Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my friend's personality profile recently. It was an INFP, with 51% F and %49 T. This means that he can be an INTP too

But if we look at INTP's dominant function, it is Ti,
Whereas if we look INFP's dominant function, it is Fi

The thing is, Ti and Fi are both demon functions to each other.... The worst function to think off....
My understanding is that a person with dominant Ti will never have Fi and vice versa

Can anyone explain the situation here?

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
I don't ascribe to the connection between MBTI types and cognitive functions. I'm an INFP and our dominant function is supposedly Fi but I don't use that nearly as much as Ne. I actually don't feel particularly connected to Fi.

I consider myself to be in the grey area between T and F. I can flip between the two pretty easily but I think my main state is INFP. However, I don't think the INTP dominant function is my primary function either. From my personal experiences, it seems that MBTI and cognitive functions are not strongly linked although they can often correlate.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I always score borderline on that as well and I honestly don't see why not. It really seems like Ti and Fi are called "demon functions" to make the system look more neat and pretty. I've seen INTP cognitive functions results and many of them scored fairly high on Fi, some with it as their third highest function, even.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The variety of explanations and theories of personality makes it impossible for me to choose one through which I'll express myself. Some theories see the personality as something which you gain at birth and that the functions can not change their position of dominance if you wish them too. This would mean that the functions have physical foothold in your body (genetic). However in neuroscience it is the relationships of neurons which creates an idea/outlook or preference. And it is also stated that those relationships can be broken and assume a different connection thus leading to a different/idea/outlook altogether.

Here is where I'm unsure why then certain personality theories state that a type is "acquired at birth" and it is something you can not change but rather you sometimes explore your not so developed traits. If neuron connections can be completely changed then that would mean the functions and their dominance changes as well which is why I can't see plausibility in the "never changing type" idea. It would mean that, even if you have a mechanicist approach to psychology, that the functions are not in the brain but somewhere else (well heart has neurons too).

The borderline type is something which can serve as a good example of this.

Also, many people stress the importance of using the tests as guidelines not as an explanation of who you are. If you are well aware of both your feeling and thinking sides and put equal stress on them when making decisions then you will of course score as borderline. Bottom line MBTI is not who you are, but who you think you are.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
First of all, something like Ti and Fe would be a better pair to call "demon functions". Ti and Fi are more similar than different. These are both "rational functions" which mean that they are what are responsible for making rational decisions. You can use spacial, geometric reasoning (or logic) to make a decision, and you can also use emotion. Honestly, using both is ideal. I don't see how these interfere with each other in the least as they both look to conform the world to a rational function. As mentioned, Ti/Fe is a completely different story...

·
5,110 Posts
I posted my cognitive function preferences in another thread, and it got me thinking about this topic again. Here's what mine looks like:

Ne > Ni > Fe > Ti > Fi = Te > Si > Se

I'm an INFP, and I score very highly on N (usually 95% or 100%), and somewhere in the 50% - 60% range on F. The cognitive function distribution actually makes sense here: the N functions are front-loaded, because I have such a strong N preference. Conversely, the S functions are at the end. In the middle are the F and T functions, but because of my Fe, I end up on the NF side rather than the NT side. However, my Fi is equal to my Te (and Ti > Fi), so F and T are so close to me that I could sometimes appear to be either.

It appears, at least in my case, that cognitive functions are more accurately tied to the strength of your individual MBTI dichotomies than the type as a whole.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted my cognitive function preferences in another thread, and it got me thinking about this topic again. Here's what mine looks like:

I'm an INFP, and I score very highly on N (usually 95% or 100%), and somewhere in the 50% - 60% range on F. The cognitive function distribution actually makes sense here: the N functions are front-loaded, because I have such a strong N preference. Conversely, the S functions are at the end. In the middle are the F and T functions, but because of my Fe, I end up on the NF side rather than the NT side. However, my Fi is equal to my Te (and Ti > Fi), so F and T are so close to me that I could sometimes appear to be either.

It appears, at least in my case, that cognitive functions are more accurately tied to the strength of your individual MBTI dichotomies than the type as a whole.
Awesome reply!

Can i know where u took the cognitive tests?

·
5,110 Posts
Awesome reply!

Can i know where u took the cognitive tests?
I don't really recall. I pieced it together from a number of sources; tests, my own opinion, and the opinions of those who know me best.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
it's easy to see which is which

whenever you're a smarmie, know-it-all jerk with an answer for everything and who is always right you're in T mode

and whenever you feel like a tired, weak, alone, depressed loser, generally anything negative, you're in F mode

obviously T rocks

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I was looking at my friend's personality profile recently. It was an INFP, with 51% F and %49 T.
This means that he can be an INTP too
No it doesn't.

The four letter abbreviation system is a pock on the ass of personality theory.

But if we look at INTP's dominant function, it is Ti,
Whereas if we look INFP's dominant function, it is Fi
The thing is, Ti and Fi are both demon functions to each other.... The worst function to think off....
What?

My understanding is that a person with dominant Ti will never have Fi and vice versa
The question is one of function order. The functions further down in the order will ba difficult for the person to access.

So someone that's say Te Si Fe Ni

Will be least in touch with Ni, meaning their intuition with reference to themself.

Can anyone explain the situation here?
No.
Go read about it ya lazy bastard, you're only going to get a bunch of bad answers here.
Even my answer is bad since it's colored by the fact that I'm far from an expert.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

I love cookies.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
INFP - Fi,Ne,Si,Te

INTP - Ti,Ne,Si,Fe

The only difference is a polar opposite preference between how each type makes their decisions. it's not as big of a switch compared to the difference between P and J.

keep something in mind, the MBTI types are based off of EXTREME versions of each type. It does not consider balanced people at all.

If you found someone who was completely adept at using all the functions equally and was balanced in all of them you would not ever be able to place them into an MBTI type. the system only works because most people in the world ARE unbalanced, but there are some people it doesn't work for. or in some cases it doesn't work for a certain part of them.

So you're friend is an INXP, meaning he has no real dominant function and also no inferior function. or in his case his new weakness is his Si.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It could also be a question of test accuracy. I often have the feeling that function test questions for Ne and Ni are somewhat similar (or for Fi & Fe, Ti & Te etc.). This could mean that when you're a "heavy user" of one of the two, it could raise your test result for the other.

Now when we take timeless' function order:

It could be that you are either have Ni as your primary function or Ne. Now if you identify a lot with being introverted, it could be that you're actually an INFJ. Fe and Ti fit there as auxiliary and tertiary function and Se is last as inferior function. Ne is skyrocketed by heavy Ni preference. This is all speculation of course :tongue:

The thing with tests is that they can only work with what you put into them. The best tool to find your personality type is still well informed self-assessment...

Reactions: Space Cat

·
Registered
180 Posts
I forgot the main topic. :crazy:

For extraverted perceivers, the switch isnt that big, esspecially when you go with the original jungian system where the primary function is balanced by 3 functions of the opposite direction. So an ENFP would have Ne, Fi, Ti, Si in the original jungian system. As you can see, the auxiliary and tertiary functions are Fi and Ti, which determine the Ne user to be either ENFP (Fi) or ENTP (Ti). So for the extraverts, the F/T switch isnt that big.

For the introverted perceivers, the F/T switch would also be a switch of their primary function, which would really be a harsh one...

The introverted judgers are the same as the extraverted perceivers in this regard (F/T switch is a switch of auxiliary & tertiary function) and extraverted judgers are the same as the introverted perceivers in this regard. Now, for the harsh cases, it could be cases of being an introverted extravert or an extraverted introverts when being tied on F/T and could be taken as a point to for further self-assessment...

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't agree with the idea of being more of a thinker or a feeler than someone else. When people say they're borderline T/F or any function, it almost seems as if they're using MBTI as a full-force description of them and therefore feel the need to pick on it until it fits them exactly. I think that ties in with the fact that there are little stereotypes or traits associated with certain functions that not everyone will fit.

You're either one or the other. And I do tie MBTI in with function theory. It's a lot more reliable to me and I look at MBTI as something much more basic and as more of a starter for someone before looking into their cognitive functions. If you're an INFP, your F will tie into the attitude your Fi gives you. You're simply an F and not more or less of an F than other INFPs.

