Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two jobs right now. One is an internship with an environmental NGO and the other is a waitressing job, to pay my way through university.
I remember first reading the description for the INFP type and there was a section that said "An INFP might spend forever meticulously picking a speck on their project booklet, but fail to notice a stain on the carpet for a year." or something like that.
I didn't really relate at first, but now that I'm more engaged in the workforce I can completely understand. My bedroom is littered with dirty paintbrushes. My entire wardrobe is sprawled out on the back seat of my car, as well as sleeping bags, bug spray, and various old papers and forms. But, at my waitressing job, I pour a little bit of water into each glass at a time to make sure all 10 of them have the same amount of ice. I stack all the dirty plates and bowls with their own kind in the dish pit when the other servers just throw them there and get back to whatever they were doing, and I'm constantly at the whiteboard erasing and making neat little X's and time stamps next to the reservations as they come and go.
Same with my internship, and my school assignments. I'm absolutely meticulous, and everything has to be perfect and neat and uniform and flawless. In every other regard, I'm all over the place.
What are your work habits like? How do they differ from your other habits? Are they consistent?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Very perfectionist oriented. It stems from my need to be the best that I can be and show that to others as well. Most people don't really have that quality.
INFP's can be some of the most hardworking people in the world. But are probably the least recognized of the lot. It gets inconsistent when I'm in a particularly down/bad/depressed mood. It doesn't work well though, as when your superior has come to expect your performance at a certain level, when I'm down I'm really down and if they can't understand why they tend to think that I've stopped caring about my job.

My work habits defer quite a bit in that my personal space is usually an utter mess. =P

But thats really ok as long as its a hygienic and clean mess and I look to take care of it a few times a week.

So yeah word of advice, don't try too hard as people even your co-workers will learn to depend on you for it. Basically if you cover for their slack out of the kindness of your own heart they sometimes (depending on their character of course) will take advantage of that. This holds true with supervisors and managers who seek to only be profitable in their business and don't look to develop their workforce. Do your job to the best of your abilities but don't over due it, and don't expect people to come to your aid if you fall into trouble. Harsh reality life lesson no. 107 =(

When it comes to your own stuff though put in a 200%. Its best to be that way. When people need help and ask for help help.
Otherwise try and leave space for yourself.

Reactions: Meowmixmuffin

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had someone comment that I must be a very orderly and clean person at my old job as I organized my desk, I just laughed at him because while I spent a lot of time making the office look presentable, my room at home had clothes flung everywhere with junk strewn across my home desk.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Varied by how stress is managed and how social-emotional energy is conserved. For example how I prefer minimal clutter, offer small hints of warmth and empathy, uneven eye gaze so I can divide time between work tasks and chat, phase people out when working, prefer not to mix personal social life with work life hours even if I know the person (so often the work scene can be a hub of gossip and information collecting) and strive to be more concise in expressing my observations or emotional undercurrents.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
At my summer job this year, I basically had to mask any trace of being an intelligent person.

They don't want you comin' 'round here with all that book-readin'.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@UtterMess ,
I know what you're saying. The last week and a half or so were really rough on me and I was not feeling myself at all. It really showed when I was at the restaurant - When you're already having a shitty time and you have to go throw yourself into a high-stress environment like that, at the peak season when the head Chef is away on vacation... Well, sometimes you get a little cranky. But, my co-workers aren't used to seeing me like that - I'm typically all smiles at work, but for most of last week I felt like I was ready to just hurl the plates over the side of the deck and walk the hell home. I kept it together, I didn't pitch a fit or anything but it was painfully obvious that I was in a foul mood. Unfortunately I'm an open book. I can't hide it when things are really bothering me. My boss was pretty sour at me for that.
But, that being said, I am lucky enough to be in a work environment where my co-workers and my bosses are really wonderful people. Sometimes they drive me up the wall (like when there's two servers on and you have a full house inside and outside, and both of the poor girls are obviously just trying to get by juggling all the tables as best they can, and someone comes in without a reservation, so your boss RUNS DOWNSTAIRS to get a FOLD-OUT-TABLE from her office so that they have somewhere to sit... And then gets upset when they don't get good service.). But, my boss is very loyal and very good to the employees that are good to her. She's intuitive about people's intentions. I may disagree with most decisions she makes regarding how to run her business, but she's very good at human resources and tries to make things work for everyone as much as she can. Her heart is in the right place. Not to mention, this restaurant is her retirement fund. I'm not about to screw that up for her by not being the best I can possibly be.
There's only one other server who I ever have to pick up slack for, which is funny, because she used to pick on me and try to get me fired because she felt I was too young to be serving fine dining. But, when there's dirty plates haphazardly left in a disarray around the dish pit, or plastic wrappers thrown in the compost bin and other irritating careless things like that, the whole kitchen knows for damn sure that it's not me, so that's all I really care about. I would rather shoulder having to clean up after her mess than have the poor dishwasher overwhelmed with this mountain of shit she doesn't have a chance to get too because she's too busy scraping plates off and sorting trash because one server isn't doing her job.

tl;dr It's annoying, but if I have to clean up after a bad coworker in order to protect a good one, I'll do it. :p

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At my summer job this year, I basically had to mask any trace of being an intelligent person.

They don't want you comin' 'round here with all that book-readin'.
Good god. What was your summer job?

Reactions: Monsieur Melancholy

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
Good god. What was your summer job?
Basically a group of students hired to handle various odd jobs around a small town of less than a thousand people. It has more to do with the town than the job, really.

Let me put it like this: I'm kind of different from most people here. You say "American Pie" to me and I think of the song by Don McLean. They, on the other hand, will think of the movie. They were difficult to talk to sometimes.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
tl;dr It's annoying, but if I have to clean up after a bad coworker in order to protect a good one, I'll do it. :p
You're quite lucky then. I was just giving the worst case scenario aspect of reality that I personally had to face at some points in time. If you can find good people then it just makes a world of difference. Also its nice if you can let them know in small ways, like tell them why something is upsetting you. Not an entire rant into something as not a lot of people are comfortable shouldering a lot of emotional baggage, but just a little thing so that they are reassured that it is not completely your fault for you feeling that way.

For example if someone asks you why you are feeling a particular way don't brush it off as nothing. INFP's are guilty of doing this because we are capable of shouldering much heavier emotions than most. Instead give reason and evidence, let people know why.

Reactions: Meowmixmuffin

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically a group of students hired to handle various odd jobs around a small town of less than a thousand people. It has more to do with the town than the job, really.

Let me put it like this: I'm kind of different from most people here. You say "American Pie" to me and I think of the song by Don McLean. They, on the other hand, will think of the movie. They were difficult to talk to sometimes.
I think it's a function of living in a small town. Little fishing community on the East Coast of Canada - There were about 400 kids in my high school, and it was always like you said. Then again, it was high school. I spend most of my time in the city now and pretty much just go home to sleep, eat and have bonfires, so I'll probably never know if the idiocracy was a function of my community or just a part of high school, but if I had to guess I'd say it was a bit of both.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I think it's a function of living in a small town. Little fishing community on the East Coast of Canada - There were about 400 kids in my high school, and it was always like you said. Then again, it was high school. I spend most of my time in the city now and pretty much just go home to sleep, eat and have bonfires, so I'll probably never know if the idiocracy was a function of my community or just a part of high school, but if I had to guess I'd say it was a bit of both.
Whoa whoa, hold up... little fishing community on the east coast of Canada?

Where are you from? :shocked:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn girl, I'm from Newfoundland myself. Good to meet ya. :proud:
My Nana is from the Pool's Cove / Belleoram area! :) Small world huh? I haven't been there yet myself but I'm looking forward to taking a trip over, I've had my eye on Iron Skull Folk Festival for a few summers now.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
My Nana is from the Pool's Cove / Belleoram area! :) Small world huh? I haven't been there yet myself but I'm looking forward to taking a trip over, I've had my eye on Iron Skull Folk Festival for a few summers now.
I live pretty close to where the ferry docks. :proud:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts