Personality Cafe banner

How is your work ethic?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see what ISTJ work ethic is overall as it is not composed of strictly Enneagram 1's, but seems to include some 5's and 9's as well.

My work ethic is born out of debt. Where does your will to work come from?

·
Registered
401 Posts
This poll seems kinda vague to me. I'm kinda in between the first two choices, although I picked the second. I can be choice one when I want to, but I don't run at full force all the time or nearly all the time. More about 65-75 percent of the time.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Curious to see what ISTJ work ethic is overall as it is not composed of strictly Enneagram 1's, but seems to include some 5's and 9's as well.

Very strong work ethic, from nature and nurture.

If you are not gainfully employed, I am very suspect of you as a person.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The ambition to rise through the ranks of society!
(Gotta make your own destiny, pave the way for yourself, yeah?)

More realistically, to be able to provide for my future family.

More ideally, to be the best that I can be in my field of expertise.

More immediately, to get the hell out of school already.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I voted the second option as well, because the first option (as someone else said) seemed a little extreme. I probably fall between the first and the second one (even though everyone else says I'm crazy because I work, go to school, etc., etc., etc.).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Extreme is O.K. because that describes me well. I know I've posted this elsewhere, but I've been told I raise the bar too high.

Work is where my ISTJ comes out to play. I'm very focused. Very detail oriented. VERY methodical. I don't tolerate incompetence very well. (Although where I work I've had to learn to deal with it. Which is what has led me to this forum. I'm really tired of my career, after being in it for 34 years. It's become a slow painful death. In searching for something new, my wife suggested doing a Myers-Briggs test to find something compatible with who I am.):frustrating:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Relentless if it's something I'm motivated to do. This semester I've decided to keep working and work Mon/Wed/Fri and taking all of my classes on Tues/Thurs. I also am determined to keep my raid schedule in the video game I play online (World of Warcraft). My group meets 4 nights a week, Tues/Wed/Thurs/Sun from 8:00pm - 11:30pm. I made a schedule in Google Calendar and synced it to my cell phone so everything is planned and I can do all of those things. Now I have to study on weekends, but it's worth it to me. I spent 6 hours straight studying and doing homework last night so I could play World of Warcraft tonight :laughing:

If I'm asked by my father to help him with something I hate (helping him put down mulch every year or misc outdoor activities that involve manual labor) I'm pretty much worthless. I frustrate him so much that he doesn't even ask me to help anymore. I don't do it on purpose, but I just have a hard time finding the motivation to help with something like that.

Also, on that ennegram thing I got like 5w6 or something like that? I think 5 was highest by 1, 4 was just behind, and 6 was 1 behind that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I voted for the second choice, but could very well be the first choice. If something I'm excited to do....very focused and would sacrifice everything to get a project completed. When I was first introduced to this industry, I really fall in love with it, but after 27 years, love as turned to disgust. It could be just my current employer. Thinking of going back to school to learn a new career.

Maybe need to take some more Myers-Briggs test to see which direction I should travel.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
ISTJ are amazing in work ethic, sterotypically. Which make them so much different than ENFP, and also great for them.

It's also very noticeable in the way they carry themselves. Pictures often exemplify that - such as in this thread

Reactions: niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I selected the first choice. For me, I prefer staying really busy all day long. If I've got enough work and goals to accomplish, I'll work from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. with almost no let up. And that's on my day off! :shocked::crazy::cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I selected the first choice. For me, I prefer staying really busy all day long. If I've got enough work and goals to accomplish, I'll work from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. with almost no let up. And that's on my day off! :shocked::crazy::cool:
A guy that works with me thinks it's funny he has to regularly remind me it's lunch time :crazy:

Years ago when we were REALLY busy all the time, coworkers accused me of having a cot behind my machine :proud:

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
To elaborate on what I posted previously:

*IF* it is important to me, then I will be relentless in my efforts (school, etc.). However, as I have gotten older, I have discovered that if I am not acknowledged in some fashion for what I do (for instance, at work) or if my efforts are basically ignored repeatedly (IOW, if someone that isn't skilled in the areas that I am decides to usurp my responsibilities and THEN wonder why the job isn't done correctly and wants me to bail them out at the last second), then I am disinclined to work myself to the bone in those areas.

IOW:
1. You ignored my efforts.
2. You thought your way was better and did not bother to consult me on my opinion.
3. You usurped my responsibility and did the job willy-nilly.
4. You then realized you did it horribly.
5. Your deadline was fast approaching.
6. You wanted me to bail you out at the last second, because you took me for granted and assumed that I would in fact bail you out.

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing repeatedly and expecting the same result. I got tired of it, so I put my foot down and said NO. Consequently, that particular area is an eyesore; however, I have made it perfectly clear to TPTB WHY it is in the condition that it is in, and have informed said PTB that if I am once again granted the proper authority to do this particular job AND enforce my authority in this area, it will once again be done to my specifications and my satisfaction. I have not yet heard anything back, so I must assume that TPTB are okay with this area remaining in the condition that it is in. Therefore, I refuse to "be insane".

HTH

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't voted so that I didn't pollute your poll but I would take the first one. When there is very little to do I will take the time to eat. Else there is usually no breaks or lunch. Some people ask me(jokingly) if I have a bed somewhere and never gets home. Sometimes it feels like other people slows down just because they know I will pick up the slack. That irritates me. I would love to be somewhere with almost only ISTJs as coworkers.

idiris, I got an younger ENFP(presumably) that does a very good job and can be depended on, one of the best actually. At first I thought she where an ESTJ when observing here from afar but after speaking with her I say ENFP. Maybe I should ask her to take the test when she gets back from her vacation. She may be the super worker of all ENFPs?
There is also another elder ENFP/J(also a guess) but she really doesn't put in any effort at all and is usually very cranky. She spends most of her time talking, usually about her children. And, she wants a raise!

·
Registered
47 Posts
A guy that works with me thinks it's funny he has to regularly remind me it's lunch time :crazy:

Years ago when we were REALLY busy all the time, coworkers accused me of having a cot behind my machine :proud:
I have been accused of the same when I was working in production. Actually there were times I slept in the first aid room on the couch or slept in my car in the parking lot instead of driving back and forth to my home, I lived 45 minutes away, each way, at the time.

Reactions: niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
To elaborate on what I posted previously:

*IF* it is important to me, then I will be relentless in my efforts (school, etc.). However, as I have gotten older, I have discovered that if I am not acknowledged in some fashion for what I do (for instance, at work) or if my efforts are basically ignored repeatedly (IOW, if someone that isn't skilled in the areas that I am decides to usurp my responsibilities and THEN wonder why the job isn't done correctly and wants me to bail them out at the last second), then I am disinclined to work myself to the bone in those areas.

IOW:
1. You ignored my efforts.
2. You thought your way was better and did not bother to consult me on my opinion.
3. You usurped my responsibility and did the job willy-nilly.
4. You then realized you did it horribly.
5. Your deadline was fast approaching.
6. You wanted me to bail you out at the last second, because you took me for granted and assumed that I would in fact bail you out.

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing repeatedly and expecting the same result. I got tired of it, so I put my foot down and said NO. Consequently, that particular area is an eyesore; however, I have made it perfectly clear to TPTB WHY it is in the condition that it is in, and have informed said PTB that if I am once again granted the proper authority to do this particular job AND enforce my authority in this area, it will once again be done to my specifications and my satisfaction. I have not yet heard anything back, so I must assume that TPTB are okay with this area remaining in the condition that it is in. Therefore, I refuse to "be insane".

HTH
Oh yeah.:laughing: I completely agree with this. In fact, almost any one of these is enough to torpedo any desire to help someone.

Reactions: Sela

·
Banned
17 Posts
My work ethic is pretty efficient. I am a big nerd and I read productivity books and websites in my free time :blushed:. It allows more time for play though so I don't care :happy:.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a strong work ethic when I choose to use it, which is usually only during work and school :blushed:. I get really worn out because of my prolonged attempts of acting sociable during school and learning to work alongside 6 extraverted feelers (evilness reincarnated :crazy:). During the evening, I enjoy to kick back and recharge by reading, watching tv, or playing video games. My ENFP mom tells me I'm lazy during the summertime, when I really just want to recharge from a long year of part time work and schoolwork :laughing:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts