Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a new school, only two close friend previous school and we're still in contact (don't know how long it would last with me being, well, me) and I only have classroom friends, two in human bio, one in english, an acquaintance in both photography and graphic design, none in math and psych and no hang out friends either. So my question is how long would it take for an INFP like me, who has a loving parent that don't have much interset in my personal life and a lil sis who's opposite to me, would last? as in a sense of emotional:crying: and mental:unsure: state that is.

·
Banned
867 Posts
Two years and still going. Although my mom and brother might count.

If you find a hobby or some very introverted outlet you could last a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't had any close friends for the past years, didn't have any really good friends in school either, do I feel deprived?
No not at all, I actually feel quite alright.
Now, I guess it really depends on the person with this, I can spend days without any human contact and not feel any different but I know some infp people just need some friends to not go completely insane.
I scored pretty high on introvertedness so it's not all too unexpected.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm a person who needs company to sustain myself. But even if I end up with none, I'll still survive somehow... just that my mind will be in a total mess. If I'm really desperate, I'll give my friends a ring and see who's willing to be my company. They're never far away.

I don't know if you're comfortable making new friends (well, that's the problem with us INFPs) but it's worth a try. Take hold of any opportunities that come your way and strike a conversation with someone, and who knows, a friendship is born!

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can last quite a long time, but sometimes it will be more difficult and sometimes it gets a little easier. I find it depends on how content I am generally and how much I'm doing and have to look forward to. I've gone most of my life without close friends. It's something I really wish for and can't understand why it's so difficult for me, but there's only so much I can do about it.

Take this time to focus on yourself. Don't dwell too much on not having close friends. Make sure you are doing stuff you enjoy to distract yourself from those thoughts, and you might find some friends in the process. :) Be positive and open to others who might also be looking for friends.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have classroom friends, you are doing pretty well so far. :) Give it all some time and try to attend events where you might see those people. Also, talk to the adults around you and get to know them a little bit and let them know you. As they get to know you, they might be able to introduce you to some potentially-compatible people your own age who are new to the area or transitioning out of a friend group.

Since you are already making classroom friends, I don't think you will be friend-deprived for long. I lasted in a friend-deprived state for about 4 years and am glad I finally found a few new people.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have classroom friends, you are doing pretty well so far. :) Give it all some time and try to attend events where you might see those people. Also, talk to the adults around you and get to know them a little bit and let them know you. As they get to know you, they might be able to introduce you to some potentially-compatible people your own age who are new to the area or transitioning out of a friend group.

Since you are already making classroom friends, I don't think you will be friend-deprived for long. I lasted in a friend-deprived state for about 4 years and am glad I finally found a few new people. I don't get the sense you are heading for anything that dire!

·
Registered
603 Posts
i'm walking away from my university foundation year with about 2 friends (an ENTP, an ENFJ) and an aquaintance. they're enough. the ENFJ has a strong Fe-need to be around people/not be alone, so i like to take advantage of his lack of introversion and go seek him out when i need company.

i understand your loneliness. university has been extremely hard for me since i left behind a circle of 10ish friends from college (i guess that's a decently high amount for an INFJ, heh!) and not only did i find that there really weren't many people like me, but many of my old friends changed, badly, including the guy i was seeing from that group (unhealthy ENFP). university, all in all, has been an experience that to be honest, i'd 95% rather have forgone. however, i'm grateful for those 2 friends.

my advice to you is try to establish more of a friendship between those friends you have already made and make the effort to keep in contact with your previous-school friends. if you don't, it's too easy for them to slip away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had to go through nearly all my childhood without close friends... You will get used to it but best of luck to you, it's not easy! Get involved (i know it sucks) and try to socialize with people you share similar interests with. After years of loneliness I finally found a group of friends i can trust with my life and it feels incredible :) You'll get there!

Reactions: MelBel

·
Registered
255 Posts
Is there anyone you can talk to who's not at school, like maybe a family member (in your extended family) you're close with? What about joining a club or just going online to meet people with similar interests?

Anyway, I feel you. I spent last summer completely alone and feeling very sad until I went to see family and was reminded that there are people in this world who love me very much. If you wanted some advice, mine would be this: be comfortable with yourself. High school is a place where nearly everyone is insecure (but they just hide it) and you can take refuge in the fact that most people, if not everyone has been in the same situation as you. Figure out an interesting hobby or a challenge that makes you feel good about yourself and remember to not stop reaching out, because one day you'll have a group of friends you love, but also know that there's really nothing wrong with being alone.

The idea of empty space is scary because we're usually trained to fill it up, make some conversation, but sometimes it's okay to just breathe in it and relax. You can trust yourself to be happy in times when you have friends and when you don't have friends.

·
Registered
131 Posts
9 Years and still going strong here. My family could care less about understanding how I work (not to mention my parents are divorced, so I have 4 families). I only had classroom friends in middle and high school. Today, I only talk to two of them (both very rarely). Once I got to college I made friends with two guys on my floor. I transferred after a year and at the end of the this year I ended up gaining a single female friend (and losing my girlfriend of three years).

So in terms of good friends, I have three. And right now, that's enough for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts