Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your MBTI type and what kind of loop applies to that type? Have you had a lot of experiences with it? What is it like for you and how do you find you get out of it?

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
ISTP Ti-Ni loop: An ISTP in a Ti-Ni loop overanalyze situations, getting stuck in their head and find themselves unable to act on any of their beliefs. They may become convinced that they are completely right and know best in any situation, also becoming overly anxious in situations and mentally pick them apart in an attempt to understand them. They will also become overly worried about the long term implications of an action or the underlying meaning beyond what they see on the surface, and have trouble acting in the moment.

I have had a lot of experiences with this loop when I am unhealthy. I worry about something that will happen in the future and think of all the negative possibilities that could happen, but find myself not taking any preventive measures even if I am able to analyze and come up with them. I also disregard the advice that others give me because I think that my own solutions are the only way and I'm the only one who understands, even if I don't do anything about the problems.

I'm not sure what exactly causes me to get out of these loops. Usually I just need time to cool down and think things through clearly after I've distracted myself with something unrelated that is cathartic or pleasing, such as watching something enjoyable on television or listening to music that I enjoy for an extended time.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Do people believe that there is only one type of loop for each type? I don't.

I believe I've experienced both a Fi-Si loop and a Ne-Te loop.

Fi-Si was me when I was caught in depression. Without Ne I lose hope and joy in life. My Fi starts to project a very black and white view on everything such as "good" and "evil". Si projects a paranoia for me but it can also manifest itself in other ways during this loop. One such way, as it's my inferior with no Ne to help me project what could be based on what I know to be, is that it gets stuck in the past. I overanalyze what has been more than what I should do now and that becomes a crippling moment of passivity. Change scared me. One positive thing that came out of it all is that I managed to realise things that I had done that I refused to blame myself for. I managed to discover uncomfortable traits about myself and that helped my growth. But in general Fi-Si made me call victim. It made me presume I had every illness and people were malicious because of that black and white morality. When Ne kicked back in those people were good again in my eyes because I was no longer focusing on one aspect that made them look bad.

Ne-Te loop is much more fun and without any introspection you don't notice the destruction you are causing to yourself. It's gluttony at its greatest. Jumping from thrill to thrill, keeping yourself busy probably because you know that as soon as you slow down you are going to have to look at yourself or take responsibility for something. It's dream and then execution. In a way it's what they describe mania to be but it doesn't have to be that extreme. It's hard to jump out of this loop because as soon as you do it means becoming overwhelmed at looking at the emotions you ignored or the people you left behind without a second thought.

Reactions: OliveBranch

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I don't subscribe to the theory of dom-tert loops, they don't have any foundation in Jungs work using the function stack we all apparently adhere to.

IMO, the best places to look for how the types react when under stress, are Personality Types: An Owners Manual by Lenore Thomson and Was That Really Me? by Naomi Quenk.

Lenore Thomsons book has some great information regarding the tertiary problem, and it's detailed in a way that makes sense - i.e the tertiary function essentially acting as a function that justifies the dominant functions thoughts when the inferior function starts to pull you away from reality.
Basically, the tertiary function is a temporary solution to problems - i.e Fi saying "yes, these people are all dickheads!" - it soothes you, momentarily - but it doesn't fix the problem - need to apply the auxiliary function to yourself, for permanent solutions.

Naomi Quenks book is brilliant and doesn't touch the tertiary functions at all iirc, it's all about the inferior function and is far more relevant and easier to relate to than anyone spewing off anything about their 'dom-tert' loops.

Reactions: saph
1 - 5 of 5 Posts