And I think the percentages given on tests are really only useful when trying to figure out your type. If you do get between F/T, then you could be either. But you're really only one. An INFP might be more likely to score high on the F and an INTP may be more likely to score high on the T, but that's not definite.

Reactions: lirulin

·
Banned
42 Posts
you can be what you want. You just have natural preferences.

Human cognition & awareness will always trump natural preferences. The natural preference of a human baby is to crawl, or wail when it can't get what it wants. We obviously changed THAT over time about ourselves!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My test scores oscillate between T and F, but I'm totally sure that my main function is Feeling. The main factor for my decisions have been my feelings towards myself and people, whether be anger, happiness, sadness, etc... all of them arised by some value or very personal and subjective point of view. It also comes from my desire to understand others' personal point of view, so we can make a consensus to do what's good for everyone and me.

Ultimately, I've been finishing my last grade of high school, which comes with tons of group homeworks, expositions, and a social project that I'm doing with 2 more friends so I graduate from school. This has definately grown several traits that are associated with the Thinking function, particularly Te, such as management, planning, a practical mind, good observation skills, time and resources management, organization of people and stablishing their responsabilities and bondaries. I've also developed some of the negative traits of Te, such as some unpatience, control freakness, and a somewhat dominating personality.

However, I know these traits haven't been all the time in me, they have been developed because of the necessity to respond to the situations I face. That still doesn't mean I've lost traits of my Fe, they still stay in me, together with my grown Te.

The point is that tests just measure in base of the questions it asks. It doesn't consider your past, your background and the situations you face now which may develop your other functions. Some are a little bit superficial, the questions don't get into the test taker's motivations, decision ways, etc... You keep your main functions, but the others will develop in base of the situations you have in life. That's why you have to think very well of the results you have, compare it with the other functions and your reality.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I don't ascribe to the connection between MBTI types and cognitive functions. I'm an INFP and our dominant function is supposedly Fi but I don't use that nearly as much as Ne. I actually don't feel particularly connected to Fi.

I consider myself to be in the grey area between T and F. I can flip between the two pretty easily but I think my main state is INFP. However, I don't think the INTP dominant function is my primary function either. From my personal experiences, it seems that MBTI and cognitive functions are not strongly linked although they can often correlate.
Well look, here's the thing.

The terms Extraverted/Introverted T/F/S/N are descriptions that arise from Jungian psychology. They are co-opted by MBTI. You say that you don't ascribe the connection between MBTI and Jungian cognitive functions, but there you are, using them both together. So which is it? Because you can not take the Jungian functions and apply them to MBTI and then ignore the Jungian order, which is 1 of each Je/Pe/Ji/Pi in a given mindset, in an alternating order.

The fact is that what you are doing by using terms like Ne and Fi is applying Jungian psychology. By using those terms you are using Jungian psychology. It is like taking a train and putting an automobile engine in it. You really can not say that you don't connect MBTI and Jungian psychology, and then reason against Jungian psychology by use of its own terms.

If you prefer MBTI I'm not going to argue with it. Perhaps for some reason or another you get some value out of it despite it being useless as a typological system. But if you do prefer to use MBTI, you should not attempt to take Jungian terms and claim that they can be used in any way you want to because youre using MBTI. It not only doesn't make sense (unless you are openly admitting that you have an inbalanced and broken personality) it is also very intellectually dishonest.

Almost everyone worth listening to in the typology community uses Jungian psychology anyway, and I don't much care for MBTI, but if you are going to use the terms associated and arising from Jungian psychology (i.e., ne/te/whatever) then you should use them as laid out by Jung and not as corrupted by myers-briggs or whoever.

Incidentally with Ne as your dominant that would make you an extravert.

Thinking function, particularly Te, such as management, planning, a practical mind, good observation skills, time and resources management, organization of people and stablishing their responsabilities and bondaries. I've also developed some of the negative traits of Te, such as some unpatience, control freakness, and a somewhat dominating personality.
These are observations of Je and not Te in particular. Fe does all these things, it just does it according to a system of values as opposed to a system of thoughts.

Reactions: lirulin
1 - 20 of 37 Posts