Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an INFJ friend in the US (I'm in Canada) and we send "Marco Polos" aka video messages on our cell phones to each other each day, usually discussing MBTI. She mentioned I seem to have a bad memory, bringing up topics I've already discussed just a few days before.

My friends and family give me a rough time for my memory all the time. The other two ENFPs I know in real life have similar memory issues. I think it's a case that we move so quickly from idea to idea, we don't dwell on many thoughts for long...They're kind of in and then out almost as fast.

Have any of you been accused of a poor memory?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have the memory of a goldfish.

Reactions: Moby

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sometimes my memory is bad and other times it works. Overall I don't think I have a very good memory. I lose objects quite often, I don't pay my bills on time and I can't remember which stories I've told to which friends.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Good memory for things people have told me about themselves and for who I've asked / told about what.

So-so memory about details in movies and motivations of characters.

Lousy memory of childhood. It's mostly a haze with, like, 3 things that stand out to me.

Details IDC about? Forget it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't know if I actually have a bad memory or not. I'd say it's more like SELECTIVE :) I do remember some complaints about not remembering "important stuff" when I was in my previous relationship with potentially higher Si type. But that was mostly about tangible or people-oriented information or about surroundings (some stuff left lying around the room which shouldn't be there) which I didn't consider important for myself to remember in details.

I need to work with quite many details everyday and it won't be possible without memorizing quite many things - probably nobody could do it without. By selective I mean we tend to pick up pieces of information which really help us to "survive" and move on. Questions like "when did this happen, what day?" etc are just often not interesting for us. Also something we can make fun out of, are easy to remember for me :)

But yeah, compared to INFPs I know, mine is definitely much worse than their detail memory. On the other hand, INFJ I'm in relationship with, has almost no orientation towards the past compared to even ENFP and she even sometimes wonders how I remember some details :)

When I recently studied and quite well understood about what Si is, I noticed that I actually use it a lot more related to learn and memorize things from past than I thought before. It's interesting that it's so subconcious that you just don't even notice many aspects in yourself which actually do base on Si :) Main reason here seems to be that when you're healthy, Ne almost always overpowers Si so you easily start to think it's Ne only :)

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
What were we talking about?

Oh, right.

My memory is awful in all practical fields it seems. I don't remember if we've already had this conversation, or the details of what happened the other day other than "we did X" or remembering to do that really important thing that I've managed to delay for months or remembering which direction I just came from after I got distracted and spun around 360°. It bothers me how weak my memories are. It's probably all to do with Si that needs training.

·
Registered
15,336 Posts
Good with remembering conversations and events I enjoy (I can go into details) , what I learned often stays in me for a while , what I read as well

Horrid with short term memories- remembering what I said ( hence I might tell the same stories over and over again ), step by step procedures

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moby

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Sometimes I feel like a little person living inside my own head, narrating my life as it happens. Things that are thematically important to the narration are easier to remember. Other things, I have to make a point to remind myself to remember.

I reread things I've previously written and marvel at my own insight...as if the past version of myself was wiser and more eloquent, but will generally have no memory of writing it.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Fi is good at memory when there are feelings. I remember song lyrics and music the best.
When I was around 10-- I think-- SEE? Here memory is not clear on the age.... We went to The Little Mermaid the first good Disney movie in a decade-- -my mom and sisters and I we were all SO moved! I went home with the song "Part of Your World" roaring in my brain all night and the next day and until today. I remember music and melody and much of lyrics whenever I love them. If I didn't care for the song it won't stick too much. Music is my biggest thing to remember and recall very clearly like a radio. I remember things about people, more so when I care about them.
If there are feelings going on.... I'm gonna remember stuff.

Reactions: Fru2

·
Registered
734 Posts
I always say I'm better at remembering lessons than details.(*) I don't think ENFPs have better or worse memory than other types, but the world is so sensor driven that our brand of memory often appears strange or even "useless" to them. Yeah, people are always getting onto me about my memory, but then they're perplexed at how quickly I learn and how I make connections and understand things and make outcome predictions faster than they do. Intuitors are the Absentminded Professors of the MBTI world. 😉

(*Here's an example: While typing this response, I originally phrased that as "better with details than lessons." Hey, all you ENFPs here -- raise your hand if you're better with details than anything else!! ...Nope, didn't think so! XD)

Reactions: tarmonk and Fru2

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I remember stuff that matters. When a person or an idea fits into my web of intuition very nicely, I'm going to spot it at the first instance, and remember it basically forever. There are certain interactions with people, certain events and certain songs that made me feel a certain way, and are now engraved onto who I am. When I have one of those moments I just know, and whenever I recall it I can tell how I felt, what I thought and what kind of purpose and lesson that memory brings with it. Just like Llyralen, when a song speaks to me, I will memorize it and replay it in my head whenever I want to.

BTW, when I tell friends about those memories I tend to have this spark of confidence and their eyes light up. I call it the chieftain mode.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a pretty good memory. For the most part. And usually on certain things. I am pretty imaginative and can sometimes be a bit up in the clouds, and this causes me to miss practical details and not be able to remember them from later. But I CAN remember almost every detail from a story I am reading, from stories I have created in my head, and similar information. :)

I have forgotten most of my very childhood memories, though some things stick out. This is probably because I am a more future-oriented person, and didn't experience a lot of trauma in childhood that would be super memorable (I have great parents and had a pretty good childhood). But anyway, I tend to look more to the future and push other things I don't feel I need or that aren't important to me out of my head.

Interestingly, I am pretty good with recalling verbatim conversation. I think this has something to do with how I am very auditory, and tend to pick up and remember sounds (especially music!!) exactly how they were. Or maybe this is because I value accuracy of information.

I am also an INFJ. Interestingly, I do something similar with my INTJ/ISTJ friend who lives in another country. We send each other cat memes. :)

Thanks for your post, interesting subject!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts