them.

why should we consider evaluating processes and empathetic understanding that are based on ideals/ value judgments as weak if these processes help us understand other people better?''
Are you looking at this from an outside perspective? I think being sensitive to emotions is good. It's Fe and Fe is a necessary component to functioning in this world. We do need to understand other people and a part of that is evaluating how emotions play into the situation. That's not weak, its smart as long as it doesn't get in the way of doing whats right.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, they probably wouldn't care about doing the right thing, I agree. They would care only for that which appeases them.

Are you looking at this from an outside perspective? I think being sensitive to emotions is good. It's Fe and Fe is a necessary component to functioning in this world. We do need to understand other people and a part of that is evaluating how emotions play into the situation. That's not weak, its smart as long as it doesn't get in the way of doing whats right.
I do agree with that.

When it comes to doing what's right, values play into it and at times, emotional connections are important to further reinforce them.

It certainly doesn't mean resorting to playing emotional blame games or unreasonable crying fits, for example.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Emotional sensitivity can be a weakness if you are sensitive to the point of taking things too personally and being offended at the tiniest slight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts